Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumalharha View Post
    Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
    Yea that's why I replayed cataclysm 100x on private servers because nostalgia is a drug. wake up monkey.

Dragon Soul sucked ass and lasted forever.

Cataclysm had a good start, fun heroics and good raids and zones.

Dragon Soul really was that bad though. Bad tuning, reused assets everywhere, almost no new art, multiple poor encounter designs, both Deathwing fights were bad, terrible plot and voice acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dioporco View Post
    --- snip ---
    Even the precog is wrong here lol, i quit before Firelands hit.
    It was simply shit compared to what came before, the pvp sucked ass, classes played like shit, the zones were disjointed and meme-y and the world was inconsistent and perpetually locked in some moronic half-assed executed disaster.

I might give this piece of piss a proper read, but for now i will not give it more attention than it deserves.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2022-09-21 at 11:52 AM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Cataclysm better than anything that came after it. I had a lot of fun with my hunter during Cat.

Imagine being this low to religiously defend the 2nd weakest expansion of all time.

Yes I have played through all of Cata and yes I had my fun moments in it, but I am not looking forward to doing it again, considering that especially since Cata the game's been more or less the same anyways. They should invest more into Chromie Time and Timewalking on retail to bring back Cata than give us Classic or whatever and leave Classic to those people who are actually playing it and not the 10 people or so that thought Cata was so amazing that they should release it again.

Cata is in my opinion in the league of WoD and SL pre 9.2. It's very exciting and fund the first month just because it's fresh and all that, but then it just abruptly becomes boring and everyone quits. What makes the other expansions better is that people stick longer as the content is enjoyable beyond that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Even the precog is wrong here lol, i quit before Firelands hit.
    It was simply shit compared to what came before, the pvp sucked ass, classes played like shit, the zones were disjointed and meme-y and the world was inconsistent and perpetually locked in some moronic half-assed executed disaster.

I might give this piece of piss a proper read, but for now i will not give it more attention than it deserves.
    Yeah I hate when people keep saying that Cata was so good and only 4.3 was shit. It was a bad to average expansion all throughout and the vast majority of the drama and bleeding of subs happened BEFORE 4.3 even launched, but some people just like to pretend that wasn't the case, because X streamer says otherwise.

And actually 4.3 as a single patch was actually quite decent and well received early on, considering this patch offered WAY MORE content than 4.1 and 4.2 combined, such as: Dragon Soul which was bigger than the tiny FL, 3 new great dungeons, the modern Darkmoon Faire, transmog(!!) etc etc. I very well remember people being happy about it and saying on this forum how glad they were that they have finally released a "normal" patch.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't more "difficult" than wrath. I just said it's difficulty is way overblown. The hardest part about cata is it came after wrath which was puggable through out and friendly to more casual players. Cata is CC heavy and once you get into the CC mindset of controlling mobs both before and during pulls, there is nothing extrodinarily difficult about the game. It rewards preparation. Cata dungeons are still some of my favorite in the game because of their design and mob locations.

Honestly, if you've played the average genesis game, you've played a game harder than WoW has ever been. Get through the 1st stage of Altered Beast? Congrats, if you can find 20+ other similar and dedicated people, you can be a world first raider.
    WoWs difficulty has always been tied to getting through encounters without one of the 5 to 40 of the other people in the encounter making a mistake.
    Oh yeah,but you have to look at it in the context of the time,for the time cata was hard for the averege wow player in the context of wow itself,not other games,specialy singleplayer,one of the hardest figths i did was kil jaeden legion pre most nerfs,by the time everyone in the raid finnaly stoped taking turns learning not to mess something up,i was basicaly on auto pilot,that sais something about the frustration of a group based game

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I think a lot of people misconstrue the entire expansion being bad with just the first couple of months of the expansion + all of Dragon Soul being bad.
    Well tbf Dragon Soul lasted for 46% of Cataclysm's total lifetime. So if people disliked DS they would already disliked almost half the expansion's existence. That's pretty difficult to ignore.

It was a very polarizing expansion for me, since I loved certain things about it and hated other things. Transmog was one of the best additions ever to the game, despite my mixed feelings on some of the crap people choose to wear. On the other hand I despised the changes to the old world, even if I acknowledge that the majority of it was an improvement. It was just the principle of the matter, content should never just disappear. And like many said at the time, the effort put into redoing the old world would have been better spent on other things, since by then most people were max level and new players were barely a trickle. Not to mention how immersion ruining it was for a new player to go from post WotLK at the start to suddenly doing TBC and WotLK content with no explanation. It was just a dumb decision and poorly executed, despite the flow undeniably improving in most zones.

Then on the PvP side of things, I personally found it to be one of the more fun expansions balance wise for DPS, and Tol Barad was a fun blend of PvE and PvP, but I remember queues being broken for a big chunk of the expansion. It was also the start of when healers became too strong, something I still resent to this day. Tanks were also broken for a period of time, which was even more obnoxious than healers.

