Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mecheon View Post
    Dozens of different types of elves is a fantasy staple. See also: D&D and its so very many elves.

Winged elves, Dark Elves, Gray Elves, Wild Elves, High Elves, Aquatic Elves, Demonic Elves, Chaotic Good Celestial Elves, the Other Aquatic Elves because Dragonlance is a mess, Valley Elves, the Third Type of Aquatic Elves because boy I hate Dragonlance (these ones are aquatic dark elves), Greyseer Elves (Underground elves who aren't evil), Snow Elves, Wood Elves, Shadow Elves

I am totally down for playable naga in any way shape or form, mind, and Naga were formerly elves (mind naga should totally be Hordeside due to BElves)
    You forgot Star Elves, Space Elves and Werewolf Elves (there may well be others).

With the release of the Dracthyr, they at least no longer can make the excuse for not using boots etc visible on the character

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    I really want Nagas, I personally don't want them to have an "elf" form, cause part of their charm is that they are corrupted by the Old Gods power and ended up like that, though the ideas posted by OP looks great, but again, I would prefer them as full Nagas, if I have to go with another race that have 2 forms, I would prefer just Night Elf worgens, but that's just cause it makes sense lorewise and I find silly that the NE after finding a way to suppress the wild nature of the Worgen, have not tried to help their first group of worgens that are still in the Emerald Dream.
    I think the same on this, even if i find this concept very cool and interesting and having looot of potential like the fish faced elves look very nice, i do want Nagas, and when i say i want nagas it is not some rip off or mutatated thing, i want the snake tailed classic nagas from war3, sure you can add stuff that makes them have some mutations like more than one tails (like Un'at) but their concept have to be the originale ones to me.

If naga then just give us naga and not another freaking elven variant with the same model as existing player races... how many of those to you freaking need? The second you have armor on noone sees a difference.

But i rather have non of that. Keep evil races evil. I hate that everything and everyone needs redemption.

Or if not evil highly antagonistic towards every other sentien race in wow. Like hyper nationalist.

I really love this concept and it feels like it directly inspired the Dracthyr designer(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    If naga then just give us naga and not another freaking elven variant with the same model as existing player races... how many of those to you freaking need? The second you have armor on noone sees a difference.

But i rather have non of that. Keep evil races evil. I hate that everything and everyone needs redemption.

Or if not evil highly antagonistic towards every other sentien race in wow. Like hyper nationalist.
    1 - The whole Nazdorei point is to make it playable without blizzard doing too much work about the armor issues and the mounting issues, its only for this, actually it is because we want nagas so hard and blizz keep saying there is technical issues with the fact they have tails that ppl come with this 2 forms idea

2 - Keep evil race evil? What about forsaken there? I mean, nagas were playable back in war3 there is no "keep evil what is evil" its playable in war3, and all war3 playable races are playable in wow except the nagas..

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesis View Post
    1 - The whole Nazdorei point is to make it playable without blizzard doing too much work about the armor issues and the mounting issues, its only for this, actually it is because we want nagas so hard and blizz keep saying there is technical issues with the fact they have tails that ppl come with this 2 forms idea

2 - Keep evil race evil? What about forsaken there? I mean, nagas were playable back in war3 there is no "keep evil what is evil" its playable in war3, and all war3 playable races are playable in wow except the nagas..
    Elves with scales are not naga.... its a cop out like Drakthyr visage form to not have to put work into it, What exactly do you gain here? A racetag. Nothing more. If there is no new model there should no be new races. Cosmetic options for existing races? Why not. Give the nigthelves scales. Don't even have to force create lore around. But why create another race with no real different features?

So? WHo says i like that undead are suddenly good? Or where i draw my own arbitrary line? It is opinion.
    So i can live with undead (no pun intended) but i don't think it does any good to force "good" naga and give them back their old form for no reason.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk123 View Post
    With the release of the Dracthyr, they at least no longer can make the excuse for not using boots etc visible on the character
    This doesnt make much sense to me..where are troll boots?

Naga are using a tail, so some kind ring or extra tail armor would be their boots. Not actual boots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    I really want Nagas, I personally don't want them to have an "elf" form, cause part of their charm is that they are corrupted by the Old Gods power and ended up like that, though the ideas posted by OP looks great, but again, I would prefer them as full Nagas, if I have to go with another race that have 2 forms, I would prefer just Night Elf worgens, but that's just cause it makes sense lorewise and I find silly that the NE after finding a way to suppress the wild nature of the Worgen, have not tried to help their first group of worgens that are still in the Emerald Dream.
    Yea I agree.

