Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why is the main reason people want WOW to die?

I am no talking about if you dont like the game anymore, or you think that the game is far worse than before. You probably have valid arguments for that. But what I dont understand is why people want wow to die since Cataclsym. I mean, it is like people stop to enjoy something but cant stand the fact that there are others that still enjoy or play it.

So what do you think? Do people really want WOW to finally die ?

Quote Originally Posted by fenixazul View Post
    mostly because humans seem discontent to just have an opinion and leave it at that - they feel the need for that opinion to be objectively and irrefutably correct and the only viable opinion to have.
    this tendency seem to increase exponentially with how strong their feelings on the subject, or the virility of their opinion.

so, people who liked wow and then didn't like wow and so now have to hate wow *need* it to go bankrupt and stop existing in order to prove beyond refute that their opinion on wow is correct and no other opinion can compete.
    it's basically an escalating ego trip, the need to destroy something just to make your preference seem unassailable.

Some people are haters. Some people don't like seeing a game they like change.

Personally, I don't want to see the game die, but I would like a lot of the half-assed features to be better fleshed out. I think the majority of the QoL features added over the years are generally a good thing. There are some current issues with how raid design and M+ are implemented together, and how PvP still for some reason has an influence on PvE and vice versa.

This most recent season is pretty clearly Blizzard just hitting the "abort" button on shadowlands and throwing us a bone to hopefully keep us occupied and subscribed until we can move on to Dragonlands, so I try not to judge it too harshly. It's kinda shit, but we knew well ahead of time that it was going to be shit and we'll eventually get some new content at the end of the year. As a GM I'm just hoping my raiders remember to come back for the new expansion instead of stay on a permanent hiatus from the game, and until then I'll enjoy fighting for high rankings on the M+ boards while I have less competition.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am no talking about if you dont like the game anymore, or you think that the game is far worse than before. You probably have valid arguments for that. But what I dont understand is why people want wow to die since Cataclsym. I mean, it is like people stop to enjoy something but cant stand the fact that there are others that still enjoy or play it.

Vindication. It's like leaving your bf/gf because reasons and you hope that later they fail in life which makes you feel good having left. Meaning they get mad if the person they left turned out to be just fine without them, even thriving.

I bet the replies to this analogy will be magical.

Ehh maybe it needs to die something else that had the spirit of wow could take it place (WOW died for me around the end of WOD, Legion they added in several things I hate in MMO's big one being scaling *played some games with it where it just merely sucked but blizzards scaling is a whole new level of crap, the War powers idea was stupid too, one of the original dev's stated on the forums years ago the play (skills\spells) should be the same in PVE and PVP , didn't help the morons (to put nicely) in charge now forgot it's a RPG and people get attached to their toons they spend years upon years playing and wipe them out in one expansion (in my case range survial) *not nerfs or power changes but major play style changes, there was a post before GC left about learning that lesson and when they switched (I think it might have be SK's?) and the back lash in making major changes how a class\spec plays. (most of my friend that quit this was the reason, they got tired of relearning their classes every expansion).
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2022-09-12 at 10:09 PM.

They want an excuse to never come back and can't control themselves

That's it

So other MMOs can thrive? 20 years of being the no.1 doesn't leave much room for innovation.

5+ Year Old Account
    Time for a new game, possibly WoW 2. The current game is beyond saving and it's old and boring.

I can't wait for Riot's mmo.

Thats not true, i want it to thrive, but blizzard seens so afraid of embracing good formulas and innovating. I love the game, but I need to tell the truth

first: your english is in my opinion even worse than my own. and that means a lot.

second: in my opinion, most people don’t want to see WoW die. they may sound like they want. but most of the time it’s exactly the opposite. imo. the reason why they sound like they want to see WoW die is: they feel betrayed. because they heavily committed themselfes (by a lot of time, effort and personal investment) to a game and a game design, that was heavily changed years after that commitment.

some ppl may say these above peoples just can’t let it go. maybe that’s also true. but imo the reality is: many of them not want to let it go. they are still here and hope their beloved game, with all their investment, will change back (or at least drive more towards that direction once again), at some time, to the thing they committed themselfes to in the past. not by „going back to 2005“. more in terms of target audience, quality and feel. and from this disapointment (that WoW moved so far away from that game, they once committed themselves to), the „hate/complaining“ comes from, you feel like „they want WoW to die“.

but that’s just my opinion. maybe that’s just me.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-09-12 at 10:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been wondering that myself, some people can't seem to let go and continue to hate years after not even playing anymore. It's absolutely pathetic. Equally bad are the people that play and hate at the same time though.

Hell even in this thread.. "time for a new game" or "so other MMOs can thrive" are some bullshit reasons to want WoW to die... Nothing is stopping others from thriving and nobody is stopping you from playing something else. You people are weak.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Vindication. It's like leaving your bf/gf because reasons and you hope that later they fail in life which makes you feel good having left. Meaning they get mad if the person they left turned out to be just fine without them, even thriving.

