Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    What the actual fuck? A good tvshow! I did not see this coming. Finally a fantasy show for grownups. Great actors as well. How did this happen all of a sudden? Did they suddenly try to please someone else than teenage idiots in america?

Enjoyed every single episode. I cant put my finger on it, but the way these guys are talking to each other, the script, everything is just yes yes yes for me. Maybe cause its so long since I saw something good in such a fantasy setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I feel u should watch she hulk instead if this bores you..
    If the complaint was "she just goes shopping," don't think She-Hulk is the solution... imo, She-Hulk is way more boring than Andor as nothing of consequence happens or is obvious a mile away before the show even posits a scenario. Even the 'reveal' at the end of the last episode was instantly perceivable the moment that character was introduced the prior episode since the writers are so vapid and transparent in their politics and ideaologies.

When it comes to a lot of recent shows, whether it's RoP, HotD, etc., the topic of "slow burn" comes up quite a bit in defense of a show but I feel gets misused quite a bit. Conceptually, a slow burn should may take a while to really accelerate to the most exciting parts, but everything that is slowly burnt should matter and build up. Andor does this for the most part, where scenes that may not be the most exciting are still moving the story along in a meaningful way without getting bogged down into pointless for frivolous scenes. By comparison, show's like She-Hulk and RoP are littered with either scenes/plot points that are so dumb or pointless that you could cut them completely with no impact on anything, or scenes that just constantly rehash what you already know and serve no purpose but to hammer away something you already know (and again could be completely cut with no impact). All these superfluous scenes really add up and tend to make a show boring, especially if executing in a terrible way... but that's not a slow burn, that just burning your refuse why your story goes nowhere.

As a caveat, even slow burns have their limits. A show or movie needs to strike a balance between time spent on building up and how long the audience can feasibly stay engaged. If there's a downside to Andor, it probably took way too long to get going. First three episodes should've been at most two or one longer episode, and it feels like that's originally what it was... then they couldn't decide how to edit it, then someone make the decision to chop it up into three episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    Enjoyed every single episode. I cant put my finger on it, but the way these guys are talking to each other, the script, everything is just yes yes yes for me. Maybe cause its so long since I saw something good in such a fantasy setting.
    So far, I'd say it's a bit of both. Andor still has a lot of problems with it, but it's the best live action Disney+ show we've gotten for Star Wars... whether that makes it objectively good or not is another matter. A lot of Disney content, whether it's Star Wars or Marvel is just trite garbage. What's the most annoying part for me is that of all the Star Wars shows to come out, why did they skimp on the other big name shows (like the dumpter fire Kenobi) and have Andor be the decent show? I'll reserve final judgement on this show once the first season finishes, but the overarching problem that Disney has demontrated thus far is that they do not know how to make TV shows well to where you can expect a consistentency of quality.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2022-10-01 at 06:26 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    A lot of Disney content, whether it's Star Wars or Marvel is just trite garbage.
    Probably a demographics problem at work. Disney wants to reach EVERYONE, but obviously you can't appeal to everyone with every product, at least not in the same way. Still - they are pretty damn successful when it comes to broad appeal. People who are looking for sophisticated, intelligent entertainment content are a minority. You may think most SW/Marvel stuff is garbage, and I may think so, and probably a good number of other people think so, too - but then there's magnitudes more who don't care, and are just looking to consume the next throwaway thrill. That doesn't mean that kind of product is always going to be successful, but it certainly speaks to a much broader demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    What's the most annoying part for me is that of all the Star Wars shows to come out, why did they skimp on the other big name shows (like the dumpter fire Kenobi) and have Andor be the decent show?
    Likely because they wanted different things out of those shows. Kenobi was made to draw in with recognition value, and played on that BIG TIME with all the callbacks and formulaic bullshit. Nothing in Kenobi is unexpected or unprecedented, even to the point of bullshit plot holes. All in the name of digestibility and pushing a particular main-stream formula. Did it work out as what they intended? Probably for the most part, though it no doubt has massive issues as well. But a lot of the problems people raise about Kenobi they never really sought to avoid - it's a consequence of making a broad-appeal show that trades on things other than sophistication or craftsmanship. Samw with the new trilogy: they were never MEANT to be expertly made movies, they were meant to be mass entertainment products. They by no means succeeded unequivocally, but many of their failures were for reasons other than a desire for cinematic excellence.

