Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Haven't watched the latest episode yet but from what i saw the show doesn't compare with Game of Thrones. I know it is based on the books same as the Game of Thrones but i remember the latter having something that kept me on the edge of my seat in every episode.Either an important figure dieing,or some plot twist. So far in House of the Dragon is pretty much talking and talking and talking. We had a bit of action where vyseris killed the crab king but nothing else. I hope this changes later as i havent read the books.

I enjoyed the episode but I disliked the development on the character Cole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    But I would agree he's not the brightest. He basically confided in Alicent having no idea what she would do with that information. He just got lucky or perhaps unlucky depending on how far she's willing to hang it over his head.
    This is when I started disliking the direction his character was going. Murdering someone at festivities solidified it. Fictional universe or not.. let's be real here no one likes the guy who ruins the party to boost his own ego. This whole episode for this character felt like him trying to redeem his "honor". He went from stalwart defender to violent basket case. This transition in such a short amount of time felt unrealistic to me.

I am unsure if this was written in the book.. so anyone could correct me. If it is not I feel like the only explanation to add this is to sway the audience off the Cole train. Which it worked for me in spades. He is suppose to be her defender, yet his actions have her getting carried off by someone else.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Uhm you mean after said woman used him, had him break his oaths and then asked him to be her whore basically?

Yeah that's totally not him being able to handle rejection at his proposal, nothing to do with Rhaenyra's actions.
    She is the Crown Princess, he was just naive, and him lashing out later just made people wonder why, n anyone who had suspicions, got them confirmed, he made the situation worse, now Velaryon hates him, n Daemon too..

This Cole escalates situations...like when he lost to Daemon, instead of accepting defeat after it was over he went up n struck Daemon in the back when Daemon was facing the other way...something Daemon never would have done in real war/combat. The gentleman thing would have been accepting defeat n not go opportunistic...

You say Rhaenyra made him loose his honor, I say he never had any to begin with. This episode proves he can't control his emotions, he even admitted guilt to the queen before even an accusation was made against him, which wasn't going to happen anyways since he wasn't the suspect but he just spilled the beans at the slightest pressure... he is like a dumbass boy playing at being an adult..

So when the two most powerful houses in the realm, the Targaryens n the Velaryons are about to become one, Cole makes sure he has enemies in both of them, that is so mind-boggingly stupid...

"Look around you. We’re all liars here. And every one of us is better than you."

Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhelyo View Post
    Haven't watched the latest episode yet but from what i saw the show doesn't compare with Game of Thrones. I know it is based on the books same as the Game of Thrones but i remember the latter having something that kept me on the edge of my seat in every episode.Either an important figure dieing,or some plot twist. So far in House of the Dragon is pretty much talking and talking and talking. We had a bit of action where vyseris killed the crab king but nothing else. I hope this changes later as i havent read the books.
    Ur right, previous show was way better, this show has no exciting characters, n the old books were re-written countless times to create the awesome characters, dialogues etc this show hasn't the same love, but its good enough..

I feel it would have been better to go full netflix style n release whole season at once, since these episodes aren't as good as the old ones which gave u more to have ur fill..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-09-20 at 07:43 AM.

Just watched 4 episodes yet, but I am pleasantly surprised by how good it is. Sure, it's not up there with GoT season 2-6, but it's slowly building and I like it. I like the political intrigue and the - as of now - subtle use of the dragons. I haven't read the book or know anything about the background lore, but I've yet to find a character I thoroughly like (besides Cole, who mesmerizes me with his beauty lol). I thought Rhaenyra would be that, but after episode 4 I have my doubts and see her in a different light. Whereas Daenerys was build up to be likeable, my perception of Rhaenyra changed completely after that episode.

I like Alicent though. All the others seem to be just full of themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Ur right, previous show was way better, this show has no exciting characters, n the old books were re-written countless times to create the awesome characters, dialogues etc this show hasn't the same love, but its good enough..

I feel it would have been better to go full netflix style n release whole season at once, since these episodes aren't as good as the old ones which gave u more to have ur fill..
    Give it a little bit of time. Game of Thrones in the first season and especially in the first episodes was a slow burn as well before you got used to all the characters etc. You cannot compare this to the later Game of Thrones stuff, it just doesn't work yet. You can try to do that after season 1 or season 2, when the show had a little time to grow.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

People who thought it would be GoT 2 will be disappointed no matter what. IDK why you'd think it would be. It's the same universe, yes, but that's it. It's its own thing, with different directors and should not be a copy of GoT. Deal with it.

I'm personally loving the show. But that's because I didn't set any expectations and treat it like a new thing set in the world I love.

You're free to be miserable ofc.

2 weeks in a row now we've had great episodes, hope it doesn't lose it's momentum.

