10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Besides, the idea that the FBI shouldn't have grabbed anything in case executive privilege applied is patently absurd.
    Indeed. Trump supporters keep bringinging up Executive Privilege because they're thinking about the next crime Trump will be charged with. Trump, to use a recently-revealed legal term, was "caught".

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Then you didn't fucking understand it then. And I was right, the former president DOESN'T HAVE EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE. Only the current president does.
    He might understand, but his goal is obfuscation, either by design or ignorance, through the repetition of talking points fed to him by the people who would rather see the country burn than succeed via another political party's policy goals.

https://archive.ph/zMQv6

A document describing a foreign government’s military defenses, including its nuclear capabilities, was found by FBI agents who searched former president Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence and private club last month, according to people familiar with the matter, underscoring concerns among U.S. intelligence officials about classified material stashed in the Florida property.

Some of the seized documents detail top-secret U.S. operations so closely guarded that many senior national security officials are kept in the dark about them. Only the president, some members of his Cabinet or a near-Cabinet level official could authorize other government officials to know details of these special access programs, according to people familiar with the search, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive details of an ongoing investigation.

Documents about such highly classified operations require special clearances on a need-to-know basis, not just top-secret clearance. Some special-access programs can have as few as a couple dozen government personnel authorized to know of an operation’s existence. Records that deal with such programs are kept under lock and key, almost always in a secure compartmented information facility, with a designated control officer to keep careful tabs on their location.

But such documents were stored at Mar-a-Lago, with uncertain security, more than 18 months after Trump left the White House.
    If this is true this continues to place insane pressure on Trump for his intentional mishandling of some of the nations biggest secrets. And those of our allies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    If this is true
    I kinda hope not.

But hey, you and @cubby and @postman1782 would any of you call the US's military capabilies "Executive Privilege"? Because I don't think it qualifies.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Indeed. Trump supporters keep bringinging up Executive Privilege because they're thinking about the next crime Trump will be charged with. Trump, to use a recently-revealed legal term, was "caught".
    They also keep bringing it up because it's a talking point being pushed by the GQP propaganda machine. Those talking points change as Trump's story changes. We'll see 'dang' now, and have in the past, change his argument based on the story Trump and his criminal ilk have pushed out.

There was an interesting quote from one of the books Woodward wrote about Trump. At one point during the ongoing scandals of Trump's Residency, he said "[we should put out a story about Ivanka, that should pull the focus away]". Because that's how he's lived his entire life, breaking the law, and then covering it up with more scandals.

It is, as always, horrifying.

- - - Updated - - -

https://archive.ph/zMQv6
    A document describing a foreign government’s military defenses, including its nuclear capabilities, was found by FBI agents who searched former president Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence and private club last month, according to people familiar with the matter, underscoring concerns among U.S. intelligence officials about classified material stashed in the Florida property.

Some of the seized documents detail top-secret U.S. operations so closely guarded that many senior national security officials are kept in the dark about them. Only the president, some members of his Cabinet or a near-Cabinet level official could authorize other government officials to know details of these special access programs, according to people familiar with the search, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive details of an ongoing investigation.

Documents about such highly classified operations require special clearances on a need-to-know basis, not just top-secret clearance. Some special-access programs can have as few as a couple dozen government personnel authorized to know of an operation’s existence. Records that deal with such programs are kept under lock and key, almost always in a secure compartmented information facility, with a designated control officer to keep careful tabs on their location.

But such documents were stored at Mar-a-Lago, with uncertain security, more than 18 months after Trump left the White House.
    If this is true this continues to place insane pressure on Trump for his intentional mishandling of some of the nations biggest secrets. And those of our allies.
    Anyone else would already be arrested and held without bail, facing Espionage charges. Again, horrifying.

would any of you call the US's military capabilies "Executive Privilege"? Because I don't think it qualifies.
    I'm pretty sure Trump didn't bring back reports from Peter Navarro for some light reading, nor does the FBI care in the slightest about communications between the POTUS and their cabinet here. That's not what they're looking for, and that's very likely not what Trump brought back with him.

But hey, it's a talking point! It's just about the only possible talking point that Republicans have left, so you're going to need to pry it from their cold, dead hands.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I kinda hope not.

But hey, you and @cubby and @postman1782 would any of you call the US's military capabilies "Executive Privilege"? Because I don't think it qualifies.
    Not only are they not covered by Executive Privilege, many of those documents cannot be declassified, even by the President. By law.