Andor seems to be targeted at a distinctly different demographic, and accordingly they're approaching production differently to begin with. It's not meant as the sell-Legos-and-figures kind of Star Wars. It's meant to give older, more mature audiences a reason to subscribe to a family platform like D+. Whether or not that succeeds and how well this does overall we'll have to see, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into an ongoing trend in the future. Horizontal segmentation is important.

Quote Originally Posted by frn1 View Post
    Pretty decent showing so far but any action sequence with Andor is basically 0 since we already knows his fate.

Mate, there really is no stalking needed to know your activity on this part of the forum.
    Just took a look at your history, as I thought it was weird a user with 13 posts and joined 7ish months ago would already have beef with someone. Is there anything that you like? Every one of your posts is bashing on one show or another.

Signature Created by Jassinta

7+ Year Old Account
    While i agree the show is extremely slow paced, and it could definitely get a bump, I'm enjoying, i think when its done right the slow pace don't bother me much, ima sucker for stuff like bladerunner, and the progression seems to be going stedy in a logical sense

Am I the only person in the galaxy that liked Book of Boba Fett and likes Andor?

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Am I the only person in the galaxy that liked Book of Boba Fett and likes Andor?
    No, it is just people have to trash of Fett.

I liked it, but it could have been better.

Andor is good, but I am curious how things are going to go with it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I liked both but the former needed some Wookie arm ripping to drag it into the “like” column.

Andor, so far, hasn’t required that crutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I liked both but the former needed some Wookie arm ripping to drag it into the “like” column.

Andor, so far, hasn’t required that crutch.
    I mean, they're fundamentally different products. Boba Fett is a fun tale about a guy whose 'predetermined bad guy' path got him left for dead on a desert planet inside an alien's tummy, so he remakes himself by trying to play the benevolent feudal lord.

Andor is more like this deep dive into what a rebellion would actually require behind the scenes of Luke/Leia/Han heroing about triumphantly.

- - - Updated - - -

Did u not notice the stuff on display in Luthien's shop

Uhm...she didn't waltz into a random shop.. n her words were not random, about money issues n how watched she is, it's why Andor is on a heist mission, they need to gather funds for the rebellion

I feel u should watch she hulk instead if this bores you..
    I think people are reading way too much into what's in Luthen's shop. I think it's more just high skilled prop guys looked at pictures of star wars artifacts, made them, and populated the shop with them.

agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Just took a look at your history, as I thought it was weird a user with 13 posts and joined 7ish months ago would already have beef with someone. Is there anything that you like? Every one of your posts is bashing on one show or another.
    Even i that mostly lurk these threads just reading the discussion easily noticed Biomega being very active, which is all i said. That means i have beef?

How did i bash Andor? I said it was decent but tension in action scenes with Andor is lessen since we know his fate. This is a fact you can't dispute.

These days there are not many shows to enjoy because the vast majority of them are utter trash.
    House of Dragons is one i do enjoy.

Next week's looking like it's going to be one banger of an episode. I just hope this pattern of 2 episode build up to one episode of action doesn't continue, otherwise maybe they should have considered splitting this season into 4 ~2 hour episodes instead of 12 40 minute episodes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Next week's looking like it's going to be one banger of an episode. I just hope this pattern of 2 episode build up to one episode of action doesn't continue, otherwise maybe they should have considered splitting this season into 4 ~2 hour episodes instead of 12 40 minute episodes.
    Yeah, another week, another boring episode. I think the whole show would work a lot better if they released all episodes at once like Netflix does.

