Poll: Do you think the new RIOT MMORPG will dominate the MMORPG Market?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    Uhm, according to who?

I can't find a single list where it's even in the running. Not for most copies sold, not from most critics, not... oh wait, I finally found one. For most active players at one time, and then it's only coming in at 6th place.

So yeah, according to who?
    I mean, I can change my post to "One of the" if it makes you feel any better, it doesn't change my point in the slightest. Let me know if that will satisfy you.

Out of all the MMOs that have come out in recent years, it probably has the best chance of long term success given Riot's experience, popularity, and success.

I wouldn't call it the "new big mmo" because it will likely follow the same formula as all other recent MMOs except in the LoL universe. Unless they do something really unique and new, which there hasn't been any indication of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    If it's not, then it's proof that the genre is dead.
    This is...not remotely true. The MMO genre is arguably bigger and more healthy/profitable than it's ever been, globally. There's just not one uncontested juggernaut and a bunch of "other games" anymore and things have spread out. The genre has benefitted and become more healthy from populations spreading out amongst a wider variety of MMO's vs. there being WoW and every game trying to copy WoW to follow in its footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by HumanityFIRST View Post
    Meh I agree with Stormdash on this one, it'll come and go. Look at everyone who left WOW for FF, they're either back on WOW or off FF.
    FF14 has little appeal to WoW players, and very poor retention. WoW players typically aren't in 400+ hour long JRPGs where they spend 300 hours glued to their chairs watching cutscenes and reading visual novel segments. They want instant action endgame. And if one does manage to slog through the whole story and reach endgame, they realize that FF14 has almost nothing to do at endgame whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    And if one does manage to slog through the whole story and reach endgame, they realize that FF14 has almost nothing to do at endgame whatsoever.
    That's exactly my experience. But I'm not back to WoW, and unless something changes radically I doubt I ever will be.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Amazon proved with New World, that you can have all the funding possible with a big team, that has big ideas... Yet still monumentally flop. MMOs are much harder than any other genre to "get right" and maintain a good playerbase, to make keeping the servers alive worth it.

New World rebounded a little bit, but too late for most people.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    Amazon proved with New World, that you can have all the funding possible with a big team, that has big ideas... Yet still monumentally flop. MMOs are much harder than any other genre to "get right" and maintain a good playerbase, to make keeping the servers alive worth it.

New World rebounded a little bit, but too late for most people.
    Amazon always had a shit gaming division though...what are their games again?

Riot on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    Amazon always had a shit gaming division though...what are their games again?

Riot on the other hand...
    Why did new world fail btw?

It will be big for a bit, guaranteed. They have effectively been developing it for years now through expanding lols lore. One thing that kills mmo is the expanded world, wow had around a decade of lore to use with the Warcraft franchise and worked out a questing system in their RTS. They had races, classes and locations that people cared about.
    Most new MMOs don't have these things and fall flat because of it.
    A LOT of people are invested in lols lore, even if only superficially. That alone warrants curious gazes which allows for the gameplay hooks to sink in.
    Riot also has a ton of talent for concept art, mechanic design and balancing.
    They easily have a huge stack of launch content and several expansions to play through in the way of narrative, they have a huge roster of recognizable characters to bring the world to life and connect players to the setting.

I also bet that the game will have fresh gameplay that will feel very innovative with classy animations and great customisation.

Also considering how much wow players seem to hate blizzard I wouldn't be surprised if the wow playerbase plays it to spite blizz and cheat on wow .

Wow won't die though, most wow players will return, players might juggle both and there might be something that will cause it to flip, but I suspect it won't.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's going to succeed at the very least. And it may overtake the market, who knows. Looking at the style of the world, it's definitely targeting the more WoW demographic with their themes, so it won't draw so much from FF. But with WoW going the way it is, raid participation at all time lows, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the Riot MMO hits the market at a perfect time in 2 years when Dragonflight is just another flop and not the savior of WoW people expected.

