Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonazak View Post
    Phased housing is not player housing.

Give me something like the houses in Última Online.
    Phased or instanced housing is the only solution for WoW. The engine cannot put housing in the open world like ArcheAge for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I would much rather see Guild Housing, where you can have a whole guild of people running around at the same time, with various amenities, cosmetics, and features that you everyone can work towards. Like Garrison Resources, only everyone contributes in several different ways, like raw mats, gold, dailies, tokens from raids or dungeons, completing PvP objectives, etcetera. If you really want to go the whole mile, make it into a big ship or airship that can be parked in different areas, or move around and do some sort of guild vs. guild combat.
    Would be great but if housing could be made, then an upgrade could easily be guild housing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    The devs are still given a budget that they must adhere to. So, let's stop this tired nonsense now.
    Yup, hence the notion something must be sacrificed view.

Good idea, copy a game that died.
    Oh trust me, Wildstar didn't die due to housing. It is considered one of the better options in the MMO world market.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Good idea, copy a game that died.
    The extensive and hyper customizable player housing was absolutely not the reason Wildstar died.
    "...just imagine if we got a Drust focussed shadowlands instead of the 3d printed robot power tier titan horseshit instead. What might have been eh?" -dope_danny

Maybe I am in minority, but I enjoy having my garrison, especially with its separate hearth stone. I like it more now than when it was current content. It's my wee private refuge. I do like idea of being able to update it with current accomplishments.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The right way to do player housing is to not do it

Do it correct, like Wildstar, or don't do it at all.

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

The devs are still given a budget that they must adhere to. So, let's stop this tired nonsense now.
    lol

The only tired thing that needs to die is this notion that a billion dollar company can't chew gum and walk at the same time.

The only time I've liked player housing was in Runescape. It offered genuine benefits, picking where your "house" was was also beneficial, other players could use things in your house but there was also lots of just fun RP stuff as well.

I really just don't see the appeal to an instanced off zone for you to AFK in, like how is this different to Garrisons. I feel like player housing is one of those things lots of people like to concept off but in reality don't actually care. Mechanics need to have some reason to do them.
    Last edited by Fitsu; 2022-10-01 at 10:17 PM.

Anyone who played EverQuest 2 in here is going to know how player housing is done right

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fitsu View Post
    The only time I've liked player housing was in Runescape. It offered genuine benefits, picking where your "house" was was also beneficial, other players could use things in your house but there was also lots of just fun RP stuff as well.

I really just don't see the appeal to an instanced off zone for you to AFK in, like how is this different to Garrisons. I feel like player housing is one of those things lots of people like to concept off but in reality don't actually care. Mechanics need to have some reason to do them.
    The construction skill was garbage implemented and rarely updated after its release if at all, maybe the single update that added Costume Room a year later then the Menagerie when Summoning released.

Then never again.

OSRS at least made it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechagnome View Post
    I mean, We're down from 12M to what? 2.5M? Your statement is accurate.
    Garrisons existed in WoD and WoD is also the only expansion to see a 5 million player exodus in its first quarter. So, uh... this isn't a very good argument in favor of your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Garrisons existed in WoD and WoD is also the only expansion to see a 5 million player exodus in its first quarter. So, uh... this isn't a very good argument in favor of your suggestion.
    Garrisons were a poor design, and WoD was arguably the worst expac ever. Patch 6.1 gave us Selfies and a Twitter feed. Garrisons were not the reason for the mass exodus. Lack of content and a poorly designed expac did that. It felt like you were reaching, then I saw the straws.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Garrisons were a poor design, and WoD was arguably the worst expac ever. Patch 6.1 gave us Selfies and a Twitter feed. Garrisons were not the reason for the mass exodus. Lack of content and a poorly designed expac did that. It felt like you were reaching, then I saw the straws.
    They would had implemented housing 20 years, if that would keep people playing. They have the necessary data to take action. They invested billions in a game - you don't think they considered housing? There is no money in it.

People who vocal for housing, is the same people who don't want to play the game.
    They litteraly want to passively "hang out" in the game - rejecting the social and competitive aspects of the game.

And people compares housing to Wildstar - where is the WoW killer now?

