Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    I do not know. There are so many FOMO excuses lately..
    Unfortunately people like to latch onto buzz words and use it as their argument.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    You can. You can see a therapist because if you are not trolling you need serious professional assistance if this is how much games affect your psychology.
    I like to believe he is trolling, purely because I cannot believe someone would put themselves through such torture of playing a game they obviously really do not like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I like to believe he is trolling, purely because I cannot believe someone would put themselves through such torture of playing a game they obviously really do not like.
    Sometimes people put themselves into destructive patterns of behavior and never make the connection that they're essentially indulging in a form of self-harm. Even harm can become habitual owing to the human aversion to change and essential inertia. Kind of like staying at a job you hate because deep down you're afraid that if you left you couldn't find another one or you indulge in catastrophizing.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Sometimes people put themselves into destructive patterns of behavior and never make the connection that they're essentially indulging in a form of self-harm. Even harm can become habitual owing to the human aversion to change and essential inertia. Kind of like staying at a job you hate because deep down you're afraid that if you left you couldn't find another one or you indulge in catastrophizing.
    Why should I hate game as whole, if problems are caused by certain specific bad game designs? What makes me wonder, is that some players seem to advocate these bad game designs, while clearly understanding, that they're bad. Saying something like "Yeah, dailies are bad, but it's MMO, it should be about dailies, so just deal with it". Is it healthy behavior?

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Why should I hate game as whole, if problems are caused by certain specific bad game designs? What makes me wonder, is that some players seem to advocate these bad game designs, while clearly understanding, that they're bad. Saying something like "Yeah, dailies are bad, but it's MMO, it should be about dailies, so just deal with it". Is it healthy behavior?
    You shouldn't, and I wasn't really talking about you - just the human tendency to habituate to harmful processes and never recognize that they're the ones actually causing the lion's share of their own issues. That being said, I don't think dailies are bad, either. They offer repeatable rewards that promote engagement, but only at the level we ourselves choose to engage in. For you personally, I'd say you've set yourself a rare goal that requires a lot of work to complete, and while you're understandably annoyed about just how much it will take, I think it's shortsighted to make the dual claim that A.) Blizzard should increase the acquisition of anima to speed you along this process and/or B.) the very design that this task would require time and commitment to accomplish is itself problematic.

From my perspective, this is akin to my saying "I want to fully gear every class/spec with a full complement of BiS Mythic gear," and then complaining about how often I had to raid on every character in order to complete this goal. Yeah, the goal I'm setting for myself is pretty severe and is understandably going to take a *lot* of time to accomplish - but that's on me, not on Blizzard or the game's design as a whole. FOMO is a pitfall we put ourselves into, as well, that's not Blizzard's fault either for having a handful of rewards that are time-limited and require specific commitments. None of that stuff in MoP or Shadowlands was really required in any real sense, all of it was either easily replaced with alternate rewards, or was by its very nature just status gear/perks.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

You shouldn't, and I wasn't really talking about you - just the human tendency to habituate to harmful processes and never recognize that they're the ones actually causing the lion's share of their own issues. That being said, I don't think dailies are bad, either. They offer repeatable rewards that promote engagement, but only at the level we ourselves choose to engage in. For you personally, I'd say you've set yourself a rare goal that requires a lot of work to complete, and while you're understandably annoyed about just how much it will take, I think it's shortsighted to make the dual claim that A.) Blizzard should increase the acquisition of anima to speed you along this process and/or B.) the very design that this task would require time and commitment to accomplish is itself problematic.

From my perspective, this is akin to my saying "I want to fully gear every class/spec with a full complement of BiS Mythic gear," and then complaining about how often I had to raid on every character in order to complete this goal. Yeah, the goal I'm setting for myself is pretty severe and is understandably going to take a *lot* of time to accomplish - but that's on me, not on Blizzard or the game's design as a whole. FOMO is a pitfall we put ourselves into, as well, that's not Blizzard's fault either for having a handful of rewards that are time-limited and require specific commitments. None of that stuff in MoP or Shadowlands was really required in any real sense, all of it was either easily replaced with alternate rewards, or was by its very nature just status gear/perks.
    I understand it. That's why I don't do Mythic raids and don't ask them to be nerfed to suit my playstyle. I try to do the easiest content in whole game instead. Game just isn't friendly enough to players like me.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Why should I hate game as whole, if problems are caused by certain specific bad game designs?
    Because you refuse to partake in anything other than the stuff you apparently hate, so you might as well be hating the whole game as far as you're concerned.

