Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Naxxramas Speculation and Strategy

Is the buffed version of Naxx even on the PTR?

I'm sure the world first crush the place immediately regardless, but I'm curious how the just-barely-made-it-to-80 crowd fares.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

It's on PTR yeah. The PTR raids I saw crushed it even with the 30% buff. A couple wipes here and there.

A 30% buff on half the bosses in there still only brings them up to half of Malygos' HP. And we killed Malygos in sub 5 minutes in 2008 for the achievement.

The original WOTLK Naxxramas is likely the single most undertuned raid on release in WoW history. Half the stuff in there hit less hard than the 2006 version for players 20 levels higher.

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/zone/reports?zone=1015

I will say super undergeared tanks can get one shot by Patchwerk 25 now.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2022-10-03 at 02:33 AM.

Yah I see in one of the logs he’s smacking an ilvl 200 tank paladin for 17,500. Think it was a botched pull because he got melee’d and ate a Hateful.

Golly I gotta remember all these strats, like how many hatefuls does he do…must be melee +1 on 10 and melee + 2 on 25.

Heh I didn’t raid BC so I kinda forgot Wrath had the weird sometimes two tanks sometimes three tanks thing.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will we see a World First Immortal on Tuesday?

Probably.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

How much frost resist do people use on Sapphiron these days?

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    How much frost resist do people use on Sapphiron these days?
    I think wrath is when resist gear becomes less common then cata it’s nonexistent. I may be wrong but I haven’t seen any resist gear
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    I think wrath is when resist gear becomes less common then cata it’s nonexistent. I may be wrong but I haven’t seen any resist gear
    My tailor has a bunch of high stam frost resist gear that I can make thats req lvl 80. There is probably a bunch in the other armor specs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    My tailor has a bunch of high stam frost resist gear that I can make thats req lvl 80. There is probably a bunch in the other armor specs too.
    I remember using the crafted frost resist for Thorim hard mode in Ulduar to trivialize it, but never on Sapphiron it was just too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    there was a crafted set for each armor type like a helm a pair of gloves and a chest ....it wasn't necessary and out performed by a totem

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    It's on PTR yeah. The PTR raids I saw crushed it even with the 30% buff. A couple wipes here and there.

A 30% buff on half the bosses in there still only brings them up to half of Malygos' HP. And we killed Malygos in sub 5 minutes in 2008 for the achievement.

do you have a VOD? I just tried to go in on PTR and its not up. when was this?

Back in the day I made a huge deal about everyone getting the Icebane or equivalent 3-pc set…but I didn’t have any real idea how DPS worked.

I also don’t remember Thorim having any frost damage though, is it the arena that does or the gauntlet?

You know my totally accurate Naxxramas and beyond predictions!

-Immortal will be gotten by someone day 1.
    -Black Proto Drakes are going to be more common but we aren't going to have a sea of them
    -Immortal will absolutely see to boosting for Black Protos being extremely difficult even at ICC Gear
    -Blizz wont remove the Meta achievement this time around.
    -3 Drake Sarth will be downed by first reset
    -This will apply to fresh servers and legacy servers
    -Normal Mode Ulduar will be cleared on release day
    -Algalon will be killed second reset
    -Alone in the Darkness will be killed by the third reset but I'm a little shakey on that one
    -Potentially be a period where "Ulduar is taking too long" might be a complaint
    -Rusted and Ironbound Protos are going to be everywhere will be a hot GDKP commodity
    -TOC will only lock heroic for the first week
    -Tribute to Immortality will be Achieved by the second reset will still be EXTREMELY rare
    -ICC will not have the attempt mechanic nor the initial gating Lich King Available day 1.
    -ICC Buff will still happen and will scale....but I feel a few guilds will clear Heroic before the buff starts
    -At 30% buff GKDPs of Heroic ICC will end up becoming common
    -As such Invincible will be a slightly more common sight
    -Ruby Sanctum will be largely ignored cause it sucks and most of us don't even remember it was there in the first place
    -Like seriously WoTLK Classic is literally being carried by Nostalgia for ICC and Ulduar

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    You know my totally accurate Naxxramas and beyond predictions!
    -Blizz wont remove the Meta achievement this time around.
    I agree with everything except this one. I think Blizzard removed this Meta achievement specifically because it was, like, pretty much the only thing difficult about T7. I guess I could see them removing it since it won't be nearly as exclusive this time around but I doubt it.

-Algalon will be killed second reset
    -Alone in the Darkness will be killed by the third reset but I'm a little shakey on that one
    Hard disagree. Both will be killed immediately. Algalon only requires a semi-competent tank and healer, it's a joke for top-end competitors at the current level. Yogg was a strategy and throughput fight, the first of which is a non-issue with this much meta knowledge while the second is, again, subject to a massive jump in skill from historic levels.

Things might change if they decide to alter Ulduar in some way, but if it's left as-is it'll get obliterated by the top players. Instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Hard disagree. Both will be killed immediately. Algalon only requires a semi-competent tank and healer, it's a joke for top-end competitors at the current level. Yogg was a strategy and throughput fight, the first of which is a non-issue with this much meta knowledge while the second is, again, subject to a massive jump in skill from historic levels.

Things might change if they decide to alter Ulduar in some way, but if it's left as-is it'll get obliterated by the top players. Instantly.
    well I did second week with the assumption they would still have to attune for it and Hodir is still a pretty heavy gear check

well I did second week with the assumption they would still have to attune for it and Hodir is still a pretty heavy gear check
    Attunement/Gating is the only legitimate factor, the rest will be an absolute joke. Including Hodir, barring of course any substantial tuning changes.

You need to realize just how much more people pump today than they did when this was current. It's a staggering difference.

Everything will be done within max 2hrs from beginning... including Immortal.
    It does not matter if +30% buff will be up.

Guilds will prepare for this and even run suboptimal comps in order to pass a dps check like Hodir, by massively class stacking.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Back in the day I made a huge deal about everyone getting the Icebane or equivalent 3-pc set…but I didn’t have any real idea how DPS worked.

I also don’t remember Thorim having any frost damage though, is it the arena that does or the gauntlet?
    It's Hodir that does a lot of frost damage not Thorim.

Frost resist gear for the whole raid was considered bad even back when naxx was released. Its only Hodir and Sindragosa where tanks can opt in for frost resist gear since they usually have enough survivability from other gear and both bosses deal a lot of frost damage to the tank.
    It's never a good idea to go for frost resist on dps or healers though.

You know I haven't quite gotten around to it, but MMO-Champion was starting to get more popular by Wrath, and if you go to page 17,000 or whatever all the original posts from that era are still right here on this forum. There's gotta be some shtuff that's hilarious about what we complained about back then.