Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    My "narrow view" is the definition of the term. There was even a warning about not taking a metaphor too literally.
    Still does not mean it was a good metaphor. Comparing apple to orange is not a metaphor even if they are both fruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Still does not mean it was a good metaphor. Comparing apple to orange is not a metaphor even if they are both fruits.
    It's not comparing apples and oranges.

It's comparing people that go into a restaurant to be disruptive and people that come into a forum to be disruptive.

And still my point remains "A forum is not a restaurant" is a bad way to point out that a metaphor is bad... since the whole idea behind a metaphor is to take two things that are not the same and make a comparison between them.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-10-01 at 08:33 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

It's not comparing apples and oranges.

It's comparing people that go into a restaurant to be disruptive and people that come into a forum to be disruptive.

And still my point remains "A forum is not a restaurant" is a bad way to point out that a metaphor is bad... since the whole idea behind a metaphor is to take two things that are not the same and make a comparison between them.
    Yes, and all metaphore are not good, which is the case here.

Yes, and all metaphore are not good, which is the case here.
    The case here is that your efforts to point out that the allegedly bad metaphor with the statement "A forum is not a restaurant" showed a complete and total lack of understanding of what a metaphor actually is... which leads one to think that maybe you aren't the best person to decide what is and what is not a good metaphor.

Also, I think what you were trying to say was "Not all metaphors are good" not "all metaphore are not good".

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Because I find interesting to see what are the arguments of the defenders of this trainwreck. I must say, I am not impressed as all I can see is that most people here have low standards.
    It's not a trainwreck, so what do you think there is to defend? As I've said, the only substantive criticism I have of the show is the weak CG of the main character herself. Aside from that, it's just a solid comedy show that happens to be about a superhero.

And since you're here arguing about the specifics of an analogy used to describe people's interaction with a website's forum for some godforsaken reason...I don't think you're in a particularly good position to condemn others for poor taste, low standards, or bad judgement.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-10-01 at 09:10 AM.

Could be just stop engaging with these people! Fortress, Fabinas and now Specialka, and before that it was still more people dropping by to pick up the troll baton. By their own words they have nothing to add here, yet we still get pages and pages and pages of people replying to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    this is EXACTLY what is happening here. your claims aside, you obviously do not like the show. yet you and people like you.. keep coming here. you keep coming to express yur negative opinions about the show you do not like, drowning out any. other. discussion.
    There are very few posters around here and they keep engaging in long arguments with anyone who has a negative opinion. It's arguing for the sake of arguing.
    So go ahead and discuss whatever you want about the show! if that discussion doesn't go anywhere it won't be because someone comes and writes down his negative opinion, it will be because those few posters will feel the urge to answer to that opinion point by point.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    yada yada yada funny, joke. If that's your argument, then a) opinions about funny and joke are opinions and count for nothing here, as you have clearly established. b) but you used to argue that Stark should have been crushed on that wall, so that then wasn't a joke? yay double standards when it fits. c) if you find funny people dropping on their face, then i guess your empathy sucks. People have died from awkward drops. And no, surviving ANY drop is not funny. Only kids and humanoids with animal thinking laugh. When people drop we should be worried, not laughing, even if the only consequence is just false tooth faces broken.
    A) Yes, because just because someone doesn't like a joke doesn't make it not a joke, or that the joke is poorly written. I stopped liking jokes on South Park, they were no longer funny for me and often came across as mean spirited rather than poking fun. Rather than go online and whine that South park is poorly written and what is the point of their jokes, I just stopped watching South Park.

B) It was a joke, the point of that argument which you don't seem to have understood is to point out that human do things in the MCU that in the real world would get them hurt. It was pointing out people arguing for your side's hypocrisy and now you are using it to say the other people are hypocrites. You totally misrepresented why that argument was made. This is purely dishonest here, you are mischaracterizing the argument.