One big thing the Riot MMO has going for it is existing lore and an existing fan base. The LoL fanbase is enormous, far bigger than any MMO on the market. So people who are interested in interacting with the world in more than a MOBA setting will flock to it. One big downfall a lot of MMOs have is that while they may play nice, players have no emotional attachment to the world, so the MMO itself has to make an attachment to the world, or people get bored and leave. An enormous number of people have an attachment to the world of Runeterra.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Hard to say when we have 0 info on it.
    Cyberpunk 2077, No Mans Sky etc etc.

I think it will launch big because of the reputation of Riot, but after that it's up to the game. Could fall quickly af.
    Remember that release numbers are hype numbers rather than success numbers.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    It will be big for a bit, guaranteed. They have effectively been developing it for years now through expanding lols lore. One thing that kills mmo is the expanded world, wow had around a decade of lore to use with the Warcraft franchise and worked out a questing system in their RTS. They had races, classes and locations that people cared about.
    Most new MMOs don't have these things and fall flat because of it.
    A LOT of people are invested in lols lore, even if only superficially. That alone warrants curious gazes which allows for the gameplay hooks to sink in.
    Riot also has a ton of talent for concept art, mechanic design and balancing.
    They easily have a huge stack of launch content and several expansions to play through in the way of narrative, they have a huge roster of recognizable characters to bring the world to life and connect players to the setting.

I also bet that the game will have fresh gameplay that will feel very innovative with classy animations and great customisation.

Also considering how much wow players seem to hate blizzard I wouldn't be surprised if the wow playerbase plays it to spite blizz and cheat on wow .

Wow won't die though, most wow players will return, players might juggle both and there might be something that will cause it to flip, but I suspect it won't.
    Very nice, thought out post my friend
    Nevertheless, WoW is shrinking at a monstrous pace. Bellular recently made quite a good analysis of a potential playerbase with the tools we have to estimate that. The drop is gigantic. Until Riot releases their game, Blizzard has time to make sure they are the ones who control that market. I'd assume people are bored of Blizzard's uninspired game design philosophy. If there's nothing about to change and WoW literally does not receive a remake, and Riot's MMO happen to be a very good game, then it surely will devour WoW by default.

Riot is smart about it. It's precisely for the reasons you pointed out why no "WoW-killer" ever existed really. Riot's MMO on the other hand may have everything it takes to overthrow WoW's lead in the market. I believe it's been noted that for MMO, Riot plans to keep the financial model similar to their other games - which would mean there's probably no sub and license costs. Just the in-game shop. That's quite a massive thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    when Dragonflight is just another flop and not the savior of WoW people expected.
    More like "desperately hoped" than "expected".
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Nebron View Post
    Very nice, thought out post my friend
    Nevertheless, WoW is shrinking at a monstrous pace. Bellular recently made quite a good analysis of a potential playerbase with the tools we have to estimate that. The drop is gigantic. Until Riot releases their game, Blizzard has time to make sure they are the ones who control that market. I'd assume people are bored of Blizzard's uninspired game design philosophy. If there's nothing about to change and WoW literally does not receive a remake, and Riot's MMO happen to be a very good game, then it surely will devour WoW by default.

Riot is smart about it. It's precisely for the reasons you pointed out why no "WoW-killer" ever existed really. Riot's MMO on the other hand may have everything it takes to overthrow WoW's lead in the market. I believe it's been noted that for MMO, Riot plans to keep the financial model similar to their other games - which would mean there's probably no sub and license costs. Just the in-game shop. That's quite a massive thing.
    I dont know how sustainable a cosmetics show will be for an MMO, a lot of players would just play for free or if the normally earned gear is ugly, boring or uninspired players would quit. If not then they wont care for cosmetics as much.
    Xmog hunting is a pretty popular task that keeps people playing, if i cant earn cool looking gear from playing and everything is just a stat stick i may lose a little interest.
    Fully funding an MMO with cosmetics might be a disaster, but if it works it works. Riot have great concept art and could make great looking content no doubt.