Anyways, the only good part about this week's episode was that it looks like we may finally get a lesbian couple in Star Wars? Looking forward to that, let's hope they don't just tease it.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

5+ Year Old Account
    This should have been released with last week's episode..

I'm not one of those who complains things take long time, I could watch just Bee going about his business. But...last thing I want to see is Mon Mothma's teen daughter with her teen issues I don't give a shit about..

And instead we should get more time with members of the team, like that dark haired india-looking girl, who hasn't spoken a single sentence so far? That may come later.

I wonder if ISB blonde lady will contact disgraced cop, what a team they would make, both ambitious with chip on their shoulders n way over their heads..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-10-05 at 10:33 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    This should have been released with last week's episode..

I'm not one of those who complains things take long time, I could watch just Bee going about his business. But...last thing I want to see is Mon Mothma's teen daughter with her teen issues I don't give a shit about..

And instead we should get more time with members of the team, like that dark haired india-looking girl, who hasn't spoken a single sentence so far? That may come later.

I wonder if ISB blonde lady will contact disgraced cop, what a team they would make, both ambitious with chip on their shoulders n way over their heads..
    Tbf the teen daughter was ten times more interesting than her weird "husband".

#TEAMGIRAFFE

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Tbf the teen daughter was ten times more interesting than her weird "husband".
    Considering his guest list, No.

7+ Year Old Account
    Considering his guest list, No.
    Well, I surely care more about a teenage daughter of a senator that grows up during the clone wars / early days of the imperium and prolly isn't allowed to know anything about the rebellion (yet) than her unsupportive dad who likes to dine with some imperial weirdos although his wife is part of the alliance. On top of that he is just toxic. Mon Mothma needs a divorce, or hopefully this is all just a play they put up.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Well, I surely care more about a teenage daughter of a senator that grows up during the clone wars / early days of the imperium and prolly isn't allowed to know anything about the rebellion (yet) than her unsupportive dad who likes to dine with some imperial weirdos although his wife is part of the alliance. On top of that he is just toxic. Mon Mothma needs a divorce, or hopefully this is all just a play they put up.
    So, ur saying he is more important. We still don't know what he does, n she doesn't open up to him about her rebel support.. hopefully we get the dinner scene next episode during the Andor heist.

We don't have time to watch a teen angst show, besides we got that already with Reva in Kenobi..

The teen might play a part if one her father's guests uncovers information about her mother by asking some questions, prob main reason they show up, not for the food.

Hmmm...ur teen show sounds like an anime or something..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-10-05 at 04:28 PM.

We don't have time to watch a teen angst show, besides we got that already with Reva in Kenobi..
    Its not a teen angst show. The scene wasn't even about Lieda. It was about Mon Mothma's life unravelling. We knew her double life was hurting her marriage, now we know its hurting her relationship with her daughter.

Lieda is also a pre-existing Star Wars character that had an established difficult relationship with her mother.

Kenobi wasn't a teen angst show. Reva wasn't doing "teen angst". Her story was a very straight forward revenge story. The only curveball was the person who was the target of the revenge knew exactly what was happening and was going to let her have her shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I've heard The Mandalorian called many things, but "new" wasn't one of them. It was about a new type of Mandalorian, sure (the "This is The Way" type of strict mandos), but everything about it was classic Star Wars. And it fed on nostalgia from day 1 with Baby Yoda, and Ahsoka, and Starbuck's Mando faction showing up, and eventually even Luke showing up. Even the Darksaber showing up is a nod to classic (if niche) Star Wars.
    All of that, bar the Darksaber, wasn't until season 2, season 1 was all original characters and let the series establish itself as a standalone. So yes, new is a very fair line to describe it.

We're halfway into this series and we've had Mon Mothma show up. Andor's been a real slow burner for me so far, I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop for a while and it finally looks like we're getting somewhere. There just felt like an exceptional amount of waffle esque filler prior to this point, which goes against the "show, don't tell" aspect of what works so well in Star Wars for me.

Not suggesting it's a bad series, far from, but it's yet to really get its claws into me and grab my interest yet.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.