Blizzard definitely shouldn't put any resources in housing(instead of better base content such as dungeons, raids, story and class balancing).
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-10-02 at 04:47 AM.

Hope they never add shit housing. Wow's gonna become a fairy fest like FFXIV and Blizzard being as big as they are really strugle delivering enough content as it is. Not interested having entire content being ugly clothes and house items for weird ass people.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    It's considered to be bad idea to start from scratch, because game has years of content, that would be scrapped. Better idea - to use non-binary design, i.e. to start implementing housing gradually. Current Blizzards' motto is - we do it or we don't. Problem is - housing is too big thing to implement it as one solid feature. So if we won't start some day - we will never have it.
    Blizzard have saod they want to do it. A huge problem for them is the art assets that take up the majority of the developing time.

With the adding sround 90 new graphic designers to the wow team it should allow them to pump out more content.

The vast majority of the playerbase believe coding takes most if the time. This infact is the easiest part. They can easily code player housing. It's the art that is the huge work.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, We're down from 12M to what? 2.5M? Your statement is accurate.
    I really dislike this false information. Wow still has around 8-,9 mill

Retail is super busy right now, and classic is so full that blizz is literally locking servers so players can not make toons on them, due to the 8-12hr queue times.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Blizzard have saod they want to do it. A huge problem for them is the art assets that take up the majority of the developing time.

With the adding sround 90 new graphic designers to the wow team it should allow them to pump out more content.

The vast majority of the playerbase believe coding takes most if the time. This infact is the easiest part. They can easily code player housing. It's the art that is the huge work.
    They have hundrets of thousands if not millions of potential art assets that just wait to be used in housing. Every single chair, candle, table and ground clutter is a potential housing asset already and at worst needs to have simple collision added to it in some cases. The challenge here is to make a good UI, a system that allows you to load tonns of dynamic assets and a way to store them in their DB. The most they'd need from the art department immediately would be little pictures depicting these for inventory management, but frankly a few generic ones would suffice as well, even if it just serves as an interim solution.

That being said, I once again have to say that the WoW community doesn't deserve housing, as this thread so aptly proves again. It's a typical cut off one's nose to spite one's own face scenario, as the vehement opposition in threads like these show. I also wouldn't trust Blizzard to actually pull it off without being super strigent on what you can do with decoration. Garrisions were a symptom of that.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    Are you saying people interested in racing/cars can't afford a car in real life?
    actualy quite often, yes

Obligatory garrison is already a thing statement
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I would much rather see Guild Housing, where you can have a whole guild of people running around at the same time, with various amenities, cosmetics, and features that you everyone can work towards. Like Garrison Resources, only everyone contributes in several different ways, like raw mats, gold, dailies, tokens from raids or dungeons, completing PvP objectives, etcetera. If you really want to go the whole mile, make it into a big ship or airship that can be parked in different areas, or move around and do some sort of guild vs. guild combat.
    And at the end after you all worked hard to max everything out your guild master kicks you all and sells the guild for several gold caps.
    I mean, let's try to remember lessons already learned (in this case with lvl 25 guilds in Cata).

Add some real manors in the list of housing and if your GM wants, they can make theirs open to the entire guild and everyone can hang around there. They'd have to completely change how guilds work (make them not be OWNED by the guild master in every sense of the world) for such an investment to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    The extensive and hyper customizable player housing was absolutely not the reason Wildstar died.
    But it still died. If player housing was a great as everyone says, the game should be going.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    lol

The only tired thing that needs to die is this notion that a billion dollar company can't chew gum and walk at the same time.
    You did not read a single word I said./ You need to stop acting like they have endless resources. They do not. They are given a budget that they have to adhere to. What needs to die is people thinking Blizzard has endless amounts of money to spend.

But it still died. If player housing was a great as everyone says, the game should be going.
    You expect a single feature to keep a game with expensive maintenance like an MMO alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You expect a single feature to keep a game with expensive maintenance like an MMO alive?
    Well, yeah with how people claim how great it is. If you are going to claim that every game needs it and you are calling fools for not having it, it should at least be able to keep a game going. WoW is now approaching 20 years with out it. Need it they do not.