Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I mean, "talked a mad, genocidal country into ceasing their genocidal rampage months after the they had already genocided and rampaged when said mad, genocidal country could have stopped at any time" doesn't exactly scream "peacemaker" to me.
    Some people are dumb and impressed easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Some people are dumb and impressed easily.
    More to wit, all the major world players know exactly what's going down with Russia and Ukraine, and I really doubt they'll be very convinced by China or any other Russian "ally" claiming they talked Russia down if Russia pulls itself out of a situation that's going abjectly awful for them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

So protestors being mobilised at police station realy is a thing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nexta_tv/...24106805792773

No way that can go wrong...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

Could be a convenient way to make them "disappear". Just another reminder that Russians citizens are fucked. Only way to fix Russia is to tear it down.

How will it go wrong? They'll be cannon fodder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get enough protestors in one unit with the little oversight the Russian military seems to have and we might be seeing more and more repeats of "officer intentionally run over by own troops."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Fragging of officers, mutinous talk with the troops, that kind of thing. The exact kind of thing that caused the downfall of imperial Russia under the tsars.

People literally dying so that the elite in their country can continue to steal state funds which they use to by gaudy super cars, villas, yachts and hookers.

NATO should boss up and say no fly zone past the Dnieper. Any plane or missile that crosses gets shot down and its origin blasted. The most stupid thing the west did was rule out direct involvement. Russia couldn't do shit about it.

Despite Russian claims that the mobilised troops will receive weeks of training, some are being sent straight to the front with no training.

https://twitter.com/PjotrSauer/statu...1YZs-EDdotUR7g

- - - Updated - - -

Russian milibloggers are livid over the prisoners swap - Putin kept going on about de-nazification but then they release those accused of being nazis.

Https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1...1YZs-EDdotUR7g

Despite Russian claims that the mobilised troops will receive weeks of training, some are being sent straight to the front with no training.

https://twitter.com/PjotrSauer/statu...1YZs-EDdotUR7g
    I hear sending a bunch of rando's into a combat zone with no training is generally actually a very good strategy and in no way endangers whatever unfortunate units they are attached to. Or maybe they'll be their own unit or something and can unironically be Russia recreating "Operation Human Shield".

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

no sane person thinks russia will lose to ukraine. they will declare war if they must. but they will win.
    How many days are we in on Putin's "3 day special operation"?

Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-09-22 at 12:23 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Honestly Russia is so completely and utterly broken as a state at this point I've lost all hope for peace, the only way forward to to tear the entire Russian system down and rebuild from scratch. Imagine drafting up your civilians and sending them straight to the front lines to fight an unnecessary war that you started.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Honestly Russia is so completely and utterly broken as a state at this point I've lost all hope for peace, the only way forward to to tear the entire Russian system down and rebuild from scratch. Imagine drafting up your civilians and sending them straight to the front lines to fight an unnecessary war that you started.
    If Russia seriously begins mobilizing its civilian population I think internal unrest could boil to a head very swiftly.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Sudden surge of pacifism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post

Gee...I wonder why ...

If Russia seriously begins mobilizing its civilian population I think internal unrest could boil to a head very swiftly.
    That is what they are doing. Pretty much every civilian male is eligible due to their mandatory military training. Though to call what they receive training is laughable. When they aren't being pimped out by their officers, they are building dachas for them. If they actually train them it's less money to embezzle.

The whiplash on Russian social media is something to behold. It's gone from 'put those Ukrainian peasants in their place' to 'wait, what, it's going to effect me? He'll no.'

10+ Year Old Account
    That is what they are doing. Pretty much every civilian male is eligible due to their mandatory military training. Though to call what they receive training is laughable. When they aren't being pimped out by their officers, they are building dachas for them. If they actually train them it's less money to embezzle.

The whiplash on Russian social media is something to behold. It's gone from 'put those Ukrainian peasants in their place' to 'wait, what, it's going to effect me? He'll no.'
    I've the impression that the Russian people, by and large, have been beaten down by years of corruption, misinformation, and draconian policy into a state of "keep your head down, don't speak up, and just try and live your life," and in doing so can more or less move forward unhindered and unperturbed. Even if people disagreed with the initial war against Ukraine, speaking against it would likely 1) not do anything and 2) could result in bad things happening to you and your loved ones. But the people dying were Ukrainians and Russians from somewhere else whom they didn't know, so what immediate effect did it have on them? Why risk speaking out when by saying nothing you can basically just continue on, and by saying something you risk prejudicial action being levied against you?

But, like I said, with the sons, fathers and husbands of practically everyone potentially going off to war to die pointlessly? That's something that either affects the individual or the family personally. Suddenly it's not so easy to just "keep your head down, don't speak up, and try and live your life."
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Over 1300 arrests in a single day now.

And a number of pows have been released, including azovstal defenders and UK and US nationals who had been captured, in a prisoner swap that involves Saudi Arabia.
    1300 volunteers*

- - - Updated - - -

I've the impression that the Russian people, by and large, have been beaten down by years of corruption, misinformation, and draconian policy into a state of "keep your head down, don't speak up, and just try and live your life," and in doing so can more or less move forward unhindered and unperturbed. Even if people disagreed with the initial war against Ukraine, speaking against it would likely 1) not do anything and 2) could result in bad things happening to you and your loved ones. But the people dying were Ukrainians and Russians from somewhere else whom they didn't know, so what immediate effect did it have on them? Why risk speaking out when by saying nothing you can basically just continue on, and by saying something you risk prejudicial action being levied against you?

But, like I said, with the sons, fathers and husbands of practically everyone potentially going off to war to die pointlessly? That's something that either affects the individual or the family personally. Suddenly it's not so easy to just "keep your head down, don't speak up, and try and live your life."
    I don't think you understand corruption in russia. They aren't beaten down by it, they all participate in it, on every rung of the society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I don't think you understand corruption in russia. They aren't beaten down by it, they all participate in it, on every rung of the society.
    I recall reading that allegedly in Russia they view corruption as inevitable and so long as it leads to stability and security they will put up with it.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    "Oh, so you support our w̶a̶r̶ special operation effort? Here is an invitation to the nearest recruitment centre!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    I recall reading that allegedly in Russia they view corruption as inevitable and so long as it leads to stability and security they will put up with it.
    Just like with dictatorship, I guess.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.