And of course the final patch, I have never been a raider so Dragon Soul sucking had no impact on me, but the patch lasted way too long regardless. The fact that that terrible wait was followed up by MoP, which I consider to be a garbage expansion and my least favorite time in WoW, makes the delay seem even worse.

With your post history and status on mmoc, I hope you will not take as an insult if I dont care about your trolling opinion, right?

horrible dungeons = got fucked by 5 man hc and stop play. <--- this is the red flag for any fake "i play cata and was bad" just if anybody was curious about the kind of imposter i was referring in the starting point.
    I loved the hard HCs of cata, I loved some parts of the raiding, and some of the PvP, but there are a lot more things I dislike about cata than there are about wrath. The old world being gone and any mystery of those zones erased, the old talent trees being butchered (you had to pick the final point to take any points in "off" trees) and a ton of mechanics that don't feel natural (like Vengeance) that remove the charm of the game. Transmog being a huge one that removes the charm.

I played cata a ton, and I don't want classic to progress to it.

I stuck around for Cata more than any other expansion. But it was mostly because I played on a small server, on the underdog side (Horde/Alliance ratio was 3:1), and I played PvP competitively as a Rogue (hit my highest rating ever this expansion too). I'm pretty sure most of the server who did any endgame knew who I was. Used to get told people in TB on horde side would complain about me. Good times. Hit my highest rating and it was the most social I ever was in the game besides Vanilla. Then they "merged" all the servers together and it took that sense of community out the window. It was definitely some of the most fun I've had in the game though.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    Oh yeah,but you have to look at it in the context of the time,for the time cata was hard for the averege wow player in the context of wow itself,not other games,specialy singleplayer,one of the hardest figths i did was kil jaeden legion pre most nerfs,by the time everyone in the raid finnaly stoped taking turns learning not to mess something up,i was basicaly on auto pilot,that sais something about the frustration of a group based game
    MoV killed my casual guild in Legion. It was my second favorite fight in the expansion (trilliax is goated, a simple fight but his yelling throughout the fight just tickles me), still one of my favorite all time. It's interesting, but one person steps a toe foul and it's a wipe.

When a good chunk of the fresh players to the game who joined in wrath only knew Wrath's go fast and smash dungeon strats, cata was a wakeup call in that it's not how the game was for its first 4 years. I also think Cata is what soured people on lfd because lfd was all about smashing through wrath with no resistance. If a harder dungeons popped in queue most people just left in Wrath. Cata just amplified the problem.

<snip>
    I don't remember it being bad. I really enjoyed the zones, especially since i had finished reading the novels and seeing Mt Hyjal with all the wild gods coming back, and seeing Dragonmaw and demon chain. While the zones were scatterbrained, the content was great.

My fondest memory is walking into those heroics in dungeon gear and getting our asses beat. Was quite a big difficulty jump from LK heroics to Cata Heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    MoV killed my casual guild in Legion. It was my second favorite fight in the expansion (trilliax is goated, a simple fight but his yelling throughout the fight just tickles me), still one of my favorite all time. It's interesting, but one person steps a toe foul and it's a wipe.

When a good chunk of the fresh players to the game who joined in wrath only knew Wrath's go fast and smash dungeon strats, cata was a wakeup call in that it's not how the game was for its first 4 years. I also think Cata is what soured people on lfd because lfd was all about smashing through wrath with no resistance. If a harder dungeons popped in queue most people just left in Wrath. Cata just amplified the problem.
    oh yeah i have some serious maiden flashbacks,its always amazing to me how people can consistantly fail at what are pretty simple mecanics but do better in objectivly more difficult ones,soccer boss in bfa is another example,we once had a guy waiting for the ball on the other end lol,but it was the kind of boss where everyone failed atleast once,some more than others

i mean this is a guild that beat helya top 100-200 i honestly forget as i didnt really care,but had those same people fail at moving...a ball....over....and over

Reforging : which had the PRO to give items a longer life due to the fact you could re-use an item by relocating different stats making them bis-ish but on the CONS side made people becoming ultra greedy and Reforging was just relocating stats nothing mind blowing, wow you Reforged Crit into Mastery? Fucking MIT material there.
    *spits drink*

I'd argue with the OP but he's not around to defend his post anymore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I don't remember it being bad. I really enjoyed the zones, especially since i had finished reading the novels and seeing Mt Hyjal with all the wild gods coming back, and seeing Dragonmaw and demon chain. While the zones were scatterbrained, the content was great.
    I'll always remember Malfurion making his grand return... as a side-of-the-road quest NPC.

My fondest memory is walking into those heroics in dungeon gear and getting our asses beat. Was quite a big difficulty jump from LK heroics to Cata Heroics.
    It was, but for the wrong reasons. Priest healers running OOM even if you did mechanics was not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    OP clearly didn't play Cataclysm. there was alot more to it then what you described lol.
    Vasj'Ir was a terrible zone, horrible dungeons, barely any content just to name a few.