Executive Privilege is just the current smoke screen Trumpeteers are using in an intentionally obtuse effort to cover for the felonious dipshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a good summary piece about the "special master" issue. Some of it is in the "I called it" camp: namely, that the judge doesn't seem all that convinced it'll help Trump; that there might not be a carbon-based life form Trump and Biden's DOJ agree on to check; and that the real issue with privilege is the FBI's filter team, looking through what Trump stole, finding Trump talking to his team about overthrowing the government. Even if conspiring to commit treason was, somehow, still privileged, Biden himself is still allowed to read it, and there is a crime exception. I cited that myself. And it wouldn't change the fact that Trump isn't allowed to keep the documents he stole.

If, as many suspect, Trump just randomly grabbed a bunch of things with his name on it to play Pretty Princess Dress Up, that doesn't make Trump innocent of inciting a murderous insurrection, just that the evidence wasn't in his basement. Evidence of his theft, was.

- - - Updated - - -

nor does the FBI care in the slightest about communications between the POTUS and their cabinet here
    Well, see above, they might. If a police officer is executing a warrant for a bunch of cocaine and there's a gun sitting on the table in plain sight, that gun is now evidence too. The question may have to wait until later. But you're right -- the Executive Privilege issue doesn't apply to the FBI taking back what Trump stole.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ear-documents/
    @Breccia, I don't have a source besides this one, but with the Post being one of the most accurate sources in the world, everyone was right, he did have classified nuclear documents. I don't know how they got this info, but wow. I can't post the article, because paywall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    He might understand, but his goal is obfuscation, either by design or ignorance, through the repetition of talking points fed to him by the people who would rather see the country burn than succeed via another political party's policy goals.
    Jesus fucking christ, he literally didn't read the opinion of the scotus, but claims he did.

- - - Updated - - -

I kinda hope not.

Nope, that is literally shit that is so classified that anyone else, they would have been tried, convicted, and probably executed for it.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ear-documents/
    @Breccia, I don't have a source besides this one, but with the Post being one of the most accurate sources in the world, everyone was right, he did have classified nuclear documents. I don't know how they got this info, but wow. I can't post the article, because paywall.
    If true (and I agree with you re the Post's veracity) then Garland will probably focus his criminal indictment on these specific documents and legal violations. The case should be as clear and transparent as possible.
    1) is having these documents in a private person's possession illegal?
    2) did Donnie have them in his possession?
    Done and done.

How they find an "impartial" jury is beyond me - even the measure used for Mob family prosecutions probably won't work.

Jesus fucking christ, he literally didn't read the opinion of the scotus, but claims he did.
    Or, he did, and is purposefully being obtuse - to muddy the waters and push the lies and conspiracies that are central to the Trumpateers wellbeing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't post the article, because paywall.
    Posting the entire thing, because paywall.

Some of the seized documents detail top-secret U.S. operations so closely guarded that many senior national security officials are kept in the dark about them. Only the president, some members of his Cabinet or a near-Cabinet-level official could authorize other government officials to know details of these special-access programs, according to people familiar with the search, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive details of an ongoing investigation.

After months of trying, according to government court filings, the FBI has recovered more than 300 classified documents from Mar-a-Lago this year: 184 in a set of 15 boxes sent to the National Archives and Records Administration in January, 38 more handed over by a Trump lawyer to investigators in June, and more than 100 additional documents unearthed in a court-approved search on Aug. 8.

It was in this last batch of government secrets, the people familiar with the matter said, that the information about a foreign government’s nuclear-defense readiness was found. These people did not identify the foreign government in question, say where at Mar-a-Lago the document was found or offer additional details about one of the Justice Department’s most sensitive national security investigations.

The Washington Post previously reported that FBI agents who searched Trump’s home were looking, in part, for any classified documents relating to nuclear weapons. After that story published, Trump compared it on social media to a host of previous government investigations into his conduct. “Nuclear weapons issue is a Hoax, just like Russia, Russia, Russia was a Hoax, two Impeachments were a Hoax, the Mueller investigation was a Hoax, and much more. Same sleazy people involved,” he wrote, going on to suggest that FBI agents might have planted evidence against him.

A grand jury subpoena issued May 11 demanded the return of “all documents or writings in the custody or control of Donald J. Trump and/or the Office of Donald J. Trump bearing classification markings,” including “Top Secret,” and the lesser categories of “Secret” and “Confidential.”

The subpoena, issued to Trump’s custodian of records, then listed more than two dozen sub-classifications of documents, including “S/FRD,” an acronym for “Formerly Restricted Data,” which is reserved for information that relates primarily to the military use of nuclear weapons. Despite the “formerly” in the title, the term does not mean the information is no longer classified.

