Overwatch 2 Ready Check: Prepare for Launch!

Overwatch 2 Ready Check: Prepare for Launch!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Overwatch 2 is almost here! There are a few things to know ahead of its official launch on October 4. We have a new SMS Protection requirement that’s important to understand in order to play, so please read thoroughly and take the steps listed to ready your account so you can jump in and play right away once the game is live!

Overwatch 2 is anticipated to be live worldwide at approximately 12:00 p.m. PDT on October 4.

Overwatch 2 is almost here! There are a few things to know ahead of its official launch on October 4. We have a new SMS Protection requirement that’s important to understand in order to play, so please read thoroughly and take the steps listed to ready your account so you can jump in and play right away once the game is live!

Launch Checklist for Existing Players and Watchpoint Pack owners

• REQUIRED TO PLAY: Activate SMS Protection—As part of our free-to-play transition, all players must attach an eligible cell phone number to their Battle.net Account to play Overwatch 2. This is part of our Defense Matrix initiative, a multi-pronged system to combat disruptive in-game behavior. You can read more about the Defense Matrix here. Here's how to activate SMS protection on your account:
      • Visit https://account.battle.net/ and log in. Navigate to "Account Details".
      • Add your phone number, including the area code, where it says, "Phone Number". Please note, country code is restricted to the designated country listed on your Blizzard account and certain types of phone numbers, including pre-paid and VOIP, cannot be used for SMS Protect.
      • Click "Continue". You'll receive an incoming SMS text message prompting you with a verification code. Enter this code in the field and click "Continue" to activate SMS protection. More info on adding a phone number to your account can be found here.

• Pre-download Overwatch 2—To ensure you’re able to play right away on launch day, make sure you’ve got the game pre-loaded on your device!
      • For existing PC users and Watchpoint Pack owners on PC, Overwatch 2 can be pre-downloaded starting at approximately 1:30 p.m. PDT on September 30 and is a ~50 GB download. This download will happen automatically in the background if you have automatic updates enabled on Battle.net, otherwise you must manually begin the download by clicking on the gear icon on the right side of the play button and selecting "Check for Updates".
      • For existing console users, this can be done starting at approximately 9:00 a.m. PDT on October 4 and is a ~30 GB download.

• Merge your accounts—With the launch of cross-progression, players can merge multiple Overwatch accounts to carry progression and in-game cosmetics into Overwatch 2 on a single profile. Existing players with multiple accounts must confirm their account merge to carry over progress from Overwatch into Overwatch 2. If you’ve only made progress in Overwatch on a single platform, no action is needed from you. For more information on Account Merge, check out our FAQ.

Launch Checklist for New Players

• REQUIRED TO PLAY: Activate SMS Protection—All players much attach an eligible cell phone number to their Battle.net Account to play Overwatch 2. This is part of our Defense Matrix, a multi-pronged system to combat disruptive behavior. You can read more about the Defense Matrix here. Here's how to activate SMS protection on your account:
      • Visit https://account.battle.net/ and log in. Navigate to "Account Details".
      • Add your phone number, including the area code, where it says, "Phone Number". Please note, country code is restricted to the designated country listed on your Blizzard account and certain types of phone numbers, including pre-paid and VOIP, cannot be used for SMS Protect.
      • Click "Continue". You'll receive an incoming SMS text message prompting you with a verification code. Enter this code in the field and click "Continue" to activate SMS protection. More info on adding a phone number to your account can be found here.

• Download Overwatch 2—For new console and PC users, this can be done at launch starting at approximately 12:00 p.m. PDT on October 4. The download size for console is ~30 GB and the download size for PC is ~50 GB.

Overwatch Servers Will Go Down Temporarily Before Launch

It’s no small feat to launch a video game! To do so for Overwatch 2, we’ll be taking the current version of Overwatch down starting at approximately 9:00 a.m. PDT on October 3. This means October 2 is your last full day to play the original Overwatch! Thanks for playing, and for your support as we celebrate Overwatch entering a bright and exciting new era.

With that, you’re all set! We look forward to grouping up with you soon in Overwatch 2!

Owning games? Pffftt what a dumb boomer thing. Streaming is "cheap" and "convenient", who cares if a game I like is removed, we only care about consooom, and then consooom newer things! Hail Microsoft/Sony! Giving my phone number to play a free videogame? Let's do it guys! Who cares about spying! Who cares about my freedom being eroded little by little! It will keep cheaters away! Hail Activision! You will own nothing and you WILL be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by VoidSeeker199X View Post
    Owning games? Pffftt what a dumb boomer thing. Streaming is "cheap" and "convenient", who cares if a game I like is removed, we only care about consooom, and then consooom newer things! Hail Microsoft/Sony! Giving my phone number to play a free videogame? Let's do it guys! Who cares about spying! Who cares about my freedom being eroded little by little! It will keep cheaters away! Hail Activision! You will own nothing and you WILL be happy!
    How are you honestly getting spied on for using your phone number as security?

Like, do you think jobs you apply to are spying on you now...?

7+ Year Old Account
    Guess i can't play it since i don't have a cell phone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the restriction apply to people have a physical authenticator already attached to their account?

edit: So I guess their infamous "Don't you people have phones" has now become "Fuck you if you don't have a cell phone". This is ridiculous, especially for anyone who purchased OW. Just let people who already own the game just bypass the requirement.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2022-09-29 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Does the restriction apply to people have a physical authenticator already attached to their account?
    Yes.

And its complete bullshit that they brought it in before ow2 actually launches.

forced to add sms protect or dont play a game ive paid for atm.

Sounds like it might be effective in culling smurf behaviour.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Sounds like it might be effective in culling smurf behaviour.
    if people were happy to pay the cost buy a new copy of overwatch in order to smurf, then they aren't going to sniff at paying £1 for a payasyougo simcard.

Quote Originally Posted by [Apok] View Post
    if people were happy to pay the cost buy a new copy of overwatch in order to smurf, then they aren't going to sniff at paying £1 for a payasyougo simcard.
    I mean, they said prepaid phones aren't accepted.

Unless I'm missing something, that would rule out any payasyougo phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I mean, they said prepaid phones aren't accepted.

Unless I'm missing something, that would rule out any payasyougo phones.
    It's dependant on where you are from, some pay as you go do work I think it's mainly us that don't.

Can I ask, what happened to that story/PvE mode they had advertised back when they revealed OW2 at Blizzcon? Scrapped?

"Defense matrix initiative" yeah ok Blizzard :P What's next, Skynet?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Can I ask, what happened to that story/PvE mode they had advertised back when they revealed OW2 at Blizzcon? Scrapped?
    In a recent post they said they'd reveal more about it next year.

It's not much but here is a link:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...locks-and-more

Under "What's Next"
    Last edited by Hotmail; 2022-10-03 at 11:26 AM.