I bet the replies to this analogy will be magical.
    100% accurate. People who wrapped up their identity in the game need to feel validated. You can see the same in any fandom, like with people "I'm not a x fan anymore" and actively hate watching criticism because it makes them feel better about their choice

....main reasons I've found here

1. Validation: if wow fails then they are right that it's a shit game and that validation alone will give them all the dopamine they need dopamine...you see these guys whenever a financial report comes in and like "the end is nigh" folks they only have to be right once

2. There's a chunk who feel wow brought down a lot of other MMOs and if it's gone then other MMOs might be able to innovate. These folks do have a bit of a point since Old Republic, Rift, and Star Wars Galaxies suffered because of wow but if we're gonna be real if wow finally dies there's a good chance the MMO genre is going with it.

3. Trolls: they don't know or care just like causing chaos

4. Addiction: seem to have a lot of people that the idea of not playing the game is unheard of the only way they can stop is if the game stops for them...

Or...maybe people want WoW to be as good as it was at some point in the past and the rage is just unfocused. The game was such an adventure in the beginning and at the beginning of an expansion we get the same feeling for a little while but it fades faster each expansion. I think it is a combination of most things being the same every expansion and WoW being run now for maximum time spent and maximum money extracted. The rpg part of the game has also been drained as Dadwen talked about above and amateurs running the game now are too basic and uncreative to fix it.

This isn't unique to WoW at all, in mmos/"liveservice" games some people just go too far and put way too much of their time into it, making it a bigger part of their identity than healthy.

Look into the mirror and ask yourself if it's really "normal" to play a game for 5 years more or less uninterrupted.
    Or 10.
    Or even 15+.

There is no way these weirdos would go quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Or...maybe people want WoW to be as good as it was at some point in the past and the rage is just unfocused. The game was such an adventure in the beginning and at the beginning of an expansion we get the same feeling for a little while but it fades faster each expansion. I think it is a combination of most things being the same every expansion and WoW being run now for maximum time spent and maximum money extracted. The rpg part of the game has also been drained as Dadwen talked about above and amateurs running the game now are too basic and uncreative to fix it.
    i think this has the WAY bigger impact, than the above mentioned „Validation“ argument/reason.

imo both will happen. ofc. but for my personal experience it feels more like 80% of what Khazmodan said and 20% „Validation“. not in the sense of „as good as it was“. more in the sense of „the game i committed myself to“.

ppl often forget that there is a difference in investment between playing 200+ hours a MMORPG or 7 hours some ID shooter.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-09-12 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they love what it used to be so much </sarcasm>.

It also seems to be painful for them to just walk the fuck away.

The very idea that a game, any game, should be as fresh and new as it was 17 years ago, but not changing the things I liked by too much is so nonsensical that it hurts to think about it. "Innovate but don't change anything that I liked almost 20 years ago."
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2022-09-12 at 10:47 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    This isn't unique to WoW at all, in mmos/"liveservice" games some people just go too far and put way too much of their time into it, making it a bigger part of their identity than healthy.

Look into the mirror and ask yourself if it's really "normal" to play a game for 5 years more or less uninterrupted.
    Or 10.
    Or even 15+.

There is no way these weirdos would go quietly.
    yep, it’s just a „normal thing“. the reactions of such ppl are totally normal. they committed themselves heavily to a thing, that was heavily changed later.

is it normal/healthy to commit that hard to a video game? no.
    is it normal/healthy to invest that much time in a single game? no.
    is it normal to be disappointed and angry when this investment is hurt? yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    i think this has the WAY bigger impact, than the above mentioned „Validation“ argument/reason.

imo both will happen. ofc. but for my personal experience it feels more like 80% of what Khazmodan said and 20% „Validation“. not in the sense of „as good as it was“. more in the sense of „the game i committed myself to“.

ppl often forget that there is a difference in investment between playing 200+ hours a MMORPG or 7 hours some ID shooter.
    The hours spent is a good point, I know I have spent several hundred hours on Fallout New Vegas but if it was getting changed every 2 years to a more monetized game that eliminated the parts I loved, then I would be really mad. Add in the social aspect of WoW where you are losing friends that you used to play with (even though they may be quitting for many reasons that have nothing to do with the game) and you get people that are socially isolated and looking to point fingers.
    Last edited by khazmodan; 2022-09-12 at 10:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

People as a whole are selfish. Period. If they no longer enjoy something, they will do everything they can to talk down/ruin it for anyone else they can. There is an old adage that says, "Misery loves Company". This is a truth. When someone is unhappy, they want everyone around them to be just as unhappy. Trick is to realize this type of person and distance yourself as much as possible.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG