Is this weakaura illegal to use?

So I found a weakaura that basically tracks mining and then a few seconds later tracks herbalism, and it just repeats infinitely; pretty much automating the track mining/herb process.

Is it legal to use this addon? I know that its a weakaura, so it shouldn't have any legal issues (typically?), but at the same time, that sort of automates the tracking process, which I don't think is allowed since no form of automation is really liked by blizzard and can result in a ban (Ex: Autoclickers that pick up the Easter Eggs during the WoW easter event banned some people for like 2 weeks in the past)

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the police will arrest you, and minimum sentencing for using that WA is 15 years of federal prison.

Ofc not, it's clicking your tracking buttons for you, it's no different than doing it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    No, the police will arrest you, and minimum sentencing for using that WA is 15 years of federal prison.

Ofc not, it's clicking your tracking buttons for you, it's no different than doing it manually.
    But its automated spell clicking.
    Like if there was a WA that did your rotation I'm 10000000% sure that would get you banned.

Along with it being a commonly used WA by farming toons, it also exists as an addon: https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/tracking-switcher.

I use it on my alt. Have since pretty much the launch of Classic. No issues here. The API 'port' that allows tracking to be enabled/disabled via addon has been open since Classic Beta and blizzard has never opted to close it.

The notable thing is that it only works out of combat, and Blizzard tends to care a lot less about simple UI automation out of combat/raids/dungeons.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Along with it being a commonly used WA by farming toons, it also exists as an addon: https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/tracking-switcher.

I use it on my alt. Have since pretty much the launch of Classic. No issues here. The API 'port' that allows tracking to be enabled/disabled via addon has been open since Classic Beta and blizzard has never opted to close it.

The notable thing is that it only works out of combat, and Blizzard tends to care a lot less about simple UI automation out of combat/raids/dungeons.
    Have you tried using it on the WOTLK ptr? Typing /ts or /trackingswitcher doesn't seem to work for me.

One keypress = one action

(in-game macros count as one action).

i.e. This isn't allowed.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post

i.e. This isn't allowed.
    Everything that goes over the blizzard api that this stuff was build with is.

If it's not you also don't have to worry about it, they'll just break that part and it stops working.

You won't get banned.

If you’re that concerned then open a ticket and get a official response.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

This is done through the game's commands and not through 3rd party programs, so no, this is not against the ToS.
    If they don't want this to work, the ball is in their court to break it's functionality, the same as they did with many addons that they disagreed with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post

i.e. This isn't allowed.
    Pretty sure that you can make a macro that calls other macros that have multiple actions, though.

There are also addons that automate various other things, like auto dismount when you click a flight master, auto sell stuff, auto say things when something happens etc.
    Last edited by kranur; 2022-08-27 at 08:50 AM.

Before they start banning people for the use of such a widespread WA (it's even available as addon) they would simply restrict the API to no longer allow calls that switch the node tracking.

WeakAuras cannot do more than what any other addon could do. They'd sooner restrict their API even further before baning people for it though.

That being said, WA and most addons should be broken by them and hopefully it'll happen one day, but that's another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Krewshi View Post
    But its automated spell clicking.
    Like if there was a WA that did your rotation I'm 10000000% sure that would get you banned.
    The tracking weakarua is not actually doing the farming for you. YOU still have to do that yourself. Doing your rotation is playing the game for you. BIG difference,

FBI will get involved, i wouldn't risk it

Quote Originally Posted by lolbubble View Post
    FBI will get involved, i wouldn't risk it
    I don't wanna go back in the slammer

Blizzard's official response has always been one click - one action. Anything that automates playing the game is not allowed. That's their stance, not mine. As someone else says, best thing to do is either post on the official forums or open a ticket and get an official response. That way, if something happens, you can go back to that and say "your people said it was allowed". It probably won't help, but at least you'll have it.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Blizzard's official response has always been one click - one action. Anything that automates playing the game is not allowed. That's their stance, not mine. As someone else says, best thing to do is either post on the official forums or open a ticket and get an official response. That way, if something happens, you can go back to that and say "your people said it was allowed". It probably won't help, but at least you'll have it.
    We are talking about a mod. They already control what mods can and can't do. If it's allowed in the API, it's ok. If not blizzard would change the API before banning people.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.