Decent amount of injuries so far. Hopefully none of them are bad.

Bills/Panthers has a QB punting and a punter kicking now. Just need a kicker playing QB.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    What made this case unique was that SDPD asked SDSU to NOT conduct a Title IX investigation out of fear that it would impede their criminal investigation. No title IX investigation, no documentation any NFL team could pick up on.

Buffalo probably made a honest mistake here, that is, assuming that knowing prior to the draft would've deterred them from drafting Ariza.
    Yeah, kind of what I meant. They would have needed to look into it themselves to know if he was involved or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm disappointed mostly because I like punting and it was exciting to see some enthusiasm around a punter. Oh well, let justice take its course.

Saints offense looking good with Winston and Dalton again.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post

What made this case unique was that SDPD asked SDSU to NOT conduct a Title IX investigation out of fear that it would impede their criminal investigation. No title IX investigation, no documentation any NFL team could pick up on.

Buffalo probably made a honest mistake here, that is, assuming that knowing prior to the draft would've deterred them from drafting Ariza.
    This is also interesting because now that Araiza isn't in college any more, he doesn't need to comply with any Title IX investigation. It's out of the NFL's jurisdiction because it happened before he was in the NFL, and now he's out of SDSU's jurisdiction because he's no longer an NCAA athlete.

Smells like running out the clock, or collusion to sweep it under the rug for just long enough. It's interesting that the SDPD "allowed" SDSU to start their investigation right after Araiza signed his rookie contract and officially became a professional football player.

- - - Updated - - -

Sean McDermott press conference he sounded visibily shaken. I don't know if he's a good actor, but he sounds like he didn't know about this stuff til yesterday. Said the decision to sit Araiza was his. Made one dumb statement about thoughts and prayers for the victim *and* Matt. Sounds like the front office has some explaining to do.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt a dude like McDermott would have been so out of the loop on Araiza. They were hoping it would blow over or be swept under the rug, and that didn't end up happening. His press conference certainly doesn't help. It's a business filled with toxic meathead jock cunts...probably safe to assume the worst.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2022-08-27 at 06:03 AM.

Are cuts not allowed til all the teams have played their games? Cause this punter is still on my fucking team and it annoys the fuck out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Are cuts not allowed til all the teams have played their games? Cause this punter is still on my fucking team and it annoys the fuck out of me.
    I mean that is a quick rush to pronouncing someone guilty is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I mean that is a quick rush to pronouncing someone guilty is it not?
    He told her to get tested because he had an STD. At the very least, he admitted to sleeping with a minor.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    He told her to get tested because he had an STD. At the very least, he admitted to sleeping with a minor.
    I sure am not trying to defend the guy, because that is a pretty messed up story from the bits I've heard, but I think eschatological is already pronouncing him guilty on the rape charge instead of letting the courts get involved (if they ever do, because yeah the police non-action stuff is really terrible).

The sad reality is way too many football players get to skirt laws and when they do get caught for something pretty bad seem to crop back up most times.

Uh, all I'm saying is he shouldn't be on my favorite football team. I could give a shit if police, who criminally under-pursue rape cases, ever charge him, let alone convict him. I'm surprised they even managed to get him on tape admitting to sleeping with the victim....it only took the victim 6 hours of waiting at the police station before anyone talked to her, and another day before they set up the call.

10+ Year Old Account
    So we went from "We did our due diligence" to released in 48 hours.

Uh, all I'm saying is he shouldn't be on my favorite football team. I could give a shit if police, who criminally under-pursue rape cases, ever charge him, let alone convict him. I'm surprised they even managed to get him on tape admitting to sleeping with the victim....it only took the victim 6 hours of waiting at the police station before anyone talked to her, and another day before they set up the call.
    You got your wish, the Bills released him.

I'll still back what I said, if he a play in an important position like QB or WR this release wouldn't have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    If the people that had evidence for what happened didn't want them to have it, they wouldn't know the details. They weren't going to release someone for allegations they couldn't find to be truthful with what they knew. Considering the school and police department both dragged ass and it sounds like he lied to the Bills, I'd give at least Sean McDermott the benefit of the doubt.

