Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    If prophecies are always right, it's also bad writing. They kinda spoil everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Is it bad that I think it is sad there are people out there that have to have videos like this example video for a 30-60 minute long show?
    Nah, there's tons of videos with titles like "explained". Even for trailers or news articles about upcoming movies/shows. Usually combined with a clickbait thumbnail. The channel Emergency Awesome is pretty guilty of this. And yet every time I look at the comments in one of his vids nobody is aware of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    If prophecies are always right, it's also bad writing. They kinda spoil everything.
    In GoT franschise it is explained that even though prophetic dreams are always right, they are always highly misinterpreted due the biased view of a person having the dream. In the end there is very little reason trusting them.

For example in this show: Viserys is telling his wife about having a dream about their child being born with an iron crown and that he seated him Iron Throne. In a way he was right. Their daughter Rhaenyra will have a son who will become the king after incredible bloodshed caused by the civil war. Long story short, everybody dies and then the council decides to put him on the throne as 10 year old.

Or Aegon's dream... Yes, the kingdoms will be united once but not at the Winter's arrival and it wasn't him who lead the armies against them.

Well that's when prophecies are badly written and are not metaphor or are not able to be interpretated differently

Not at all.

If someone watches the Prequels before the OG trilogy, they know that the Chosen One Anakin is destined to destroy the Sith somehow, but they don't know how that will happen. The presence of a prophecy doesn't spoil anything.

It's not a spoiler if you know the end point, even GRRM made it clear that certain characters, like Bran, Sansa, and Arya, were going to survive his story. Did anyone care that GRRM spoiled that certain characters were going to survive? No, because people didn't know how. It's a spoiler only if you are already told how the character will get to said end point.

Following your logic, every story is badly written because you already know that the bad guy will be defeated and the good guys will win.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    In GoT franschise it is explained that even though prophetic dreams are always right, they are always highly misinterpreted due the biased view of a person having the dream. In the end there is very little reason trusting them.
    They are subverted because of bad writing, not because Aegon was biased. The bad writing that made Daenerys afk in Dragonstone for all of Season 7, instead of just nuking the Red Keep right away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Went in with a lot of salty left-over bagage from season 8 but I gotta say the first episode wasn't too bad.

Liked the king cutting himself on the throne, always wondered :P
    Last edited by Sanguinerd; 2022-08-27 at 08:34 PM.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Prophecies being wrong is bad writing and is the reason why S8 is trash. Star Wars wouldn't be so popular if it turned out that the prophecy of the Chosen One was just some massive fuck-up (and the reason why the Sequels are so hated is because they undo Anakin's sacrifice).

If you as a writer introduce any kind of prophecy about any character, it's then bad writing to not give closure to that prophecy. You might as well not introduce it in the first place. If a prophecy is wrong then it's just a waste of time for the reader.

People probably wouldn't have been so mad about Jon Snow not fighting the Night King, if the previous lore didn't revolve around the prophecy of the Prince That Was Promised; which, surprise surprise, expectations subverted, ended up going nowhere!
    Not if there are multiple prophecies and one or two can be right. Predicting the future but only a handful of outcomes can happen. Or the characters just mistranslate the prophecies and the one they think it right and the reader/watcher has thought was true is not really in the end.

Not if there are multiple prophecies and one or two can be right. Predicting the future but only a handful of outcomes can happen. Or the characters just mistranslate the prophecies and the one they think it right and the reader/watcher has thought was true is not really in the end.
    The prophecy doesn't have to be true or false. It just has to serve a purpose. Dune use it best as they use prophecy to showcase how messiah and chosen ones are not always what they live up to being. And chasing messiah types can cause more problems than it solves. And how things can be Interpretated even when not true. Like jessica using her powers and giving answers to info she should not know

Except that absolutely NOTHING in Aegon's prophecy came to pass. His prophecy was that a united Westeros with a Targaryen on the Iron Throne would fight against the Night King. In Season 8:

- Only 2 kingdoms, the North and the Vale, fought in the Great War. There were literally more Essosi than Westerosi at Winterfell;

- Cersei Lannister was on the Iron Throne.

