Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    According to who? You? Random forum poster #927-D?

Layering was developed before Classic was even introduced because they knew that traditional Vanilla era server populations would not provide a satisfactory experience for potential players, even on the new hardware. Had layering never been introduced the only possible solution to the population influx would be hundreds more servers than they launched with. Hundreds of servers which would have, undoubtedly, become ghost towns months after the population boom died down... forcing Blizzard to eventually consolidate and displace players at an even more rapid pace than they are now. Why on earth would Blizzard shoot themselves in the foot when there are technical solutions which achieve the same effect without the hugely negative side effect of having to merge and consolidate realms at some point in the future?

You are wrong, plain and simple. You do not know better than Blizzard's own server engineers and getting on a forum and writing weird fanfiction about the way you think they should have handled Classic helps approximately nobody.
    But you aren't disagreeing with me because you just reiterated what I already said which is that layering did not solve any of the issues people are complaining about. And it cannot change people's behaviors and, therefore, is primarily a benefit for Blizzard in not having to create so many servers, which leads them to put more people on individual servers which only makes the same problems they claim to be wanting to fix even worse.

Also none of that has anything to do with the fact that it is modern hardware that is the biggest determining factor in performance, not layering. To the point that on a classic server with vanilla pop caps and modern hardware, lag would not likely happen as often when large numbers of people are in one area. Hardware evolution is what is driving all of these performance increases, not layering by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    But you aren't disagreeing with me because you just reiterated what I already said which is that layering did not solve any of the issues people are complaining about. And it cannot change people's behaviors and, therefore, is primarily a benefit for Blizzard in not having to create so many servers, which leads them to put more people on individual servers which only makes the same problems they claim to be wanting to fix even worse.

Also none of that has anything to do with the fact that it is modern hardware that is the biggest determining factor in performance, not layering. To the point that on a classic server with vanilla pop caps and modern hardware, lag would not likely happen as often when large numbers of people are in one area. Hardware evolution is what is driving all of these performance increases, not layering by itself.
    Hey genius. If this issue could be solved by "modern hardware" they wouldn't have developed layering in the first place. You do not know better than Blizzard's own server engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    It is an apple to orange comparison between vanilla/classic servers. If you had a classic server with the same population limits as 2005 vanilla but running on modern 2022 hardware server specs, I am pretty sure there would not be the same lag as 2005. Of course there is no way to know for sure because that kind of server does not literally exist. Of course there is still going to be lag once you pass some threshold in players even on that theoretical server regardless. But the 200 player number is just something I threw out as a benchmark.

- - - Updated - - -

See above. Same reply. Comparing retail to a classic server with 2005 vanilla population caps on modern 2022 hardware is an apples to oranges comparison.
    Except I’m not… I literally gave an example of this expansion
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

layering exists because the game cannot handle high ammounts of people in the same zone without crashing or lagging as we saw back in vanilla classic with the pvp events that some streamers did

its necessary nowadays for stability

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    We all have a freedom for opinion, how much hours do you play this game daily basis? You might not like it but i play quite a bit and done most content ingame.
    I seen people come and go, i sure can have an opinion when i experienced a game with and without layering.
    Doesn't make me wrong...... Just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should

I rather have a world that is overcrowded that feels like im actually experiencing a magical world that WoW once fell like.
    I think most of you forgot how it feels like walking into areas that is populated that you actually feel part of an alive world.

Why you think FF14 is considered so popular atm? Because it's hell crowded anywhere. You can enjoy some actually chilling in the areas because other people are chilling too. But most of you in here rather wanna do non stop raiding and other instance content instead of enjoying the open world that WoW used to offer too.
    FF14 is so crap. Do not bring that garbage onto a conversation. It will not work with me. I hate that game and every single thing it is.

i dont think it makes much sense but people are going to gather inthe most convenient spots all day and night anyway sooooooooooooooooo ya gotta

Okay, then you have a choice between much smaller servers or abysmal framerate. Choose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by confety View Post
    layering exists because the game cannot handle high ammounts of people in the same zone without crashing or lagging as we saw back in vanilla classic with the pvp events that some streamers did

its necessary nowadays for stability
    The alternative is instancing. Its better to be able to select where you go and not have things vanish on approach because the game randomly pushes you around without your control.
    They likely went with layering because players were hating on instancing associating it with cheap asia mmos back when the decision was made.

I concur with that 100%!.

No you are one of the worst players a MMORPG can have. You expect to have smooth scaling from begin to end, hell i bet you even demand to see all content that is available. Even though you don't qualify for it.
    That is a pretty harsh statement to say. What do you mean by "qualify"? Why shouldn't people be allowed to all the contents available?

If I was a game developer, I would much prefer more people playing and enjoying content I created rather than less.

You know what to do with 20 dead realms? Merge them into one instead of milking them to dead because you don't wanna show the world ur deleting dead realms. That is the only reason CRZ/Layering exist.
    Yeah. I prefer they merge low population realms together. GuildWars does this. So I can only assume either they don't want to or they cannot.

But some people prefer to a low density. Just as some people prefer crowds while others do not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine no layers in WoW ...

WoW Servers can't handle 60 ppl on WB, so imagine 250 ppl

have you seen the elemental bosses from the event ? it's pushing the performances a bit too much, and it's with layering...
    and let's not even talk about the fact that most mobs are 5 tagged and grey the moment they pop, and only elites can be looted in mass events like this >_<

OP has no idea how servers, PCs, players, and technology in general work.

A bunch of people concentrated in a single place is the worst case scenario in mmorpgs and without a hard limit somewhere, situations prone to bring the servers to a grind are bound to happen.

Remember when it used to happen and everyone was like "why aren't they doing anything about it????". Well "doing something about it" is this, it's a hard limit on how many players can be at the same place.