I dont have a horse in the race either, i dont care if it succeeds or fails. Im sure it will make its money back and would probably even have a dedicated base but id be surprised if it usurps wow. GW2 is an interesting game that many think is a failure because it didnt unseat wow but it has a dedicated playerbase and is still producing new content. Im sure if it were only as successful as GW2 that would be enough, but i suspect it will be bigger from name recognition alone.

Bleeding playerbase towards the end of an expansion that was developed during a very tumultuous time for the company shouldnt be surprising to anyone (covid and the lawsuits and in-house bickering) every end of expansion has a dip, we will see what happens when DF launches, but honestly wow has had a far bigger playerbase than it ever really needed, having a few million players is still a huge success, and for an almost 20 year old game fading into a more niche market is hardly a failure.

Im sure the money grubs will see it as a failure but nothing should be expected to experience infinite growth. The game still has its hooks and still offers an experience people crave, so long as it does and there is new content to play players will play it. There really isnt anything quite like wow on the market and probably never will be again.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    Wow won't die though, most wow players will return,
    The great majority of people who have ever played WoW have stopped playing it, so I don't know that this assertion can be justified.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ArminVanburkek View Post
    Why did new world fail btw?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ZMly9YAPA

WOW's turned to crap IMO would love to see a new MMO that was worth playing. (was looking forward to LK but the current dev's that screwed retail up can't keep their crap mitts of it's design (not just RDF but all of it). I've Played MMO's since EQ and for a while I tried ever MMO that popped up, GW, GW2, D&D, The Elder Scrolls Online, (some I can't remember their name *one that started with R that was not too bad).

(some of my bigger beefs\thoughts with MMO features and designs) :

It needs both hard and casual play (even in the past the WOW dev's stated it was a small % that ever did raids before LFR came about and wow itself was built to be a causal friendly alternative to EQ), Plus all your friends are not on all the time so its nice to still have something to do. *the hard core raids and content is nice and flashy and makes people go wow and be excited, but the casual play pays the bills in the long run and keeps the lights on IMO. (It needs to support group play and solo play *kinda odd for a MMO but some people just like solo playing with a living people around them and not just NPC's)

I would love not to see any scaling at all (personally hate all scaling but WOW's version is the worse I've ever came across), if I remember FF was not too bad and was optional, but was a long time since I tried it.

A main quest line that you can follow that does not require group content, *when I tried FF on a trial, I was 8 hours trying to get a dungeon done to be able to move onward with the main quest line, and never could get a group together (*It was years ago and at the time some expansion had just launched and was told that's probably why the lower ones were dead at the time *I think it was a few people on this site that told me that, but was already after my trial had ran out and I was done with the mess).

Don't redesign the classes every expansion, what was the major push that killed Retail wow for me (survival hunter) but even a few of the friends I played with, the major reason they quit is Blizz felt the need to just about resign the classes every freaking expansion. *Buddy that got me playing EQ his exact quote was "I'm tired of relearning my f****** class after every expansion" and what killed wow for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The great majority of people who have ever played WoW have stopped playing it, so I don't know that this assertion can be justified.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't it sell over 25 Million copies? I have high doubts its a failure by any means. It might not keep a dedicated playerbase in the hundreds of thousands, but it seems to keep a pretty steady 10-20k players at all times, which is probably enough if they buy stuff from the store or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

I don't even know what that is, but no. Time and time again the answer has always been no. Just a few months ago people were ecstatic about Final Fantasy and I even got into arguments with people that said "this time is different, you will see". Results as expected: FF found its niche and WoW is still more popular. This will be the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Damn i hate it when all the hype goes down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    Don't redesign the classes every expansion, what was the major push that killed Retail wow for me (survival hunter) but even a few of the friends I played with, the major reason they quit is Blizz felt the need to just about resign the classes every freaking expansion. *Buddy that got me playing EQ his exact quote was "I'm tired of relearning my f****** class after every expansion" and what killed wow for him.
    That was one of my major gripes as well (it's not what pushed me to quit, but it didn't help). I don't mind tweaking a class, but when you fundamentally change how a class works and do it almost every expansion it just becomes frustrating.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"