Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    You're more than welcome to go through my posting history to see my views of overly positive 10/10 IMDB scores.

However, I should point out that when the company is about to knowingly drop a turd they'll not bribe reviewers but simply prevent them from having early access.
    Well, "dropping turds" would be quite a far stretch, but of the recent, controversial ones, I'd like to point out TLOU2 and Horizon2:FW.
    These two were certainly promoted by people on a payroll.
    Horizon reviews were especially distinct in that regard, as they carbon-copied the comparison between Horizon and Mass Effect 2 very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    Well, "dropping turds" would be quite a far stretch, but of the recent, controversial ones, I'd like to point out TLOU2 and Horizon2:FW.
    These two were certainly promoted by people on a payroll.
    Horizon reviews were especially distinct in that regard, as they carbon-copied the comparison between Horizon and Mass Effect 2 very often.
    And both have strong reviews in general. Horizon even has strong user reviews on top of that. Generally if you see a reviewer that has a history of overly strong reviews , you're more than welcome to file them under marketing.

Let's take it up a notch and say that almost nobody cares about no scores sides revenue scores.
    You might just look at WC3: Refunded online audience's scores, or the recent GTA: Failogy: Remastered scores.
    I don't think for a split second that either Blizzard or Rockstar gave a shit about scores or took critique to heart.
    You'll notice that both of your examples were also roundly panned by critics and the media, not just a bunch of losers throwing a fit on Twitter while crying that everyone else spends too much time on Twitter.

You certainly can't, because that's how it is: women can, and constantly do choose , literally choose, whom to appoint as a father.
    In my country you are supposed to prove in court that you didn't know at the moment of childbirth that the child wasn't yours, completely unwilfully.
    I do not wish to derail the thread, so if you please, go and read some on the matter.
    Like I said, if you think that a woman can just walk out into the hallway and point at some stranger and declare that person the father, I don't really know what to tell you, except that therapy is cheaper than the trouble you are going to get yourself in living with these kinds of delusions.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    You'll notice that both of your examples were also roundly panned by critics and the media, not just a bunch of losers throwing a fit on Twitter while crying that everyone else spends too much time on Twitter.
    That was surely noticed by me, and very much pleasing, as these games were not worthy of no praise nor revenue they acclaimed.
    Though I won't deny, the drama around special needs people being serious with claiming stuff like "Name at least one game character who had it tougher than Ellie" was exhilarating and hilarious at the same time.
    Like I said, if you think that a woman can just walk out into the hallway and point at some stranger and declare that person the father, I don't really know what to tell you, except that therapy is cheaper than the trouble you are going to get yourself in living with these kinds of delusions.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternity_fraud
    Dig in, help yourself.

Let's take Finland for example:

Finland
    The default in Finnish law as of 2018 is that the husband is the acknowledged father of the child who is born into wedlock (or to a deceased husband). Only if the wife agrees, can that initial determination be set to something else. However, from 2016 the general right the mother to solely allow or prevent the parental investigation was abolished. The default and immediately forcing juridical assumption of paternity of a husband was not changed in the latest 2015 act.

A man can bring up a later legal action to annul his paternity, disregarding of the resistance of his wife. The legal action for annulment may be brought in the district court by a man whose paternity has been determined on the basis of either marriage or by some other authoritative decision. However, the ruling of the court can be pretty much anything and the UN declaration of children's rights are not followed.

A man who has officially acknowledged paternity relinquishes his rights to further actions if he, knowing the woman had a sexual intercourse with another man, or that she has used foreign sperm for fertilization, has stated in writing following birth of the child that the child is biologically his.

Otherwise legally binding prebirth acknowledgment of a man must be rejected, if either the health care staff of the child supervisor do have a founded suspicion that the man is not a father of the child, or he is for any reason not capable to understand what he is doing when acknowledging the paternity.

If a mother deliberately gives false information to the authorities, which contributes to the erroneous establishment of paternity, she may be fined
    Hells, the Family Codex of Russian Federation would be a great example.
    Paragraph 48, point 2 states that, if the child is born 300 standard days later after divorce, then ex-husband is enlisted as a father automatically.
    You might say that it is quite a good paragraph, but the trick is that pregnancy lasts no more than 270 days.
    Which begs the question.
    Last edited by Fortress of Arrogance; 2022-09-27 at 02:58 PM.

That was surely noticed by me, and very much pleasing, as these games were not worthy nor praise no revenue they acclaimed.
    Though I won't deny, the drama around special needs people being serious with claiming stuff like "Name at least one game character who had it tougher than Ellie" was exhilarating and hilarious at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternity_fraud
    Dig in, help yourself.