Also world revamp did more bad then good. They did improve the questing.
    All of what you said is subjective.

I personally thought Vashj'ir was a fantastic zone, one of the most innovative, and objectively the most unique ever made in the game, im yet to hear reasons that stand up to scrutiny as to why it was bad other than it was confusing which is simply a UI problem.

The dungeons IMO were very fun, difficult and many of them had awesome themes (especially the Uldum ones)

Barely any content - Pretty sure it released with more raid content than any other tier, 3 unique raids, 13 bosses. Firelands was a brilliant raid and innovative, dropping a ton of unique items such as Majordomo's feral staff, 2 brilliant firehawk mounts etc.

Dragon soul was complete garbage though.

Questing was good.

Like it was content light due to it being the first expansion when the team got cut majorly, but it is full of great content.

Im def looking forward to Cata if they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo94 View Post
    I personally thought Vashj'ir was a fantastic zone, one of the most innovative, and objectively the most unique ever made in the game, im yet to hear reasons that stand up to scrutiny as to why it was bad other than it was confusing which is simply a UI problem.
    People hated it from day 1, because of the poor combat due to the 3d space and swimming. And the quest design was also terrible with little innovation and little use of its unique space. It is absolutely one of the best looking and most unique zones they ever made, but they went full on lazy with the actual content over there. Hyal is miles better, it's not even a comparison.

All in all I did enjoy Cata.

My complaints largely come down to:

A. Story issues. Such as how they wasted Bennedictus' turn to evil, Deathwing largely just being a big bruttish dragon rather than particularly clever, some of the revamped zone stories etc.

B. They bit off more than they could chew with the zone revamps, and some zone stories suffer for this. Such as Sentinel Hill just being left on fire even after you 'kill' Vanessa, etc.

C. Introducing a place as cool as Gilneas only to leave it an empty husk. Honestly the goblin starting island getting destroyed too. Such a waste.

The actual content I enjoyed. Firelands was kind of samey after a bit and the final Death Wing fight wasn't all I hoped it'd be, but all in all I did enjoy the raids and dungeons.

I enjoyed Tol Barad. I liked most of the new zones. It wasn't one of my favorite expansions all in all, but it also wasn't that bad all in all IMO.

It also gave us transmog.
    Last edited by Florena; 2022-09-20 at 09:53 PM.

I will skip rest of this post as it contains 90% of subjective things i partially agree but most of them i do not agree.
    Will focus only on this part:

Precog : You didnt play Cataclysm, you played the late stage of Cata hence your brain cant separate early Cata from late stage Cata-MoP Pre-Patch, you are just mixing the timelines.
    I did and i remember all parts of this xpack 'evolution' very good as WotLK-Cata was the time in my life i played this game most hardcorish way and became casual exactly because the game started being absolute dogshit.
    Absolutely hate when some random person thinks that he knows better what i feel about X thing and then present his subjective thoughts to convince me i am wrong.

BTW: explain me why there are hundreds (thousands?) of private servers focusing on Vanilla-TBC-WotLK and i can find only a few Cata ones?
    Last edited by Mendzia; 2022-09-20 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo94 View Post
    Questing was good.
    If there is anything that was actually AWFUL about Cata, it was in fact the questing.

The questing has never before and after been this linear and mindless. Unfortunately this was also when they revamped the old world, so we are now stuck with this design where basically every old zone is fully linear, even in cases where it doesn't make sense.

Also they went full on with easter eggs and pop culture references in cata. Several zones were thus completely ruined because of it and lost all of their magic. A good example is how Redridge Mountain is basically from the 2nd half onwards an entire reference to some movie.

So yeah, questing has never been this bad as it was in Cata. MoP and WoD had improved on that a lot and made it less linear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    BTW: explain me why there are hundreds (thousands?) of private servers focusing on Vanilla-TBC-WotLK and i can find a few Cata ones?
    Yeah private servers are a great indicator on the popularity of expacs. For example there aren't many TBC servers either, but there are a ton of Vanilla and Wotlk servers out there. I actually remember when the private server scene went into making Cata servers happens. Despite being a big challenge coding wise, initially, many servers would try their best to get them working. However as soon as everyone else realised that Cata wasn't really good (by the time 4.2 hit on retail), almost all of the Cata private server development had stopped and moved back to Wrath (besides wrath and cata, the best supported versions are legion and mop... what a surprise).

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Dude Vasj'ir back then was massively ignored by the majority of the playerbase. Stop trying to make sound it like your opinion is what the majority felt like.
    Blizzard even stated that Vasj'ir is not how underwater zones should had been handled. Hell look at BFA Nazjatar as evidence.
    Naj is NOT an underwater zone. It is a zone surrounded by water. They are not even remotely similar. If you try to say they are. You are wrong.