Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    actualy quite often, yes
    Could just continue with other examples in this comment but I am not because it is a stupid argument, and the commenter receive an infraction.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Moggers1990 View Post
    I genuinely struggle to even think of a reason for player "housing" to exist. Don't people want the game to be more social? As in, people reminisce about the crowds in Ironforge and Orgrimmar, this negatively affects that.

And what do you even do with your "player house/room"? Go stand in there, looking at your achievements? Sit AFK in there instead of sitting in one of the cities? It is literally a pointless addition to the game. Also nowadays at max level you spend 90% of your time in a raid, dungeon or arena, the other 10% is either out in the world or sat AFK while you go for a shit.

I'd much rather people populated a city, not some "patio" outside a window you can look out of and see people running about every now and then that you can't even interact with.

I don't know a single person who would enjoy player housing, of any kind. The argument of "why not remove a raid tier for player housing because only a fifth of the player base raids" has come up in this thread, and I bet you even less of the player base would use player housing outside of the first week before they realise it's utterly pointless.
    I agree. We've had farms and garrisons, the former having more utility than the latter, but neither were kept up. (A missed opportunity for blizz to make herbalism more amazing and having that farm produce all kinds of herbs)

I've read responses to my earlier bemusement and it all just rings hollow. I can't see housing becoming worth it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Obligatory garrison is already a thing statement
    That was housing done wrong. It was modular and restrictive and bound to content. Housing needs to be disconnected from content, no demands for you to have it, nothing, you are meant to have it if you want it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    But it still died. If player housing was a great as everyone says, the game should be going.
    Oh come on, no MMO can stay alive on housing alone, anyone would know that, or should.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    But it still died. If player housing was a great as everyone says, the game should be going.

- - - Updated - - -

You did not read a single word I said./ You need to stop acting like they have endless resources. They do not. They are given a budget that they have to adhere to. What needs to die is people thinking Blizzard has endless amounts of money to spend.
    Yeah your 100% right, a billion dollar company needs to be coddled and pampered, they could fold at any moment.

Its laughable to even consider that thought.

There is pretty much only 1 reason why we don't have player housing; someone, somewhere, ran some numbers and decided it wasn't worth the cost, that's how business's work.

Why wasn't it worth the cost, well that's debatable, but probably related somehow to the player base.

But what is 100% for certain is that a billion dollar company can certainly find the resources to do something it really wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    That was housing done wrong. It was modular and restrictive and bound to content. Housing needs to be disconnected from content, no demands for you to have it, nothing, you are meant to have it if you want it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh come on, no MMO can stay alive on housing alone, anyone would know that, or should.
    But with all the hullabaloo everyone here is making about it (and have done for the last decade or so), it should not only be a major impetus in keeping that game alive, but also something people demanded in MMOs since then. And it hasn't been.

Or, to put it another way, how many "I quit!" threads here have been because there's no player housing? If so many people want this, then they all should be.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

If player housing is such a concern in keeping the game alive then this game truly is dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If player housing is such a concern in keeping the game alive then this game truly is dead.
    Housing is a long wish, longer than Project Classic, in making the game more for everyone and not the minorities.

Housing is a long wish, longer than Project Classic, in making the game more for everyone and not the minorities.
    I don't see that as making a game for "everyone." Especially since it doesn't appear that not "everyone" cares to make it an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I don't see that as making a game for "everyone." Especially since it doesn't appear that not "everyone" cares to make it an issue.
    A little like Mythic raiding, M+, or rated PvP, there's a crowd for everyone, problem is, that one crowd is growing more and we're finally seeing recognition for that crowd in Dragonflight, the world players (or as the more narrow-minded people call them, 'Casuals'). Housing would be a great addition and has been wished for, asked for, begged for, and negotiated for for over 12 years, and it would give options for a wider selection of people. They were all for looking into it until Warlords of Draenor happened, which is where they found out, they were getting there but the core was shit, and unable to offer what was actually wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    They would had implemented housing 20 years, if that would keep people playing. They have the necessary data to take action. They invested billions in a game - you don't think they considered housing? There is no money in it.

