Poll: What was the worst raid tier?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    How is it not? The back of Deathwing very much was a new area. And the Maelstrom was only accessible for a moment when you jump down to Deepholme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    I meant the back and the Maelstrom.
    Maybe I am actually wrong here, but wasn't the Maelstrom were the fight took place the first time that location was used? If not, I'm sorry and concede this argument.
    The back of deathwing was debattably a "new area" since we were already familiar with his model for a long time.
    And as you said, the Maelstorm was also not a new area, accessible both in the deepholm intro and being seeing in cinematic.
    MMO Champs :

Quote Originally Posted by Zardas View Post
    The back of deathwing was debattably a "new area" since we were already familiar with his model for a long time.
    And as you said, the Maelstorm was also not a new area, accessible both in the deepholm intro and being seeing in cinematic.
    Sorry, but "being familiar with his model" is not the same as literally fighting him in the sky. People may not LIKE this fight because of the mechanics, but that doesn't change the fact it was a unique and new location.

The same goes for "seeing something in a cinematic". Thats simply not the same as being able to go there. The deepholm into part is fair enough tho.

Dragon Soul. I remember the early Cata raids were really fun, then LFR came along with DS and ruined the integrity of the entire game and raiding for me. Plus the back of Deathwing and gunship were terrible and the opposite of fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure someone has pointed this out but you have Hyjal on its own and Black Temple with Sunwell. BT/Hyjal should be together, and Sunwell on it's own. That would likely impact the poll results quite significantly since although lots of people didn't like Hyjal, BT was pretty well regarded.

For me, it's either Dragonsoul or TOC, which is pretty common dislikes. TOC was a much blander, more forgettable raid overall, but Dragonsoul's final boss fight was so obnoxious both in terms of gameplay and story that it might edge out TOC. I think the final boss of an expansion has a lot higher bar it needs to meet. TOC was bad, but it also felt largely like filler content between two excellent tiers, so other than it's bad release timing, I don't really hold much against it for being aggressively mediocre.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Yah I probably shoulda just said “raid”.

Despite the wonkiness I’m satisfied that the answer was Dragon Soul, TotC, Hyjal, and then it starts to be a little closer between Uldir and Highmaul.

I was expecting Tomb of Sargeras to clock in a little higher with the number of soak mechanics on mythic. Although the tier wasn’t out very long and only had 7? bosses so that probably helped.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tomb had some bad tuning and was very unfriendly to unideal comps but it was a pretty cool raid, and I think that buys a lot of leeway.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Tomb had some bad tuning and was very unfriendly to unideal comps but it was a pretty cool raid, and I think that buys a lot of leeway.
    Tomb had the soaking problem, but was overall a fantastic raid. It had some of the best bosses ever made, and basically not a single stinker. It's very possibly in the Top 5 of best raids of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Sorry, but "being familiar with his model" is not the same as literally fighting him in the sky. People may not LIKE this fight because of the mechanics, but that doesn't change the fact it was a unique and new location.

The same goes for "seeing something in a cinematic". Thats simply not the same as being able to go there. The deepholm into part is fair enough tho.
    You go there in the Deepholm introduction quests, it was not a new area. I remember it well because I encountered a bug there (unknown to me at the time) which later caused me to be unable to complete the Twilight Highlands quest chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Tomb had the soaking problem, but was overall a fantastic raid. It had some of the best bosses ever made, and basically not a single stinker. It's very possibly in the Top 5 of best raids of all time.
    I absolutely despised Mistress Sassz'ine mythic, it was the most jumbled mishmash of every clump up/spread out ability they ever made.

I really liked Avatar P1 though, really cool guild coordination was needed.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Not sure it makes my top five (after a this many years and a zillion raids, there is a lot of competition), but probably in the top ten. Most people seemed to like Nighthold more that expac but Tomb was much superior to me.

Ribcage can suck it, though. Definitely a stinker for me. Split raid and an add fight? No thanks. I don't hold it against it though; pretty much every raid has one fight I dislike.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Trial of the crusader, hands down. Shitty arena fights in the same fucking arena over and over, shitty tier sets and worst of all it undermined Ulduar progression for the slower guilds because it came too early.

