Page 49 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    They won't get that many (498) seats.
    I'm using incredible in the literal sense - not credible or impossible to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I'm using incredible in the literal sense - not credible or impossible to believe.
    I guessed that. I was just adding some context to today's polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/sta...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Sauce for anyone interested.

Honestly though...who the fuck thought anyone would actually want a live band karaoke? Can't they just rent out a local karaoke bar and have a night of boozy singing like normal folks do?

Apparently the train strike, which hasn't begun and has been known of for weeks, is to blame according to the organizers.
    Its to good of a connection not to link this.
    One of my favourite David Mitchell rants.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09MsD8wSeYM
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

7+ Year Old Account

There's still a long way to go and an 80 seat majority will be difficult to overturn but it is looking inevitable that the Tories will be out of power come the next election and a Lab landslide is on the cards.

Using electoralcalculus.co.uk prediction tool these polling numbers put the Tories on... wait for it... 3seats! That's 3 seats total!!! And Lab on a massive 565!!! Obviously the result is unlikely to this bad but wow!!!
    A little over two years to the next election = a long time. Cast your mind back to just over two years ago and peak Tory support was in the +50% range with Labour in the 20 percents. The exact opposite of today, I think Labour are counting their chickens.

Loyal to Truss and influential Tories are saying:-

None of this is a problem. Her policies are designed to win a GE in two years, not tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/BrugesGroup/stat...DQgYbixd0rAAAA

People are getting a little over excited, as though one or two polls more than two years out are equal to a General Election result today. Although if Labour do win a stonking victory I can't wait to see them U turn and immediately abandon their pledge to ditch FPTP...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Her policies are designed to win a GE in two years, not tomorrow.
    Huh, and here I thought we elected politicians to run the country and take care of things happening today whilst preparing for tomorrow.

Not just so that they can focus on their own parties electoral chances years down the road without much care about how people are doing in the moment.

A bit of pain for the people now so they can benefit from more pain under Tory leadership in a few years. What a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    A little over two years to the next election = a long time. Cast your mind back to just over two years ago and peak Tory support was in the +50% range with Labour in the 20 percents. The exact opposite of today, I think Labour are counting their chickens.

Loyal to Truss and influential Tories are saying:-

None of this is a problem. Her policies are designed to win a GE in two years, not tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/BrugesGroup/stat...DQgYbixd0rAAAA

People are getting a little over excited, as though one or two polls more than two years out are equal to a General Election result today. Although if Labour do win a stonking victory I can't wait to see them U turn and immediately abandon their pledge to ditch FPTP...
    The Cons had benefitted from a Boris and Brexit bounce plus the country was in uncharted territory with Covid, and the first lockdown, at the time.

But I do agree that two years is a long time (the head of You Gov has some interesting points regarding the result - https://twitter.com/anthonyjwells/st...61592535535616.) and many things can happen.

However the problem as I see it is that Truss is in a position where she cannot back down and she can't not back down without facing the prospect of being wiped out at the next election and she has further compounded the problems by being missing in action and then returning with her disastrous performances this morning.

People are getting overexcited because previously they were worrying how they would heat their homes now they don't know if they'll still have a home in a few months time.

I think the Tories can salvage this - and by salvage this I mean I think they can advert electoral annihilation but not necessarily win another term - but they will have to cut Truss loose.

Truss is finished - she can't come back from this - the only question is whether she takes the Tory party with her.

Have Lab actually committed to PR? But yeah there's no way they'll get rid of FPTP.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder whether the Bruges Group will be as positive towards Truss when they see her remainer tendencies have not all been purged?

'SCOOP: In an unexpected turn of events, the UK today told its EU partners that PM Liz Truss is not only willing to attend the first meeting of the European Political Community in Prague next week, but that she is also offering to host the next summit in London.'

https://twitter.com/HankeVela/status...35378869538816

Just to add I think she's being a little presumptuous to assume she'll still about come the next summit!
    Last edited by Pann; 2022-09-29 at 09:17 PM.

