Suikoden 1 & 2 Remasters

One of the more criminally underrated RPG series is getting a remaster of the first two games. Which are considered the best in the series (although the others weren't bad by any means). Surprising that Konami is doing this since pretty much everyone had given up hope of Konami giving any respect to this series. So much so that the original team is making it's own spiritual successor in Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes

"The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    …I may have just peed alittle,
    Me and my brother loved the suikoden series growing up

Aesthetically looks terrible. Another typical JRPG "remaster" where the visuals are botched. Just play the originals with whatever CRT Royale filter you prefer.

It's strange that they're not porting III and the Suikogaiden games, since they along with I and II compose the original storyline and still had Murayama's involvement, which is what fans consider to be the true Suikoden series.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Aesthetically looks terrible. Another typical JRPG "remaster" where the visuals are botched. Just play the originals with whatever CRT Royale filter you prefer.

It's been decades, so I don't remember this mechanic. What is this?

And yeah, wow, those visuals need cleaned up.

Edit: Those pics do not look like the video in the OP though, can you link where you got them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Looks pretty clean. If nothing else, it'll bring Suikoden to a new generation... I still remember those rock-paper-scissor duels and tactical army battles, no other Turn Based RPG even attempted something like that. I vaguely recall trying to pull that off in RPG Maker 2000 back in the day, with little success lol.

Something about games based on Chinese mythology/novels gives us outstanding titles; Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Water Margin, Monkey King... I grew up loving media based on those books.

All that said, the big news is, of course, Eiyuden Chronicle. I noticed it was Kickstarted and due for TBA 2023, so hopefully it doesn't end up in development hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    It's been decades, so I don't remember this mechanic. What is this?
    The SRPG battles in S2.

The SRPG battles in S2.
    I've totally blanked on this. I remember the 6 party member turn based combat with the unites and stuff, and the large army rock/paper/scissors stuff, but I do not remember that mechanic at all. That reminds me of Shining Force or Fire Emblem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    All that said, the big news is, of course, Eiyuden Chronicle. I noticed it was Kickstarted and due for TBA 2023, so hopefully it doesn't end up in development hell.
    One of my friends has been talking about that for years. Definitely looking forward to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Found this one - shows the differences pretty well

I have been looking froward to this since the announcement. Two of my personal favorite games.

Whatever universal powers are responsible for the random remasters, please I beg you, Parasite Eve 1 & 2...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I have been looking froward to this since the announcement. Two of my personal favorite games.

Whatever universal powers are responsible for the random remasters, please I beg you, Parasite Eve 1 & 2...
    Gonna second that last bit with a few prayers for Xenogears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything looks ok to me except for the backgrounds. Why do they look to bad? Think I will just stick to the originals if I ever replay them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I've totally blanked on this. I remember the 6 party member turn based combat with the unites and stuff, and the large army rock/paper/scissors stuff, but I do not remember that mechanic at all. That reminds me of Shining Force or Fire Emblem.
    Suikoden, at least the first two, had three different battle systems. There was the standard 6 person part battles, the army vs army battles similar to Fire Emblem, and a 1 on 1 duel system that pops up a handful of times for big story moments.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Gonna second that last bit with a few prayers for Xenogears.
    They need to resolve the final part of the game just being a book to read.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    They need to resolve the final part of the game just being a book to read.
    That would require a remake which will never happen. Square hardly ever does remakes. They remade FF3, FF4, Tactics Ogre, and are remaking DQ3, and... that's it. If you stretch it then you could also count Final Fanfic VII. Xenogears came out in 1998. If a remake was going to happen it would have been announced years ago, as the people who grew up playing Xenogears and would be nostalgic enough to buy a remake are pushing 40. They have families to feed and insure and housing mortgages to pay. Men become less and less prone to spending as they grow older. The window of opportunity to milk Xenogears fans is slipping away. Besides, the people who made Xenogears left Square and followed Takahashi to Monolith soft almost 23 years ago. If Square remade Xenogears it'd just be fanfiction, and the chances of Square and Monolith Soft co-producing a Xenogears remake are nill.

Another question a Square businessmen has to ask is: how truly popular is Xenogears? Last I checked, it only sold 280,000 copies outside of Japan. It had a cult following Gamefaqs but nobody in the mainstream was talking about it. If Square is going to remake to sell to a pre-existing audience then they mind as well remake a much more renowned FF title like 6 or 9.

7+ Year Old Account
    That would require a remake which will never happen. Square hardly ever does remakes. They remade FF3, FF4, Tactics Ogre, and are remaking DQ3, and... that's it. If you stretch it then you could also count Final Fanfic VII. Xenogears came out in 1998. If a remake was going to happen it would have been announced years ago, as the people who grew up playing Xenogears and would be nostalgic enough to buy a remake are pushing 40. They have families to feed and insure and housing mortgages to pay. Men become less and less prone to spending as they grow older. The window of opportunity to milk Xenogears fans is slipping away. Besides, the people who made Xenogears left Square and followed Takahashi to Monolith soft almost 23 years ago. If Square remade Xenogears it'd just be fanfiction, and the chances of Square and Monolith Soft co-producing a Xenogears remake are nill.

Another question a Square businessmen has to ask is: how truly popular is Xenogears? Last I checked, it only sold 280,000 copies outside of Japan. It had a cult following Gamefaqs but nobody in the mainstream was talking about it. If Square is going to remake to sell to a pre-existing audience then they mind as well remake a much more renowned FF title like 6 or 9.
    Fuck off Val no one asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.