Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Something that just occurred to me; Would it be necessary to rename the country, should the monarchy get abolished? UK stands for United Kingdom, after all.

I'd imagine the country can call itself whatever it wants, and a name change is not strictly speaking a requirement, but it would feel a little odd if it kept it's old name.
    it would be an opening bidding system and we would end up being called Sports Direct.

Its actually funny how this old bird dying might push the UK into recession with closures in the sports, entertainment and other business sectors. One last jab at the poor from our dead capitalist landlord celebrity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Its actually funny how this old bird dying might push the UK into recession with closures in the sports, entertainment and other business sectors.
    Really? How is her death causing all that? (I don't mean that as an accusation, I know fuck-all about any of this).
    Last edited by Santti; 2022-09-12 at 12:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Really? How is her death causing all that? (I don't mean that as an accusation, I know fuck-all about any of this).
    The UK, like most of the Western world, is either in or on the verge of a recession and there is a fear that the Bank holiday for her funeral, and subsequent closure of some businesses for that day, will be enough to push the UK into recession (assuming that it is not already in one). Obviously if the loss of GDP from one Bank holiday is enough to push the UK into recession there are deeper issues with the economy and to paint it as a dig at the poor is particularly nonsensical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, dunno how Bolsheviks are supposed to take this news;
    Cuba declares a day of official mourning for the death of Elizabeth II
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Halloween Voter View Post
    Man, dunno how Bolsheviks are supposed to take this news;
    Cuba declares a day of official mourning for the death of Elizabeth II
    Lots of non-American countries have had pretty decent relationships with Cuba for like 20+ years now, or longer.

There's a whole system here in Canada with government support to get Canadian tourists to take extra luggage on their trip to Cuba, so that various charities can pack it full of medical supplies and pharmaceuticals, to get around the still-active American embargo.

American antagonism towards Cuba hasn't had legitimacy for 30+ years at this point. It's just a harmful grudge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Lots of non-American countries have had pretty decent relationships with Cuba for like 20+ years now, or longer.

There's a whole system here in Canada with government support to get Canadian tourists to take extra luggage on their trip to Cuba, so that various charities can pack it full of medical supplies and pharmaceuticals, to get around the still-active American embargo.

American antagonism towards Cuba hasn't had legitimacy for 30+ years at this point. It's just a harmful grudge.
    *takes notes*

So Cuba honoring The Queen is just an appeal for capitalist Canadian dollars. Plus a shoe-horn of your personal grudge with the US.

Can someone in the DALL-E queue do this for me, <Charles III>+<Bathing Suit>+<Playa Paraiso> and send it tot he Cuban Tourism Council.

We gonna need the laughs as SAD sweeps across the Northern Hemisphere.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Halloween Voter View Post
    *takes notes*

So Cuba honoring The Queen is just an appeal for capitalist Canadian dollars. Plus a shoe-horn of your personal grudge with the US.

Can someone in the DALL-E queue do this for me, <Charles III>+<Bathing Suit>+<Playa Paraiso> and send it tot he Cuban Tourism Council.

We gonna need the laughs as SAD sweeps across the Northern Hemisphere.
    You're the one inserting bullshit into this. A nation expressed dismay and condolences at the death of a long-serving head of state of an friendly nation. And you decided to make it a big giant "thing" for some reason.

[QUOTE=eschatological;53903607]I mean, Charles can do the right thing and dissolve the monarchy, and put the lands in the public's hands.

I'm an immigrant from a former British Colony. My grandparents grew up under British rule. The Crown owes India about 3 trillion dollars. It's all stolen.[/QUOTE

didnt the brits try to civilize your country by certain metrics I'd say they failed

10+ Year Old Account
    Very interested in how the public will perceive the monarchy under Charles.

There has been a lot of respect for the old queen, as she has a carefully crafted image as the nations grandmother, and who wants to criticize their own grandmother?

Can Charles inspire the same love and respect?

Even in my (republican) country this topic has dominated the headlines - but they have gotten more aggressive - todays big headline is the portests against Andrew, and the writers who up until now always fell for the grandmotherly charme of the monarchy are suddenly sounding less positive.

One can hope

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The UK, like most of the Western world, is either in or on the verge of a recession and there is a fear that the Bank holiday for her funeral, and subsequent closure of some businesses for that day, will be enough to push the UK into recession (assuming that it is not already in one). Obviously if the loss of GDP from one Bank holiday is enough to push the UK into recession there are deeper issues with the economy and to paint it as a dig at the poor is particularly nonsensical.
    Coming off COVID I think that's just many handlers throwing a fit about losing money for a day or a deserved hit because we learned absolutely nothing from the past two years. I think shutting down an entire country for a day is crazy but it should not cause any problems.

I don't appreciate analysts sowing doom into reality whilst they profit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post

There has been a lot of respect for the old queen, as she has a carefully crafted image as the nations grandmother, and who wants to criticize their own grandmother?

Even in my (republican) country this topic has dominated the headlines - but they have gotten more aggressive - todays big headline is the portests against Andrew, and the writers who up until now always fell for the grandmotherly charme of the monarchy are suddenly sounding less positive.

