Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    LOL, the vast majority of us that love Classic, could give 2 shits about the old world and leveling. It is still about Endgame to us and 1-60 means nothing, especially now that we have WOTLK. If they ever do introduce the LFD tool that is like it was in original WOTLK then we will care even less because we will do what we have all done and Dungeon Q to max level. I have not once leveled a character via questing since LFD was released and good riddance, I despise questing and leveling in general.
    And that is your point of view.

Another point of view, is that Catas leveling rework reinvigorated the experience of taking a new character and getting them to max level.

As a person who played the cata beta, and later the main game primarily to level new characters, i saw a huge influx of people finding new love for leveling by making it not so dull.

Just like people who played TBC Classic just to level some characters anew in Zangarmarsh, Blade's edge and Netherstorm, im quite sure you will find people ready to pay money to go through the cata revamp zones again in Cata Classic.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

The reason they offered Classic Vanilla to Wrath is that it's cheap to make and lots of people want to play it.

The reason they will probably release Cata Classic, is that it's cheap to make, even if they have to spend some more time to balance and change it a bit, and they are hoping that enough people will just keep playing, even though cata has such a bad reputation. Its worth the risk to try. If it fails, it's not a big loss and they can just release MoP Classic, which will be a success again. If it works, they get a bunch of money and Catas reputation is restored a bit. Win Win.

See you in 3 years or so, when we have to discuss the actual problem xpac :>
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    While i will defend the right for Classic Cata to be a thing, i would any day choose a "rewrite" of the story after Wrath any time over original Cata.

It could be really fun and make some of the characters lost in the revamp of Azeroth be able to get their redemption in the story.

But then again, if it is a rewrite by the current WoW story people, im not sure it will end up much better really.
    An alternative story to what happened after Wrath would be cool indeed but I agree with you, I would have no hope of it being good with the current crew in Blizzard.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

And that is your point of view.

Another point of view, is that Catas leveling rework reinvigorated the experience of taking a new character and getting them to max level.

As a person who played the cata beta, and later the main game primarily to level new characters, i saw a huge influx of people finding new love for leveling by making it not so dull.

Just like people who played TBC Classic just to level some characters anew in Zangarmarsh, Blade's edge and Netherstorm, im quite sure you will find people ready to pay money to go through the cata revamp zones again in Cata Classic.
    Outland is a completley different thing there is a clear path and questing hubs you know where to go to get the next level and one quest leads to the next zone, Vanilla content didn't have that as I find on my level 54 Warlock (only character I have actually leveled in Classic) I have no clue where to go to get my next level or quest and if I get to a zone there are quests spread all over the zone and most of your time is wasted doing nothing but running around. I have boosted my 2 characters which is just dumb that I have to have 2 accounts to have more than 1 character and now will play my DK which was actually tolerable to level with the boost It was not enough of a boost, but better than nothing. They could just open up boosts since they have 1 they could make a lot more money opening it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Yes, the old world was better than the new Cata version but who cares?
    Err... everyone related to Classic ?
    I mean, if people aren't interested in Cataclysm, they won't play it, and Blizzard interest in developping Cataclysm Classic is to have people paying to play it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Outland is a completley different thing there is a clear path and questing hubs you know where to go to get the next level and one quest leads to the next zone, Vanilla content didn't have that as I find on my level 54 Warlock (only character I have actually leveled in Classic) I have no clue where to go to get my next level or quest and if I get to a zone there are quests spread all over the zone and most of your time is wasted doing nothing but running around. I have boosted my 2 characters which is just dumb that I have to have 2 accounts to have more than 1 character and now will play my DK which was actually tolerable to level with the boost It was not enough of a boost, but better than nothing. They could just open up boosts since they have 1 they could make a lot more money opening it up.
    ...You do know, that the Cata rework did exactly to the old world as what you praised Outland for, right?

Every zone got connected to one or 2 zones, that moved your leveling forward. It connected the quest lines, so that you did not have to go around looking for quests out in the open. It made most zones have 1 big storyline and made it easy to know where to go.

Gone were the days, where you had to run from zone to zone to do your quests. Gone were the zones, which had a maximum of 10 quests in it and had little context to the larger world. We were given a much more interconnected world, that was updated to the current status and which made sense when you looked at the new story at hand.

So, if you hated Vanilla Classic leveling and boosted to avoid it, maybe Cata leveling could change your perspective. It did also make it much easier to just storm through the process, as you could draw a line straight through Kalimdor and be sure to be level 60 as you came to the end of it.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

...You do know, that the Cata rework did exactly to the old world as what you praised Outland for, right?