One person familiar with the Mar-a-Lago search said the goal of the comprehensive list was to ensure recovery of all classified records on the property, and not just those that investigators had reason to believe might be there.

Investigators grew alarmed, according to one person familiar with the search, as they began to review documents retrieved from the club’s storage closet, Trump’s residence and his office in August. The team soon came upon records that are extremely restricted, so much so that even some of the senior-most national security officials in the Biden administration weren’t authorized to review them. One government filing alluded to this information when it noted that counterintelligence FBI agents and prosecutors investigating the Mar-a-Lago documents were not authorized at first to review some of the material seized.

Among the 100-plus classified documents taken in August, some were marked “HCS,” a category of highly classified government information that refers to “HUMINT Control Systems,” which are systems used to protect intelligence gathered from secret human sources, according to a court filing. A partially unsealed affidavit said documents found in the boxes that were sent to the National Archives in January related to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. There was also material that was never meant to be shared with foreign nations
    Okay it looks like the rest is stuff we already knew.

Bolded for emphasis.

Bolded and orange for a complete dismantling of the "Executive Privilege" defense. The FBI saw what they took and said "Holy shit, we shouldn't be allowed to breathe the same air as these files" and called in help immediately. It wasn't about Trump's lawyer, his medical records, or his passports.

I can't post the article, because paywall.
    Archive site is great for circumventing a lot of the paywalls. Someone already had this archived when I plugged it in. Doesn't work for every site, but it's pretty effective.

Archive site is great for circumventing a lot of the paywalls. Someone already had this archived when I plugged it in. Doesn't work for every site, but it's pretty effective.
    I will have to keep that in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting the entire thing, because paywall.

Okay it looks like the rest is stuff we already knew.

Bolded for emphasis.

Bolded and orange for a complete dismantling of the "Executive Privilege" defense. The FBI saw what they took and said "Holy shit, we shouldn't be allowed to breathe the same air as these files" and called in help immediately. It wasn't about Trump's lawyer, his medical records, or his passports.
    Uhhhh, information on a foreign power's military capabilities, including nuclear info?

1> Which nation, I wonder? Dollars to donuts it's probably Israel, given everything.
    2> Can we turn him over to said nation for prosecution? I'm sure he'll fuckin' love their prisons and the complete lack of any possible political clout there.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    1> Which nation, I wonder? Dollars to donuts it's probably Israel, given everything.
    So, are you saying that Trump possibly stole secrets regarding Israel's nuclear capabilities, which he likely sold/traded to Russia for something (maybe for handing over Kompromat or for a fat paycheck somewhere) and then Russia maybe sold that information to Iran who, in exchange, are now supplying Russia with drones?

Because if you're not saying it, then I'm saying that's my theory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    which he likely sold/traded to Russia for something
    This is why you're not allowed to take that shit. We might literally never know if Trump, or a family member, or employee, sold anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    So, are you saying that Trump possibly stole secrets regarding Israel's nuclear capabilities, which he likely sold/traded to Russia for something (maybe for handing over Kompromat or for a fat paycheck somewhere) and then Russia maybe sold that information to Iran who, in exchange, are now supplying Russia with drones?

Because if you're not saying it, then I'm saying that's my theory.
    Just saying, if he was picking and choosing which country he'd want the nuclear secrets of, Israel's gotta be the juiciest, especially with how chummy Trump and his family are with not just Putin, but Saudi Arabia. I can't see Trump giving enough of a shit about China or Pakistan to pick them out specifically, but Israel? Yeah, that would make sense.

Unless he was just grabbing random shit with classified markings. It's also possible he's a complete moron even about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Unless he was just grabbing random shit with classified markings.
    While various reports have suggested he did, this only brings up the issue that Trump grabbing random shit quickly happened to get a handful of nuclear secrets without knowing that.

While various reports have suggested he did, this only brings up the issue that Trump grabbing random shit quickly happened to get a handful of nuclear secrets without knowing that.
    I mean it’s hilariously damning either way. Either Trump knew full well what he was getting and maybe hoarder-style tossed in a lot of extra shit as cover, or he legit hoarder-style tossed in a lot of shit, and the WH was in such utter disarray that top secret nuclear info on a foreign power was in easy reach of a diaper-slinging toddler.

Hmm...I wonder what the justification will be for this one from the MAGAts. "They weren't our country's nuclear secrets, so it doesn't matter!"