Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjkz...reats-desantis

On Tuesday, a spokesperson from the Bexar County Sheriff’s office told VICE News in an email that “there have been numerous threats, an influx of calls to our dispatch and administrative offices, along with hateful emails received” since the investigation was announced.

“Additionally, as in any instance when our office receives threats precautionary measures will be made for safety of all personnel,” the spokesperson said.
    Predictably, it appears that MAGA cultists are threatening the TX Sheriff that announced he was investigating DeSantis for human trafficking after the governor flew dozens of migrants out of the state and to Massachusetts under false pretenses.

Whoever is sending the threats, I hope they're found and prosecuted. This shit needs to stop being so normalized by extremists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Proving he has no sense of self-awareness, DeSantis calls the lawsuit against him 'political theater'.

No, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Proving he has no sense of self-awareness, DeSantis calls the lawsuit against him 'political theater'.

No, really.
    How do republican heads not explode every day from sheer irony and hypocrisy?
    Putin khuliyo

The problem here is any prosecution (and even this lawsuit) of DeSantis and his cronies will simply be weaponized to further fuel their victimization complex. The aggrieved, noble white citizen, just trying to protect his country from the brown foreigners, unjustly persecuted and oppressed by Big Government (tm) and the godless liberals will be what circulates in their sphere of influence.

I love how they accuse the left of culture wars all the time when they are literally the masters of stoking it and then crying "woe is me!" like distressed Southern belles having a fit of the vapors.

It's a strategy that's going to work. Hell, it already has worked. All the left can do is keep their heads down, provide these people with the services and resources they need without making hay of it, and starve the oxygen from the issue. Save any prosecutions for after the election.

Really a distressing time for this shithole of a country. My family and I were poor immigrants...we even transitioned a student visa to a work visa (which you're not technically supposed to do, you're supposed to go back to your country of origin), my parents fought the perception that they were "stealing jobs" from dumber, lazier white folk. My dad died in 2014, and in some ways I'm glad he didn't see this time in American history. He literally gave up everything to come to this country.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's a strategy that's going to work.
    Of course it's going to work. They managed to convince 30% of the population that an uber-privileged moron born with a silver spoon up his ass is a downtrodden underdog victim. A man who never earned anything good he ever had, and never had to pay the consequences for anything bad he did, and waddled all the way to becoming the fucking PRESIDENT despite having no qualifications. This is the man they say is the biggest victim in recent American history. Of freakin' course it will work.

All the trolling for nothing, his post are fucking gone. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    Everyone involved is an asshole.
    If your only argument is "muh both sides", you have none.

I love how they accuse the left of culture wars all the time when they are literally the masters of stoking it and then crying "woe is me!" like distressed Southern belles having a fit of the vapors.

It's a strategy that's going to work. Hell, it already has worked. All the left can do is keep their heads down, provide these people with the services and resources they need without making hay of it, and starve the oxygen from the issue. Save any prosecutions for after the election.
    The strategy works because the ignorant bigots who support people like DeSantis don't give a shit. It doesn't matter what the Democrats do (or don't do) because literally anything will be spun as persecution of conservatism itself (and by extension the people who hold to it), rather than prosecution of the crimes committed. Waiting won't change that. Neither will trying to moderate the response.

The problem here is any prosecution (and even this lawsuit) of DeSantis and his cronies will simply be weaponized to further fuel their victimization complex. The aggrieved, noble white citizen, just trying to protect his country from the brown foreigners, unjustly persecuted and oppressed by Big Government (tm) and the godless liberals will be what circulates in their sphere of influence.
    Yes. DeSamtis is smart in this way of playing to the base. The political game is to get the nomination then likely do some ducking and dodging in the Presidential election.

Now with this and as you mentioned his culture war attacks, maybe DeSamtis believes this powers him in the general. What I will just call Immigration issue, enough Americans see the problems, not the benefits.

In the end DeSamtis is no doubt playing political theatre for his selfish reasons. Likely up to 2024.
    An oh btw I wish he would lose in November, but Florida is almost a lost cause. He barely won in 2106,
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    This is a such a complete political stunt that this is something he should pay for with his own campaign funds, not taxpayer dollars. And that's apart from the moral and legal issues. Also, there is already a class-action lawsuit against DeSantis by migrants who were moved that were given misleading information to convince them to do it.

Do people like DeSantis think that humans aren't mobile, like they can't move after being bussed? Once they are assisted with the legal process which they have help with now due to this stunt, there is absolutely nothing stopping them from hopping in a car or bus and going right back to Florida. The worst governor of the most daily meme of a state in the country thinks this will help his Presidential run aspirations. There's a ~20% niche that might like him, but that's not going to get him as far as he thinks on the national stage. And getting 0% of the national Hispanic vote would offset most of whatever support he gets from the fringes.

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    This is a such a complete political stunt that this is something he should pay for with his own campaign funds, not taxpayer dollars. And that's apart from the moral and legal issues. Also, there is already a class-action lawsuit against DeSantis by migrants who were moved that were given misleading information to convince them to do it.