Every zone got connected to one or 2 zones, that moved your leveling forward. It connected the quest lines, so that you did not have to go around looking for quests out in the open. It made most zones have 1 big storyline and made it easy to know where to go.

Gone were the days, where you had to run from zone to zone to do your quests. Gone were the zones, which had a maximum of 10 quests in it and had little context to the larger world. We were given a much more interconnected world, that was updated to the current status and which made sense when you looked at the new story at hand.

So, if you hated Vanilla Classic leveling and boosted to avoid it, maybe Cata leveling could change your perspective. It did also make it much easier to just storm through the process, as you could draw a line straight through Kalimdor and be sure to be level 60 as you came to the end of it.
    I did not know that I had all classes I cared to play leveled before Cata hit via Heirlooms and LFD when WOTLK kept dragging out for like 6+ months after I had beaten the game, so I have not leveled anything in CATA zones nor have I done a quest in them. I may try that if CATA classic is a thing, but with 2 accounts Ill have every class at max level after this xpac so will not have any reason to level a character.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The original reason most ever asked for "classic/Vanilla" realms, was because we lost the old zones and, at least in the case of early Wrath and prior, less LFD/LFR implementation/ no LFR.

Unless they do something substantial, I really personally don't see the reason for Cata Classic, though I guess ultimately it can be a way for people to live/relive Cataclysm, if they so please, but let's be real, Cata was the start of the overall downfall.

I can't help but say I'd love a second chance to play MoP during the expansion, as there was a lot of fun during it, but I missed most of it.

How are you all hoping Blizzard treats Cata "in a classic way"?
    If anything was proven by the various polls and statistics made it was that the classic community was never actually purists "no changes" crowd. People wanted all sorts of different things. "We only want vanilla with no changes" and today the classic servers are basically dead and everyone is playing on the tbc progression servers.

If we have learned anything by all this it should be to stop trying to advocate for what everyone want and instead just argue for your own views - because this is not a hivemind.

7+ Year Old Account
    I did not know that I had all classes I cared to play leveled before Cata hit via Heirlooms and LFD when WOTLK kept dragging out for like 6+ months after I had beaten the game, so I have not leveled anything in CATA zones nor have I done a quest in them. I may try that if CATA classic is a thing, but with 2 accounts Ill have every class at max level after this xpac so will not have any reason to level a character.
    To be honest, i was in the same situation as you were when Cata was about to start. I had 6 max level characters and had really no need to have more max characters. And if you are in that situation again after Wrath, i can see that there is very little reason to level to end game, unless you wanted a goblin or Worgen ofcourse.

I can only say, that as they revamped the old world zones, they did also make it a new experience to level. It went fast, you got new abilities constantly and there seemed to be a focus on not wasting your time as much as in previous expansions.

But in the end, leveling is still leveling. That have not changed from Vanilla to current game, it is as it is.

The reason for Classic is that people wanna play older versions of WoW which dont exist anymore. Mostly because new versions of WoW suck.
    And since you cant just install Cata and play it you need either Blizzard or some private server team to set up a Cata server.

Yes, the old world was better than the new Cata version but who cares? Everybody has every class at 70 anyway. Whats important is the endgame content.

Also you would like a MoP Classic but Cata is a no-no? Pretty selfish and entitled.
    Lot of opinions in here, I personally think classic whatever is hot garbage. But you are mostly right its designed to be a sort of time capsule situation for people who never got to see the content when current or want to play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The original reason most ever asked for "classic/Vanilla" realms, was because we lost the old zones and, at least in the case of early Wrath and prior, less LFD/LFR implementation/ no LFR.

Unless they do something substantial, I really personally don't see the reason for Cata Classic, though I guess ultimately it can be a way for people to live/relive Cataclysm, if they so please, but let's be real, Cata was the start of the overall downfall.

I can't help but say I'd love a second chance to play MoP during the expansion, as there was a lot of fun during it, but I missed most of it.

How are you all hoping Blizzard treats Cata "in a classic way"?
    In response to the title, no it doesn't. Cataclysm classic doesn't exist yet and judging by the survey sent out there's 0 chance any of the major problems don't get filtered out. Classiclysm has the potential to undue all of the "problems" that people had with it.

In response to your post, TBC & WotLK both had features and systems that aided the "downfall". WotLK brought cross-realm functionalities. ICC and the attraction/obsession everyone had with killing Arthas is really what pushed the focus from the "journey" to the "end game". Once Arthas was defeated, the journey was over. Three expansion cycles leading up to the defeat of Arthas had finally ended, and it was a grand finale. Now that players had experienced that epic fight, most people wanted more of it. They were looking for grand fights every tier. Unfortunately, Blizzard tried to deliver a grand finale through Dragon Soul, but it just missed the mark. In theory, a boss taking two whole encounters to defeat sounds epic, but in practice it was kind of dull when compared to the Lich King's encounter.