It's not easy to write an episode with a wedding in it in this universe, the expectation is huge.

Fingers crossed the actors coming into replace the younger versions keep up the great job in acting.

It's a bit of both. She put him in a situation where he had to choose between breaking his vows or disobeying the daughter of the king and heir to the throne, so it was a lose/lose situation as far as that goes. He chose to break his vows, but it's obvious he hates himself for it and a part of him is resentful towards her for putting him in that situation in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Guy wanted her to run away with him after a late-night booty call. And when she rejected that idea, as most rational people would, he murders a dude at her arranged wedding then tries to kill himself.

But yeah, a young Princess wanting to have sex freely is the issue. Poor guy
    As much as Cole is an unstable idiot, Rhaenyra is kind of messed up as well. Given the fact that she knows that a Kingsguard caught having sex with princess would be tortured to death, she not only fucks him on a whim, she suggests they keep going for the forseeable future like it's not an issue. We don't see her consider the danger she's putting Cole in even once.

Basically everyone is an asshole, Rhaenyra being a selfish child, Cole handling rejections with murderous rage, and Daemon just having fun creating as much chaos as possible. Most dysfunctional love triangle ever.

Rhaenerys have a power advantage in the Criston relationship. If roles were reversed I don't think it would excused as easily. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong per se, but considering we know relationships with power differences is a bad idea, at least when roles are reversed, it feels apt to use the same thinking here.

She was irresponsible, i don't think she is directly at fault. But she pressured him when he refused and he's in no position to stand his ground on the refusal. She's the princess after all.

No one is rarely innocent in this world so... It's expected.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

He’s acting like this is some romantic novel, wanting her to run away with him cause they slept together. He’s blaming an 18 year old girl for making an immature and irresponsible choice. Dude is toxic and resentful af… and we’ll see that more as the series continues.
    Given a 18 year old girl was allowed to pick her own bodyguard, and specifically picked the one whos handsome and killed most people, I'd say she got her money's worth with Cristen.

They are both toxic in their unique ways, dude being clingy and Rhaenyra being selfish. And yeah, I'd find it easier to excuse Cole, who after sex with the princess is now both dishonored and, if found out, freaking dead, than Rhaenyra , who was groomed into being queen for so long she should know better than to drag an oathsword into her bed. So far her "free spirit" removed all of her potential allies aside of a creepy wifekilling uncle, nice going.

Woah, Woah… you’re saying a sexually frustrated 18 year old acted like most sexually frustrated 18 year olds would!?
    I'm saying sexual frustration of a 18 year old (that due to being taught to be the future queen) isn't really an excuse for much. Said frustration consummated with Daemon could lead to a major rift within the realm (and kinda did, since it resulted in a falling out between the Hightowers and the Crown), and in the case of Cole lead to her sworn knight dishonoring himself and living with a danger of, might I remind you, being publicly gelded and executed.

Which is great for the story, of course, her actions are understandable and we can sympathize with her, but at the same time they cause a lot of problems. That's what makes Rhaenyra an interesting character, someone whos flaw is her selfishness and inability to really sympathize with anyone, which was brought up in pretty much every episode.

All I'm saying, if she kept it in her pants (or rather the female equivalent of that) a lot of death and misery could have been avoided.

5+ Year Old Account
    Woah, Woah… you’re saying a sexually frustrated 18 year old acted like most sexually frustrated 18 year olds would!?
    I agree, can't blame her, there is no way Cole didn't fantasize about it beforehand (he is a guy after all), also there is the fact that every eligible un-married male noble showed up for her hand, from old men to that angry boy who killed some guy in a duel, think it was last episode? Fucking the princess has been on the mind of half the kingdom...

Also, isn't he aware of his vows?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    I'm saying sexual frustration of a 18 year old (that due to being taught to be the future queen) isn't really an excuse for much. Said frustration consummated with Daemon could lead to a major rift within the realm (and kinda did, since it resulted in a falling out between the Hightowers and the Crown), and in the case of Cole lead to her sworn knight dishonoring himself and living with a danger of, might I remind you, being publicly gelded and executed.

Which is great for the story, of course, her actions are understandable and we can sympathize with her, but at the same time they cause a lot of problems. That's what makes Rhaenyra an interesting character, someone whos flaw is her selfishness and inability to really sympathize with anyone, which was brought up in pretty much every episode.

All I'm saying, if she kept it in her pants (or rather the female equivalent of that) a lot of death and misery could have been avoided.
    She is a young woman, not an old nun. And like she said to Viserys, if she was male, she would have had a dozen bastards by now n nobody would have cared.

That whole situation is a train wreck.