What makes me wonder, is that some players seem to advocate these bad game designs, while clearly understanding, that they're bad. Saying something like "Yeah, dailies are bad, but it's MMO, it should be about dailies, so just deal with it". Is it healthy behavior?
    There's a difference between bad game design and someone simply not liking the way the game is designed. You fall into the latter category, despite your insistence on the former being the case. I don't like horror games. So if I went into a horror game and started complaining about how it's so difficult to make progress because the atmosphere is too stressful and there are disturbing things that jump out and make me want to turn the game off, I am in the wrong, not the game I'm decrying. Of course, that doesn't preclude the game also being just bad; far be it from me to imply WoW is a perfect product. But the player is not always right, and the particular things you are taking issue with are mainly you problems, not game problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I understand it. That's why I don't do Mythic raids and don't ask them to be nerfed to suit my playstyle. I try to do the easiest content in whole game instead. Game just isn't friendly enough to players like me.
    I think the disconnect here is that, while your playstyle may be super-casual (e.g. no Mythic raiding, no Mythic+, no progression gearing, etc.), the goal you've set for yourself within that style of play isn't by any stretch of definition an easy or casual goal to accomplish. It'd be right up there with collecting all xmogs for a given class, every mount in the game, or every non-raid/non-Mythic+ achievement possible. It's a goal that takes a lot of time, a lot of grinding, and a lot of commitment to both of those things. And, to underscore the above, the only person demanding you do this is yourself - there's no other compelling reason to pursue such a goal outside of personal accomplishment.

If you don't think your own goal is "friendly" or you don't want to do it, then just don't. That's what I and several other posters here are telling you. It isn't the game's fault that what you want to do isn't easy to do, you've pointedly (or arbitrarily) chosen a goal that isn't easy by its very nature.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think you gotta face it that they're not making the game for casuals of your caliber anymore, you'll be much more happy playing wotlk classic or trying out ff:xiv
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    I think you gotta face it that they're not making the game for casuals of your caliber anymore, you'll be much more happy playing wotlk classic or trying out ff:xiv
    In case you havent kept up with news Dragonflight is going to be significantly more casual friendly then Wrath is.

Except if casual is another word for bad. But i'm guessing its not.

how is this compared to MoP? if you want to compare SL to something, compared it to WoD/BFA, hilariously enough, even those 2 are better than SL.
    Only redeemable feature of SL was Castle Nathria, the rest is just a fever dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he can't handle WoW on casual, then FFXIV has too much for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makaloff View Post
    how is this compared to MoP? if you want to compare SL to something, compared it to WoD/BFA, hilariously enough, even those 2 are better than SL.
    Only redeemable feature of SL was Castle Nathria, the rest is just a fever dream.
    Well, this topic isn't about being better or worse. The OP has an issue where the person feels forced to do certain things or else the person doesn't believe there is anything to do. The OP is basically forcing the game upon them in the belief that they have to or the FOMO will strike them.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Casuals of his caliber? Anymore? When did they ever start?

I think the disconnect here is that, while your playstyle may be super-casual (e.g. no Mythic raiding, no Mythic+, no progression gearing, etc.), the goal you've set for yourself within that style of play isn't by any stretch of definition an easy or casual goal to accomplish. It'd be right up there with collecting all xmogs for a given class, every mount in the game, or every non-raid/non-Mythic+ achievement possible. It's a goal that takes a lot of time, a lot of grinding, and a lot of commitment to both of those things. And, to underscore the above, the only person demanding you do this is yourself - there's no other compelling reason to pursue such a goal outside of personal accomplishment.

If you don't think your own goal is "friendly" or you don't want to do it, then just don't. That's what I and several other posters here are telling you. It isn't the game's fault that what you want to do isn't easy to do, you've pointedly (or arbitrarily) chosen a goal that isn't easy by its very nature.
    Maybe. But I still think, that Anima grind is too tight. The same way, as MOP rep grind was too tight back then. Maybe WQ/daily/weekly design isn't bad, but only when it leaves some room for other activities. For example ZM's weekly is doable within 2 days, if player doesn't kill 100% rares, that takes too much time. So player can freely pick this 2 days from 7. He doesn't need to do it today. He can do it tomorrow. He can even do just 3 things every day (WQ/daily/rare).

But what about Anima? ZM, that can take up to 2 hours, if player wants to complete at least 50% of weekly quest, gives around 1-1.5k Anima. That income barely covers mission table's demand. So Anima just can't be invested into something else. Covenant sanctum, covenant transmogs, buying catch-up gear, etc. And as player has to grind it every day, other activities also suffer. Like cyphers grind, Tier set grind, leveling alts, playing WotLK classic, etc. In order for Anima grind not to take whole player's time and be more or less comfortable - it should be buffed by around 200-400%, so players wouldn't need to grind it for 2 hours every day, while being unable to do anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

I started leveling in WotLK Classic a little bit. I have 20-30 of free time at 9:00pm, when I'm already too tired to grind more Anima. And it's immediately seen, how more quiet, peaceful, chilling and RPish classic leveling is. It's not rushed and annoying, as modern content is. But I'm not sure, if I want to fully switch to Classic. Yeah, I can level to at least 60 for nostalgia purpose to see old Vanilla locations (Skipped Vanilla and TBC Classic) and old good class mechanics (before Cata's overnerf and pruning, that started happening in MOP). But I don't think, that Classic has any future for me, as it doesn't provide any global progression to me. And also some negative changes are going to be made to it. Such as removal of LFD, that will kill famous badge runs. They were major part of content for me back then.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2022-09-02 at 05:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Casuals of his caliber? Anymore? When did they ever start?
    I am confused. More recent expansions are more casual-friendly than the past expansions.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I have 20-30 of free time at 9:00pm, when I'm already too tired to grind more Anima
    You've posted an average of very nearly two posts on this forum every single day since May 2015. Given the vast majority of them are similar to this 350+ word monstrosity, I suspect you've substantially more free time than you think you do, you just refuse to use it productively.