I'm not even joking when I say this, but I would also bet real money that the god-awful shriek Deathwing lets out when you defeat the spine encounter played a rather large part in making Dragon Soul feel bad. It was so loud, and managing the audio before the fight was over so you didn't have to hear it was such a chore.

10+ Year Old Account
    if they do release cataclysm 'classic edition', i want them to release it without ANY changes at all, outside of major bug fixes and support for new hardware etc, things the game needs to actually run properly, outside of that i want to see if a complete raw version of the game can be played as i remember playing it, no nerfs to content until AFTER the next patch releases, and no major balance changes outside of the seemingly mandatory 'final patch game build' that blizz has been doing now since the start of this project, mainly because i think it would be interesting to see if the 'average skill level increase' is enough to overcome the major hurdles that were present during that expansion content.

It is interesting to read through all these different "CLASSIC" discussions. One of the themes in almost everyone from a few of the posters is that they want end game content. Would it be possible for Blizzard just to put on a version of the game that would have the ENDGAME only content, from 5 Man Dungeons to Raids where players could play with a character that was based for that time frame and just have at it.???

Seems like it would be fun to do an AROUND AZEROTH and BEYOND Dungeon, Raid world tour. Even if it was only a week/two week event.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    how could anyone say this unironicaly?i mean sure,an argument could be made for a few,but in most cases the changed ones were way better for multiple reasons,layout,design,graphics,story flow,quest structure

for example,how is old tanaris better than new one? or silverpine,hillsbrand,i have a ton of nostalgia for old hillsbrand,but i know for a fact the revamp changed it for the far better
    The short answer is that not everyone likes the handheld experience that the revamped zones have. The janky quests, lack of structure, long travel times, wild swings in difficulty, story elements that feel randomly placed, etc. are part of the appeal for those people. It gives the world texture and rewards a completely different way of approaching the game than "Follow quest marker". It makes you consider your resources, your travel times, etc.. It makes you think ahead. A lot of players really appreciate that and it makes them feel more engaged with the game world. It increases immersion for those players.

Not everyone puts a lot of stock in mega-high production value. To a lot of people that level of production value can actually feel sterile and disengaging.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

No, if people want to go full circle and out themselves as nostalgic morons just let them.

Outland smoothed the process out for sure, but Cata still swung MUCH further in the hand-holding direction than even Outland was.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Wrath was the start of the overall downfall. Wrath destroyed everything that made classic classic, it's recognizably retail WoW.

Cataclysm was just more of Wrath, with a brief attempt to return to slow paced dungeons at the start that they had to backtrack on.
    Broadly there are three eras in WoW:

• Pre-Ghostcrawler (Vanilla, TBC, WotLK)
    • Ghostcrawler (Cata, MoP, WoD)
    • Post-Ghostcrawler (Legion, BFA, SL)

Ghostcrawler's changes are what ruined WoW for most people. Ion taking over was primarily given the directive of undoing what GC did and making a modern version of the pre-GC era games. Some people think Ion's return to the old ways isn't puritan enough, and thus "classic" was born.

To that end, classic versions of GC era expansions are kinda... nonsense... because that's the stuff most players hated and we are trying to avoid.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

I have tons of nostalgia for Cataclysm but It would feel weird to play today. Nostalgia comes from that point of my life as well when I was still in high school. So for me it would almost feel like going back to high school and try to relive the not so distant past and would honestly just make me depressed.

15+ Year Old Account

Also you would like a MoP Classic but Cata is a no-no? Pretty selfish and entitled.
    Bit OTT lads only pointing out what he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    The reason they offered Classic Vanilla to Wrath is that it's cheap to make and lots of people want to play it.

The reason they will probably release Cata Classic, is that it's cheap to make, even if they have to spend some more time to balance and change it a bit, and they are hoping that enough people will just keep playing, even though cata has such a bad reputation. Its worth the risk to try. If it fails, it's not a big loss and they can just release MoP Classic, which will be a success again. If it works, they get a bunch of money and Catas reputation is restored a bit. Win Win.

See you in 3 years or so, when we have to discuss the actual problem xpac :>
    Blizzard could get off their lazy ass and ADD the remaining half of WoD that they cut. Now that'd be awesome (hell, it could even be the best expansion they ever released at that point). They have years, so what's their excuse going to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.