This is not a case of mistranslation or getting only half the picture right, literally the entire prophecy was wrong.

Also, I don't know why you're bringing up this "multiple prophecies" thing, what are these "multiple prophecies" you speak of? There was this prophecy Aegon had, and then there was an unrelated prophecy about the Prince That Was Promised, and that's it. Aegon didn't dream about the Prince, he only dreamed about Westeros being united against the darkness.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-08-27 at 09:14 PM.

No. The point of a prophecy is that they are vague, but still give us something to hold on to.
    Trying to find out who Azor Ahai was in GoT was exciting. When it turned out that it literally does not matter, people got rightfully pissed. It could've been Jon Snow, Jaime Lannister or even Daenerys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    How my works of fiction feature prophecies that play out to the tee? Would be boring.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Except that absolutely NOTHING in Aegon's prophecy came to pass. His prophecy was that a united Westeros with a Targaryen on the Iron Throne would fight against the Night King. In Season 8:

- Only 2 kingdoms, the North and the Vale, fought in the Great War. There were literally more Essosi than Westerosi at Winterfell;

- Cersei Lannister was on the Iron Throne.

This is not a case of mistranslation or getting only half the picture right, literally the entire prophecy was wrong.

Also, I don't know why you're bringing up this "multiple prophecies" thing, what are these "multiple prophecies" you speak of? There was this prophecy Aegon had, and then there was an unrelated prophecy about the Prince That Was Promised, and that's it. Aegon didn't dream about the Prince, he only dreamed about Westeros being united against the darkness.
    So you are going from a generalization across tons of years of literature, media, film, etc... To talk specifically about GoT? I was speaking to the generalization point.

Episode 2 already leaked online. Did this happen with the original GoT? I don't remember it happening. Is it against the rules to discuss leaked material, with spoiler tags of course?
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2022-08-28 at 04:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That did happen with GoT, quite a lot even. As OP I'm okay with talking about it, as long as people use spoiler tags, ofcourse.

I know plot details did, but did the actual downloadable episodes get leaked? I used to post on r/freefolk but not until the later seasons.

Didn't it happen with the siege of winterfell episode or something? But it was hackers and there were news about it even before the files got uploaded. I don't know, I might be confusing with something else
    "In real life, unlike in Shakespeare, the sweetness of the rose depends upon the name it bears. Things are not only what they are. They are, in very important respects, what they seem to be"

End of quote. Repeat the line.

so cool episode 2

5+ Year Old Account
    Still not a single interesting character to root for...

No tyrion, varys, john snow, daenerys, arya...

While misscast "I'm of pure Valyrian blood!"
    Lord Velaryon is the only character to sympathize with so far.

Daemeon is right, the king is a fool played by otto..

- - - Updated - - -

As OP I'm okay with talking about it, as long as people use spoiler tags, ofcourse.
    What for? This is from a book that has been out for years, if people don't want to be "spoiled" then they shouldn't read a thread the day an episode comes out..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-08-29 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Still not a single interesting character to root for...

No tyrion, varys, john snow, daenerys, arya...

While misscast "I'm of pure Valyrian blood!"
    Lord Velaryon is the only character to sympathize with so far.
    Rhaenyra is easy to support imo, even Daemon in a way flawed though he is. Velaryon also has a reasonable position but I like him less for being more of a schemer.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    Rhaenyra is easy to support imo, even Daemon in a way flawed though he is. Velaryon also has a reasonable position but I like him less for being more of a schemer.
    The king asked everyone about Velaryon's proposal, everyone agreed it was logical n best way forward for the realm, even Otto reluctantly did...
    I'd say Otto is the sneaky schemer #1

Rhaenerya hasn't done much, well except the egg situation, but she isn't single minded like Daenerys...

Daemeon can be interesting n grow on people down the line, so far he has sulked n killed some criminals, I want him to burn some crab people or something..

Otto...way less charismstic than Tywin or Littlefinger..this show's characters are boring tbh..