if Russia executed Brittney Griner, would America do anything? They're clearly just parading around their captive as leverage, but the US doesn't really seem to give a shit as it is.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    if Russia executed Brittney Griner, would America do anything?
    Why would they execute her?

Why do you always seem to have such odd fantasies and fictional scenarios?

if Russia executed Brittney Griner, would America do anything? They're clearly just parading around their captive as leverage, but the US doesn't really seem to give a shit as it is.
    And why would they execute someone they suspect of drug crimes? Russia does not have death penalty anymore officially.

US doesn't give a shit but is willing to trade Viktor Bout for her...A notorious arms dealer of highest order for a basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why would they execute her?
    uhm, this is a country founded on a cultural identity of killing. They are currently waging a genocidal war, killing, raping, and looting everyone and everything in their path; they are actively spreading a misinformation campaign across the world. Russia is also known for, among other things, unlawful imprisonment, gulags, etc.

Locked into such hostilities with America right now, I honestly imagined by now they'd spin some narrative Brittney is some American spy operative and disappear her into fates unknown. Why? To prove a point to America they can't do shit in a projection of strength.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    And why would they execute someone they suspect of drug crimes? Russia does not have death penalty anymore officially.

US doesn't give a shit but is willing to trade Viktor Bout for her...A notorious arms dealer of highest order for a basketball player.
    Eeeeh...they do still have it, but there's a moratorium on it, and that, somehow, has remained in place during all of this.

uhm, this is a country founded on a cultural identity of killing. They are currently waging a genocidal war, killing, raping, and looting everyone and everything in their path; they are actively spreading a misinformation campaign across the world. Russia is also known for, among other things, unlawful imprisonment, gulags, etc.

Locked into such hostilities with America right now, I honestly imagined by now they'd spin some narrative Brittney is some American spy operative and disappear her into fates unknown. Why? To prove a point to America they can't do shit in a projection of strength.
    Projection of strength? To gain what? Who would believe this strength as the Russian forces collapse against the Ukrainian counter-offensive? What does Russia gain from this?

Seriously dude, you have the oddest fantasies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Projection of strength? To gain what? Who would believe this strength as the Russian forces collapse against the Ukrainian counter-offensive? What does Russia gain from this?

Seriously dude, you have the oddest fantasies.
    Really not sure why y'all keep discussing things with him (and enabling him in the process), when it is pretty obvious dude is deeply disturbed and has a warped perception of reality.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

They don't gain anything meaningful, just being petty fucking assholes. Which describes Putin pretty well. I mean let's not forget how mad Russia is over repeated funding and arming for Ukraine by Western forces, but they're otherwise incapable of doing anything but petty shit.

Like "we kill your kind, what are you going to do about it?!" and feeling satisfied off that.

They already killed our Marines before and nothing happened for instance.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-09-14 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Eeeeh...they do still have it, but there's a moratorium on it, and that, somehow, has remained in place during all of this.
    Capital punishment is theoretically a legal penalty but is not allowed in Russia due to a moratorium
    You're not wrong, but Russia is definitely not gonna start causing that kind of mayhem for a basketball player. Nothing to gain, despite of Yuppie having weird beliefs of Russia's divine capability.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic and Republican U.S. senators introduced legislation on Wednesday that would designate Russia as a state sponsor of terrorism, a label pushed for by Ukraine but opposed by President Joe Biden's administration.

anyone wanna explain the bolded bit? I know Joe Biden always clamored for Putin having a way out but didn't know it went this far.

10+ Year Old Account
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic and Republican U.S. senators introduced legislation on Wednesday that would designate Russia as a state sponsor of terrorism, a label pushed for by Ukraine but opposed by President Joe Biden's administration.

anyone wanna explain the bolded bit? I know Joe Biden always clamored for Putin having a way out but didn't know it went this far.
    Designating russia as a state sponsor of terrorism would sever the last diplomatic channels between russia and the US, I know a lot of people don't care, but I'd rather they have *some* diplomatic contact than none.

anyone wanna explain the bolded bit?
    Sure - https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...sm-2022-09-14/

It's in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Designating russia as a state sponsor of terrorism would sever the last diplomatic channels between russia and the US.
    I believe Vladimir Putin himself commentated somewhere around last year as far as US-Russia relations go, it's already in "complete ruin" so that seems pretty moot.

I believe Vladimir Putin himself commentated somewhere around last year as far as US-Russia relations go, it's already in "complete ruin" so that seems pretty moot.
    It might seem that way to you, but those with an IQ above 70 realize that such policies aren’t magically disappeared if a regime change happens in Russia.

I can very much imagine the cost/benefit analysis does not add up here, for Biden.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    I can very much imagine the cost/benefit analysis does not add up here, for Biden.
    yeah I know this isn't a Biden thread, but I must be dense for speculating if a guy that expressedly wants an out for Putin and fistbumped bin Salman is morally dubious.

I just hate the fact his administration is in the way of this designation in particular.

Another Putin Ally Dead After ‘Suffocating’ on Business Trip

Vladimir Nikolayevich Sungorkin, 68, was editor-in-chief of the Russian state newspaper, Komsomolskaya Pravda. According to the newspaper, Sungorkin died “suddenly” after showing signs of “suffocation” during the trip on Wednesday.

“It happened absolutely suddenly, nothing foreshadowed. We were in the village of Roshchino. We were driving, we were already making our way towards Khabarovsk, we planned to get there in the evening today, and from there to Moscow. All was good,” his colleague Leonid Zakharov, who had accompanied him on the business trip, wrote in a story for KP.

Sungorkin’s passing comes amid a string of mysterious deaths of top Putin allies this month. Most recently, Ivan Pechorin, aviation director for Russia’s Far East and Arctic Development Corporation, was reported dead after allegedly “falling from a boat” in Vladivostok, according to local Russian media outlets.

‐-----‐--
    Curiouser and curiouser...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

Vladimir Nikolayevich Sungorkin, 68, was editor-in-chief of the Russian state newspaper, Komsomolskaya Pravda. According to the newspaper, Sungorkin died “suddenly” after showing signs of “suffocation” during the trip on Wednesday.

“It happened absolutely suddenly, nothing foreshadowed. We were in the village of Roshchino. We were driving, we were already making our way towards Khabarovsk, we planned to get there in the evening today, and from there to Moscow. All was good,” his colleague Leonid Zakharov, who had accompanied him on the business trip, wrote in a story for KP.

Sungorkin’s passing comes amid a string of mysterious deaths of top Putin allies this month. Most recently, Ivan Pechorin, aviation director for Russia’s Far East and Arctic Development Corporation, was reported dead after allegedly “falling from a boat” in Vladivostok, according to local Russian media outlets.

‐-----‐--
    I mean...if you want to float the conspiracy theory that someone is eroding putin's allies to send him a message I'm onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

‐-----‐--
    yeah, you cross Putin in any way, you die or worse. It's not special by now, but always illustrates the terrifying scope of his power and influence.

I wonder why rich and influential Russians are not hiding in a European winter home with private security and refusing to meet face to face with anyone.
    Tho I supposed those have been confiscated as part of sanctions.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I wonder why rich and influential Russians are not hiding in a European winter home with private security and refusing to meet face to face with anyone.
    Tho I supposed those have been confiscated as part of sanctions.
    Maybe a case of: "I didn't think the panthers would eat MY face", said the woman who voted for the party for panthers eating peoples' faces. (in other words they naively thought they'd be safe?)