Let's take Finland for example:
    Nothing you posted says that a woman can choose random strangers and declare them the father. In fact, what you posted pretty thoroughly lays out that at multiple junctions the man has recourse and the woman can be penalized for lying.
    -ynnady

Nothing you posted says that a woman can choose random strangers and declare them the father. In fact, what you posted pretty thoroughly lays out that at multiple junctions the man has recourse and the woman can be penalized for lying.
    Can be penalized, or can flinch the penance away, if you were to check on a few examples provided in the article.
    Nothing abstains woman from naming literally anyone as a father. Nothing. Nothing abstains women from committing adultery and bearing children from another man and still enlisting husbands as biological fathers.
    It falls on the, let's say, accused man to prove he's innocent of inseminating the woman, OR, being enlisted completely unwillfully, over quite a short period of time.
    Last edited by Fortress of Arrogance; 2022-09-27 at 03:08 PM.

Can be penalized, or can flinch the penance away, if you were to check on a few examples provided in the article.
    Nothing abstains woman from naming literally anyone as a father. Nothing. Nothing abstains women from committing adultery and bearing children from another man and still enlisting husbands as biological fathers.
    It falls on the, let's say, accused man to prove he's innocent of inseminating the woman, OR, being enlisted completely unwillfully, over quite a short period of time.
    Nothing you posted said a woman can name a random stranger as the father and then he has to prove otherwise. It actually said quite the opposite, and indicates there are penalties for lying. I just double checked Finnish law, and this is really simple:

A woman has a child, two things can happen:

1. If she is married, the husband is acknowledged as the father.
    2. If she is not married, she can name the father.

If #1 happens and the husband believes he is not the father, he has the right to challenge that in court.
    If #2 happens, one of two things happens:

1. The man acknowledges and accepts legally the status of being the father.
    2. A court investigates and makes a determination.

If the woman lies during this process, there are penalties.

That's it. There is no "Point at a random person and magically they are the father". This is delusion at best, and a creepy obsession by a terminally online weirdo at worst.
    -ynnady

Nothing you posted said a woman can name a random stranger as the father and then he has to prove otherwise. It actually said quite the opposite, and indicates there are penalties for lying. I just double checked Finnish law, and this is really simple:

If #1 happens and the husband believes he is not the father, he has the right to challenge that in court.

That's it. There is no "Point at a random person and magically they are the father". This is delusion at best, and a creepy obsession by a terminally online weirdo at worst.
    the route 2(If she is not married, she can name the father.)->1(The man acknowledges and accepts legally the status of being the father.) means literally that. She can name a random person, you said it yourself.
    The route 1(If she is married, the husband is acknowledged as the father.)->1(The man acknowledges and accepts legally the status of being the father.) means she can commit adultery and give birth to a, so to say, "bastard", and the "father" may well foster an alien child, UNLESS, he doesn't believe in his wife's fidelity, and requests a DNA test.

the route 2(If she is not married, she can name the father.)->1(The man acknowledges and accepts legally the status of being the father.) means literally that. She can name a random person, you said it yourself.
    He has to ACKNOWLEDGE AND ACCEPT IT to be named the father. What part of that do you not understand?

The route 1(If she is married, the husband is acknowledged as the father.)->1(The man acknowledges and accepts legally the status of being the father.) means she can commit adultery and give birth to a, so to say, "bastard", and the "father" may well foster an alien child, UNLESS, he doesn't believe in his wife's fidelity, and requests a DNA test.
    Correct, the husband is default named the father and if he suspects there is something wrong, he can challenge it. What's the problem?

Husbands can challenge it.
    Non-husbands aren't named the father unless they agree to it or a court adjudicates it.
    Women who lie are punished.

Where is the problem?!?!
    -ynnady

I don't know you, at all, so don't take this as a personal attack. What is a "terminally online" person? Never heard of that terminology before. I do have a degree of mastery over the English language so I can infer what it means, with some assumptions. What I do know well is arithmetic though. So let's do some shall we?

16,762 posts over 13 years means ((16,672 / (13x365)) = 3.5 posts per day, on average, for 13 years straight. Now, the way statistics and averages work that doesn't mean you have been religiously posting 3-4 posts per day for 4,745 days, some days you might write 15 posts, some days 0, but on AVERAGE, you've been typing out 3.5 posts per day for 13 years straight.

Wouldn't that fall under your "terminally online" adjective? (assuming I am correct in its meaning, which I may not be).

Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    Film Crit Hulk finally put out an essay on Ms Marvel, but I feel like the intro is also very relevant for this thread
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/ms-marvel-disney-72340954
    Don't know why it opened the thread to the page this was on, but I found it funny.

The critic (which shows why people don't listen to them) attempts to say that shows like Ms Marvel (and She Hulk) are showing film studios reaching audiences that are more than white men. I suppose they probably are to some degree, however each of them seems to get progressively worse and worse and their ratings and revenue go down and down as well.

