Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    its a passive, demoralized, atomized society

very few will
    russians are the perfect slave nation on this planet
    nah students and friends of mine from when i taught english there have left. Anyone vaguely skilled who doesn't want to get drafted will get out.

You know what I think when I hear someone say "I'm not bluffing"? My immediate thought is "I didn't ask if you were. Why would you think I would think that?"

Yup. If you don't want someone to know you're bluffing, saying "I'm not bluffing" is pretty much the last thing you should be doing. This feels desperate to me, and I can't see how it can make the slightest bit of difference. So he could throw a bunch of untrained reserves into the fight, with equipment that Russia probably doesn't have. What difference would that make?

And the referendums will just be ignored by the entire world. And his threat of using nukes remains a threat he dare not use, because regardless of whether he says these are now Russian territory, the response from the West would be the same.

This feels like endgame for me, with the reign of Putin on its dying breath.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    wonder how many russians will flee. russian stock market nose diving.
    Not many. The ones who might (well off people from Moscow and St. Petersburg) will be conviniently exempt from the mobilization.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Not many. The ones who might (well off people from Moscow and St. Petersburg) will be conviniently exempt from the mobilization.
    Yet can they afford to risk that exception being lifted?

God bless Vladimir Putin. I love you man, I hope you keep living and ruling for 30 more years.

If you do, there will be no Russia left indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yet can they afford to risk that exception being lifted?
    Maybe. The one thing keeping the people in check is that war isn't felt at home (in those well off areas that is).
    RuZZia has always prioritized using their poor and ethnic minorities as their cannon fodder.

Sending their very best.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 2022-09-21 at 09:06 AM.

This "mobilization" isn't going to work. Mobilization requires infrastructure which was considered obsolete even during the late years of USSR and was later dismantled. No one actually keeps track of those who passed their military service. And even if those 300000 conscripts are miraculously found, there is no one to even pretend to train them, because everyone who can is in Ukraine. All this will mean is that those masses of conscripts are going to sit in military camps around Moscow (since that's where all the
    remaining infrastructure is focused on) and think about life. The last time a mass of disillusioned conscripts found itself around the capital with nothing to do, the capital was on Neva river, and Lenin found himself an army.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Sending their very best.
    He'll make a good war criminal. He actually is perfect for the ruZZki military.

RuZZia has always prioritized using their poor and ethnic minorities as their cannon fodder.
    Let's not throw that particular brick around, too many glass houses.

In what should surprise no one, the partial part of the 'partial mobilisation' isn't really. Its just weasel worse designed to lull the ill-informed into a false sense of security. It covers anyone with previous military training. In a country with compulsory military training. The number of eligible men stands in the many millions. Already they are being denied permission to move around or buy plane tickets. A mobilisation centre has already been established in St. Petersburg. So not even the fortunate sons are going to get out of this.

Oh, and the current contract soldiers who have been fighting for 6 months already? Congratulations comrade, you win free contract extension until 'partial mobilisation' is done. ie until the war ends.

What's that comrade? Refuse to fight? To jail with you and then Wagner gets you. Refuse to serve? Jail and Wagner. Attempt to surrender or retreat? Jail and Wagner.

Russian anti-war activists are organising protests already, but the penalty for that is jail and Wagner.

He'll make a good war criminal. He actually is perfect for the ruZZki military.
    He can survive without supply lines for months!

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    It might be more in our interest to change in than in theirs. Russians are used to this bullshit, Europe could do without regular mongolian attacks on its borders in 21 century.
    Please. Your comparison is demeaning the real mongolian hordes, who would have succeded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Well, doesn't just holding Crimea require them to truck in thousands of gallons of potable water a day cause Ukraine blew up the canal when Russia stole that region.
    They have reopened the canal. The block was their priority target on Day 1.

Rumors (no source other than twitter posts and messaging apps) that russian airlines have stopped selling tickets to men aged 18 to 65 unless they can provide evidence of approval to travel from the russian DoD.
    Sounds a bit sketchy yet entirely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    China seems pretty keen on "supporting Russia in word only." As in, they'll say and do anything to help Russia... that doesn't actually help them fight, because they value their monetary connections to western countries far more than they care about Russian megalomania.

But China saying "Yeah sure, Russia owns Crimea, why not" is basically no skin off their bones, so I wouldn't be too sure about that.
    China is very very keen on the principle that you cannot just grab parts of countries. Especially not through that part deciding not to be a part of the mother country anymore. Their entire policy towards Taiwan hinges on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    Rumors (no source other than twitter posts and messaging apps) that russian airlines have stopped selling tickets to men aged 18 to 65 unless they can provide evidence of approval to travel from the russian DoD.
    And bitch ass Finland is still debating whether or not to deny visas for russians.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    You know what I think when I hear someone say "I'm not bluffing"? My immediate thought is "I didn't ask if you were. Why would you think I would think that?"

Yup. If you don't want someone to know you're bluffing, saying "I'm not bluffing" is pretty much the last thing you should be doing. This feels desperate to me, and I can't see how it can make the slightest bit of difference. So he could throw a bunch of untrained reserves into the fight, with equipment that Russia probably doesn't have. What difference would that make?

And the referendums will just be ignored by the entire world. And his threat of using nukes remains a threat he dare not use, because regardless of whether he says these are now Russian territory, the response from the West would be the same.

This feels like endgame for me, with the reign of Putin on its dying breath.
    And the thing is, either way, bluffing or not, it's just more evidence that it's imperative he lose.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    Entirely plausible. With Russia now having started mobilizing in a wider sense it would make sense they want to stop people of fighting age from leaving the country.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    nah students and friends of mine from when i taught english there have left. Anyone vaguely skilled who doesn't want to get drafted will get out.
    in the American revolution in the 1700s, most colonists were against the war. the Continental army led by George Washington was comprised of hired guns, ex-cons, homeless and children. anyone with a skill didnt join. and when the revolution won, scores of colonists fled for the UK, Canada, etc thinking the new nation would fail.

so what you are describing, happens a lot. skilled people dont fight. but it means nothing in terms of outcome.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    in the American revolution in the 1700s, most colonists were against the war. the Continental army led by George Washington was comprised of hired guns, ex-cons, homeless and children. anyone with a skill didnt join. and when the revolution won, scores of colonists fled for the UK, Canada, etc thinking the new nation would fail.

so what you are describing, happens a lot. skilled people dont fight. but it means nothing in terms of outcome.
    And the outcome is not gonna favour Russia. Despite of what you think. Nothing points to Russia having any hope of winning, sham referendums are just that, not legal (especially when they do not control the regions fully, they just want to mark them as russian so they'll cry "Ukraine is invading Russia!!" excuse).