Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Layering has no place in WoW or any MMORPG

Layering in my opinion does NOT belong inside a MMORPG. It's already in the name: Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.
    Yesterday there were 12 layers on classic server, 12.

How is this acceptable? I am glad everyone can level straight forward now with no issues of other players but isn't this the whole point of a MMORPG.
    I wanna see people everywhere i go and if the realm is split into 12 other realms then there is no way you even see 10% of your actual Realm population.

How are people supporting this nonsense feature in WoW? This only makes your realm appear more dead then it actually is.

And this is a real issue not only in classic but also retail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine trying to play if a million people want to all be in the same location. It just isn’t possible. Same thing in real life it would just be a cluster fuck and no one would be able to move.
    "Voted Most Likely To Be Banned From The Forum."

Layering and cross realm ruined the game. Change my mind.

Someone doesnt have anything better to do on a Saturday than spam posts about irrelevant problems and its the same guy with usopp profile picture.

Tell me you dont understand computers without telling me.

Tell me you are selfish and entitled without telling me.

Layering is one of the greatest things i have ever seen both as tech familiar and a player.

I get to log on, do the shit i wanna do in 10mins and be done with whatever crap ass requirement outside of content i want to do when there is a new patch without "little billy" causing lag or taking the tag or whatever else.

Or we could have the old way, of 20 dead servers with players crying that they cant do anything and the other servers crying in takes 2 hours to do 2 dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    L
    How is this acceptable? I am glad everyone can level straight forward now with no issues of other players but isn't this the whole point of a MMORPG.
    I wanna see people everywhere i go
    I don't want to have to stand in line and wait for mobs to respawn.

I don't want to have to fight off 10 other people camping ore or herb nodes so I can just get what I need for myself.

I don't want to go to questing areas and see nothing but corpses as far as the eye can see.

I don't want to be unable to see quest givers or vendors under the pile of other players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Someone doesnt have anything better to do on a Saturday than spam posts about irrelevant problems and its the same guy with usopp profile picture.

Tell me you dont understand computers without telling me.

Tell me you are selfish and entitled without telling me.

Layering is one of the greatest things i have ever seen both as tech familiar and a player.

I get to log on, do the shit i wanna do in 10mins and be done with whatever crap ass requirement outside of content i want to do when there is a new patch without "little billy" causing lag or taking the tag or whatever else.

Or we could have the old way, of 20 dead servers with players crying that they cant do anything and the other servers crying in takes 2 hours to do 2 dailies.
    No you are one of the worst players a MMORPG can have. You expect to have smooth scaling from begin to end, hell i bet you even demand to see all content that is available. Even though you don't qualify for it.

You know what to do with 20 dead realms? Merge them into one instead of milking them to dead because you don't wanna show the world ur deleting dead realms. That is the only reason CRZ/Layering exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    I don't want to have to stand in line and wait for mobs to respawn.

I don't want to have to fight off 10 other people camping ore or herb nodes so I can just get what I need for myself.

I don't want to go to questing areas and see nothing but corpses as far as the eye can see.

I don't want to be unable to see quest givers or vendors under the pile of other players.
    Welcome to a MMORPG. this is also stuff that made WoW. These kinda events will stay for you for life.
    Removing all those little stuff just gives us a stale simple minded MMORPG, that is one of WoW biggest issues, so much streamlined so anyone can play without any bothersome.

Layering in my opinion does NOT belong inside a MMORPG. It's already in the name: Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

I wanna see people everywhere i go and if the realm is split into 12 other realms then there is no way you even see 10% of your actual Realm population.

How are people supporting this nonsense feature in WoW? This only makes your realm appear more dead then it actually is.

The solution is realms with less people with them so layering isn't required for stability. I'm personally fine with that, I advocated for authentic 2500 realm caps from the moment classic was announced until it launched but the community overall was pretty clear that they wanted megaservers and #changes so here we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    The solution is realms with less people with them so layering isn't required for stability. I'm personally fine with that, I advocated for authentic 2500 realm caps from the moment classic was announced until it launched but the community overall was pretty clear that they wanted megaservers and #changes so here we are.
    What are megaservers when u can only see 5% of ur server?

No you are one of the worst players a MMORPG can have. You expect to have smooth scaling from begin to end, hell i bet you even demand to see all content that is available. Even though you don't qualify for it.

You know what to do with 20 dead realms? Merge them into one instead of milking them to dead because you don't wanna show the world ur deleting dead realms. That is the only reason CRZ/Layering exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to a MMORPG. this is also stuff that made WoW. These kinda events will stay for you for life.
    Removing all those little stuff just gives us a stale simple minded MMORPG, that is one of WoW biggest issues, so much streamlined so anyone can play without any bothersome.
    I didn't log on expecting "making an MMO's core mechanics unplayable is good" to be a take, but here we are.

There are too many people who want to play on too few servers.

dogshit take, so dogshit in fact I can't even begin to explain why, it's just dogshit to anybody with half a brain and is really obvious

Quote Originally Posted by GUZ View Post
    Imagine trying to play if a million people want to all be in the same location. It just isn’t possible. Same thing in real life it would just be a cluster fuck and no one would be able to move.
    OMG can I have Layering during my work commute? Pleaase?!?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightforged View Post
    There are too many people who want to play on too few servers.
    Like the real world, everything relevant happens in teh "big cities" and in 2022 players know this in a way we didn't in 2005. Blizzard begging people to move to the country is just not going to work
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Not even sure what these assumptions are.

Game is at its worst state when people like you come back to the game, leave us few 2-3mil that actually enjoy the game play it with our layering.

I do not want to see a shit-ton of people everywhere I go out in the open world when I'm playing the video game. A good few is refreshing enough, and I see that plenty.

I am glad everyone can level straight forward now with no issues of other players
    And it seems you have at least a basic grasp of why it must be the way that it is, which makes the subsequent question of

How are people supporting this nonsense feature in WoW?
    kinda dumb. You know how. Because the alternative would be fucking awful for people who don't have this weird, childlike nostalgia or yearning for the inconvenience of spawn-camping regular mobs because the quest area is saturated with people all trying to kill the same shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having my house broken into and robbed is also "an event that stays with me for life", but that doesn't mean I think it's a good thing or that I want to experience it again.

Removing all those little stuff just gives us a stale simple minded MMORPG,
    Not really. I'd argue having to "wait in line to kill a mob" or "having issues playing because of lag due to heavy server load" is much more "stale" than being able to show up and kill the mob without having to take turns or rubber-banding all over the place.

that is one of WoW biggest issues, so much streamlined so anyone can play without any bothersome.
    Seems to me you're equating "being inconvenienced" with "fun". That's like saying being stuck in traffic is fun. Or that waiting in line at a busy supermarket is fun.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Yeah I bet the experience would be much better with 60k people on the same realm without any layering. Sure bro.

Imagine being 2+ years late on this layering stuff. No one cares. Blizzard doesn't care. If you don't want it then go play another game. It's not going away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Like the real world, everything relevant happens in teh "big cities" and in 2022 players know this in a way we didn't in 2005. Blizzard begging people to move to the country is just not going to work
    Yet it has worked so far. Queue times have dropped quite a bit so far.

- - - Updated - - -

bs. this was never what "made" WOW because we never had servers with such population. And even with normal populated highpop servers in the past there were a LOT of issues...which you seem to ignore because you live in the past my friend. The people who hate on layering are the minority and obviously do not understand the totally plausible reason. You should read the blue post and watch some YT videos which explain the situation.

Layering is fine.

/Thread