Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Hillary praising neofascist Meloni: “The election of the first woman prime minister in a country always represents a break with the past, and that is certainly a good thing,”

Umm? Mixing some Mmmerican politics in here, but I don't know if Hillary thinks this is a step to progressivism and feminism.
    It's still a woman being elected in a fairly conservative country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Am I the only one who finds the concept of a female hard right wing leader as kind of a contradiction?

Isn't part of the whole hard right wing "traditional family" schtick that women shouldn't have careers but rather raise their kids at home? Ergo, isn't her running for office inherently contradictory to her beliefs?

Or is that part of the "traditional family" just a US thing?
    I think Le Pen proved that the best way to rebrand your fascist party is to place a woman on front. I guess it makes the intense nationalism, xenophobia, homophobia and transphobia more palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    How does that make it any better, whether these people have a pair of tits or not doesn't matter, they are still ultimately scum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hillary praising neofascist Meloni: “The election of the first woman prime minister in a country always represents a break with the past, and that is certainly a good thing,”

Umm? Mixing some Mmmerican politics in here, but I don't know if Hillary thinks this is a step to progressivism and feminism.
    Problem is you're quoting Mark Ames, (well known for being a sex pest, creep, and all around misogynist).
    And he's quoting Hillary out of context. Going for the worn-out meme, where an Online Pundit quotes a person out-of-context-to dunk-on-them.

So by quoting him, you get a proxy dunk on Hillary. Thanks for your concern about feminism.

Say hi to Matt Tiabbi for us!
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I think Le Pen proved that the best way to rebrand your fascist party is to place a woman on front. I guess it makes the intense nationalism, xenophobia, homophobia and transphobia more palatable.
    It's no different than Palin, Greene or Boebert or frankly, even Thatcher. Get a woman to be the face of your regressive bullshit, ???, profit!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Halloween Voter View Post
    Problem is you're quoting Mark Ames, (well known for being a sex pest, creep, and all around misogynist).
    And he's quoting Hillary out of context. Going for the worn-out meme, where an Online Pundit quotes a person out-of-context-to dunk-on-them.

So by quoting him, you get a proxy dunk on Hillary. Thanks for your concern about feminism.

Say hi to Matt Tiabbi for us!
    Huh?

The election of the first woman prime minister in a country always represents a break with the past, and that is certainly a good thing,” Hillary Clinton said to an Italian journalist at the Venice International Film Festival earlier this month. She was speaking of Giorgia Meloni, a member of the Chamber of Deputies, who could make history if the Brothers of Italy party does as well as expected in Sunday’s elections.

From The Atlantic. A fairly credible new source.

Looked up the author: Ruth Ben-Ghiat.

Ruth Ben-Ghiat is an American historian and cultural critic. She is a scholar on fascism and authoritarian leaders. Ben-Ghiat is professor of history and Italian studies at New York University

I admit don't know much about this person, but she is an expert on fascism.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Hmmm, yet another case of "Russia knows that promoting right-wing leadership in adversarial nations makes them more insular, less stable, and overall weakens them?"
    It worked for him in the United States. Why not try/continue it in literally every other country where it's possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    probably not enough to change the constitution and get rid of institutional antifascism laws or make a real presidential system but enough to fuck around with barriers to abortion laws and still do alot of damage. I give it 18 months till Salvani collapses the gov. because of economic control.
    If we start seeing "remove the free speech barriers!" verbiage from her or her party, we'll know she's walking that path.

- - - Updated - - -

Hillary is smart enough to know Meloni's politics. Either we're oversimplifying things and she has better information than the wonderkins on this site, or, she's walking a fine line between supporting women in politics and avoiding a discussion/dive on fascism.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Hillary is smart enough to know Meloni's politics. Either we're oversimplifying things and she has better information than the wonderkins on this site, or, she's walking a fine line between supporting women in politics and avoiding a discussion/dive on fascism.

I liked the spicy take that Hillary was clueless on Meloni and just gave a blanket statement about some female politician.

If Hillary knew her politics, then this statement is horrible without mentioning why. Is Meloni in US back pocket? Cause idk why you can praise anything she says.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Huh?
    The tweet you quoted.

Also, what's the rest of the quote from hillary? Pretty sure the rest of it is something to the effect of: 'But you should judge the pol by their actions, not just their gender.'

When you take a quote out of context that badly, and frame a stupid narrative around it, it says more about you than anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The tweet you quoted.

Also, what's the rest of the quote from hillary? Pretty sure the rest of it is something to the effect of: 'But you should judge the pol by their actions, not just their gender.'

When you take a quote out of context that badly, and frame a stupid narrative around it, it says more about you than anyone else.
    'The election of the first woman prime minister in a country always represents a break with the past, and that is certainly a good thing. But then, as with any leader, woman or man, she must be judged by what she does. I never agreed with Margaret Thatcher, but I admired her determination. Clearly, then you vote on ideas.'

'Clinton repeated the same essential comments in a clip released by Sky’s tg24, part of an interview to go out on Friday evening. Prefacing her comments on Meloni saying she “doesn’t know much about her,” Clinton said, “every time a woman is elected to head of state or government, that is a step forward. Then that woman, like a man, has to be judged, on what she stands for, on what she does.” There have to be “two parts to the analysis” for though a woman premier would “open doors, that’s not the end of the story.”'

Shes just doing diplomatic answers in irrelevant interviews. Shes a washout travel bum nowadays selling books or whatever.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I liked the spicy take that Hillary was clueless on Meloni and just gave a blanket statement about some female politician.