People who vocal for housing, is the same people who don't want to play the game.
    They litteraly want to passively "hang out" in the game - rejecting the social and competitive aspects of the game.

And people compares housing to Wildstar - where is the WoW killer now?

Blizzard definitely shouldn't put any resources in housing(instead of better base content such as dungeons, raids, story and class balancing).
    I have more than 24k Achievement points spanned across 16 years of playing WoW. January celebrates my 17th year. I've only unsubbed once, and have 2 accounts active solely to get RAF bonuses and occasionally to let my son play when he gets bored with his consoles. Your opening argument suggests you have insight into everything Blizz is doing. This makes it an opinion, not fact. Your description of vocal players is broadstroking, and inaccurate making that opinion valid only to you. If you are interested in defending Blizz and defacing us, I would recommend using facts, statistics, and interviews by Blizz rather than your own anecdotal and hyperbolic commentary.

As I mentioned previously, adding housing creates a gold sink, taking more gold out, thus driving up token sales, since casuals would benefit most from player housing. Then, if they ever did add Decos as an option, entire bundles could be sold for cash and then placed on the AH after a cooldown window, driving up token sales again by casuals who want the decos. We get "content" all the time for PvE and PvP, but the game type is MMO-RPG and it would be nice to have them cater to that aspect with something more than Transmogrification.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Player housing is topic that comes up a ton around the team. Tons of support for it across the community and within the team, it’s something many of us would love ourselves. Putting together any of the package of features for an expansion, it’s a mix of what thematically suits the expansion, what’s going to appeal to different types of players, but also what would be required to deliver that feature at the level that players expect and deserve, and what would we have to give up to make that happen… and player housing is a big one. It’s a big project, a big undertaking, and I would argue that if we were to do it, it would probably have to span multiple expansions – it’s a large enough feature just from the art.
    Quote by Ion Hazzikostas April 21, 2022 10:00 AM found here

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    I really dislike this false information. Wow still has around 8-,9 mill
    Considering realms are being heavily crossed again, it seems fitting at the end of an expac with no more raid tiers to come that we are winding down before the launch Nov 28. But I would LOVE a source for your 8-9 mil... or is that not false info because you were the one providing it?
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechagnome View Post
    Considering realms are being heavily crossed again, it seems fitting at the end of an expac with no more raid tiers to come that we are winding down before the launch Nov 28. But I would LOVE a source for your 8-9 mil... or is that not false info because you were the one providing it?
    Wish so but I doubt it. I bet more 3.5-4.

Wish so but I doubt it. I bet more 3.5-4.
    Sad thing, because of sites like this one, Blizz simply stopped sharing numbers with WoD. We will never know if our realm is full because it is full, or is it full because 4 shards were opened and now neighboring servers are blending in. Even if every server in the login list had 40k people online, we'd have to prove 100 realms are packed full and not just labeled "Full" by the login screen.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad thing, because of sites like this one, Blizz simply stopped sharing numbers with WoD. We will never know if our realm is full because it is full, or is it full because 4 shards were opened and now neighboring servers are blending in. Even if every server in the login list had 40k people online, we'd have to prove 100 realms are packed full and not just labeled "Full" by the login screen.
    I don't mind, really. I don't need the numbers, at least for me, I can see it is active when events/campaigns (RP server) draw in 200+ people. Of course, the numbers used to be much bigger with the record at 600+ but we cannot expect those numbers anymore.

They tried to give us housing in WOD and we hated it. They're not going to bet on that horse a second time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    They tried to give us housing in WOD and we hated it. They're not going to bet on that horse a second time.
    Garrisons were a research project, and Blizzard knows it didn't count as housing, but it served as a mid-way to test some systems such as personal phasing.

Garrisons were a research project, and Blizzard knows it didn't count as housing, but it served as a mid-way to test some systems such as personal phasing.
    Interesting. You got a source for that info?

Quote Originally Posted by Aboostani View Post
    First, it has to be implemented in the subtlest of ways.