The Cons had benefitted from a Boris and Brexit bounce plus the country was in uncharted territory with Covid, and the first lockdown, at the time.

But I do agree that two years is a long time (the head of You Gov has some interesting points regarding the result - https://twitter.com/anthonyjwells/st...61592535535616.) and many things can happen.

However the problem as I see it is that Truss is in a position where she cannot back down and she can't not back down without facing the prospect of being wiped out at the next election and she has further compounded the problems by being missing in action and then returning with her disastrous performances this morning.

People are getting overexcited because previously they were worrying how they would heat their homes now they don't know if they'll still have a home in a few months time.

I think the Tories can salvage this - and by salvage this I mean I think they can advert electoral annihilation but not necessarily win another term - but they will have to cut Truss loose.

Truss is finished - she can't come back from this - the only question is whether she takes the Tory party with her.

Have Lab actually committed to PR? But yeah there's no way they'll get rid of FPTP.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder whether the Bruges Group will be as positive towards Truss when they see her remainer tendencies have not all been purged?

'SCOOP: In an unexpected turn of events, the UK today told its EU partners that PM Liz Truss is not only willing to attend the first meeting of the European Political Community in Prague next week, but that she is also offering to host the next summit in London.'

https://twitter.com/HankeVela/status...35378869538816

Just to add I think she's being a little presumptuous to assume she'll still about come the next summit!

I guess the first point, can the Cons ditch Liz? Yes, yes they can. However they are stretching conventions so thin that they absolutely should not be able to. Post BoJo using terms like "unprecedented" is run of the mill, if anything that will be Johnson's legacy, but they absolutely should not be able to install yet another leader on the nation without input from anyone outside the 160k crazy people that represent the Tory death cult.

Can the Tories recover? Yeah they can, if the right papers start spinning the right stories over 2 years, yeah of course. The English electorate are fucking stupid. I normally eschew this kind of rhetoric but anyone, I repeat anyone who is willing to vote for Truss either now or in 2 years time has some kind of diagnosable character flaw. Be it a misanthropy, or a delusion about being a temporarily embarrassed millionaire it doesn't really matter, there is some element of your character that just doesn't give a fuck about anyone else.

Finally will Labour be seduced by FTP because they think it's their turn to win? Well I think the conference vote actually commits them to it and they absolutely should commit to PR if they want to break the grasp of the Conservative party on this country. I hope they don't throw game if they can keep the Cons out of government for the foreseeable even if it comes at the cost of working with the Lib Dems or the Greens or something...

Another poll with a 30 point lead for Lab.

LAB: 50% (+10 from 21 Sep)
    CON: 20% (-8)
    LDM: 9% (-1)
    GRN: 8% (=)
    SNP: 5% (-1)

https://twitter.com/PeoplePolling/st...13482024665088

- - - Updated - - -

And another:

As expected and in line with some of the other polling companies, the final VI poll figures put Labour with a *32pt* lead over the Tories. (Fieldwork 29-30 Sep)

Con: 23% (-9 from 23-26 Sep)
    Lab: 55% (+11)
    Lib Dem: 7% (-3)
    Green: 5% (0)
    Reform UK: 3% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (+1)

https://twitter.com/Omnisis/status/1575837270266892290

Tory conference next week is gonna be awesome!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Not to worry. Crisis averted. Turns out it was all a misunderstanding and the government is on our side after all.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/199721...-on-your-side/

I'm beginning to think that she has never left her early Lib Dem leanings and is a sleeper agent tasked with destroying the Tories.

Not to worry. Crisis averted. Turns out it was all a misunderstanding and the government is on our side after all.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/199721...-on-your-side/

I'm beginning to think that she has never left her early Lib Dem leanings and is a sleeper agent tasked with destroying the Tories.
    I don't think that UK media follow Associated Press style and all but...does she know that a single sentence doesn't make a paragraph? And that an op-ed filled with single sentences is uh...embarrassing? I'm not familiar with The Sun and their op-ed section or anything, but this is hilariously bad.