One can hope
    If they monarchy wants respect it would welcome the critics and tell its fanatics to relax.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Coming off COVID I think that's just many handlers throwing a fit about losing money for a day or a deserved hit because we learned absolutely nothing from the past two years. I think shutting down an entire country for a day is crazy but it should not cause any problems.

- - - Updated - - -

If they monarchy wants respect it would welcome the critics and tell its fanatics to relax.
    Honestly, i hope they don't and get removed by public pressure, so we can get rid of this relic of the past - the whole notion that special people ordained by imaginary friends are somehow better than the rest of us plebs is deeply insulting -> at least when it is made into the base of your system of government.

One can hope
    he was polling about 30% in the 'would he make a good king'

now at 60% which sort of shows the power of the media?

One can hope
    There aren't protests against Andrew, there are a handful of attention seeking dickheads who have decided seek their five minutes of fame on Twitter during the procession. A minority of these morons have been arrested - presumably for their own safety - which has sparked debate about the limits of free speech and whether or not the police should intervene. But to state that there are protests and that there is a less a positive coverage of the royals is false.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

We aren't shutting down the entire country for a day, we're having an additional bank holiday. Businesses are free to open or close as they see fit and I am sure that the majority of people are grateful for the additional day regardless of whether they will be mourning the Queen's funeral.

10+ Year Old Account
    There aren't protests against Andrew, there are a handful of attention seeking dickheads who have decided seek their five minutes of fame on Twitter during the procession. A minority of these morons have been arrested - presumably for their own safety - which has sparked debate about the limits of free speech and whether or not the police should intervene. But to state that there are protests and that there is a less a positive coverage of the royals is false.
    I think i was making it clear that i was speaking about the media in my country (german speaking) and a specific very popular newspaper that always have been very positive when it came to british monarchy is running now headlines about protesting people (I'm sorry, i'm not a native speaker so i don't know how many people are required before i'm allowed to use the word "protesting" - please link me to the source).

Now you can argue what does the austrian public opinion matter on that topic? Not a lot, i'd argue, but if you read my post again, that's why i posted it as a question in how the public perceives Charles. Jonneysensible was able to answer my question without going on a weird tanget.

It's cute that you're defending your grandma, but please next time do not crop out the actual questions leading my post and thereby making my question look like a claim. Thanks.

I think i was making it clear that i was speaking about the media in my country (german speaking) and a specific very popular newspaper that always have been very positive when it came to british monarchy is running now headlines about protesting people (I'm sorry, i'm not a native speaker so i don't know how many people are required before i'm allowed to use the word "protesting" - please link me to the source).

Now you can argue what does the austrian public opinion matter on that topic? Not a lot, i'd argue, but if you read my post again, that's why i posted it as a question in how the public perceives Charles. Jonneysensible was able to answer my question without going on a weird tanget.

It's cute that you're defending your grandma, but please next time do not crop out the actual questions leading my post and thereby making my question look like a claim. Thanks.
    Seeing as either your media is incorrectly reporting that there are protests or you are exaggerating that is not at all unsurprising.

Yeah, yeah, you were just asking questions.

Pointing out your inaccuracies is not defending my "grandma". Grow up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as either your media is incorrectly reporting that there are protests or you are exaggerating that is not at all unsurprising.

Yeah, yeah, you were just asking questions.

Pointing out your inaccuracies is not defending my "grandma". Grow up.
    I'm talking about the public perception, and if they make a few people into a protest, then yes, it is different to before when we got 3 stories a day about the queens dogs, clothes and flag-waving.

So instead of continuing the insults, maybe it was bad wording on my part - but to put it very simple: the up until now very pro-royal press in my country seems to be less so now, and i'm interested if this is a general shift in public/journalistic attitude.

I'm talking about the public perception, and if they make a few people into a protest, then yes, it is different to before when we got 3 stories a day about the queens dogs, clothes and flag-waving.

So instead of continuing the insults, maybe it was bad wording on my part - but to put it very simple: the up until now very pro-royal press in my country seems to be less so now, and i'm interested if this is a general shift in public/journalistic attitude.
    The Queen has just died what do you think the public perception will be? Even if the majority did not already have a favourable opinion of the Royal family the Royals would at least receive a break from criticism as a mark of respect and common decency.

If you are really getting 3 stories a day about the British royal family then I would suggest that your press is far more obsessed with the Royals than ours.

I would imagine that the coverage in your press rather than being a shift in public opinion is nothing more than usual journalistic shit-stirring in order to sell more newspapers or generate clicks and/or views.

I would suggest that your press is far more obsessed with the Royals than ours.
    I mean its 24hour news on all news channels in the UK so I doubt it. The BBC front page is 80% royal coverage and has been for days.

One can hope
    Charles will never measure up simply because he will not have 70 years. He will not become the only monarch people can remember.

But he can be a king of the times. He has been worrying (and worrying politicians, at that) about climate change well before it entered mainstream politics. He can try show the way forward while remaining above traditional party politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Charles will never measure up simply because he will not have 70 years. He will not become the only monarch people can remember.

But he can be a king of the times. He has been worrying (and worrying politicians, at that) about climate change well before it entered mainstream politics. He can try show the way forward while remaining above traditional party politics.
    I don't think Charles will ever wash the the stink of what he did to Diana not to mention the recent taking bribes I mean "charitable donations" in suitcases full of money from Saudi princes.