If it was another team with a history of not caring unless there is public backlash (or even then, still not caring), I would question it more.
    Last edited by Grube; 2022-08-28 at 12:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    If the people that had evidence for what happened didn't want them to have it, they wouldn't know the details. They weren't going to release someone for allegations they couldn't find to be truthful with what they knew. Considering the school and police department both dragged ass and it sounds like he lied to the Bills, I'd give at least Sean McDermott the benefit of the doubt.

If it was another team with a history of not caring unless there is public backlash (or even then, still not caring), I would agree with you.
    I'm not bashing the bills that much, its more that I wish teams would stop saying this when they are very limited on what they can actually investigate. Especially a punter. They aren't gonna hire PIs and shit to dig into the background of a punter prospect. Its a position that they can just release and move on.

What bothers me most is that Brandon Beane, who I think is a brilliant GM otherwise, gets up in this presser and talks about how "culture is more important than winning games."

Yet....he says they learned about the allegations in late July, more than 3 weeks ago. They "talked to Matt" and his version differed from the allegations. And then it seems like they left it at that. SDPD has an open criminal investigation on him, and have since 6 months prior to the draft, and SDSU knew enough about the investigation to be receiving guidance from SDPD to not start their own. One call to either confirms he's under criminal investigation, at which point you probably dig deeper. The victim's lawyer has confirmed no one on the Bills talked to him or his client. He informed them in late July, SENT THE DETAILS that were in the L.A. Times article to them....and they did nothing with it.

Apparently the "culture" was fine enough to cut Matt Haack and give the starting job to Araiza just this past Monday. Apparently it was the culture that made McDermott call Araiza "a great...loveable kid" on a podcast last week when he knew these allegations were on in the background. It wasn't affecting the "culture" until it came out publicly.

Definitely taken a bit of a shine off what could be a Super Bowl season, at least for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    What bothers me most is that Brandon Beane, who I think is a brilliant GM otherwise, gets up in this presser and talks about how "culture is more important than winning games."

Yet....he says they learned about the allegations in late July, more than 3 weeks ago. They "talked to Matt" and his version differed from the allegations. And then it seems like they left it at that. SDPD has an open criminal investigation on him, and have since 6 months prior to the draft, and SDSU knew enough about the investigation to be receiving guidance from SDPD to not start their own. One call to either confirms he's under criminal investigation, at which point you probably dig deeper. The victim's lawyer has confirmed no one on the Bills talked to him or his client. He informed them in late July, SENT THE DETAILS that were in the L.A. Times article to them....and they did nothing with it.

Apparently the "culture" was fine enough to cut Matt Haack and give the starting job to Araiza just this past Monday. Apparently it was the culture that made McDermott call Araiza "a great...loveable kid" on a podcast last week when he knew these allegations were on in the background. It wasn't affecting the "culture" until it came out publicly.

Definitely taken a bit of a shine off what could be a Super Bowl season, at least for me.
    Seahawks did the same shit, then when it came to Frank Clark they were like, "we did our due diligence".

Its bullshit perpetuated from them. Their job security directly relies on winning games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could be worse, you could find out years later that a member of your Super Bowl team is a serial rapist. At least he's gone now. I get the culture thing, seems like the biggest thing we lost with Sean Payton was that zero tolerance for off field misbehavior, since Allen was all about getting Watson despite him being a scumbag.
    /s

Whatever. They cut him. I'm past it. I'm not one to virtue signal and pretend I'm not excited to watch the Bills this season.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

I'm not bashing the bills that much, its more that I wish teams would stop saying this when they are very limited on what they can actually investigate. Especially a punter. They aren't gonna hire PIs and shit to dig into the background of a punter prospect. Its a position that they can just release and move on.
    Really was just a 6th round pick too. I'm not sure the last 6th or 7th round pick was a hall of fame or a pro-bowler.

Titans are releasing Brett Kern. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the Bills now.

I have a feeling Denver will release Sam Martin too, so they will definitely have options.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jimmy G staying in SF on a restructured deal worth $6.5 mil base.

I get the feeling they looked at the NFL and saw the only team that would be interested in trading or signing him at this point was the Seahawks.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)