Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    Yeah i know what you mean.

But still can't denie that the potential is there. Blizz just needs to commit to it and do it right.
    The potential is definitely there, but I don't see it happening. We'll see though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Feel free to show me a whip currently in WoW that reaches 30 yards away.
    https://www.wowhead.com/spell=227479/lash-of-pain

Other than that, it's downright amazing your dishonesty and double-standards as you're more than willing to ignore your own rules and the franchise's own logic when it comes to defending your ideas. But god forbid someone else do the same for their ideas, huh? Worse yet if they deviate from your arbitrary rules, right?
    You should probably read the OP.

Jaina is a dreadlord in Hearthstone.
    Ragnaros is a Lightlord in Hearthstone.
    Uther is a death knight in Hearthstone.

Jaina, Ragnaros and Uther are in WoW, so all of the above is canon. At least in your faulty logic. In other words: just because Reno is a blue dragon in Hearthstone doesn't necessarily mean that he is one in WoW. Especially since this is true:
    That tweet seems awfully dumb considering that we have Hearthstone characters in WoW.

He's probably there because the Explorer's League is there.
    Cool. We'll see if Renogos shows up in the dragon isles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    And magical whip, yikes.. way to headcanon things into working.
    https://www.wowhead.com/spell=227479/lash-of-pain

Except he's not a dragon.. HS lore =/= WoW lore. Nice try though!

And exactly, 100% this..
    Again, that seems like a dumb thing to support when the League of Explorers and Rafaam are lore characters in WoW in the first place.

Wow what's up with all these toxic posts in this thread, I get you might not like the idea but OP put some work into it and it's not another copy pasta of hundreds of other "new class" threads so maybe you could provide criticism with a bit less hostility (or just move on without sharing it).

The idea is pretty original though I personally don't see it as anything that could potentially end up being in game. It's a cute fan fiction and not much more than that.

That is not a whip. It's a magical spell. If you cared to do actual research, you'd see that the NPC that uses that spell wields a two-handed axe as their weapon.

You should probably read the OP.
    I have. So what?

That tweet seems awfully dumb considering that we have Hearthstone characters in WoW.
    ... You're calling Blizzard's own words "dumb" because they disagree with you. Wow, your arrogance knows no bounds. And it doesn't matter that we have Hearthstone characters in WoW. That doesn't mean that everything about those characters from HS is canon to the Warcraft universe. Again: by your own dumb logic, Jaina is a dreadlord, Uther is a death knight, and Ragnaros is a being of the Light.

Cool. We'll see if Renogos shows up in the dragon isles.
    And even if is shown that Reno is indeed a blue dragon in Warcraft as well, it still doesn't prove you right. Because you've reached that conclusion through wrong means.

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to show me where I can buy mythic+/raid gear as a monk but not as any other class, like you claimed monks can.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Wow what's up with all these toxic posts in this thread, I get you might not like the idea but OP put some work into it and it's not another copy pasta of hundreds of other "new class" threads so maybe you could provide criticism with a bit less hostility (or just move on without sharing it).
    Because the poster is ignoring his own arbitrary rules he insists are mandatory for class creation, as well as assuming Blizzard would go out of the way to make this class "extra special" such as creating three new weapon types exclusive to this class. And yet the moment anyone else brings something even slightly original, he'll come down with hammers and axes upon them about how their class ideas violate "his arbitrary rules for class creation".
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2022-09-08 at 09:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

... You're calling Blizzard's own words "dumb" because they disagree with you. Wow, your arrogance knows no bounds. And it doesn't matter that we have Hearthstone characters in WoW. That doesn't mean that everything about those characters from HS is canon to the Warcraft universe. Again: by your own dumb logic, Jaina is a dreadlord, Uther is a death knight, and Ragnaros is a being of the Light.
    I'm saying it's dumb because that tweet is from 6 years ago, before Blizzard started putting Hearthstone characters into WoW.

And even if is shown that Reno is indeed a blue dragon in Warcraft as well, it still doesn't prove you right. Because you've reached that conclusion through wrong means.
    Well my argument is simply that the League of Explorers are part of the canon lore. I don't know why you got so wrapped up in this tangent about Reno being a dragon, when the point is that the League of Explorers are lore-based hero characters that are rapidly rising in popularity.

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to show me where I can buy mythic+/raid gear as a monk but not as any other class, like you claimed monks can.
    I didn't say that. I said that a Monk player can buy gear at their sanctuary.

Because the poster is ignoring his own arbitrary rules he insists are mandatory for class creation, as well as assuming Blizzard would go out of the way to make this class "extra special" such as creating three new weapon types exclusive to this class. And yet the moment anyone else brings something even slightly original, he'll come down with hammers and axes upon them about how their class ideas violate "his arbitrary rules for class creation".
    Well let's look at the "formula"

1. Hero characters from lore? Check. The LoE are definitely heroes and they're now part of WoW canon.
    2. Playable form in MOBA and RTS? Nope. However, they are in playable form via HS, and interestingly HS has shown some mechanics that can be translated into a class. They also have original concepts that are pretty easy to roll into a class. Honestly they have a lot of material.
    3. A possible expansion location? Unclear. The LoE do have a benefit that they can fit into a variety of different expansions.

