Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Everything that you do in the game that wasn't intended by devs is an exploit, unless they confirm that it's ok. If they do, then you can call it a clever use of game mechanics.

It's their game, they get to decide what an exploit is, not you.
    Last edited by melzas; 2022-09-27 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakaryy View Post
    Both, I'd say. Hasn't stopped Blizz from revoking progress before. /shrug
    I'd doubt it though, realm first achieves did have some issues back in 2008.
    Even later.
    I saw a guy a few years ago with every Realm First Profession & Class for Cataclysm
    Like how?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i'll be honest i was working on what seems to be outdated information, as i haven't checked or bothered to really update how big of a team the classic devs are since the original 'classic realms' release which was the last time i played anything WoW related, and even just a cursory glance at news stuff around the TBCC launch didn't show anything meaningfully had changed, but if they do have a test team then it must be very small and not at all equipped to do the job necessary.
    They had testers even at the original 2019 launch.

Aggrend, Senior Test Lead:
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...eam-ama/260760
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

outside of being able to fly in northrend without cold weather flying, nothing there is 'exploiting', it's purely a 'clever use of game mechanics' as everything is functioning as it is supposed to function, it's just an interesting set of circumstances leading to the outcome that should have been fixed by blizzard but as we know they don't have a testing/QA team anymore so stuff like this will always slip through.
    The mental logic here is why our species is fucking doomed.

He cheated. he's not supposed to fly in WOTLK yet. He used a bug, and EXPLOITED it to his and ONLY his benefit. This is textbook shit that would get caught, but he stole a realm first. You can't give it to anyone else who did it fairly.

You also vote for Trump and support his attempted coup? Clever use of judicial mechanics? Anything else clever? Jesus. Overlooking bad because you agree with it or are too ignorant to understand isn't an excuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Massive failure by Wrath Classic devs. I suppose this is what we expect these days.

Funny exploit, but an exploit nonetheless.

That said, people are giving too much importance to something so minor as realm first achievements on Wotlk classic. Does it really matter that much?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    The mental logic here is why our species is fucking doomed.

He cheated. he's not supposed to fly in WOTLK yet. He used a bug, and EXPLOITED it to his and ONLY his benefit. This is textbook shit that would get caught, but he stole a realm first. You can't give it to anyone else who did it fairly.

You also vote for Trump and support his attempted coup? Clever use of judicial mechanics? Anything else clever? Jesus. Overlooking bad because you agree with it or are too ignorant to understand isn't an excuse.
    i'm not american, so can't vote on something if i'm not a citizen, second, i would never vote for such an asshat even if i was able to vote on the subject, third, what he perpetrated should be considered a violation of human rights, and he should be locked away for the rest of his days, any all wealth removed and redistributed to the government, his family should all be left with nothing as a result of their actions (or inaction), and lastly, why would you make yourself look like such as ass by assuming that everyone who posts here lives in the wealthiest third world country on the planet?

as to your other asinine point, i may have chosen the wrong words to describe what i was trying to point out, and you failed epically to understand the point being made, but my point is a valid one, come back when you have some degree of understanding thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Funny exploit, but an exploit nonetheless.

That said, people are giving too much importance to something so minor as realm first achievements on Wotlk classic. Does it really matter that much?
    apparently the pubeless wonders here think it does, and are being butthurt over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    We'll see what Blizzard decides to do?

Maybe someone will say something publicly?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    We'll see what Blizzard decides to do?

Maybe someone will say something publicly?
    What can they do? Realistically? Remove the realm first and give it to the 2nd guy?
    I'm sure most ppl trying for it, stopped the moment realm popped up.
    So just giving it to 2nd that got there isn't fair or correct either.

My guess? They'll do nothing but fix the bug and call it a day.

as to your other asinine point, i may have chosen the wrong words to describe what i was trying to point out, and you failed epically to understand the point being made, but my point is a valid one
    You can't just magically say that your point is valid because you so choose. Otherwise it's the same if I said it, means nothing.

To use an advantage that is not expected or intended, a bug, in this case because it's clear from your own admission that QA missed this, is an exploit. Worse, an exploit that is not only 100% selfish, but ACTIVELY denies anyone else who attempted it, and it will never be properly awarded to someone who became max herbalism under proper circumstances.

I can't believe you support this. It's a flaw in your character, i promise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I laugh when people think WOTLK was gonna be hard, people getting world first 80 within few hours xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

It became exploiting when the bug was intentionally abused to get server first.

outside of being able to fly in northrend without cold weather flying, nothing there is 'exploiting', it's purely a 'clever use of game mechanics' as everything is functioning as it is supposed to function, it's just an interesting set of circumstances leading to the outcome that should have been fixed by blizzard but as we know they don't have a testing/QA team anymore so stuff like this will always slip through.
    So inside not being able to fly till 77 it is an exploit. I guess we won't know for sure until someone reports him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

i'm gonna use you as the punching bag to respond to everyone who has tried to berate me for calling this a loophole and not an exploit, and i'm going to try and explain why that is to the best of my ability and hope people are smart enough to see the point being made.