C) So, you don't find the Three Stooges funny? All Slapstick isn't funny? People were wrong to find the show Jackass funny? People died from overeating, but overeating is still used for humor. People died in car accidents, but cars are still used for humor. Hell, people die in wars, but we still have war comedies. This argument is literally your worst yet and that is saying something.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-10-01 at 10:52 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    There are very few posters around here and they keep engaging in long arguments with anyone who has a negative opinion. It's arguing for the sake of arguing.
    So go ahead and discuss whatever you want about the show!
    Yes, when people make up lies about the show...they get called out for it. When people come to shit on the show just to ruin it for others...they will get called out.

There are people that have had legitimate complaints about how the show handled this thing or that thing. Those people don't get called out.

if that discussion doesn't go anywhere it won't be because someone comes and writes down his negative opinion, it will be because those few posters will feel the urge to answer to that opinion point by point.
    Alternatively, the people that don't like the show could just go and watch another show that they do like. So many of these posters are either just hate-watching the show so they can come on here and shit all over it...or they just aren't watching the show at all...and they're just regurgitating the opinions of whatever hatebait youtuber they have an unhealthy obsession with.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because I find interesting to see what are the arguments of the defenders of this trainwreck. I must say, I am not impressed as all I can see is that most people here have low standards.
    Arguing against bad arguments does not mean people like the show.

I have problems with The Last Jedi, but most of my time online is arguing against people misrepresenting it and lying about it. It doesn't mean I have low standards, it means I have standards for what is acceptable criticism. Which is just you have to honestly portray the show. A deliberate misrepresentation of what the show shows is not valid criticism.

You don't convince anyone who doesn't already agree with you by lying because once it comes out you lied, most people will discount your opinion.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    or they just aren't watching the show at all...and they're just regurgitating the opinions of whatever hatebait youtuber they have an unhealthy obsession with.
    To quote Christopher Waltz:
    That's a bingo!

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    if the restaurant doesn't work as a metaphor for you, how about something more on the nose - a book club. you know that things where people gather to discuss the same book that they have all read in a set period of time? some are in private homes, others are at the public place, our local library has 2 different ones going every month for example

I don't think I will ever understand anyone who habitually dislikes to outright hates the books being discuss and yet continues spending their time watching or reading every negative review about the chosen book and then coming to book club gatherings solely to trash those books. and the sad part is that cause those gatherings are at the public library short of outright bans, there isn't even a way to stop you all from continuing to show up and being disruptive

cause that's basically what some of you are doing to a degree that constantly drowns out any other conversation and it is honestly just sad. and exhausting.
    There's no need for metaphors. I am here to discuss a show i wanted to watch and now i find it below mediocre, compared to other MCU shows. I am interested in She-Hulk, especially in the fact that it's not a Jekyll and Hyde character and is supposedly one of the stronger heroes existing. Plus, MCU could go forward with her without the rights and licencing problems Banner Hulk has.

But, once more, the show is bad. For reasons i have posted. I'm ok with people disagreeing with me. What i am not ok is the constant attempts of bullying, with twisting rephrases of my comments, with vague dismissals, bad analogues, metaphors and examples of other media, and lastly, being attacked with ad hominems, being called a person with an agenda (also vaguely), a liar and various other stuff.

Why i keep watching this show? Because: 1. I am invested in MCU, 2. i want to see where the Superhero story arc of She Hulk is headed to, 3. I am paying already for D+, so why not.

See, i came to post here after the 4th or 5th episode. I have given time for it to grow on me. It's really bad and i am voicing my concerns, because i want to, on a space appropriate for it.

If some ppl here think this is their turf, it's their problem. I am not going away. Every time this show does something bad, i will be here,stating my opinion. Any attempt to shut me down furthers my resolve. And i will engage with anyone kicking back, instead of discussing, as i see fit, within the rules of conduct of this forum.

Also talking to walls is fun for the first two pages. Then the answers to walls will be just "no".