I'll echo Aucald's point here: what you've done is set yourself the goal to climb Mount Everest, while refusing to use your legs. Not because you don't have them, simply because you don't want to use them. Faced with the daunting reality of the difficulty of the task you have set for yourself, instead of adjusting your aims or your method, you've decided instead to blame the mountain and the climbing industry for not making it easier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    You've posted an average of very nearly two posts on this forum every single day since May 2015. Given the vast majority of them are similar to this 350+ word monstrosity, I suspect you've substantially more free time than you think you do, you just refuse to use it productively.
    Silly argument. First of all, I have job and therefore I can't play 24/7. Second thing - it takes 5-10 minutes to get from Covenant sanctum to closest WQ/daily. Plenty of time to post something on forum.

No. What I try to say - is that any reward in this game has it's life time. It's by design, because Blizzard follow "Only relevant content in this game - is current content" rule. If it's not got within that time frame - it's wasted. So fear of missing those rewards within their life time - is exact definition of FOMO.

For example: do you really think, Blizzard won't cut mission table rewards in DF's pre-patch? Do you think, it's enough to just level mission table followers to 60lvl just for sake of leveling them to 60?
    Here is my problem with your posts
    If you are doing casual content, the content you describe in the OP, there is no outdated content, everything from Vanilla to the latest patch is current content for you.
    Dungeons and raids are the only exception to this, and you are not doing them.
    Cosmetics don't get outdated because they are from an old expansion, I'm getting a new appearance for my priests staff at the moment for example, and that is legion content, but except hitting the mobs very hard compared to legion there is 0 difference between doing it now and during legion.

I would suggest the following things to you
    1. Quit wow, quit the wow forums, get a new hobby.
    If you do not want to do that, I suggest you move on to the next item on my list
    2. Decide on a character you want to play for the patch, don't keep all your crap characters geared, they are fine in 150 ilvl gear or whatever.
    3. Decide on what cosmetics mounts and pets you like, farm those, ignore the rest, you don't need recolor boar 12, or slightly more grey set 15.
    4. Ignore anything that you can't figure out how to turn a profit with. For most of us the command tables give nice money and support themselves, but if you can't get them to that point, but you instead need to grind to keep them going. just stop straight away.
    5. Stop grinding rep if you don't want anything form the rep. My main isn't exalted with ZM, won't spend a second there because I don't have to, I do 25 keys currently on my main.
    6. Learn what FOMO means
    7. If you have trouble with FOMO, you need to seek help, there will for sure be other things in life you can't resist, seek help before you get yourself in deep debt or something even worse.

If you can still get something, FOMO doesn't really apply, and you can't just change the definition because you wanna riddle your post with buzzwords. Get a grip.

Better yet, touch grass.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sialina View Post
    Here is my problem with your posts
    If you are doing casual content, the content you describe in the OP, there is no outdated content, everything from Vanilla to the latest patch is current content for you.
    Dungeons and raids are the only exception to this, and you are not doing them.
    Cosmetics don't get outdated because they are from an old expansion, I'm getting a new appearance for my priests staff at the moment for example, and that is legion content, but except hitting the mobs very hard compared to legion there is 0 difference between doing it now and during legion.

I would suggest the following things to you
    1. Quit wow, quit the wow forums, get a new hobby.
    If you do not want to do that, I suggest you move on to the next item on my list
    2. Decide on a character you want to play for the patch, don't keep all your crap characters geared, they are fine in 150 ilvl gear or whatever.
    3. Decide on what cosmetics mounts and pets you like, farm those, ignore the rest, you don't need recolor boar 12, or slightly more grey set 15.
    4. Ignore anything that you can't figure out how to turn a profit with. For most of us the command tables give nice money and support themselves, but if you can't get them to that point, but you instead need to grind to keep them going. just stop straight away.
    5. Stop grinding rep if you don't want anything form the rep. My main isn't exalted with ZM, won't spend a second there because I don't have to, I do 25 keys currently on my main.
    6. Learn what FOMO means
    7. If you have trouble with FOMO, you need to seek help, there will for sure be other things in life you can't resist, seek help before you get yourself in deep debt or something even worse.
    Again. I've already explained it. What you ask me to do - is to switch to very specific playstyle. To buy new xpacks, but play old ones instead. Do you really think, that I've never thought about it? First of all, choice between moving forward or back - is very hard choice. And I usually tend to choose forward direction. Because new rewards are still better than old ones, even if they're just new quest greens. And second thing - I would play some old content, if Blizzard wouldn't destroy it. Intentionally or unintentionally - it doesn't matter. They don't support playing old endgame. Period. Only hope - is Classic servers. But Blizzard choose model with maximum profit for them - i.e. slow milking instead of releasing all xpacks at the same time. I would have to wait for too long.