10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Υeah tbh I was pretty sure it was happening I was just too lazy to search for a source
    I think YUPPIE even made a post about it, a big FU I think he called it. (Pollution, "look at us burning gas", etc.)

Yeah, they are having to burn off $10 million of gas a day for months now because no one is buying and they have nowhere to store it. And they can't just turn off production either as if they do the whole system freezes up and will take billions and a number of years to restart. Oh, and it requires Western tech and expertise to do as well.

One good thing about this whole thing is it gives every despot in the world a small taste of what it would be like to fight the US. No one is going to want to break off a piece of that for the next 100 years. Biden has played this very well so far. If only he was 20 years younger.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2022-09-18 at 07:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwarven View Post
    One good thing about this whole thing is it gives every despot in the world a small taste of what it would be like to fight the US. No one is going to want to break off a piece of that for the next 100 years.
    Well luckily Biden is all-in on assisting Ukraine to resist Russia, despite the GOP's shifting narrative of abandoning Ukraine to its fate and Trump's early praise of Putin for the invasion. I can only imagine how this would have gone differently were Trump in charge; he'd likely have pushed Ukraine to surrender as swiftly as possible and cede territory at the jump and then used that as reasoning to push towards moving the US out of NATO.

Thankfully, we don't live in such a world. NATO with the US leading the charge is poised to be stronger than ever and Russia is getting a reminder that their few years of monkeying around in US politics wasn't enough to turn anyone who matters into their "ally."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    NATO is scary, so we'll remove our air defenses from our biggest city near NATO...

Yeah, so not all defenses but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I think YUPPIE even made a post about it, a big FU I think he called it. (Pollution, "look at us burning gas", etc.)
    You expect me to read those posts?

Ukraine's Ministry of Defense announced via Twitter that they received an enormous amount of ammunition from the Russian army. However, since they cannot accept gifts from a nation that commits such atrocities, they intend to send it all back... Every last shell.

Quote Originally Posted by dwarven View Post
    One good thing about this whole thing is it gives every despot in the world a small taste of what it would be like to fight the US. No one is going to want to break off a piece of that for the next 100 years. Biden has played this very well so far. If only he was 20 years younger.
    Sadly NATO did not do this in 2014 when they should have and so many people have died and will die because of it. Not that if Obama had tried Merkel would have ever agreed.

10+ Year Old Account
    You expect me to read those posts?
    Obviously not deliberately. (even though he once or twice had a good impression of a broken clock. )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Ukraine's Ministry of Defense announced via Twitter that they received an enormous amount of ammunition from the Russian army. However, since they cannot accept gifts from a nation that commits such atrocities, they intend to send it all back... Every last shell.
    Ukraine Troll Game still going strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    It's not really an FU either. When you're burning gas like the way Russia is it means they have nothing else they can do with it. They have all the gas, they can't sell it, they can't store it, their stocks are full, and the only way to get rid of it is to burn it.

This is essentially millions (maybe billions) of rubles going up in smoke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It's not really an FU either. When you're burning gas like the way Russia is it means they have nothing else they can do with it. They have all the gas, they can't sell it, they can't store it, their stocks are full, and the only way to get rid of it is to burn it.

This is essentially millions (maybe billions) of rubles going up in smoke.
    Yeah, I'm aware of the reasons, and how it bites economically, can't say I'm sorry that t hurts russia economically.

I have to ask, does it hurt the environment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not as much as just releasing it out into the atmosphere without burning it would, but it's not exactly a positive either way.

yes, most of the emissions from burning natural gas are greenhouse gasses so those burn-off flames add considerable amounts to the atmosphere. Especially if its not being filtered like we do in modern gas powerplants.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

It is better to burn it than vent it straight to the atmosphere. Methane is like 30-80 times worse greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 2022-09-18 at 03:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, this war as a whole does a lot of environmental damage. This is just part of it.

Ukraine has captured a working t90m tank, Russia's most modern working tank. The t14 doesn't count as it is a parade tank that breaks down on parades.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1...dI0bfXsxCN12zQ

The few t90m's in use were in supposed elite Guards Tank units. This one had been abandoned without even an attempt to disable it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Ukraine has captured a working t90m tank, Russia's most modern working tank. The t14 doesn't count as it is a parade tank that breaks down on parades.

The few t90m's in use were in supposed elite Guards Tank units. This one had been abandoned without even an attempt to disable it.
    The 1st Guards Tank Army was allegedly destroyed in Kharkiv so it would check out that they did not have the chance to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

The Pentagon is going to have fun going over every inch of that thing and ID'ing all it's flaws.