If Hillary knew her politics, then this statement is horrible without mentioning why. Is Meloni in US back pocket? Cause idk why you can praise anything she says.
    I didn't say that Hillary was clueless to anything. I said one of two things are probably going on with Hillary's statement re Meloni, neither of which are under the category of clueless.
    1. we're oversimplifying things and she has better information than the wonderkins on this site
    2. she's walking a fine line between supporting women in politics and avoiding a discussion/dive on fascism

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    'The election of the first woman prime minister in a country always represents a break with the past, and that is certainly a good thing. But then, as with any leader, woman or man, she must be judged by what she does. I never agreed with Margaret Thatcher, but I admired her determination. Clearly, then you vote on ideas.'

'Clinton repeated the same essential comments in a clip released by Sky’s tg24, part of an interview to go out on Friday evening. Prefacing her comments on Meloni saying she “doesn’t know much about her,” Clinton said, “every time a woman is elected to head of state or government, that is a step forward. Then that woman, like a man, has to be judged, on what she stands for, on what she does.” There have to be “two parts to the analysis” for though a woman premier would “open doors, that’s not the end of the story.”'

Shes just doing diplomatic answers in irrelevant interviews. Shes a washout travel bum nowadays selling books or whatever.
    Yeah, the quote in context essentially means two things: "Breaking gender barriers is good" and "Fuck that lady".

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    more <clap> womyn <clap> fascists <clap> in <clap> positions <clap> of <clap> power!

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account

Either that's taken out of context or she's started to go senile.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    It's no different than Palin, Greene or Boebert or frankly, even Thatcher. Get a woman to be the face of your regressive bullshit, ???, profit!
    Huh? Thatcher was definitely *not* hand-picked for political points. What are you talking about? Thatcher was under attack from almost all sides for a large part of her tenure, for all different reasons. She was a soulless lunatic, but you do have to somewhat admire the sheer power of will it took for her to fight down all of her detractors and push legislation.

How do we get someone like that, but they're not a soulless lunatic? That sounds swell.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    They're against giving handouts.

They absolutely love getting them.
    You just described every conservative ever.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    You just described every conservative ever.
    Then I succeeded in my goal.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

So many Hillary stans.

Who cares if she is the first woman elected. Jeeeez! She really seems to be a fascist piece of bleep. Her rhetoric toward accepting migrants and fringe communities is at leas disturbing. Meloni dips her toes into many questionable things so you don't need to give credit to her gender. A piece of bleep is a piece of bleep, no matter what they accomplishing.

10+ Year Old Account
    So many Hillary stans.

Who cares if she is the first woman elected. Jeeeez! She really seems to be a fascist piece of bleep. Her rhetoric toward accepting migrants and fringe communities is at leas disturbing. Meloni dips her toes into many questionable things so you don't need to give credit to her gender. A piece of bleep is a piece of bleep, no matter what they accomplishing.

The problematic part is you linked Mark Ames, unprompted, to make the thread about your beef with Hillary. Is he your regular news feed guy?

He's a know fabulist, sex pest, and sexual harasser. In his own words, from his autobiographical book;

Of all the people spreading BEn Shapiro's meme. You choose to "stan" boost Mark Ames. Maybe you just hadnt scrolled down to the MAtt Tiabbi or Grayzone feeds yet.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Halloween Voter View Post
    The problematic part is you linked Mark Ames, unprompted, to make the thread about your beef with Hillary. Is he your regular news feed guy?

He's a know fabulist, sex pest, and sexual harasser. In his own words, from his autobiographical book;

Of all the people spreading BEn Shapiro's meme. You choose to "stan" boost Mark Ames. Maybe you just hadnt scrolled down to the MAtt Tiabbi or Grayzone feeds yet.
    Jeezus, the article is from the frikin The Atlantic. Reported by Ruth Ben-Ghiat!! Stop worrying about the tweet and look at the article.

Clinton repeated the same essential comments in a clip released by Sky’s tg24, part of an interview to go out on Friday evening. Prefacing her comments on Meloni saying she “doesn’t know much about her,” Clinton said, “every time a woman is elected to head of state or government, that is a step forward. Then that woman, like a man, has to be judged, on what she stands for, on what she does.” There have to be “two parts to the analysis” for though a woman premier would “open doors, that’s not the end of the story.”

In all fairness, Clinton probably doesn’t know much about Meloni, and chose a diplomatic answer; she also told Il Corriere that women leaders are often backed by right-wing parties because such women “are often the first to support the basic pillars of male power and privilege.” It is unclear whether their “determination,” like Thatcher’s, is itself admirable. But if, as Clinton says, Meloni has to be judged “like a man” on how she governs, it’s also important to understand why her election will close doors for women.

Once more, above is from Jacobin, written/reported by David Broder. In my honestly I don't know anything about the news publisher or this person. But this is from a tweet (video included) of the her quote.

https://twitter.com/SkyTG24/status/1...AyIXqFS3JSc_sQ

Jeezus, the article is from the frikin The Atlantic. Reported by Ruth Ben-Ghiat!! Stop worrying about the tweet and look at the article.
    Yeah, I looked at it, noticed the quote was incomplete, and then, based on the complete quoted, understood what she was actually saying. Weird how what she was actually saying conflicted so much with the bullshit you (and that author) were trying to foist on everyone. Just look at this nonsense:

Is Meloni in US back pocket?
    We get it. Democrats are bad, the US is evil, clinton is literally satan, blah blah blah. This is the type of garbage I was talking about when I said your rhetoric is indistinguishable from 5th column activity.

The extent to which a conversation about an Italian election is dominated by argument about what a failed American Presidential candidate did or didn't say about her is really pretty remarkable.