I mean they are naga, they have a very cool and very unique story of themselves. Sure they used to be elves, but they are not anymore. Thats part of their story.

Making a highborne visage form kinda destroys the purpose there. They were transformed and we have no knowledge of naga going poof back in elf form. It just doesnt make much sense. I have said it before and I get constant whining about this(basically saying blizzard has no animators lol) but sidesaddle is an absolute must imo. The past jokes on trippong over their tail and being able to swim fast etc etc should all be part of their package.

I love naga, but I would absolutely hate them if the end up being what op suggested. These are not naga period.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2022-09-26 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Elves with scales are not naga.... its a cop out like Drakthyr visage form to not have to put work into it, What exactly do you gain here? A racetag. Nothing more. If there is no new model there should no be new races. Cosmetic options for existing races? Why not. Give the nigthelves scales. Don't even have to force create lore around. But why create another race with no real different features?

So? WHo says i like that undead are suddenly good? Or where i draw my own arbitrary line? It is opinion.
    So i can live with undead (no pun intended) but i don't think it does any good to force "good" naga and give them back their old form for no reason.
    I mean....its not nelf with scales, its nagas, did you even read the concept or you just saw first pic and saw nb with scales? If you did not get it, its a 2 forms races, they can be nagas always (except on mount i would guess) and it is because blizz said too many times that "oh we cant do nagas because no legs" this way is to by-pass it and still get nagas which is better than no nagas i owuld say, even if i would prefere to have actual nagas and not 2 forms race and they find a way to make nagas sit on mount (which is not impossible...its easly done with imagination and some work a lot of hearthstone arts showed nagas on mounts recently.) i like the concept, i find it interesting but to me, nagas must be nagas not elfe/nagas forms just to make them be on mount...just make animaiton for mount and give us true nagas, but if its only way to get nagas then...

About the undead being good...like really? Did you read undead questing and voice lines? Undead literaly dont care about the living, they even tell "beware the living" they make plagues and all these stuff, i would not call them "good" to be honest >< (i talk about forsaken here) again if you think its "no reason behind them regaining their old form" you did not read the OP because it is explained....and being playable dont mean being good, example being the orcs who can be either good like Thrall or like Garrosh

But to be clear about it, i would say the concept is cool, but it is a bit "weak" in the sense that it is so like "desperate" to get nagas that it go in 2 forms non sense to get us the nagas, in a way i understand the reasons but in other hand i think it is hopeless idea not even asking blizz to work to make an animaiton for mount...its like the person who do concept thinks like "oh blizz is lazy anyway so let go in their lazy ways"
    Last edited by Ameonna; 2022-09-26 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    No more eeeelves!
    You mean no more trolls? Elves are troll descendants.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfunk View Post
    More furry crap......?

No thanks.
    So any time a race is based on a non-human species it's a furry?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mama View Post
    [SIZE=4]<snip>
    Please. This would be great. And you could always look toward the Jinyu and Ankoan for inspiration, too.

Love to see the thread still getting attention 3 and a half years later since I made the concept. It's okay if you don't like it and it's even better if you do. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    I really love this concept and it feels like it directly inspired the Dracthyr designer(s).
    That's a really nice thing to say. Thank you!
    he/him/his • please go check out Nazdorei (Playable Naga Concept) and Kul Tiran Female Edit.

Personally, this race makes 10000% more sense in the Alliance. The two current playable races who would benefit the most from playable Naga are the Void elves and Night elves.

The Void elves can interact with and develop alongside the Nazdorei, as they are both corrupted elves of Highborne descent who were twisted by the powers of the Void, but managed to overcome that corruption and free themselves.

The Night elves will reconcile with their twisted kin, a long process that started in Cataclysm when the Highborne sect of Eldre'Thalas was welcomed back to Darnassus. The Night elves would probably acknowledge that these Naga ultimately rebelled against Azshara.

I know that the Naga will eventually become playable in some form, most likely when Azshara returns as a main character. They are one of the races I look forward to, from a story perspective. As I explained above, there are two cool angles in which they could be developed alongside other Alliance races.

