Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Replacing Callings with Bounty Vault System

I like the emphasis on bounties in Diablo games. You cannot get away by not doing them because they are so essential. Best part about it they are short and rewards are sweet.

Here is what I'm thinking.

• Your callings becomes condensed into one fat bounty board or game menu.
    • World quest required for those bounties becomes kill orders.
    • World quests that involve, puzzle, minigame and similar caliber gymnastics are completely optional and doesn't play any part in your bounty system.

Giving more love for people who gives zero flying fuck to engage in stressful and socially oppressive activities is a good thing. You would be able to have your Bounty Vault on reset day with an item level that is appropriate to world content and slightly above.

/Peace
    Last edited by neik; 2022-08-28 at 02:23 AM.

So you're basically advocating for no changes to how things work and just change names? Callings to "bounties", world quests to "kill orders", etc?

Because, really, I don't see any kind of meaningful change your ideas would bring.

I'm a bit lost as to the 'idea' here, especially if it's supposed to, as you say, 'change nothing'.

There is currently a calling variant already that can be completed in pretty much any fashion desired, world quests, treasure chest spawns, rare kills, and dungeon boss kills. Are you proposing that this be the only form of calling every day? Because I guess I could get behind that. Not the exclusion of certain world quests that you happen to not like. But the rest of it, I'd be fine with.

If that's not what you're proposing, I'm... gonna need you to elaborate slightly.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    So you're basically advocating for no changes to how things work and just change names? Callings to "bounties", world quests to "kill orders", etc?

Because, really, I don't see any kind of meaningful change your ideas would bring.
    Looks like he just wants all world quest that aren’t kill X big mob to not count for callings/chest so you can just fly around kill 4 mobs and be done.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Looks like he just wants all world quest that aren’t kill X big mob to not count for callings/chest so you can just fly around kill 4 mobs and be done.
    Sounds good to me, Shadowlands multi-step WQ are a pain lol

World quests are definitely getting stale and could use a update, I would like to see zones be kind of a combo of guildwars 2 and mechagon. Fast paced, random stuff happening all over the zone, the larger the population of the zone, the more things happen. Your UI will alert you as to what's happening and you fly or ride around and participate.

Within that framework can be vehicle quests, puzzle quests, monster kill quests and any number of other things.

Each completed quest will award rep and some kind of currency. The currency can be used to buy rewards like armor, pets, mounts, crafting mats etc...

Outdoor bounty system is about Cool Menus and Cool Checklist that is designed for speed and fun. It can work similarly the way current Weekly Vault system does. Of course problem with Vault being that it's limited to Raiding/Mplus/PVP and it locks you to those activities alone.

Having something similar for outdoor activities the way Weekly Vault works can also be fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    World quests are definitely getting stale and could use a update, I would like to see zones be kind of a combo of guildwars 2 and mechagon. Fast paced, random stuff happening all over the zone, the larger the population of the zone, the more things happen. Your UI will alert you as to what's happening and you fly or ride around and participate.

Within that framework can be vehicle quests, puzzle quests, monster kill quests and any number of other things.

Each completed quest will award rep and some kind of currency. The currency can be used to buy rewards like armor, pets, mounts, crafting mats etc...
    Oh boy escalation protocols always keeps me hooked and lost in time. But exactly as you describing, it shouldn't be gated rather but complete mayhem. Maybe with small break after final phase is concluded. I did not enjoyed similar iteration in WoW they had with Icecrown rares, maybe because dislike scourge theme a lot.
    Last edited by neik; 2022-08-28 at 01:43 AM.

But...that's how all those weekly quests like Patterns within Patterns or Shaping Fate work right now?

WoD tried this and even tied personal summomable bosses to it... it didn't really catch on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do believe that this is what is called, 'rebranding'.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Outdoor bounty system is about Cool Menus and Cool Checklist that is designed for speed and fun.
    You lost me at "cool". Not only that's a subjective take, but also one that has nothing to do with gameplay. How something looks doesn't affect how it plays.

It can work similarly the way current Weekly Vault system does. Of course problem with Vault being that it's limited to Raiding/Mplus/PVP and it locks you to those activities alone.

Having something similar for outdoor activities the way Weekly Vault works can also be fun in my humble opinion.
    So basically you want callings to drop gear too? Is that it?

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    WoD tried this and even tied personal summomable bosses to it... it didn't really catch on.
    Escalation protocol definitely works in different games. Thank you for reminding about Ashran, that place still stands today as one of my favorite things that was introduced (especially with organized groups) fuck I even learned to love PVP which I hate it with passion. Pahbi might have some ideas on how things can go when it comes to MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I do believe that this is what is called, 'rebranding'.
    Who knows maybe with a sweet developer's touch it can end up being something entirely new and exciting.

