Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Ah, I see. Meant no harm.
    Tis okay

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    I had no issue with the post, everybody is entitled to their opinions and I am in no position to judge.
    I cannot stress enough how thankful I am that you say that!
    Took a severe castigation the other day for having a different opinion in the She-Shrek thread.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Plenty of shows have pulled the viewer in immediately. This one did not.

And after 4 episodes, I still don't really buy into any of these characters. The show is being carried by legacy rather than its own merit.
    Seriously! For a show with the name dragon in the title, and a poster that advertises a huge dragon surrounded by the hundreds of swords of his slain enemies, you'd think that the show would be exciting! Like princes flying around on dragons or fighting sorcerers or castle sieges or big naval battles. Instead, we are four hours in and aside from 2 minutes of fighting rando bandits on a beach or a 10 second montage of knights killing each other, it's been people standing around talking in low, emotionless voices. If you were four hours into LotR film trilogy you would be watching Aragorn and friends defending Helm's Deep from 10,000 Uruk Hai by now, after having eluded nine dark riders, fought their way through an underground kingdom, fought a shadowy demon, and having another battle in a forest.

The show is good in that it scratches the itch that GoT originally did. The politics and backstabbing is great, but the show's characters aren't interesting enough to carry that by itself. The king, Daemon, Corlys (who is barely in it) and Otto are the only interesting characters, maybe Alicient if I'm being generous. The rest of the cast isn't bad, but nothing to write home about. And none of the previously mentioned characters reach the heights of Tyrion, Bronn, The Hound, Cersei / Jamie, Tywin, Ned Stark, Littlefinger, Varis, etc.

Also, the show has a severe lack of diversity when it comes to locations. Seriously, how many scenes do we need in the king's /council's chambers? Probably the worst part about the show - it's very insular around the Targaryans and nobody else and they're just not interesting enough to carry the show by itself. Which leaves us with what? The crab guy who ended up going nowhere? Criston Cole? An off-brand Jaime Lannister?
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2022-09-17 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    Really liked the 4th episode.
    All that character development Reinira took was not in vain: she finally managed to become a strong, independent slut, and a cheap liar to boot.
    just curious,would you consider the men in the show to also be sluts?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Seriously! For a show with the name dragon in the title, and a poster that advertises a huge dragon surrounded by the hundreds of swords of his slain enemies, you'd think that the show would be exciting! Like princes flying around on dragons or fighting sorcerers or castle sieges or big naval battles. Instead, we are four hours in and aside from 2 minutes of fighting rando bandits on a beach or a 10 second montage of knights killing each other, it's been people standing around talking in low, emotionless voices. If you were four hours into LotR film trilogy you would be watching Aragorn and friends defending Helm's Deep from 10,000 Uruk Hai by now, after having eluded nine dark riders, fought their way through an underground kingdom, fought a shadowy demon, and having another battle in a forest.
    i always found that got was at its best when the talking was happening,but dont worry about dragon figths,there are around 20 ish dragons in this timeline and by the end there will be 4

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I don't mind the relatively sparse fighting. The scope of this show is quite narrow, which isn't a bad thing.... but in general the fewer characters in a show, the better all of them need to be to carry the story along, and this is one place where HotD is falling short for me.

GoT by comparison told a much more complex story from way more viewpoints, so even if down to a man the acting wasn't any better (which in some cases it wasn't), the delivery was much more effective.

5+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    just curious,would you consider the men in the show to also be sluts?
    Daemon certainly does cut it as a slutmaker - I mean, just look at Rhaenyra and her apotheosis as one in episode 4.

Daemon certainly does cut it as a slutmaker - I mean, just look at Rhaenyra and her apotheosis as one in episode 4.
    How is that in any way a reply to my question?

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    The show is good in that it scratches the itch that GoT originally did. The politics and backstabbing is great, but the show's characters aren't interesting enough to carry that by itself. The king, Daemon, Corlys (who is barely in it) and Otto are the only interesting characters, maybe Alicient if I'm being generous. The rest of the cast isn't bad, but nothing to write home about. And none of the previously mentioned characters reach the heights of Tyrion, Bronn, The Hound, Cersei / Jamie, Tywin, Ned Stark, Littlefinger, Varis, etc.

Also, the show has a severe lack of diversity when it comes to locations. Seriously, how many scenes do we need in the king's /council's chambers? Probably the worst part about the show - it's very insular around the Targaryans and nobody else and they're just not interesting enough to carry the show by itself. Which leaves us with what? The crab guy who ended up going nowhere? Criston Cole? An off-brand Jaime Lannister?
    Probably will see more locations in the future. The first season appears very much intent on establishing Rhaenyra as a character and the basis for the coming civil war. Once they do a time skip and actually focus on the war itself I imagine you will see a lot more of Westoros involved.

I think the show is really good so far. Considering its based on a fraction of the source material that GoT was its promising so far. I think the most risky thing will be when they switch actors for the older versions of Rhaenyra and Alicent.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2022-09-17 at 08:45 PM.

By way of answering your question with a practical description with Daemon serving as an example.

By way of answering your question with a practical description with Daemon serving as an example.
    Ok thats fine,but do you mind actualy responding to the question i asked?or would your sexism be made to obvious by the reply?

Ok thats fine,but do you mind actualy responding to the question i asked?or would your sexism be made to obvious by the reply?
    I didn't mind answering in the original response to your question.
    Daemon is certainly a slutmaker - just a few touches by him made Rhaenyra finally evolve into a proper slut, capitalizing on all the development she received in previous episodes.

I didn't mind answering in the original response to your question.
    Daemon is certainly a slutmaker - just a few touches by him made Rhaenyra finally evolve into a proper slut, capitalizing on all the development she received in previous episodes.
    Gotcha,so sexist it is,a chick has sex once and shes a slut,a dude has one every other day and they are a chad

He isn't interested in replying in good faith. He's just here to make this thread as unusable as the She-Hulk thread is.

Episode 5 is the best so far IMO. Decent amount of tension the whole way through. Alicente's naivety is gone and the real game of thrones is underway. Larys is great, slimy as fuck. The quality of the acting is very good, as are the visuals, costumes and music. The show continues to deviate from the source material but nothing too egregious. Bummed that I have to wait a week for the next episode.

I liked Larys Strong playing the game. Shifty little bastard lol. His brother is great too, punching his way through the crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow this was the best episode so far. Larys becoming the cunning cunt. Alicent bringing war during that speech. Ser Christan almost committing seppuku.

ser Criston isn't the brightest candle in the candelabra, he actually thought she'd gonna be poor with him. Also note to self: always wait for the accusation before confessing anything.

As others have said, best so far.
    The tension throughout the reception...god damn.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    ser Criston isn't the brightest candle in the candelabra, he actually thought she'd gonna be poor with him. Also note to self: always wait for the accusation before confessing anything.
    To be honest I feel like writing stupidity isn't all that different than writing intelligence.

A character can feel dumb because its forced, or they can feel dumb because the writers clearly fail at writing them correctly. But Ser Criston I feel feels rather natural. He's not a guy for plots and schemes and navigating politicial courts. He's wrapped up in codes of honor, and feels like he's betraying the core of his being. He's a knight that's good at fighting things, and that's what Rhaenyra picked him for.

If she had picked one of the more 'politicial' choices like her advisors urged her too, he likely would have been better at dealing with this situation.