More positive reason?

I was browsing reddit and came across this post
    --snip--

TL;DR - he played one game 10 times and thought he was good at it.

Why would he think that way. The only explanation my mind comes up with is that he never was good at anything and simply doesn't know what it takes to actually be good at something. I mean ffs, 10 times, if someone does anything 10 times, he's a beginner. What the hell.

Now, I don't want to be so negative all the time - can anyone think of a reason, other than he's a complete loser at everything, that is more positive than mine and explains his confidence?
    Last edited by Rozz; 2022-09-09 at 03:31 AM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

I didn't really read that the same way you seem to have. And I'm not even sure what the problem is. Why would you not think you are good at something because you had some initial success at it? They then took it to the next level and found out they weren't as good as they thought.

I don't really see any bragging or delusion on their part

I'm not familiar with that game but if I had to guess at a positive reason it would be that they didn't properly gauge the depth and complexity it had, which led to them being surprised.
    Last edited by caractacus; 2022-09-08 at 10:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    He was playing casually with some friends and went to a boardgame meetup. Of course he's going to get his ass wiped.
    Such places gather mostly highly intelligent autistic people that you have no chance against.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's that uncommon. I went with a friend to a local casual MTG night where they played and it was a similar situation. They thought they would do ok but got wiped by sweaty folks that took it a bit too seriously. At the end of the day a game group should be glad to get new players and have good sportsmanship around new/beginner members. Otherwise in many cases (like the case of my friend) it's not fun for them and they won't be back.

I think it's a fairly common phenomena (broadly speaking, when it comes to learning). The positive takeaway from this is that the person realized how little they knew, and that there are many people who have great difficulty with this.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    --

Why would he think that way. The only explanation my mind comes up with is that he never was good at anything and simply doesn't know what it takes to actually be good at something. I mean ffs, 10 times, if someone does anything 10 times, he's a beginner. What the hell.

Now, I don't want to be so negative all the time - can anyone think of a reason, other than he's a complete loser at everything, that is more positive than mine and explains his confidence?
    The person acknowledges that they were playing at a different level than him.

"But all in all, it was a really fun and educating experience, I'll definitely go back. I'm still a little in shock as to how optimized some people can play Eurogames without being brain-fried."

Being good at a game does not mean being an expert. He might be good at the game. Many games are easy to play, but difficult to master.

That said, why is this even a topic? Seems catty that you for some reason appear offended by him thinking he was good at a game, but then being humbled once he met better players. I don't understand I guess.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2022-09-09 at 03:32 AM.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    --

Someone was confident and therefore is a complete loser at everything?

Weird logic, and weirder still that you felt the need to engage with this on such a personal level at all.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2022-09-09 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Someone was confident and therefore is a complete loser at everything?

Weird logic, and weirder still that you felt the need to engage with this on such a personal level at all.
    I didn't send him a mail, an email, did not reply to his thread, nor did I write him a PM. I have no idea who he is. Replacing "he" with "person" wouldn't change my question at all. On a scale from 1 to 10 - how personal is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    Why would you not think you are good at something because you had some initial success at it?
    Well I've given one reason in my question - 1. because I'm good at other things and I know how many many work has to be put to actually be good at something. 10 hours is not a lot of work.

Some other reason I came up with during the day:
    2. I'm not an asshole who thinks he's a big brain genius top 0.1% of IQ curve who just "gets it" and knows about it everything there is to know after merely trying something for 10 times.
    3. I'm not an 8 year old child and I know that when parents say "you're special/you're the best" that they mean I am those things to them, not compared to other people.

So, again - why would you think that after merely dipping your toes into some thing you are actually good at it?
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

OP reeks of unearned arrogance.

5+ Year Old Account
    This is closed.
    1) Don't create threads about other threads--especially from other platforms. You should try to post in the relevant place, which is Reddit in this case.
    2) Don't create threads just to insult someone on another website. That's drama seeking and not appropriate. If you didn't want to post your question in that thread for 'reasons', there is no reason to bring it here.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."