Page 51 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    @Elegiac Thanks for the breakdown.

As the Tory conference enters its final day it all looks like it couldn't have gone any... worse.

After claiming that there would be no u-turn on the 45p rate Truss then did a u-turn (amusingly she had recorded a number of interviews stating that the decision would not be reversed that were under embargo until after it was announced that it was going to be reversed), she and Kwasi have said that the OBR report would not be brought forward, then it would and now it looks that it won't... but who really knows? Utter chaos!

The backbenchers, who bothered to turn up, and cabinet members are openly fighting amongst each other. We're at the point where Gove, Patel and Shapps sound like the voice of reason... hell... even Nads has had some moments of lucidity!

It's all very Jeremy Kyle.

And top it all off, Liz has to give the speech of her life tomorrow!

I have absolutely no faith that she will not end up making things worse.

I hope she is gone by Christmas but it really would not surprise me if we end up stuck with her until they voted out at the next election.
    Last edited by Pann; 2022-10-04 at 09:41 PM.

The only speech Liz could give that could save the Tories is basically "This was a mistake, I quit. Sorry."

Yeah, they're finished. All soundbites and no substance.

Liz says that people don't like change I think come election day she will find that this is very much not case.

Still it was amusing to see her come on to the stage to M-People's Moving on Up, I'm guessing no-one bothered to listen to the words outside of the chorus.

You've done me wrong, your time is up
    You took a sip from the devil's cup
    You broke my heart, there's no way back
    Move right out of here, baby, go on pack your bags

Just who do you think you are?
    Stop actin' like some kind of star
    Just who do you think you are?
    Take it like a man, baby, if that's what you are

'Cause I'm movin' on up, you're movin' on out
    Movin' on up, nothin' can stop me
    Movin' on up, you're movin' on out
    Time to break free, nothin' can stop me, yeah
    They brag a man has walked in space
    But you can't even find my place
    There ain't nothin' you can do
    'Cause I've had enough of me, baby, bein' part of you

Best song choice since Reagan's use of Born in the USA.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    "I know she's a pile of steaming crap but she's our steaming pile of crap" is not the glowing letter of recommendation that you seem to think it is.
    I tend to agree with you, I didn't support the coup and the removal of Boris. Liz is the best of the bad bunch who were on offer and the people baying for her removal, as they did with Boris, need to say who they would replace her with that is better. Keir Starmer his magic money tree and the take us back to the 1970's agenda is not the answer.

The problem for Liz Truss is her policies are so different from the mandate that got Boris elected she has no real democratic legitimacy. Greenpeace hecklers were right to ask the question today at conference "who voted for this?" However as one of the worlds premier democracies with our amazing FPTP system, we do enjoy a full democracy unlike most of the world including the US and much of Europe who must suffer one that is clearly flawed, we really ought to have a General Election ASAP to protect that position in the democracy index table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

In reality one is unlikely to happen, so for now, Liz Truss should be given a chance and her policies of tax cuts, freezes in public sector spending, benefit cuts and a smaller state are the right ones but she should test their support in a General Election. I hope she can keep it together until 2025 when others will get their chance to lead but begrudgingly for now I support her and she still is the best, short of Boris's return, we have.

So, for the sake of our nation, let's all get behind our Liz.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    "For the sake of our nation" and "our Liz", huh @dribbles ? Something tells me most Brits would disagree with you on that. It's not a nation to the Tories, it's just a way to keep in power and make more money. And she won't ever be "our Liz" for them, because they didn't fucking vote for her.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    I tend to agree with you, I didn't support the coup and the removal of Boris. Liz is the best of the bad bunch who were on offer and the people baying for her removal, as they did with Boris, need to say who they would replace her with that is better. Keir Starmer his magic money tree and the take us back to the 1970's agenda is not the answer.

The problem for Liz Truss is her policies are so different from the mandate that got Boris elected she has no real democratic legitimacy. Greenpeace hecklers were right to ask the question today at conference "who voted for this?" However as one of the worlds premier democracies with our amazing FPTP system, we do enjoy a full democracy unlike most of the world including the US and much of Europe who must suffer one that is clearly flawed, we really ought to have a General Election ASAP to protect that position in the democracy index table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

In reality one is unlikely to happen, so for now, Liz Truss should be given a chance and her policies of tax cuts, freezes in public sector spending, benefit cuts and a smaller state are the right ones but she should test their support in a General Election. I hope she can keep it together until 2025 when others will get their chance to lead but begrudgingly for now I support her and she still is the best, short of Boris's return, we have.

So, for the sake of our nation, let's all get behind our Liz.
    You can fuck right off with this "magic money tree" nonsense. Labour isn't the party that just announced a huge amount of unfunded tax cuts that cost this country £65bn pounds when it looked likely to bankrupt pension funds.