Not exactly a winning strategy.

Maybe what the critic is missing, and what a lot of the people in this thread miss, is that stories should be written about general human stories that are not tailored to subsets of people based on their skin color, religion, sexual orientation.

I can get as much out of a story about a young asian girl (all things I am not) going through hardships and overcoming obstacles, IF the story is universal and actually speaks to people as people, not specifically as young asian girls.

If I write a story about a brave young man who wanted to stand up to bullies and was given the chance to become strong enough to do so while still trying to retain the core of the person he is, that story is universal and it doesn't matter what gender, race, sexual orientation you are. We can all put ourselves into Captain America's shoes and see parts of it apply to our life.

If I write a story about a black man from Alabama who has the exact same family structure as me, having to deal with over the top racism and bigotry and his sister's issues with getting money, then I limit the number of people who can empathize with my character.

The reason so many movies that do well have white leads is because those movies are not written about their whiteness. They are written about universal stories and ideas that apply to everyone. The reason She Hulk isn't doing well is because it is literally a show about the annoyances faced by the 30 something (or more) writers plastered onto a 2 dimensional protagonist where the only people that can empathize with her are the writers themselves. It is such a self-insert that it speaks to no one but the author. The mundane experiences in the show only matter to the same people whose mundane lives those experiences were pulled from.

They didn't write a character that everyone could empathize with. They wrote themselves, and they are boring.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody cares about online audience scores. The fact that you think that anyone cares about that is incredibly sad. Do you also think that Blizzard is making decisions based on polls on this website?
    You're kidding right? Do you know how much effort studios have put in to remove bad audience scores, limited who can review their media, and inflating their scores on multiple sites to try to not discourage people from watching their shows and movies?

The studios care about audience scores quite a bit. Whether they should or not, I don't know as I don't use them to determine what I watch, but it seems like either a lot of people do, or the studios believe a lot of people do, because their actions show it matters.

That's like saying studios don't care about reviews by Youtubers...... the amount of money a lot of youtubers get offered to review shows and movies well... I think they care quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    I can get as much out of a story about a young asian girl (all things I am not) going through hardships and overcoming obstacles, IF the story is universal and actually speaks to people as people, not specifically as young asian girls.
    Ms Marvel isn’t a story about a young Asian girl.

It’s a story about a super hero fan and gamer, who gets superpowers and now gets to be a hero like their idol. Or is that not universal enough for you?

It’s a story about a super hero fan and gamer, who gets superpowers and now gets to be a hero like their idol. Or is that not universal enough for you?
    It's really a self-report that some people see a story about a superhero fanatic who feels disconnected from her family and ultimately discovers herself connecting to her family's roots and becoming like her idol....and they feel like they cant connect to it because she's an asian muslim.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    I don't know you, at all, so don't take this as a personal attack. What is a "terminally online" person? Never heard of that terminology before. I do have a degree of mastery over the English language so I can infer what it means, with some assumptions. What I do know well is arithmetic though. So let's do some shall we?

16,762 posts over 13 years means ((16,672 / (13x365)) = 3.5 posts per day, on average, for 13 years straight. Now, the way statistics and averages work that doesn't mean you have been religiously posting 3-4 posts per day for 4,745 days, some days you might write 15 posts, some days 0, but on AVERAGE, you've been typing out 3.5 posts per day for 13 years straight.

Wouldn't that fall under your "terminally online" adjective? (assuming I am correct in its meaning, which I may not be).
    As someone with a degree in mastery over English, I would expect you to know the dangers of taking a specified multi-word term and assuming its meaning is a combination of the literal definitions of the words, rather than having its own meaning:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_online

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know why it opened the thread to the page this was on, but I found it funny.

The critic (which shows why people don't listen to them) attempts to say that shows like Ms Marvel (and She Hulk) are showing film studios reaching audiences that are more than white men. I suppose they probably are to some degree, however each of them seems to get progressively worse and worse and their ratings and revenue go down and down as well.

Not exactly a winning strategy.

Maybe what the critic is missing, and what a lot of the people in this thread miss, is that stories should be written about general human stories that are not tailored to subsets of people based on their skin color, religion, sexual orientation.

If I write a story about a brave young man who wanted to stand up to bullies and was given the chance to become strong enough to do so while still trying to retain the core of the person he is, that story is universal and it doesn't matter what gender, race, sexual orientation you are. We can all put ourselves into Captain America's shoes and see parts of it apply to our life.

If I write a story about a black man from Alabama who has the exact same family structure as me, having to deal with over the top racism and bigotry and his sister's issues with getting money, then I limit the number of people who can empathize with my character.