Do people like DeSantis think that humans aren't mobile, like they can't move after being bussed? Once they are assisted with the legal process which they have help with now due to this stunt, there is absolutely nothing stopping them from hopping in a car or bus and going right back to Florida. The worst governor of the most daily meme of a state in the country thinks this will help his Presidential run aspirations. There's a ~20% niche that might like him, but that's not going to get him as far as he thinks on the national stage. And getting 0% of the national Hispanic vote would offset most of whatever support he gets from the fringes.
    isnt the whole point to turn everything into a culture war issue?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    The strategy works because the ignorant bigots who support people like DeSantis don't give a shit. It doesn't matter what the Democrats do (or don't do) because literally anything will be spun as persecution of conservatism itself (and by extension the people who hold to it), rather than prosecution of the crimes committed. Waiting won't change that. Neither will trying to moderate the response.
    Personally, I don't know what to do about that, other than wait for the older generation to die off, but young conservatives are crazy too and looking to fill their shoes.

DeSantis Says He Couldn't Find Mass Migration in Florida, Had to Use Texas

DeSantis said that the migrants flown to Martha's Vineyard from Texas were identified as wanting to relocate to Florida.

"The problem is we're not seeing mass movements of them into Florida, so you end up with a car with maybe two [people]," DeSantis said during a speech on September 20.

"And if we know that that's illegal, there's someone that's kind of smuggling them, they're committing a crime then you can do arrest, but that's not effective enough to stop the mass migration, it's just coming in onesie-twosies," he added.

He was not looking hard enough. He should do a sweep of Florida's construction sites and farms. He'll easily net thousands of illegal immigrants. Although that will probably piss off the people that contributed to his campaign and voted for him.

The hypocrisy is amazing. The simple fact is that Texas & Florida economy depends on the availability of abundant cheap labor. Old map from 2019, but nothing has changed since then.

Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-09-21 at 05:17 PM.

https://www.wfla.com/news/politics/m...thas-vineyard/

“Our clients have received a barrage of hate messages,” Espinoza-Madrigal said. “Our clients continue to receive hate messages and death threats that are arriving at the office of Lawyers for Civil Rights, that have arrived at the office of Alianza Americas, our organizational plaintiff in this case.”

He said they have requested the court’s assistance in protecting the plaintiffs’ identities and asked to allow the case to proceed anonymously. That request was approved Wednesday morning, according to Espinoza-Madrigal.
    So in addition to the TX sheriff that's receiving harassment and death threats, the migrants and their attorneys are as well.

And the judge has allowed their class action suit against DeSantis to proceed anonymously to protect their identities and protect them from death threats and harassment from what we can only image are most likely MAGA folks.

Law enforcement really needs to start cracking skulls on this front. The death threats in response to everything is getting absurd.

Personally, I don't know what to do about that, other than wait for the older generation to die off, but young conservatives are crazy too and looking to fill their shoes.
    Yeah, I don't know either. Hoping that the younger generation is less insane seems like a pipe dream at this point.

But a good start would be simply prosecuting the crimes regardless of their complaints/threats. Make it clear in no uncertain terms that hiding behind your office and/or political propaganda doesn't work...and maybe we'd start to see less of it.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-09-21 at 07:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why should De Santis or the GOP ever change? It's not like press punishes their behavior by ... framing the headlines in cool language.

It's pro bono PR for the GOP.
    Government Affiliated Snark

That's a weird way of writing, "State governor plays around with human lives and wastes important time and money to 'own the libs' in latest harmful political stunt"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

No, really.
    That's his go to when his terrible leadership is called into question.

Also need to update my location to Colorado because Fuck Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post

Again... you are asking me if I read the the press kit?
    ROFL

This is a rather interesting spin on the "FAKE NEWS" line that people vomit up when reality makes them look like idiots.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Ron DeSantis chartered migrant flights from GOP donor, report finds

One week before two flights with mostly Venezeulan migrants landed unannounced on Martha’s Vineyard after leaving San Antonio, Florida’s Department of Transportation paid $615,000 to an aviation firm.

State records show that the payment on 8 September was for “RELOCATION PROGRAM OF UNAUTHORIZED ALIENS”.

Records also show that the state paid the same company, Vertol Systems Company Inc, another $950,000, for the same reason, on 19 September, as The Independent previously reported.

In total, the company has received more than $1.56m from Governor Ron DeSantis’s $12m state-funded plan to ship migrants to Democratic states and cities, widely derided as a political stunt to protest Presdent Joe Biden and in an attempt to paint “sanctuaries” as hypocritical.

But Vertol Systems Company Inc and its president have also contributed thousands of dollars to Republican officials in Florida, according to state campaign finance records first reported by The Intercept.

Florida records show that a GOP state lawmaker – whose father sits on the Florida Transportation Commission, which oversees the state’s Transportation Department – received $1,000 from Vertol Systems in June.

Jay Trumbull Jr is not the only GOP recipient of campaign donations from the company.

In 2016, Vertol Systems also contributed $2,500 to a political action committee associated with US Rep Matt Gaetz, according to federal campaign finance records.