Ren'dorei. Kaldorei. Nazdorei. They belong under the same banner.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-09-27 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Personally, this race makes 10000% more sense in the Alliance. The two current playable races who would benefit the most from playable Naga are the Void elves and Night elves.

The Void elves can interact with and develop alongside the Nazdorei, as they are both corrupted elves of Highborne descent who were twisted by the powers of the Void, but managed to overcome that corruption and free themselves.

The Night elves will reconcile with their twisted kin, a long process that started in Cataclysm when the Highborne sect of Eldre'Thalas was welcomed back to Darnassus. The Night elves would probably acknowledge that these Naga ultimately rebelled against Azshara.

I know that the Naga will eventually become playable in some form, most likely when Azshara returns as a main character. They are one of the races I look forward to, from a story perspective. As I explained above, there are two cool angles in which they could be developed alongside other Alliance races.

I don't think Azshara is going to be the leader, much like how Rastakhan wound up not being the leader of the Zandalar. With her at the reigns, nobody's going to trust them and all groups are going to hostile. After Nyalotha, she left, and I can see her leaving behind some of her people, and with both her gone and N'zoth's influence also gone, they could be lost and start reaching out to the Horde or Alliance for aid, but also in fear because they're sort of one of those "we don't like you kill for loot" guys.

Blood Elves were recently shown having a massive aversion to "dark magic" twice now. First with the exile of the Void Elves, and in 9.2.5 in the quest chain involving the San'layn. I can actually see them rejecting the Naga - but potentially not being overtly hostile -, not wanting outsiders who dabble in dark magic close to them, and that's when they'd either reach out to the Kaldorei, or even the Ren'dorei knowing there's a connection with the void there for them.

Anybody who states anything to do with Warcraft 3 and Blood Elves would be ignoring that Void Elves are Blood Elves too, and the ones that still dabble in very dark magic. Blood Elves on the Horde? Are moving away from that, and seemingly very quickly. If they do become playable, I can see the Blood Elves pulling the same thing Tyrande did with the Nightborne, and frankly, it gives both groups some good story progression.

If the Kaldorei are truly about to go through a renewal process, I can see her accepting the Naga, even if reluctantly and not wanting much to do with them. Anybody with a brain, which Tyrande does have, would see how she drove the Nightborne to the Horde, and even just putting up with them so they don't go to the enemy is crucial. There's a lack of "internal conflict" with the Alliance, and the introduction of Naga would provide that, much like how not all the Horde races get along perfectly, the Kaldorei and Naga can give that tension, while the Shen'dralar/Ren'dorei try to mediate or something.

And we're also forgetting that Kul'tirans - if they're written to be sympathetic because they were also screwed around with by N'zoth - could be a potential reluctant ally to the Naga as well, and a secondary source of a potential redemption arc.

...there's also Gilgoblins, which are allied with the Horde now, and they've been enslaved by Naga as well. Lore states that sometimes it's willing, but that's very doubtful, and I don't think they'd enjoy working with their slavers either, nor would the Naga - being Highborne - want to be equals with them. They're not a playable group, but I do think they matter in the discussion.

Story aside, they also fill the "we want highborne as a unique aesthetic" request the Alliance has had for years, and lost when the Nightborne went Horde. And frankly, I'd take Naga over Nightborne, especially when a huge issue the Alliance has is the lack of distinct and unique races. Mermaid snake people? Absolutely going to help that issue, especially after BFA where the Alliance got two more "humans" (Diaperbaby and Literally Fat Humans) while the Horde got Zandalari and CuteFoxes. It'd be a huge boon for balance, especially because those two Horde races are extremely popular in comparison to their counterparts by a massive landslide.

There's just way more story potential, racial connections, and more to gain for actual gameplay balance from them going Alliance.

And the Horde can get Ogres as their addition at the same time, giving the last two reasonable major vanilla race quests to each faction.

Too similar to Nightborne. They also somewhat overlap with the Gilgoblins.
    What's wrong with a full-on Naga race? No two forms, no nothing. They can use the Sethrak animations for all i care.
    Last edited by username993720; 2022-09-30 at 09:39 AM.

what he said! No more Elves!!
    f signatures

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    I don't think Azshara is going to be the leader, much like how Rastakhan wound up not being the leader of the Zandalar. With her at the reigns, nobody's going to trust them and all groups are going to hostile. After Nyalotha, she left, and I can see her leaving behind some of her people, and with both her gone and N'zoth's influence also gone, they could be lost and start reaching out to the Horde or Alliance for aid, but also in fear because they're sort of one of those "we don't like you kill for loot" guys.

