DX12 issues + mouse

Okey so this morning when I started playing wotlk prepatch I started getting problems. First problem is that i get fps drops in the game and outside the game while the game is running my mouse laggs (jumps and stutter) and text in other programs and windows search bar in taskbar is blinking, stops as soon as I close wow. So I worked ALL day to solve this and I done complete re-install of game even on another harddrive, I even tried using restore point for my windows 10 and problem stil is there. And now I might think I found the problem somewhat. When I let go of left and or right mouse button the fps goes down 10-20 and the blinking problem beggins so the only way for the problems to stop is when left or right mouse button is used o.O I switched mouse and ports and stil same. Only workaround I found is going from dx12 to dx11 then all problems gone. Anyone got a clue? broken dx12 files or smth o.O help plz. Btw whats the difference dx12 and 11? My hardware is gtx970 and 4.6ghz all core clocked i5 3570k with 8gb memory.

Edit: Now I also re-installed c: with windows 10 after an format and problem stil exist. Yiikes
    Last edited by Dampoisback; 2022-09-13 at 04:46 PM.

I know next to nothing about this sort of technical mumbo jumbo, sorry. You'd probably have more luck either on WoW's technical support forums, or another place dedicated to helping with this sort of thing.

Thread moved from General Offtopic to Computer Build/Upgrade Help.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    DX12 has been around for a while now, somewhat since 2018 and everywhere since 2020. So I don't think it's a general bug in DX12 or anything like that. It's most likely a driver problem. #1 to check is mouse driver (also maybe try a different make/model mouse and see if it persists) and/or any mouse-related software like Logitech, Corsair, and others have.

If that fails, you can continue down the driver chain and look at USB drivers, motherboard updates, etc. And if that fails it's possible that some DX12 files on your system are corrupt and you can reinstall that from the Control Panel. So you'll have to kind of go through a process of elimination to track down the culprit.

Note that if your mouse or other hardware is older it's quite possible there isn't a new driver available that actually includes a fix, in which case replacement is the best option. This could be the case for you since even a system restore didn't work. And last resort is a fresh Windows install, which would help you verify that it's not some other underlying Windows file that is bad. If it would still have issues after that you know you have a driver or hw problem, but try other simpler fixes like another mouse if you can first. Also look for any other running apps you have that could effect it, like cpu "optimizers", maybe try it with your AV paused, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    DX12 has been around for a while now, somewhat since 2018 and everywhere since 2020. So I don't think it's a general bug in DX12 or anything like that. It's most likely a driver problem. #1 to check is mouse driver (also maybe try a different make/model mouse and see if it persists) and/or any mouse-related software like Logitech, Corsair, and others have.

If that fails, you can continue down the driver chain and look at USB drivers, motherboard updates, etc. And if that fails it's possible that some DX12 files on your system are corrupt and you can reinstall that from the Control Panel. So you'll have to kind of go through a process of elimination to track down the culprit.

Note that if your mouse or other hardware is older it's quite possible there isn't a new driver available that actually includes a fix, in which case replacement is the best option. This could be the case for you since even a system restore didn't work. And last resort is a fresh Windows install, which would help you verify that it's not some other underlying Windows file that is bad. If it would still have issues after that you know you have a driver or hw problem, but try other simpler fixes like another mouse if you can first. Also look for any other running apps you have that could effect it, like cpu "optimizers", maybe try it with your AV paused, etc.
    As stated in the post, I tried different usb ports, mouses, reinstalled windows etc so pc is like brand new, didnt have this problem yesterday and only have problem in wow. So no points
    Last edited by Dampoisback; 2022-09-13 at 05:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has been an ongoing issue with retail WoW (for some people) for a long time. I don't know if its specifically related to DX12. There was actually a patch a year or two ago to supposedly fix stuttering mouse but plenty of people still report it. Here's a thread from a couple years ago where it did end up being DX12: https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...-hotfix/168378. I don't know enough about the Wrath client to know if it is susceptible to issues from Retail, but I'd assume so.

It's a different mouse issue but it might be worth trying the stuff in this thread: https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...ring-fix/40704. I found another thread indicating overlays (like those from Discord) can cause issues with the mouse lagging and/or snapping to weird places. If you're using an overlay, try disabling it.

For my own experience, since 9.2, my mouse in WoW has behaved very funky if you use Windowed mode with multiple monitors. Sometimes it becomes stuck and I have to click out and back in to fix it. I never had this issue prior to that patch. Obviously a different issue than lag but to me suggested they fucked with something having to do with cursor/input.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

If you think its DX12 causing your issue, run it in DX11.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    If you think its DX12 causing your issue, run it in DX11.
    Yeah im doing it now but I do not like it all all, it stutters. Aint dx11 single core and dx12 multi core for wow? smth like that.