Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Their stock apparently dropped after the leak.
    Stock started dropping on Thursday and continued its downward slide on Friday. Leak didn't hit until Saturday at the earliest, best I can tell. Stock opened to losses first thing this morning but is already back up to higher than it's Friday pre-leak close.

That's not even a "cost" for Take-Two, but all the same it seemed to have no actual impact on their share price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Forced to temporarily halt all development or network usage until the issue is fully resolved (i.e. no one can work but everyone is still being paid). Forced to probably completely switch or thoroughly restructure network and probably file systems to prevent any additional intrusion. Significant legal feels attempting to identify and seek damages from the third party. It "includes" the leaked footage, which means there's probably plenty of other things that were compromised--private information, financial information, etc. that they now have to pay to ensure the security or transfer to an uncompromised position for. Security regulations like GDPR might issue actual fines (in tens of millions) for any data or privacy loss.

If any of the actual game's structure was leaked, portions of that might also need to be re-written to prevent ease of exploitation on release. Any company that has any sort of security breach sees a dip afterwords, reduced confidence from investors and other non-consumer associations (because companies are hesitant to work with a company that is a liability). Early, janky in-dev footage may turn off some potential buyers (lol @ iT's 25 dOLlArS) and otherwise generates negative press they now have to spend even more marketing budget on, as well as making marketing's job more difficult to begin with because they're no longer ahead of the curve.

So, a lot.
    Their security issues existed with or without the leak, though...thats an entirely separate issue that that would have reared its head regardless...and cost money to fix...regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    By the sounds of it, no actual hacking itself took place and instead the person got in through social Engineering. So probably more retraining workers for Phishing scams then network rework...maybe... And the game's Structure is being held hostage. Source code for both gta5 and 6 being held at ransom.
    One of the first things you learn in IT/network security is how to counter/mitigate social engineering. Social engineering falls under hacking.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I dont know, I think i prefered much more "stylized" graphics of 3/vc/sa over 4 or V, might be just me tho

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Well it depends. If the guy got all the stuff just from a slack account he doesn't have the entirety of the source code. But Rockstar says they "suffered a network intrusion". It's possible he got the entirety of the source code and that's a big deal.
    Rockstar wouldn't be releasing a public statement to their investors saying it didn't impact future projects if he actually had the full source code. Because that certainly would impact GTA6 and cause a very substantial delay to rework an entirely new native code for the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    I dont know, I think i prefered much more "stylized" graphics of 3/vc/sa over 4 or V, might be just me tho
    IV and V have a more stylized graphics style than the PS2 games. The PS2 games just looked like trash even for PS2 games because it was a sacrifice of the hardware to run an open world at the time. There was no special style going on. V especially even more so than IV has a very stylized and almost cartoonish aesthetic. The PS2 games was build an open world and then fit whatever graphics you could in it at the time, fucking characters didn't even have fingers and shit that's not stylized that's just terrible graphic fidelity which was a cost of the development time and hardware.

If we go back to the PS2 to find games with great art styles I don't think anyone would ever bring up the GTA games lol, at the time they where known for their gameplay not looking good or stylized or anything of the sort.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-09-20 at 05:10 AM.

Wow a female main character, only took them until the 6th game! There was a cheat code in San Andreas that changed CJ into a woman, I always had to activate it for my cousin when she wanted to play.

I hope we get some choice or character customisation, the characters I saw in the footage don't appeal. It's amazing how lazy Rockstar have been in that regard. Saints Row 2 was way ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I hope we get some choice or character customisation, the characters I saw in the footage don't appeal. It's amazing how lazy Rockstar have been in that regard. Saints Row 2 was way ahead.
    So you think it's "lazy" to have a design choice of you playing as a set character instead of some blank slate that doesn't need a back story? Cause it certainly isn't about "customization" since you can put them in all kinds of different outfits, change their hair styles etc.

If anything Saint's Row is the lazy way out. Generic character creator with no back story or design ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    So you think it's "lazy" to have a design choice of you playing as a set character instead of some blank slate that doesn't need a back story? Cause it certainly isn't about "customization" since you can put them in all kinds of different outfits, change their hair styles etc.

If anything Saint's Row is the lazy way out. Generic character creator with no back story or design ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
    I think it's lazy to not give options for character creation, yeah. Mass Effect does it just fine. There's a canon male and female Shepard, and then there's the one the player can make. No reason why Rockstar can't do it for GTA.

I think it's lazy to not give options for character creation, yeah. Mass Effect does it just fine. There's a canon male and female Shepard, and then there's the one the player can make. No reason why Rockstar can't do it for GTA.
    It's not lazy, it's a design choice. Mass Effect is an RPG, GTA/RDR isn't. Saints Row has done it since the very beginning and on top of that the Playa/Boss doesn't even have a name and that's their design choice. Some people connect more with a character they create themselves and some with a character that has an established look.

By your logic it would mean most devs are lazy. Is Square Enix lazy for making the protagonists of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts with a set design?

FromSoftware has a character creator in all the Dark Souls games, Demon Souls, Bloodborne and Elden Ring but not in Sekiro. Did they get lazy just for that game?