Dragon soul was just a disapointment and tomb had mechanical problems on mythic with their insta wipe rubbish.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Probably Trial of the Crusader. All in one room (and the basement), the faction fight, people doing it so many times with all the lockouts, coming too soon, the RP over and over. Dragon Soul also not great. Some of the knocks against it I don't mind- particularly the reused assets- it made sense with the story, and most of the fights (at least the first six) were decent- but taken as a group the whole raid was a giant stack-fest, presumably as an apology to Resto Shaman for how godawful Firelands was for them.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty obvious that people just like cool locations. DS is a familiar location with the only 'new' location being Deathwings back, everything else is reused assets as far as most of the community is concerned.

Personally it's still ToGC because the location was static and I have a deep seated hatred for it for multiple reasons. It obsoleted Ulduar, it came out in weekly intervals, and it was advantageous to run it several times because of how it was created. Most of that I can forgive, but the static arena with zero trash and one under ground section at the end was awful.

I'm not surprised with the results, but the format it still really awful. You're merging 'good and bad' raids in the same category, which is just odd.

If I had to pick 3 it would be ToGC, Battle for Mount Hyjal and DS in that order. Mount Hyjal was unique and quirky the first time I did it, but was the complete opposite of ToGC in everyway. Whereas ToGC had zero trash and the same location, it did have pretty good boss design. Meanwhile Mount Hyjal was all trash with four footnote bosses and one hard boss at the end.

I know the question is about raids specifically but I'm going to answer this question as a casual (as in does very limited to no organized content).

In that regard, easily patch 9.1. Sepulcher as an LFR raid sucked. Covenants and catch up mechanics sucked. Korthia sucked. Loot progression sucked. Lack of more dungeon content sucked. Lack of any real class tuning/adjustments also sucked. Just all around the worst "content" patches I've every attempted to indulge in in my 17 years playing this game.

By that same measure, in my opinion Dragon Soul was probably one of the best raids/patches for me ever. Extra dungeon content with good gear progression PLUS the addition of LFR allowing me to get tier sets was incredible. Similarly patches 8.2 and 8.3 with nazjatar and nyalotha were probably my best times in this game with great gear progression allowing me to actually dip my toes in organized content. The only other patches that were as good for me were probably 3.2 and 3.3 with 3.3 being probably the best patch for a casual player ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    TotC

It was the first time I ever put WoW aside since release.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I listed Hellfire because it was the first time i thought thank fuck thats over instead of hell yea we did and from that point onward i only pugged raids and focused on M+.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    But the question was for the worst tier and Hyjal came along with Black Temple.
    well...tehnicaly they were open with t5....but...blizzard did blizzard things

Trial of the Crusader for me. It's a raid where you spend 4/5 fights in the same room. The faction champions fight was annoying. You could also run the place 4 times a week when it came out.

Can I vote this "poll" as worst voting poll ever?

You literally put things like BWD/TBT/TOT4W together with Firelands as 1 option...

WHOLE MOP TOGETHER?!

And then you put DS or TOGC alone.

Sorry... But I won't even vote this. 1 of the worst polls ever.

Either place all ACTUAL RAID TIERS as individual options, or whole expansions as individual options.

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    Can I vote this "poll" as worst voting poll ever?

You literally put things like BWD/TBT/TOT4W together with Firelands as 1 option...

WHOLE MOP TOGETHER?!

And then you put DS or TOGC alone.

Sorry... But I won't even vote this. 1 of the worst polls ever.

Either place all ACTUAL RAID TIERS as individual options, or whole expansions as individual options.
    OP said multiple times that mmo-c doesn't allow for enough option in the polls for all actual tiers to be an option. He chose to group the one that are generally consider the best because there would have probably be very little people choosing it (and considering the comments, he was actually right, the most disliked tiers seems to be those that have been individualized).
    MMO Champs :