As for the "amazing FPTP system", that is just you trolling again. Sadly the moderators don't seem to want to apply their own rules to this part of the forum. Any system that hasn't produced a controlling party with a majority of the votes in my lifetime is about as legitimate as taking control because some watery tart lobbed a scimitar at you.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Truss gets (finally) something right and sacks Conor Burns following a complaint about serious misconduct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63177669

This makes a welcome change from Johnson who was ultimately brought down for trying to sweep this kind of thing under the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Truss gets (finally) something right and sacks Conor Burns following a complaint about serious misconduct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63177669

This makes a welcome change from Johnson who was ultimately brought down for trying to sweep this kind of thing under the carpet.
    Man, why do Conservatives keep getting in trouble for acting like creeps?

Seriously???

@Exclusive: Govt has scrapped offer of free train travel for military to attend remembrance services this November.

It was seen as “too great a loss to the taxpayer”

But ministers said not to have signed off on decision and are urgently reviewing it'

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/s...56156778872832

What is going in this government!? Why is no-one saying "It doesn't matter how much it costs! People will fucking hate you if you scrap it!"? We can borrow billions to cut taxes of the rich but we can't buy a train ticket for an old boy who served his country to remember his fallen comrades? Cretins!

Seriously???

@Exclusive: Govt has scrapped offer of free train travel for military to attend remembrance services this November.

But ministers said not to have signed off on decision and are urgently reviewing it'

What is going in this government!? Why is no-one saying "It doesn't matter how much it costs! People will fucking hate you if you scrap it!"? We can borrow billions to cut taxes of the rich but we can't buy a train ticket for an old boy who served his country to remember his fallen comrades? Cretins!
    https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/...82460614586370

Wait, did Truss really managed to spend over 4,000 pounds on two trips to the hairdresser?

How the fuck is that even possible? Is she getting her hair dusted in gold or something?

Seems like Tories are spending a lot of taxpayer money treating themselves.

Seriously???

Look m8, this government isn't afraid to make the hard decisions ok! Liz Truss is basically Nolan's Batman, she isn't the hero we want, she's the one we need.

I can't wait to see what comes next, is there anything else that's widely supported that comes with a fairly negligible cost that will help her demonstrate this governments ability to *Batman voice* "make the hard choices".

About turn!

As a proud champion of our armed forces, I’m appalled by reports veterans would pay for their travel to commemorate the fallen. Incorrect.

Our #ArmedForcesCovenant is a commitment to go the extra mile for our military. Train travel for veterans for Remembrance remains free.

https://twitter.com/annietrev/status...70119172624384

I did enjoy this video till I remembered this is the bint who nearly fucked my pensions recently.

BTW take the day collar off or cover it up at work Liz.
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

Liz Truss is the perfect example of how the kinds of people who should absolutely be running governments have no desire whatsoever to get near this toxic mess, and as a result it's usually the people absolutely least qualified and fit that seek these positions of power.

I get that the clips are intentionally unflattering and all, but that's absolutely brutal. The woman seems to have lost her mind somewhere and hasn't had an original thought since about 1995.

'Back again? Dear oh dear': King Charles III mutters as he meets Liz Truss

Kwarteng has been sacked as chancellor for implementing the economic plans promised in Liz Truss' leadership campaign.

Rumours are that Hunt will take over the position but this is not confirmed and he is currently out of the country. Also she faces the problem that all the people who have credibility with the markets warned her of the chaos her plans would cause and they will not take the position.

However none of this may matter as it is not certain that she will still be in the job come this time next week. (I have heard a rumour that Javid will take over but take this with a large pinch of salt.)

- - - Updated - - -

The New Statesmen is reporting that the 1922 Committee are prepared to suspend the rule that prevents the leader from facing a confidence motion within their first year.

https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/sta...49776144154625

Kwarteng has been sacked as chancellor for implementing the economic plans promised in Liz Truss' leadership campaign.

The New Statesmen is reporting that the 1922 Committee are prepared to suspend the rule that prevents the leader from facing a confidence motion within their first year.
    Boy, sure seems like the Tories are a competent, functional political party with a deep bench of talent, and that the voters really won't regret putting them into power at all. Not one bit.

What an absolute clownshow of incompetence. I hope their support continues to crumble until they're looking at single-digit seats in the Commons. Why is it seemingly impossible to find competent conservative parties/movements that operate in good faith?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Boy, sure seems like the Tories are a competent, functional political party with a deep bench of talent, and that the voters really won't regret putting them into power at all. Not one bit.

What an absolute clownshow of incompetence. I hope their support continues to crumble until they're looking at single-digit seats in the Commons. Why is it seemingly impossible to find competent conservative parties/movements that operate in good faith?
    Because they tend to all be narcissitic sociopaths? Not an easy thing getting a group of people with that kind of mentality to play nicely together, even if their hold on power depends on it.

Anyone with the slightest empathy tends towards the left side of the political spectrum. Especially with the state the world is in today.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

i mean the whole 'our ideology is based on individualism but we want to be incharge of a collective of 67million people' is probably where the problem starts.

Shame Truss went so fast on hunt, the one great office Boris hasn't held is the treasury. Chuck him in and make nads second.

Now we will once again be subjected to the Jeremy Hunt rhyming slang gags, sickening.