10+ Year Old Account

Well now...
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-09-12 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post

Well now...
    Lots of people falling down from windows soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    How long until the people at risk from falling from windows figure out there’s just one dude doing the pushing and they outnumber him?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    appropriate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    More accurate:
    https://www.101soundboards.com/sounds/178514-mommy
    Don't sweat the details!!!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    How long until the people at risk from falling from windows figure out there’s just one dude doing the pushing and they outnumber him?
    Until they remember he still controls the country and FSB. It's never just one dude, when it comes to dictators. And he spent 20y to cement his leadership, gain loyalties and remove opponents.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-09-12 at 08:12 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just one dude. With lots of people who are willing to do the pushing on his behalf as a means to curry favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    It's just one dude. With lots of people who are willing to do the pushing on his behalf as a means to curry favor.
    Yeah but are those other people still willing to do the pushing if the guy telling them to push others gets… pushed?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Until they remember he still controls the country and FSB. It's never just one dude, when it comes to dictators. And he spent 20y to cement his leadership, gain loyalties and remove opponents.
    Maybe so, but remember that the FSB has had some scapegoating done to them, he's been dangerous to the army leadership as well...the two pillars.

And I can't help but see a parallel between Chroetsjov and his demise and putin: he too went to his summer home, and when he came back he was deposed.

Not saying that's what's going to happen but avoiding the army leadership might mean it's starting to get a bit hot.

Isn't Ukraine launching an all-out offensive to retake occupied territories like Crimea what Russia would consider an attack on their sovereignty, btw?
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Isn't Ukraine launching an all-out offensive to retake occupied territories like Crimea what Russia would consider an attack on their sovereignty, btw?
    Crimea is a long way off (and Ukraine have been striking it). The fighting is in Kherson and Kharkiv (Luhansk Oblast + Donetsk Oblast is where the new lines are).

Crimea isn't Russian territory anyway, and Ukranians have been striking belograd anyway so?

10+ Year Old Account
    He's just the tip of the iceberg.

I keep telling people here, it's a whole system there. Putin will only be removed once the actual key stakeholders decide to revolt or there will be a public critical mass against him, not by some middle rank officials with little to no power from some random districts.

As for said officials, I bet a few of them will soon have some bogus (or not so much bogus) charges lines up against and be made example. It's all too easy to uncover corruption when the order comes from the top.

People here meme about the windows, but that one is only a very small part of what regime does to control the dissent - the actual suppression is going on in courts and on much greater and not as obvious scale.

- - - Updated - - -

And what Russia going to do about it? Launch nooks and risk turning the anemic semi-passive western support for Ukraine into a very full throttle active one?

Though to relieve you a bit - I don't think Ukraine is going to try and take Crimea back anytime soon.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2022-09-12 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    And what Russia going to do about it?

They'll write a letter saying how very, very angry they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    And what Russia going to do about it?
    a lot of things besides nukes they could do, like going all in on forcibly conscripting from Moscow and turning it into an open military state in times of crisis. The fact they haven't has made me question their resolve in this war (not taking it too seriously), or whether Putin has the authority for everything that goes on in the military.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-09-12 at 09:09 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    a lot of things besides nukes they could do, like going all in on forcibly conscripting from Moscow and turning it into an open military state in times of crisis. The fact they haven't has made me question their resolve in this war (not taking it too seriously), or whether Putin has the authority for everything that goes on in the military.
    Conscription and wartime would hit Putin's approval hard.

It's no coincidence that Russia jumps out of their skin to sell the story at home how this is not a war. Suddenly turning it into one will have major reprecussions at home.

Even beside that, does Russia even have the equipment and ability to arm and train said conscripts? I am not so sure. All it may do is send more meat to the grinder and turn it into even bigger catastrophe for Russia itself that will no longer be deniable.

The reality is - Putin and co. are in big trouble now, because they don't have any good options at all. Whatever option they can do is bad and may end the whole thing for good.

The only thing they can do now - is to cut their losses and focus on defending hard the few key gains they still hold. Which is probably why they bailed hard from various parts last few days, because it was pointless to try to hold it and lose more in the end.

I, personally, think for Russia the absolutely best option would be to consolidate the defenses, hold gains in the south and wait for the winter - that will give them time to breathe and regroup, while West will be dealing with energy crisis and maybe luck would have it some other distraction.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2022-09-12 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    https://twitter.com/InnaSovsun/statu...36595433545730

Yep, russians just gonna laugh at us if we are lenient in any manner here. My voice joins Gabriel's - fuck Russia, harshest possible penalties for their kind. Little Ivans gonna cry for their mamas once they enjoy the extended hospitality of ukrainian prisons with hopefully far harsher treatment than normal criminals.
    Its not about justice, its about winning the war.
    A soldier who feels he will be mistreated when captured or face life imprisonment will keep fighting far longer then a soldier who knows he will be treated humanly and allowed to return home.

You want the enemy soldiers to be willing to surrender, it makes winning battles a whole lot easier when they lay down their arms when the bullets start flying.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

looks like the Azeri's are trying to kill some Armenians again. Which is a problem for Russia. Heavy fighting going on.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    looks like the Azeri's are trying to kill some Armenians again. Which is a problem for Russia. Heavy fighting going on.
    Reports seem to be that it isn't an attack against the enclave but Armenia proper. Armenia is in a bas spot as its only friend in the region is Russia who really isn't in a position to help.

Meanwhile Medvedev is going full Goebels at the end of the Reich mode. His latest frothing is that the new ultimatum will be the complete surrender of the Kyiv regime on Russia's terms.

And Russia is sending out very mixed messages about the Kharkiv 'retreat' - but what else is new? On one hand it was a planned and well executed action. On the other they sacked the general in charge of the region even though he had only been in charge there for less than two weeks and state media propagandists are calling for the execution of all officers in charge there. Seems a bit extreme for an operation that went well...

Speaking of state media propagandists, they have been advocating more atrocities again, this time saying that a total blackout of Ukraine needs to take place, removing all running water and electricity.

Another Russia energy exec has a falling death - this time he fell off a boat rather than out a window.

- - - Updated - - -

Another big haul on Oryx from the Kharkiv rout - 99 more units, including 49 more captures. And 3 more planes on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Another Russia energy exec has a falling death - this time he fell off a boat rather than out a window.
    I know no one is surprised by these news articles anymore, but this illustrates why Putin and Trump are the scariest people on the planet. They just clasp their hands and they can kill anyone they feel like, often with their whole families.

15+ Year Old Account
    What a surprise... YUPPIE posts and the word "nuke/nukes/nuked etc" is included.
    I counted the amount of times he used that word in a post in this thread back in late June or early July.
    He was up at #42 times back then.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.