Is Naughty Dog lazy because they made Joel and Ellie and Nathan Drake look a certain way and didn't let you customise their looks?

I could go on and on.

Besides, GTAO has character customisation. And in the story mode you can change clothes and hairstyle/facial hair. Think that's pretty good. I really hope they do what they did in San Andreas though and allow you to go to the gym and make your characters buff or fat by eating a lot. That'd be cool.

Saints Row does it just fine and the fact they've always done it doesn't mean Rockstar can't. Being a heavily story driven game like Last of Us or Uncharted with a canon player character isn't mutually exclusive with character creation. Yeah it can be a design choice. But IMO with open world games like GTA whose main focus is driving around doing crazy shit it's just extra fun to be able to create your own character and would only add to the game, not take anything away.

10+ Year Old Account
    You've been able to customize your character since Vice City but if Rockstar wanted to give you a blank slate they would. It's actually easier to give players a blank slate. Not doing so is the opposite of being lazy.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The lazy option is actually giving you a blank slate character. It's a valid design choice for certain games but the fact you think its actually less work to fully design a set character and give them a full back story and place in the games story outside of just being "main character" is actually astounding and shows how little you understand about the work that gos into them.

Thinking the Saints Row generic character creator without a name or backstory is the option that requires more work than creating a character like Arthur Morgan... That certainly is a wild ass take.

10+ Year Old Account
    more like 2026.

- - - Updated - - -

that is how most real hacks work though, you hack a person to get in.

5+ Year Old Account
    I like GTA because of it's storytelling through a lens of exaggeration. The phrases "punch up" and "punch down" have appeared in this thread in regards to humor. GTA has never been constrained by who it is punching nor in what direction it is punching. Rockstar rejected the idea of punch one way or another. Rich or poor, white or black or anything in between, healthy or sick, employed or unemployed, religious or not, white collar or blue collar, conservative or liberal-- they did not care. Everyone was a target. Through it, they told great stories that pull the player into another world.

I care that they continue that formula. I care that they continue punching anything and everything in our world with no restraint. They should not be restrained by the angry left nor the angry right. If anything, they should be inspired to punch harder at both. Make fun of the LGBTQ+ movement... hard. Make fun of the Christian right... hard. Make fun of the idiots in between. Poke at the self-righteous atheists and agnostics. Anger the heavily unionized industries and piss off the social media companies. Do it all... on a scale of 1 to 10, do it at level 11.

If any contemporary social+political movement has overtaken Rockstar and has said "you may punch this but not that"... they will not get my money. I do not care who the protagonists are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Their stock apparently dropped after the leak.
    The fact that a leak happened is what drove the stock dive, not the content of the leak.

Thinking the Saints Row generic character creator without a name or backstory is the option that requires more work than creating a character like Arthur Morgan... That certainly is a wild ass take.
    Indeed.

I've played both and I can say that I've felt way more connected to the protagonists of GTA than my character in Saints Row. Did feel more connected to the side characters in Saints Row though, I guess that was the point.

The lazy option is actually giving you a blank slate character. It's a valid design choice for certain games but the fact you think its actually less work to fully design a set character and give them a full back story and place in the games story outside of just being "main character" is actually astounding and shows how little you understand about the work that gos into them.

Reading comprehension failure on your part. I never said it had to be solely a blank slate character. In fact I specifically referred to a game that has both a canon player character and customisation in the post that you quoted in your reply to me. Please read things properly in future, then I wouldn't have to explain why your reply was pointless.

It should also be noted that The Boss is not that much of a silent protagonist. They have a very specific personality, consistent between games. A lot less nuanced than anything from GTA, obviously, and their past is as vague as possible, to allow for that much customization, but still, they're not as blank of a canvas as the main character from Skyrim or Dark Souls.

I don't see why they shouldn't allow for as much customization as possible within certain parameters. The main characters seem to be a white man and a latino woman. Beyond their race and gender, their appearance shouldn't matter too much to their stories. The options don't have to be as wacky as the ones from Saints Row, but I think there's plenty of room for player input in there.

That said, they'll most likely limit customization to hairstyles and clothes, maybe tattoos, because their faces will be all over the promotional material and merchandise. So we can only hope that the quantity and variety of options make up for the lack of depth.

I started red dead redemption 2, I wonder if GTA 6 is going in similar pattern with lot of things interactive everywhere and detailed. That will be really immersive

I want to play gta 5 online on xbox, what game do I buy? it has gtao and gta5 as separate games, I'm kinda confused about which one I should buy, also will gta 5 and 6 share the same multiplayer world? is like other mmos where you retain your progress from previous versions or will be a completely new game with new online world?

I assume you are buying for the Xbox Series S/X? GTA Online is the online module for GTA V. I hadn't realized they started selling it separately but as far as I can tell you can buy the main game separately, GTA Online separately, or a bundle of both.

The GTA series isn't known for having online multiplayer, that's a new thing. Considering GTA VI hasn't had an official reveal we don't have any idea if it will even have online. If it does, I would not expect it to have any connection to GTA V.
    Last edited by xmirrors; 2022-09-21 at 04:17 PM.