So yeah, I would say they're very close, and the early death of HotS may cause Blizzard to utilize alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I'm saying it's dumb because that tweet is from 6 years ago, before Blizzard started putting Hearthstone characters into WoW.
    So, in other words, you're disregarding Blizzard's words because they disagree with you. It doesn't matter if that tweet is from six years ago. It still holds true. I'll repeat this fact you keep ignoring: just because Reno exists in Warcraft doesn't mean that everything about the character from HS is canon to the Warcraft universe.

I don't know why you got so wrapped up in this tangent about Reno being a dragon
    Because you decided to bring it up and make it an important point to your arguments:
    They're going to be in the next expansion quite a bit since Reno is a blue dragon.

I didn't say that.
    Except.... you did:

2. Playable form in MOBA and RTS? Nope.
    3. A possible expansion location? Unclear.
    In other words, you're confirming that you're disregarding your own arbitrary rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, in other words, you're disregarding Blizzard's words because they disagree with you. It doesn't matter if that tweet is from six years ago. It still holds true. I'll repeat this fact you keep ignoring: just because Reno exists in Warcraft doesn't mean that everything about the character from HS is canon to the Warcraft universe.
    It's not just Reno, all the League of Explorer characters from HS are now in WoW including Rafaam. Which is why bringing up that old tweet is kind of dumb.

Because you decided to bring it up and make it an important point to your arguments:
    No, the important part of the argument is that the LoE are canon characters in WoW.

Except.... you did:
    The Monk weapons in the Sanctuary are equivalent to dungeon drops. Raid/Mythic+ drops? Nah, dungeon drops? Sure. That's what I was talking about in regards to Monks.

In other words, you're confirming that you're disregarding your own arbitrary rules.
    I'm pretty sure I mentioned all of this in the OP.....

It's not just Reno, all the League of Explorer characters from HS are now in WoW including Rafaam. Which is why bringing up that old tweet is kind of dumb.
    No, it's not. It still holds true. Because Hearthstone as a whole is not a canon game to the Warcraft franchise, and just because a few characters and an organization made its way to WoW, it doesn't mean everything about them in HS is canon to Warcraft.

No, the important part of the argument is that the LoE are canon characters in WoW.
    But, again, that doesn't mean that everything about them in HS is canon to Warcraft.

The Monk weapons in the Sanctuary are equivalent to dungeon drops. Raid/Mythic+ drops? Nah, dungeon drops? Sure. That's what I was talking about in regards to Monks.
    Those weapons were not on par with dungeon drops.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned all of this in the OP.....
    So you're confirming that you're disregarding your own arbitrary rules, which shows dishonesty.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's not. It still holds true. Because Hearthstone as a whole is not a canon game to the Warcraft franchise, and just because a few characters and an organization made its way to WoW, it doesn't mean everything about them in HS is canon to Warcraft.
    This thread is about those few characters and organization.

But, again, that doesn't mean that everything about them in HS is canon to Warcraft.
    Who is making this argument?

Those weapons were not on par with dungeon drops.
    They were back in MoP.

So you're confirming that you're disregarding your own arbitrary rules, which shows dishonesty.
    Nope. In the OP I made it quite clear that the concept has some issues for implementation. That said, it DOES have some aspects of what previous WoW class concepts had before they were implemented. Perhaps most importantly it has hero characters with some pretty clear abilities and attributes that allow us to move in a specific direction.

They were back in MoP.

Nope. In the OP I made it quite clear that the concept has some issues for implementation. That said, it DOES have some aspects of what previous WoW class concepts had before they were implemented. Perhaps most importantly it has hero characters with some pretty clear abilities and attributes that allow us to move in a specific direction.
    You are making that argument.. Proclaiming it's official lore, dismissing anything to the contrary and shouting that bran is a blue dragon in wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are making that argument.. Proclaiming it's official lore, dismissing anything to the contrary and shouting that bran is a blue dragon in wow.
    Uh, Reno, Elise, Sir Finley, and Brann are definitely official canon lore.

Which is meaningless. You can discuss them as much as you want, it won't make Ben Brode's statement any less true just because "you think it's dumb".

You are, remember?
    They're going to be in the next expansion quite a bit since Reno is a blue dragon.

They were back in MoP.
    Normal leveling dungeons. And you could get stuff that was basically just as good while leveling doing quests. In other words, they weren't anything special. Which kills your idea that "my class can just buy all their weapons instead of depending on boss drops!"

Nope. In the OP I made it quite clear that the concept has some issues for implementation.
    Just and off-the-cuff remark to pay lip service to your own rules you're breaking. If you really thought your "rules" held any ounce of truth behind them, you wouldn't be posting this class idea since by your own admission it breaks your "rules".

Putting any lore cohesion aside, the more interesting question would be : what is the gameplay point of having whips going that far ?

Is it to have a melee weapon reaching the distance of spellcasting and ranged weapons ? Is it to emulate spellcasting for a few abilities of this class ? Would making it mid-range break the concept ? If they have gatling wands, should the whip go as far as those abilities, to keep it intuitive ? Or are the whip abilities rare and disconnected enough from the rotation that it would not be a problem ?