Blood Elves were recently shown having a massive aversion to "dark magic" twice now. First with the exile of the Void Elves, and in 9.2.5 in the quest chain involving the San'layn. I can actually see them rejecting the Naga - but potentially not being overtly hostile -, not wanting outsiders who dabble in dark magic close to them, and that's when they'd either reach out to the Kaldorei, or even the Ren'dorei knowing there's a connection with the void there for them.

Anybody who states anything to do with Warcraft 3 and Blood Elves would be ignoring that Void Elves are Blood Elves too, and the ones that still dabble in very dark magic. Blood Elves on the Horde? Are moving away from that, and seemingly very quickly. If they do become playable, I can see the Blood Elves pulling the same thing Tyrande did with the Nightborne, and frankly, it gives both groups some good story progression.

If the Kaldorei are truly about to go through a renewal process, I can see her accepting the Naga, even if reluctantly and not wanting much to do with them. Anybody with a brain, which Tyrande does have, would see how she drove the Nightborne to the Horde, and even just putting up with them so they don't go to the enemy is crucial. There's a lack of "internal conflict" with the Alliance, and the introduction of Naga would provide that, much like how not all the Horde races get along perfectly, the Kaldorei and Naga can give that tension, while the Shen'dralar/Ren'dorei try to mediate or something.

And we're also forgetting that Kul'tirans - if they're written to be sympathetic because they were also screwed around with by N'zoth - could be a potential reluctant ally to the Naga as well, and a secondary source of a potential redemption arc.

...there's also Gilgoblins, which are allied with the Horde now, and they've been enslaved by Naga as well. Lore states that sometimes it's willing, but that's very doubtful, and I don't think they'd enjoy working with their slavers either, nor would the Naga - being Highborne - want to be equals with them. They're not a playable group, but I do think they matter in the discussion.

Story aside, they also fill the "we want highborne as a unique aesthetic" request the Alliance has had for years, and lost when the Nightborne went Horde. And frankly, I'd take Naga over Nightborne, especially when a huge issue the Alliance has is the lack of distinct and unique races. Mermaid snake people? Absolutely going to help that issue, especially after BFA where the Alliance got two more "humans" (Diaperbaby and Literally Fat Humans) while the Horde got Zandalari and CuteFoxes. It'd be a huge boon for balance, especially because those two Horde races are extremely popular in comparison to their counterparts by a massive landslide.

There's just way more story potential, racial connections, and more to gain for actual gameplay balance from them going Alliance.

And the Horde can get Ogres as their addition at the same time, giving the last two reasonable major vanilla race quests to each faction.
    I'd actually say they'd have a better chance with the Horde, unless we're intentionally shooting for within-faction conflict stories. The Naga are basically those who stood with Azshara until the very moment of the Sundering - yes there have been Highborne who were allowed back into Kaldorei society but they're the ones that mostly kept to themsleves. The Naga are to the Highborne what SS officers were to your average Hans during WW2, and considering the Kaldorei have seen them as absolute abominations for the last 10,000 years I don't really see a reunion working there.

The Sin'dorei, on the other hand, were perfectly willing to work with Naga during WC3 which implies that their prejudice against the race is much milder than that of the Kaldorei. The average Silvermoon citizen would harbor less resentment towards a Naga walking down their streets than the average Darnassian would. It's true that the Sin'dorei aren't fond of void magic but despite their Old God influence the Naga we've seen so far have heavily favoured arcane and elemental (storm and water) magic, from Azsuna's naga to Lady Vashj to Naga Sea Witches in WC3. Even Azshara herself doesn't utilise the void until the very last phase of the encounter where she starts drawing power from N'zoth in desperation. The Blood Elves are a big fan of the arcane themselves and have never had issues with elemental magic, I don't see why they'd be repulsive of the Naga outside the fact that they're, well, Naga (and this reaction would be much weaker than that of the Night Elves).

As for the Ren'dorei, I'm a bit skeptical on their political weight as they're a very small faction. Umbric didn't take half of Silvermoon into exile with him and even if they're somehow creating more by having Alleria infuse elves with the void (rather ethically questionable) I don't see their population booming anytime soon. The Kul Tirans could have interesting interactions if the Tidemother is indeed somehow related to Azshara (as many have speculated), but like you've said it's unlikely for Azshara to lead the playable faction and if we're actually dealing with renegades who oppose Azshara that connection won't mean much either.