The headline alone...if you have to remind people "you're on their side"...maybe you actually aren't.

What would this "unthinkable" cost have been? Just, "unthinkable" so we can't even guess?

SHE'S OPENING UP MORE GAS FIELDS IN THE NORTH SEA! *smile awkwardly while pausing for applause*

For too long we have been stuck debating how to divide up the economic pie, rather than grow the pie so everyone has a bigger slice.
    Big, huge, massive ooph. Way to give up the game 2/3 of the way through this op-ed which is simply about 40 single sentences loosely strung together.

The status quo is not working.
    Hasn't...that been her party maintaining that status quo as of late? Bit of an odd own-goal, but whatever.

We are going unashamedly for growth.
    Yes Liz, we know. And we also know that you don't much care who are the beneficiaries of said growth and who isn't.

We will harness the power of free enterprise to level up the country by creating new Investment Zones.
    Cringe.

We are making the most of our new-found freedom outside the European Union.
    Didn't she just announce she was attending a gathering of EU leaders to discuss EU stuff?

Surely the Conservative party must have at least a few people who can work as copy editors in the party ranks, no? Someone who could have read this and said, "Liz, you write at a 5th grade level and maybe you should just give us outlines of what you want written and we'll handle the adult work."? Again, I won't ding her on her gross failure to adhere to A.P. Style, but at the very least I'd hope she could string together coherent thoughts without it seeming like she just accidentally copy/pasted talking points and forgot to add in all the color and context and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I don't think that UK media follow Associated Press style and all but...does she know that a single sentence doesn't make a paragraph? And that an op-ed filled with single sentences is uh...embarrassing? I'm not familiar with The Sun and their op-ed section or anything, but this is hilariously bad.

The headline alone...if you have to remind people "you're on their side"...maybe you actually aren't.

What would this "unthinkable" cost have been? Just, "unthinkable" so we can't even guess?

SHE'S OPENING UP MORE GAS FIELDS IN THE NORTH SEA! *smile awkwardly while pausing for applause*

Big, huge, massive ooph. Way to give up the game 2/3 of the way through this op-ed which is simply about 40 single sentences loosely strung together.

Hasn't...that been her party maintaining that status quo as of late? Bit of an odd own-goal, but whatever.

Yes Liz, we know. And we also know that you don't much care who are the beneficiaries of said growth and who isn't.

Cringe.

Didn't she just announce she was attending a gathering of EU leaders to discuss EU stuff?

Surely the Conservative party must have at least a few people who can work as copy editors in the party ranks, no? Someone who could have read this and said, "Liz, you write at a 5th grade level and maybe you should just give us outlines of what you want written and we'll handle the adult work."? Again, I won't ding her on her gross failure to adhere to A.P. Style, but at the very least I'd hope she could string together coherent thoughts without it seeming like she just accidentally copy/pasted talking points and forgot to add in all the color and context and whatnot.
    The Sun has a reading age of 8. Critiquing anyone writing for The Sun over their use of English is a massive red herring.

Obviously the piece is trash but the important part is Murdoch is willing to give her a shot so she's not dead yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    The Sun has a reading age of 8.
    I retract every critique I made, in that case. That frames it properly and in that context it's actually quite brilliantly written. A credit to her and/or her copy editing team (or those at The Sun).

I gotta admit, I never thought that the answer to inflation, was making sure that people have even more money to spend.

"SCOOP by ShippersUnbound ft. me and olivershah

Kwasi Kwarteng went to private champagne reception hours after delivering budget where hedge fund managers egged him on to commit to his plans

Investors who gained from plummeting £ told him: double down"

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/...60578946912257

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/k...rash-kwdbs72g0

What. The. Actual...

I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt that this did not inform his decision but this shows a staggering lack of awareness.

How long do we have to wait before the Tory party does something about these two!?

- - - Updated - - -

He has to go!