Holy smokes you bickering weirdos need to touch grass.

This class concept is okay. It would make more sense as an expansion/redesign/mini game/world quest built onto archaeology, or a profession of its own.

I don’t think it’s broad enough to provide enough range of characters to be interesting (a problem monks struggle with, as do hero classes almost by design). I also think the three new weapon types is kind of silly and definitely out of the question—even warglaives for demon hunters could’ve beneficially just been swords, I think. More interesting might be a class that uses off hands and daggers, say, and pulls out a whip for specific abilities like the serpent sting crossbow.

Thirty yard whip range is a bit much but (if this concept somehow got off the ground, which I wouldn’t advocate for) I could see the interest in a 15-25ish yard range weapon. A glass cannon, low mobility but medium-high control mid-range class would be a different niche, in PVP at least. Dunno how it would play out in PVE.

In short: some interesting mechanical ideas that might apply better to some stronger class archetype (something thrown weapons? Third DH or fourth monk spec? Something something witch doctor?), the class concept itself probably lends itself more to a profession.
    Last edited by Snufflupagus; 2022-09-09 at 07:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is meaningless. You can discuss them as much as you want, it won't make Ben Brode's statement any less true just because "you think it's dumb".
    Ben Brode essentially said that nothing in HS is part of WoW lore. Over time that has proven to be false. Which is why the comment is dumb in retrospect.

You are, remember?
    Reno more than likely being a dragon =/= EVERY aspect of EVERY HS character being true.

Normal leveling dungeons.
    Which are still dungeons.....

Just and off-the-cuff remark to pay lip service to your own rules you're breaking. If you really thought your "rules" held any ounce of truth behind them, you wouldn't be posting this class idea since by your own admission it breaks your "rules".
    It's a class based on Warcraft heroes with some unique abilities. Sounds about right to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Putting any lore cohesion aside, the more interesting question would be : what is the gameplay point of having whips going that far ?

Is it to have a melee weapon reaching the distance of spellcasting and ranged weapons ? Is it to emulate spellcasting for a few abilities of this class ?
    Yes.

Would making it mid-range break the concept ?
    Possibly, since they lack the movement of Evokers to compensate for reduced range.

If they have gatling wands, should the whip go as far as those abilities, to keep it intuitive ? Or are the whip abilities rare and disconnected enough from the rotation that it would not be a problem ?
    Gatling Wands are short ranged (10yds). Utilized more for tanking. If you remove the tanking aspect, I could see the weapon's range increase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snufflupagus View Post
    I also think the three new weapon types is kind of silly and definitely out of the question—even warglaives for demon hunters could’ve beneficially just been swords,
    As I'm fleshing out the healing spec, the Tome is becoming less sensical as a weapon, so that might get removed. So you're looking at 2 new weapon types. Whips could possibly be used by other classes (without the range).

So since heathstone is official wow lore according to Teriz.

Jaina is a dreadlord
    Ragnatos is a lightlord
    Uther is a death knight
    Medivh was not a sorcerer in Kara Han and only hosted dance parties.

Damn wow lore is wild. Or is this yet another "pick and choose the lore Teriz likes and the rest doesn't matter"

I like the concept because it fits in warcraft (it comes from Heartstone mainly!), has guns, and shows something new can be done, instead of tinker, necromancer and dark ranger.

10+ Year Old Account
    So since heathstone is official wow lore according to Teriz.

Jaina is a dreadlord
    Ragnatos is a lightlord
    Uther is a death knight
    Medivh was not a sorcerer in Kara Han and only hosted dance parties.
    There’s nothing but straw-man nonsense in your post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KainneAbsolute View Post
    I like the concept because it fits in warcraft (it comes from Heartstone mainly!), has guns, and shows something new can be done, instead of tinker, necromancer and dark ranger.
    Thank you. That was the goal: Providing a new possible class concept.

The League of Explorers made their debut in Hearthstone, and have since become a mainstay in that game, and began their migration into WoW as lore characters.
    Explorers League were in WoW since vanilla. So not exactly true. And i disagree that the class should be available to all races.
    For Alliance theExplorers League has only Dwarves and gnomes as members. And for Horde the Reliquary has only Blood Elves as members.
    So my suggestion would be that the Explorer class is available to at least Dwarves and Gnomes for Alliance. Maybe Night Elves and/or Kul Tiran too. And Horde gets Blood Elves and Undead. And maybe Goblin and/or Zandalari.

The class explanation sound very cool. Nicely done!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the worst class concept I've ever seen. It still needs a lot of work and to be renamed. My own take is an "Explorer" class is just that: Exploring, knowing the land, finding secrets, things like that. For dungeons and raids it might be an interesting starting point for a real support class (which no one would want to play unless it was made to be "mandatory").

The biggest problem is not the idea. The idea is fine for an MMO. Just not WoW. I just do not see how it fits into the world meta for Azeroth, Hearthstone aside. Maybe it's the vague cowboy aesthetic in the pictures.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2022-09-09 at 09:05 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."