as i said previously:

warlock summoning worked as it was intended to work
    druid flight form worked as it was intended to work

these things are factually correct, what you and every other person who responded to me trying to mock me has failed to identify, is that the druid player never used the shapeshift ability while in northrend, why is this key?, because the 'checks and balances' test for flight in northrend is the 'cold weather flying' ability that you purchase at the flight trainer in dalaran and unlock at lvl 77, this is a loophole that bypasses that particular block, meaning that if the druid player had been summoned to northrend and had used the shapeshift skill for flight form and was still able to fly around without cold weather flying, then that would constitute an exploit, as it was working not as intended, however since the check was never performed, nothing was exploited, by all means try to argue semantics but it's a very clear distinction to make that this is using a loophole to gain an advantage and it's on blizzard to close that loophole and while you can argue over the morality of using such a thing to gain an advantage, ultimately nothing was used incorrectly, nothing was actually exploited in a way the game isn't intended to function.
    And you're wrong. If the check never happened, that means it did not work as intended, this constitutes a bug. And since it's not intended for anyone to able to fly before getting "cold weather flying", that means the player took advantage of this bug, which constitutes as an exploit.

What you're basically saying is that it's not a crime to invade any home and take anything you want if the doors aren't locked properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuibus View Post
    It became exploiting when the bug was intentionally abused to get server first.
    No, no it didn't. It becomes an exploit when blizzard says its an exploit and not before.
    They are incredible ínconcistent on these matters and until blizzard deems it an exploit, as pointed out by several other posters, you do it as part of "clever game mechanics" or you're not even in the race. This wasn't some super hidden world first secret that only this guy knew about

And has blizzard came out and said anything? Pretty telling if they haven't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    What you're basically saying is that it's not a crime to invade any home and take anything you want if the doors aren't locked properly.
    I just want to remind you this is a video game, a 15 year old version at that.
    Nothing is an exploit until blizzard says so, until then, its clever use of game mechanics, thats how its always worked for nearly 2 decades now.

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    "clever game mechanics"
    "clever use of game mechanics" generally still uses an exploit, just not in an intentionally abusive manner. Blizzard deems things "exploiting" after intent is factored in.

"The key factor here is intent. Did the player do something with the specific intention of causing a glitch to occur, and did they do it order to exploit said glitch for their own benefit?"

I got cataclysm realm first herbalism in just under 45 minutes, so super speeds can be done. However a bit sad someone used a flight form exploit. That could have ruined some people’s legitimate chance of getting it.

No, no it didn't. It becomes an exploit when blizzard says its an exploit and not before.
    They are incredible ínconcistent on these matters and until blizzard deems it an exploit, as pointed out by several other posters, you do it as part of "clever game mechanics" or you're not even in the race. This wasn't some super hidden world first secret that only this guy knew about

And has blizzard came out and said anything? Pretty telling if they haven't.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing is an exploit until blizzard says so, until then, its clever use of game mechanics, thats how its always worked for nearly 2 decades now.
    I think it was a secret that only he knew about. It's kind of obvious after the fact but no one else did it.

It's not telling that blizzard has said nothing. They might be deciding what to do. Do they delete the herbs. What if he sold them. Delete them and the gold? Give the gold back? Can the buyers be expected to know they were "stolen" goods? Do they get a ban too? Do we need a fix? Do we allow others to do the same? Will the fix break something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

the technical term is a loophole!
    except that's exactly the case, the only thing that's not working as it's intended to be used is the ability to fly in northrend without cold weather flying unlocked
    I think you're struggling with what an exploit is.

To exploit is to use a bug to your advantage. This has been the definition at least since the days of text-based MUDs in the early '90s, and it was against the rules then too.

Is it a bug that he is able to fly in an area that requires a special skill to fly in without possessing that skill? Of course. By definition.

Did he use it to his advantage? Absolutely and without a doubt.

Did he know that the behavior he was using to his advantage was a bug? This is the only one that the jury is still out on, but given it is a decade old expansion and the circumstances require a peculiar setup--ie, getting summoned while in flight form but then going off and herbing instead of doing content that a summon might have been justified for--I'd call this one a yes.

He was exploiting, plain and simple. The only real question is how much anybody should care about it, and thus what punishment, if any, there should be. I frankly care far less about his achievement than I do the economic exploitation of his advantage that is sure to follow.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

It is an exploit if it goes against the rules of the game.

And the rules say: "you cannot fly in Northrend before acquiring the 'Cold Weather Flying' skill and being level appropriate". And if you're flying in Northrend without that skill, and without being of the appropriate level, then it is an exploit. No "ifs" or "buts" about it.

You don't need Blizzard to tell you that. And you shouldn't. Because, again, it breaks the rules presented by the game to us.

Saying "you need Blizzard to tell you it's an exploit" is dishonest.

Also, age of the game doesn't matter. Especially if it's being re-worked to work on a new platform, which means new bugs can and likely will arise.