The reason so many movies that do well have white leads is because those movies are not written about their whiteness. They are written about universal stories and ideas that apply to everyone. The reason She Hulk isn't doing well is because it is literally a show about the annoyances faced by the 30 something (or more) writers plastered onto a 2 dimensional protagonist where the only people that can empathize with her are the writers themselves. It is such a self-insert that it speaks to no one but the author. The mundane experiences in the show only matter to the same people whose mundane lives those experiences were pulled from.

They didn't write a character that everyone could empathize with. They wrote themselves, and they are boring.
    A young person who is disconnected from their family and feels like the black sheep, but ultimately finds fulfillment through a fuller understand of their family's history, which turns out to be more in line with their personality, interests, and outlooks than they could ever possibly have imagined.... that's incredibly universal. To say that it is not universal because it is about an asian muslim girl is just rank bigotry.

You're kidding right? Do you know how much effort studios have put in to remove bad audience scores, limited who can review their media, and inflating their scores on multiple sites to try to not discourage people from watching their shows and movies?

The studios care about audience scores quite a bit. Whether they should or not, I don't know as I don't use them to determine what I watch, but it seems like either a lot of people do, or the studios believe a lot of people do, because their actions show it matters.

That's like saying studios don't care about reviews by Youtubers...... the amount of money a lot of youtubers get offered to review shows and movies well... I think they care quite a bit.
    nobody cares about you thirteen terminally online weirdos.
    -ynnady

nobody cares about you thirteen terminally online weirdos.
    Apparently you do.

And to pretend Ms Marvel is anything but an author self insert, when the AUTHOR has said it was. The character is a knock off of a knock off of a knock off written for the author by the author about her own personal experience.

Self disception is always the most insidious.

He has to ACKNOWLEDGE AND ACCEPT IT to be named the father. What part of that do you not understand?

Correct, the husband is default named the father and if he suspects there is something wrong, he can challenge it. What's the problem?

Husbands can challenge it.
    Non-husbands aren't named the father unless they agree to it or a court adjudicates it.
    Women who lie are punished.

Where is the problem?!?!
    I won't go any more with this, we're offtopic as is.
    I can lead a horse near the watersource, but I cannot make it drink.

I won't go any more with this, we're offtopic as is.
    I can lead a horse near the watersource, but I cannot make it drink.
    Correct, you can make a nonsensical argument and provide no evidence whatsoever for it, but you can't force anyone to buy into your delusions. Thank god. There is a reason that you literally can't explain what the problem is.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently you do.

And to pretend Ms Marvel is anything but an author self insert, when the AUTHOR has said it was. The character is a knock off of a knock off of a knock off written for the author by the author about her own personal experience.

People write characters that are reflective of their own experiences? Wow, what a crazy idea.

Is the character a "knock off" or is she so unique to one particular demographic that nobody else can empathize with her? You aren't even internally coherent.
    -ynnady

Apparently you do.

The Thing is a self-insert for Jack Kirby. Why does this get a pass?

Ms Marvel is still a super hero fan girl and gamer who likes her family but they have trouble relating to each other. Just because G. Willow Wilson strongly relates to this isn’t relevant.

She-Hulk is not a self insert because most of the personality features you see in the show were laid down by John Byrne.

I mean, it does depend on a lot of factors, and varies by the watcher. I enjoyed Ms Marvel very much, but Turning Red lasted 10 minutes and it was a struggle, and you could reduce either of them to "young asian girl dealing with culturally linked metaphysical changes" or something if you wanted to go that route.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I mean, it does depend on a lot of factors, and varies by the watcher. I enjoyed Ms Marvel very much, but Turning Red lasted 10 minutes and it was a struggle, and you could reduce either of them to "young asian girl dealing with culturally linked metaphysical changes" or something if you wanted to go that route.
    Turning Red has a specific parable that’s heavily weighted towards women. I haven’t seen it but I doubt it would bother me.

Ms Marvel is not. She’s a gamer nerd with a favourite super hero. It’s pretty easy to insert any poster on this forum into her shoes. I have a medallion from my great-great Grandfather. Maybe it will unlock the old spirits of Gaelic mythology (who are actually from another dimension) and give me super powers (that I really had latently) and then I’ll be a super hero and save the world.

As someone with a degree in mastery over English, I would expect you to know the dangers of taking a specified multi-word term and assuming its meaning is a combination of the literal definitions of the words, rather than having its own meaning:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_online

Oh no, you misunderstood. My degree (as in, what I studied in Uni) is in Economics, not English. I was using the words differently - I have a measure of mastery over English would be a synonymous phrase. Helpful Wikipedia article you linked. I just find it quite hypocritical that someone with just under 17k posts on a fan-made gaming forum would call others out regarding internet media addiction. A bit of "Pot calling the kettle black" action going on here. I mean, my MMO-champion account is as old as yours, and I'm not even close to 1k posts.