Looking at it with mine own moral compass she clearly raped him. The power difference gives him no choice to say no. The fact he fancies her too doesn't change him not having a real choice. She should have known better, ser Criston is her bodyguard since she was 12 (8 in the book) and surely the whole celibacy thing under threat of gelding and death the King's Guard has going on should not have escaped her.

But... that night Daemon riled her up and left her with blue balls, she comes home and sees a familiar man, totally understandable for her in that moment wanting to have sex with him. A young woman discovering sexuality, understandable, doesn't make it any less wrong at this time and place in Westeros.

Later, look at it through Coles eyes: if it ever comes out his life is forfeit. Rhaenyra doesn't seem to care much, the very next day she calls him "come" with doors open and who knows who outside. He must live with constant fear day after day of being discovered and killed. Running away with her to live nameless in Essos would free him from that. Illusional sure, but worth a try.

It's all rather tragic, isn't it. Also Alicent... if today she discovered her friend having sex for the first time she would make a nice cuppa tea and ask her "tell me all about it, how was it?". As queen in Westeros not so much.

I for one love House of the Dragon (and Game of Thrones) for these stories. When you can see the motivations of everyone involved, and see their point of view. Very few characters are really good or evil, many do some fucked up shit but you can understand some of it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Looking at it with mine own moral compass she clearly raped him.
    Lol?

The power difference gives him no choice to say no.
    Exactly how? She would never dare bring it up with anyone, she can't have him fired, his job is for life. If he had said no, she would have gotten sad, and that would have been the end of it...

I enjoyed the episode but I disliked the development on the character Cole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    But I would agree he's not the brightest. He basically confided in Alicent having no idea what she would do with that information. He just got lucky or perhaps unlucky depending on how far she's willing to hang it over his head.
    This is when I started disliking the direction his character was going. Murdering someone at festivities solidified it. Fictional universe or not.. let's be real here no one likes the guy who ruins the party to boost his own ego. This whole episode for this character felt like him trying to redeem his "honor". He went from stalwart defender to violent basket case. This transition in such a short amount of time felt unrealistic to me.

I am unsure if this was written in the book.. so anyone could correct me. If it is not I feel like the only explanation to add this is to sway the audience off the Cole train. Which it worked for me in spades. He is suppose to be her defender, yet his actions have her getting carried off by someone else.

The tracking for HOTD is incredible, as to be expected. GOT was a juggernaut in every demo.

However, damn. These increases are impressive:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/hou...ng-1235377997/

Oh please. If the genders were reversed you'd be on about how the big scummy nobleman is exploiting the power imbalance to take advantage of a poor, innocent girl and then dump her.

But since it's a girl all accountability is off the table, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

And like she said to Viserys, if she was male, she would have had a dozen bastards by now n nobody would have cared.
    Sure, and that's an actual complaint to have. It's not relevant to the topic of her taking advantage of Cole, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Oh please. If the genders were reversed you'd be on about how the big scummy nobleman is exploiting the power imbalance to take advantage of a poor, innocent girl and then dump her.

But since it's a girl all accountability is off the table, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, and that's an actual complaint to have. It's not relevant to the topic of her taking advantage of Cole, though.
    This is a forum where a not-insignificant portion of the viewers defended Ramsay Bolton raping Sansa because "they're married, she has to submit to him."

So, it wouldn't exactly be a new phenomenom.

I agree, can't blame her, there is no way Cole didn't fantasize about it beforehand (he is a guy after all), also there is the fact that every eligible un-married male noble showed up for her hand, from old men to that angry boy who killed some guy in a duel, think it was last episode? Fucking the princess has been on the mind of half the kingdom...
    They don't give a shit about "fucking the princess". What they want is to have their houses elevated by marrying into the Royal Line. Rhaenyra could have fucking greyscale and every single house would still be sending their sons to marry her.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Given a 18 year old girl was allowed to pick her own bodyguard, and specifically picked the one whos handsome and killed most people, I'd say she got her money's worth with Cristen.

They are both toxic in their unique ways, dude being clingy and Rhaenyra being selfish. And yeah, I'd find it easier to excuse Cole, who after sex with the princess is now both dishonored and, if found out, freaking dead, than Rhaenyra , who was groomed into being queen for so long she should know better than to drag an oathsword into her bed. So far her "free spirit" removed all of her potential allies aside of a creepy wifekilling uncle, nice going.
    I mean, both of them should have known better. She shouldn't have gone after him and he should not have let himself be seduced. Of the two, I think his sin is worse though...because, while what she did was reckless and irresponsible, he violated his oath sworn to the Seven.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    This is a forum where a not-insignificant portion of the viewers defended Ramsay Bolton raping Sansa because "they're married, she has to submit to him."

So, it wouldn't exactly be a new phenomenom.
    citation needed