- Ponder an inn in a major city, ThunderBluff, Darnassus.
    - Now, for example Stormwind. Imagine simply walking upstairs into a phased room. And that's it.
    - Outside a window, you can see players on the patio below. But, all it is is a room.
    - The player literally enters a small room with the design of that major city.
    - Adjust the phasing so a Night Elf of Darnassus could have a view of the Commons area in Ironforge.
    - The player can have their own book shelfs which is a visual for achievements, they can actually click on a bed to sleep on for resting experience.
    - They can have banners on the wall, rugs, etc.
    - This could affect many elements of the game: guilds, auction house, mailing.
    - armor rack (affecting gear durability)

- Unlike (or like) garrisons, there is no customization of the building itself. That's inheritant to the city. No new textures, just those of the city.
    - In this way, they're not isolating.
    - It would bring races to their inheritent cities, also remember its phased.
    - Most importantly, is that its a subtle addition.
    - Less is more. Adding small features at the start and eventually adding some more.
    - It could work as an integral part of the game if done right but not overdone.
    - Not isolating players but expanding this always thought about place thats never been implemented and needs to the right way.
    i have a better way: just DON'T do it. Noone needs it, and all it costs is development ressources.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Interesting. You got a source for that info?
    The fact that they still talk about wanting to do housing as they don't consider even having started it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ceall View Post
    i have a better way: just DON'T do it. Noone needs it, and all it costs is development ressources.
    Well, that is true, we don't need it, we want it. There are many things in WoW we don't need but someone wants.

Well, that is true, we don't need it, we want it. There are many things in WoW we don't need but someone wants.
    Yes..."someone."
    I myself would love to have the lore rewritten from the ground up but I know that will never happen.

I have more than 24k Achievement points spanned across 16 years of playing WoW. January celebrates my 17th year. I've only unsubbed once, and have 2 accounts active solely to get RAF bonuses and occasionally to let my son play when he gets bored with his consoles. Your opening argument suggests you have insight into everything Blizz is doing. This makes it an opinion, not fact. Your description of vocal players is broadstroking, and inaccurate making that opinion valid only to you. If you are interested in defending Blizz and defacing us, I would recommend using facts, statistics, and interviews by Blizz rather than your own anecdotal and hyperbolic commentary.

As I mentioned previously, adding housing creates a gold sink, taking more gold out, thus driving up token sales, since casuals would benefit most from player housing. Then, if they ever did add Decos as an option, entire bundles could be sold for cash and then placed on the AH after a cooldown window, driving up token sales again by casuals who want the decos. We get "content" all the time for PvE and PvP, but the game type is MMO-RPG and it would be nice to have them cater to that aspect with something more than Transmogrification.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Player housing is topic that comes up a ton around the team. Tons of support for it across the community and within the team, it’s something many of us would love ourselves. Putting together any of the package of features for an expansion, it’s a mix of what thematically suits the expansion, what’s going to appeal to different types of players, but also what would be required to deliver that feature at the level that players expect and deserve, and what would we have to give up to make that happen… and player housing is a big one. It’s a big project, a big undertaking, and I would argue that if we were to do it, it would probably have to span multiple expansions – it’s a large enough feature just from the art.
    Quote by Ion Hazzikostas April 21, 2022 10:00 AM found here

- - - Updated - - -

I respect the answer and I didn't target you as a person.

But you should be old enough to remember WoD times - you know the shitstorm - where people would complain about how empty the world felt(everybody were AFK in thier garrison - only zoning out to enter a raid)? Is it going to workout this time(somehow)?

But let me repeat my quote(while contrasting Ions message):
    They would had implemented housing 20 years ago, if that would keep people playing.
    Why don't we still have it?

My guess -
    It doesn't generate any profit. A streamer or a youtuber gets more material promoting a good raid, story or anything else but housing(even a bad patch generates more PR/youtube algorithm. Even not having housing generates traffic on MMO-C as we discuss).

That is free marketing for Blizzard - and they will priortize anything else but housing - and that is what Ion is kinda hinting on if you ask me.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-10-03 at 01:29 AM.