If Liz is not already drafting her sick note for Kuenssberg tomorrow morning she probably should be!

- - - Updated - - -

It gets better, now she's bossing around the King!

"NEW trussliz has told King Charles not to attend COP27P next month. The King,a lifelong environmentalist, planned to be at the summit in Egypt to give a keynote speech and attend engagements. In contrast, the Queen gave an address to COP26 last year

https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/stat...59580317028352

"SCOOP by ShippersUnbound ft. me and olivershah

Kwasi Kwarteng went to private champagne reception hours after delivering budget where hedge fund managers egged him on to commit to his plans

Investors who gained from plummeting £ told him: double down"

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/...60578946912257

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/k...rash-kwdbs72g0

What. The. Actual...

I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt that this did not inform his decision but this shows a staggering lack of awareness.

How long do we have to wait before the Tory party does something about these two!?
    When The Times is willing to run that piece you know you're in trouble as a Conservative. Looks like the plan is to pin this on Kwarteng so Liz can at least limp on for another year before the next rebrand for the GE.

Jesus The Times are really laying into them tonight/tomorrow.

"EXCL: Two more of Liz Truss's most senior advisers entered No10 on loan from chief of staff's lobbying company in "unprecedented" deal

Last week Downing St failed to say Fullbrook Strategies — lobbyist for rogue Libyan PM, PPE firm — had others inside"

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/...58757708828672

They can't carry on much longer with polling showing they have very little support amongst voters and both left and right wing media are gunning for them!

- - - Updated - - -

And more from The Times - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2...3f57b3ff4bd2df

"Truss was told: don’t do this. Her attitude was: I don’t care"

No one wanted Truss to be PM. Its just that everyone remotely competent didn't want this mess even more.

Are we shocked that a scapecoat thrown to the wolves doesn't give a shit about what anything thinks about what they are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    No one wanted Truss to be PM. Its just that everyone remotely competent didn't want this mess even more.

Are we shocked that a scapecoat thrown to the wolves doesn't give a shit about what anything thinks about what they are doing?
    I'd need to have a quick refresher but this seems like a rewriting of history. Nearly every recognisable Tory threw their hat in or put themselves on someone else's ticket. The only notable omission was Michael Gove.

Looking at the candidate list there were plenty of safer options than Truss. Hell the parliamentary party wanted Sunak who at the very least wasn't delusional as to what tax cuts would achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    I'd need to have a quick refresher but this seems like a rewriting of history. Nearly every recognisable Tory threw their hat in or put themselves on someone else's ticket. The only notable omission was Michael Gove.

Looking at the candidate list there were plenty of safer options than Truss. Hell the parliamentary party wanted Sunak who at the very least wasn't delusional as to what tax cuts would achieve.
    They chose a new PM that is a human meat popsicle that is somehow dumber then Boris Johnson, Brexit is the disaster everyone predicted it would be and there is a global energy crisis leading to massive inflation.

Do you legit think this was the 'best' option they had?

Truss is there to take the heat and get thrown into the dumpster, the same way Boris was there to take the heat from 'getting brexit done'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    They chose a new PM that is a human meat popsicle that is somehow dumber then Boris Johnson, Brexit is the disaster everyone predicted it would be and there is a global energy crisis leading to massive inflation.

Do you legit think this was the 'best' option they had?

Truss is there to take the heat and get thrown into the dumpster, the same way Boris was there to take the heat from 'getting brexit done'.
    Tory logic would have had Trump win.
    Tories: Let's fuck it up so bad, the next person will spend YEARS trying to unfuck it, we can blame them for it still being bad come election and we can be elected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Tory logic would have had Trump win.
    Tories: Let's fuck it up so bad, the next person will spend YEARS trying to unfuck it, we can blame them for it still being bad come election and we can be elected.
    Yeah, because when Labour fucked it that strategy worked so well that they've been out of power for 12 years and it has taken a Tory implosion for them and the country to believe that they can win the next election.