You lost me at "cool". Not only that's a subjective take, but also one that has nothing to do with gameplay. How something looks doesn't affect how it plays.

So basically you want callings to drop gear too? Is that it?
    Just personal perspective of being involved with "cool" in games like Division 2 and New World. Deep level menu systems and bounty checklist definitely pops good amount of dopamine in brain. Although touching an NPC in MMO has been history "essential". But it can be experimented and I believe players would be more happy if they can condense their chores into smaller time frame.
    Last edited by neik; 2022-08-28 at 01:51 AM.

Just personal perspective of being involved with "cool" in games like Division 2 and New World. Deep level menu systems and bounty checklist definitely pops good amount of dopamine in brain. Although touching an NPC in MMO has been history "essential". But it can be experimented and I believe players would be more happy if they can condense their chores into smaller time frame.
    But that's not a "smaller time frame". What you're suggesting in no way equals to a "smaller time frame". Those are two separate things, because what you are suggesting can still be implemented and still be made to take more time to complete than it takes today to finish a covenant calling, or even Zereth Mortis' weekly quest.

Giving more love for people who gives zero flying fuck to engage in stressful and socially oppressive activities is a good thing. You would be able to have your Bounty Vault on reset day with an item level that is appropriate to world content and slightly above.

/Peace
    I've never really understood this sentiment. If you find even basic, non-mythic dungeons and non-mythic raiding to be stressful... and you find doing group content to be "socially oppressive" and you're looking for a single player rpg.... why are you playing World of Warcraft, a game *intended* to be an mmo experience. I'm not flaming you, I'm just genuinely confused. What's the appeal in playing an mmorpg if you don't want the mmo part?

But that's not a "smaller time frame". What you're suggesting in no way equals to a "smaller time frame". Those are two separate things, because what you are suggesting can still be implemented and still be made to take more time to complete than it takes today to finish a covenant calling, or even Zereth Mortis' weekly quest.
    Bounty rewards are claimed via cool menu rather than needing interacting with an NPC. But it would need a loving touch by developer who has worked with similar things already.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendrith View Post
    I've never really understood this sentiment. If you find even basic, non-mythic dungeons and non-mythic raiding to be stressful... and you find doing group content to be "socially oppressive" and you're looking for a single player rpg.... why are you playing World of Warcraft, a game *intended* to be an mmo experience. I'm not flaming you, I'm just genuinely confused. What's the appeal in playing an mmorpg if you don't want the mmo part?
    Those are your words not mine since those activities you've mentioned aren't stressful by default. In case of non-basic dungeon, and mythic raiding players might not want to participate in those activities and it's understandable why people do not like this aspect of wow. Forcing players to take off their pants in the middle of time square isn't ideal.

There are handful of reasons to why players might not consent being in social situations. Do not attempt to drill those people. This really changes nothing and your MMORPG train keeps on moving.
    Last edited by neik; 2022-08-28 at 10:08 AM.

Honestly I'd say a bounty board helps with immersion. A voice popping in our heads when we approach an area and asking us to do something just makes far less sense than a bounty board or a daily quest given by an NPC.

Those are your words not mine since those activities you've mentioned aren't stressful by default. Forcing players to take off their pants in the middle of time square isn't ideal.

There are handful of reasons to why players might not consent being in social situations. Do not attempt to drill those people. This really changes nothing and your MMORPG train keeps on moving.
    Your analogy doesn't resonate. What you're talking about isn't forcing players to take off their pants in time square. What you're talking about is not consenting to seeing lights in Time Square. You'd just tell someone not to go to time square if they don't consent to seeing lights.... Similarly, I'd argue that if you don't consent to social situations in an mmo, you probably just shouldn't play an mmo. I'm not going to like disparage you for choosing to play one. It's just more like a "how do I best set myself up for fun and success" type deal. If I don't consent to being in environments in which alcohol is drunk, why would I go to a bar? Get me?

WQ to kill just 1 specific named NPC, great!

WQ requiring you to spend the next 10+ minutes to do... fuck that. Especially if things aren't shared.

Yeah I also have an idea. Blizz should add cool dungeons and call them expeditions and cool raids and call them escapades that give sweet and awesome rewards. They could be shorter and easier than normal dungeons but give vault too with cool rewards.

Bounty rewards are claimed via cool menu rather than needing interacting with an NPC. But it would need a loving touch by developer who has worked with similar things already.
    You're giving nothing. You're not offering any sort of practical, meaningful change. All you're saying is "make it cOoLeR" which doesn't mean anything at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly I'd say a bounty board helps with immersion. A voice popping in our heads when we approach an area and asking us to do something just makes far less sense than a bounty board or a daily quest given by an NPC.
    True. But what the OP is asking for is even worse than that: just a "checklist" in a "cOoL menu", no NPC interactions whatsoever.