I do agree that the Alliance could use another 'monstrous' race after the Worgen, and ever since Wrath I've been thinking the Vrykul would fit that niche really well. They have a somewhat savage, warlike culture but nevertheless uphold their standards of honour, and are the ancestors of all humans on Azeroth which could lead to so many interesting stories if they join the Alliance. The unlock quest could have them soften up to their 'deformed' descendants through the actions of folks like Anduin or Turalyon.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Naga and blood elves any one?
    Why does this feel like pushing your favorites again?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    No, I mean that the race can be relevant in an expansion where Azshara is the main villain, as they can be one of the main groups against her.

Agreed.

The only blood elf who ever cooperated with a naga was Kael'thas, and the dude was obviously crazy evil. Furthermore, Blood elves reject the powers of the Void, and the Naga, like the Ren'dorei, have been twisted by it.

The Night elves reconciled with their former Highborne kin of Eldre'Thalas, they can reconcile with the Naga too. In the end, they all suffered because of the crimes of a select few people (Azshara, Xavius...).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caiphon View Post

The Sin'dorei
    You mean the Sunfury, who were a villainous faction in TBC and have been wiped out, and were led by an unambiguously evil psycho?

The Sin'dorei of Silvermoon, led by Lor'themar Theron, the Blood elf group that is actually playable, never had friendly relations with the Naga.

No, I mean that the race can be relevant in an expansion where Azshara is the main villain, as they can be one of the main groups against her.

Agreed.

The only blood elf who ever cooperated with a naga was Kael'thas, and the dude was obviously crazy evil. Furthermore, Blood elves reject the powers of the Void, and the Naga, like the Ren'dorei, have been twisted by it.

The Night elves reconciled with their former Highborne kin of Eldre'Thalas, they can reconcile with the Naga too. In the end, they all suffered because of the crimes of a select few people (Azshara, Xavius...).

- - - Updated - - -

You mean the Sunfury, who were a villainous faction in TBC and have been wiped out, and were led by an unambiguously evil psycho?

The Sin'dorei of Silvermoon, led by Lor'themar Theron, the Blood elf group that is actually playable, never had friendly relations with the Naga.
    Nevertheless the WC3 Sunfury were basically your average Silvermoon magisters, warriors and rangers sharing the same history and culture before Kael went mad with power (which came significantly after cooperating with the Naga). I've never claimed the current Sin'dorei had relations with the Naga, just that they likely wouldn't be completely horrified by the idea as Kael's folks didn't have too much of a problem with it even before their spiraling descent. There is also at least one important official that has seen collaboration with the Naga - Rommath, who was sent by Kael from Outland to share Illidan's knowledge with Silvermoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiphon View Post
    Nevertheless the WC3 Sunfury were basically your average Silvermoon magisters, warriors and rangers sharing the same history and culture before Kael went mad with power (which came significantly after cooperating with the Naga). I've never claimed the current Sin'dorei had relations with the Naga, just that they likely wouldn't be completely horrified by the idea as Kael's folks didn't have too much of a problem with it even before their spiraling descent. There is also at least one important official that has seen collaboration with the Naga - Rommath, who was sent by Kael from Outland to share Illidan's knowledge with Silvermoon.
    The Blood elves only joined forces with the Naga because they were desperate. Had they not done so, the Scourge that was encroaching on Dalaran would have slaughtered them all. Silvermoon and the Ghostlands are still ruined but the Blood elves nowadays are no longer in such a desperate state that they would consider cooperation with the naga.

The Kaldorei and Ren'dorei are not desperate for allies either, but they have a clear story connection with the Naga, one that the Blood elves lack, or do not have to the same extent. The Kaldorei and the Naga were enemies during the War of the Ancients, and a story of forgiveness and reconciliation can be told here, and both the Ren'dorei and Naga are victims of the Void. Alleria, Umbric, and the Ren'dorei were transformed by the Void Naaru/Void Ethereals, while the Naga were transformed by the Old God N'Zoth.

Whatever connection any Horde race might have with the Naga, it is not nearly as interesting as the clear thematic link between Naga and these two aforementioned Alliance races.

Furthermore, this hypothetical race would be redundant in the Horde, as the Nightborne already represent the fantasy of "decadent Highborne remnant race".