- - - Updated - - -

this is EXACTLY what is happening here. your claims aside, you obviously do not like the show. yet you and people like you.. keep coming here. you keep coming to express yur negative opinions about the show you do not like, drowning out any. other. discussion.

WHY? what are you trying to accomplish here? do you have so much free time that you willingly chose to spend it on something, continuously that YOU think is that badly done? what is the goal here other then being disruptive?
    This is not your forum. I am not disrupting anything by voicing my concerns. Which happen to be ongoing, almost with every episode. New concerns each week.

I will not be ousted because i happen to disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    A) Yes, because just because someone doesn't like a joke doesn't make it not a joke, or that the joke is poorly written. I stopped liking jokes on South Park, they were no longer funny for me and often came across as mean spirited rather than poking fun. Rather than go online and whine that South park is poorly written and what is the point of their jokes, I just stopped watching South Park.

B) It was a joke, the point of that argument which you don't seem to have understood is to point out that human do things in the MCU that in the real world would get them hurt. It was pointing out people arguing for your side's hypocrisy and now you are using it to say the other people are hypocrites. You totally misrepresented why that argument was made. This is purely dishonest here, you are mischaracterizing the argument.

C) So, you don't find the Three Stooges funny? All Slapstick isn't funny? People were wrong to find the show Jackass funny? People died from overeating, but overeating is still used for humor. People died in car accidents, but cars are still used for humor. Hell, people die in wars, but we still have war comedies. This argument is literally your worst yet and that is saying something.
    Just replying to c.The others are already answered before and i won't engage on cyclical discussions

What majority does doesn't mean it's mature, well meant or good spirited. Also does not ensure quality.

Personally, i stopped laughing with drops in my early adulthood. I don't even laugh when the person dropping is laughing themselves. I worry.

And Jackass and Slapstick is very very behind us now. You actually attributing that drop to slapstick shows how bad is this show. How childishly written it is. Because, only child brains laugh at an accident of another human being.
    /spit@Blizzard

7+ Year Old Account
    And Jackass and Slapstick is very very behind us now. You actually attributing that drop to slapstick shows how bad is this show. How childishly written it is. Because, only child brains laugh at an accident of another human being.
    And just because you don't like something doesn't make it not mature, well meant, or good spirited.

And you literally are using an ad hominem with the bolded point.

Titania is not "another human being." She is a fictional character in a comedy series. If you cannot separate fiction from reality, you aren't really in a position to comment on the maturity of others. We are not beyond slapstick, there are movies and series that continue to use it today. Jackass is only behind us because the people who created in are not in a position where they can keep doing it because of their age, they are trying to revive it with new casts.

And if you can't laugh when someone is laughing at themselves, I find that to be very sad and not a sign of maturity.
    –The Sith Code

There's no need for metaphors. I am here to discuss a show i wanted to watch and now i find it below mediocre, compared to other MCU shows. I am interested in She-Hulk, especially in the fact that it's not a Jekyll and Hyde character and is supposedly one of the stronger heroes existing. Plus, MCU could go forward with her without the rights and licencing problems Banner Hulk has.

But, once more, the show is bad. For reasons i have posted. I'm ok with people disagreeing with me. What i am not ok is the constant attempts of bullying, with twisting rephrases of my comments, with vague dismissals, bad analogues, metaphors and examples of other media, and lastly, being attacked with ad hominems, being called a person with an agenda (also vaguely), a liar and various other stuff.

Why i keep watching this show? Because: 1. I am invested in MCU, 2. i want to see where the Superhero story arc of She Hulk is headed to, 3. I am paying already for D+, so why not.

See, i came to post here after the 4th or 5th episode. I have given time for it to grow on me. It's really bad and i am voicing my concerns, because i want to, on a space appropriate for it.

If some ppl here think this is their turf, it's their problem. I am not going away. Every time this show does something bad, i will be here,stating my opinion. Any attempt to shut me down furthers my resolve. And i will engage with anyone kicking back, instead of discussing, as i see fit, within the rules of conduct of this forum.

Also talking to walls is fun for the first two pages. Then the answers to walls will be just "no".

- - - Updated - - -

This is not your forum. I am not disrupting anything by voicing my concerns. Which happen to be ongoing, almost with every episode. New concerns each week.

I will not be ousted because i happen to disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Just replying to c.The others are already answered before and i won't engage on cyclical discussions

What majority does doesn't mean it's mature, well meant or good spirited. Also does not ensure quality.

Personally, i stopped laughing with drops in my early adulthood. I don't even laugh when the person dropping is laughing themselves. I worry.

You spent hours arguing that the rules for Jen and Bruce are different and that that indicates bad writing, and then when it was pointed out to you that Bruce specifically stated that Jen's blood had healing power that exceeded his own, to the point where he used it to heal himself, you near-literally folded your arms and huffed and puffed out of the conversation, declaring that you were right all along. It was embarrassing then, and stepping away from the thread for a day or two and coming back like it never happened doesn't change that.

The bottom line is that someone who is here to honestly discusses the show simply states "Oh shit, I forgot Bruce said that, you were right and I was mistaken." But we all know that you aren't here to discuss the show honestly, so spare us the long, boring explanations of how bullied you are. You come in here, say objectively false shit, and then when called on it throw a little fit and storm out.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

This is incredibly pathetic.

Half of Tony Starks "building the suit" scenes in the very first MCU movie involve the audience laughing at him as he accidentally injures himself testing his equipment. And that's even without the context of this character in this show...who has been portrayed as a self-absorbed shitbag who the audience will be actively rooting against. So it's pretty rich that you're here whining about it being "mean-spirited" that she gets her comeuppance, when that character's entire purpose in the show so far is to be a mean-spirited foil for the protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    This is incredibly pathetic.

Half of Tony Starks "building the suit" scenes in the very first MCU movie involve the audience laughing at him as he accidentally injures himself testing his equipment. And that's even without the context of this character in this show...who has been portrayed as a self-absorbed shitbag who the audience will be actively rooting against. So it's pretty rich that you're here whining about it being "mean-spirited" that she gets her comeuppance, when that character's entire purpose in the show so far is to be a mean-spirited foil for the protagonist.
    It's amazing how "Remember when Tony rocketed himself into a concrete wall" has now refuted TWO DIFFERENT ARGUMENTS that this dude has made.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Episode 7 was definitely the best so far.
    As for the show as a whole, I'd rate it a solid 6.
    The layer stuff is pretty bad, and this coming from a guy who has zero idea of lawyering :P.
    It's a superho show, but I feel the superhero aspect is very much lacking, barring the first episode where there were a bit of a training montage.
    The humor is the only thing that I appreciate every episode!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    It's amazing how "Remember when Tony rocketed himself into a concrete wall" has now refuted TWO DIFFERENT ARGUMENTS that this dude has made.
    What is funny is he is using the fact we used it in the first argument to call us hypocrites in this one.
    –The Sith Code

Some of you people could argue pointless, idiot arguments until the heat death of the universe. Shut up, already. Nobody but you cares.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

But that's not what is happening here. People share their opinion of the show, sometimes with arguments and sometimes without. I have yet to see someone thrashing this show for fun. That does happen on the internet for sure, but i have yet to see it here.The show has poor writing, bad pace, and average acting. Not my fault if you have low standards.

- - - Updated - - -

A restaurant is a private place (as this forum is) where you come to buy and consume a product. I have yet to see what we are buying here.
    Let's assume your criticisms are valid. Most of them are not, they're based on lies and deliberate re-framings of what's actually shown in the show, but let's assume.

It's still weird and toxic behavior to continue to frequent the book club which reads only trashy beach reads, when you hate them and find the writing middling and the plot contrived. If you're looking for great writing, join the book clubs that are reading the classics.

Like, I don't consume media I don't like. It's real simple. I don't care for anime, I don't watch it, and....I don't participate in the anime threads (except as a moderator, when I get reports in them).