nooks a nook, doesn't matter if they chuck one at snake island as a show of force. once you cross the Rubicon like that it would demand an answer from Nato.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    And no, you use a tactical one against a logistic center. A strategic nuke is for enemy annihilation. The scale is not the same.
    That "not the same" includes ranges of 20kt+.

By then, we're far past the point of whether what Russia considers their "intended" use to be actually mattering.

You guys are so depressing, YUPPIE is finally banned and here's more nuke talk then ever. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Bit like Sun Tzu, eh? "Always leave your enemy a golden bridge to retreat over.", though in this case it's less of a golden bridge and more a case of: "run and we won't shoot you...too much."
    There was an incident in 2014, when orcs had freshly overran the Donbas and Ukrainians were on the run.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ilovaisk

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    After days of encirclement, Ukrainian commander Yuriy Bereza came to an agreement with Russian commanders in Ilovaisk to allow Ukrainian troops to withdraw from the city.[34] However, this agreement was not honored by the Russian side who opened fire on the evacuating Ukrainian soldiers, many of whom died whilst trying to escape.

10+ Year Old Account
    My surprised face when russia breaks an agreement.

I know I'm usually a more moderate voice but at this point I'm more surprised when russia keeps a promise. (NB: by moderate I mean: not necessarily agreeing with more radical solutions, the russian leadership and army can get bent for the most part though.)

Very convenient, russia is still determining what they annexed, so basically they can just say: those areas liberated weren't liberated as we never annexed those anyway...
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-10-03 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think the alternative is every single country with a border with Russia either joining NATO or joining a defense agreement with China.
    We have the Baltics, we will have Finland and inevitably Ukraine. Georgia is not unlikely and in the shit state Russia will be in by the end of the war, the only thing stopping Georgia from joining NATO is objections within NATO over the state of its democracy. And Georgia very much should consider action because they are the very next in line for a Russian invasion over Abkhazia. Everything Russia is doing to Ukraine they already did to Georgia back in 2008 and we all just let them.
    The real question would be Azerbaijan, Turkey would probably champion them joining but there would need to be a competent solution to Nagorno-Karabakh and Armenia with Armenia possibly also joining.

Kazakhstan and Mongolia are interesting cases. Both are Russian allies and both balance the interests of Russia and China (with Mongolia also having substantial western interests). If Russians did invade either, I don't think it would be the West's war to have; it would be a proxy war with China and Western leadership would probably love seeing it as long as it is not substantially disruptive to the world economy. Not even the Russians would invade North Korea, they aren't that stupid.
    Yo, NATO isn't a charity organisation. We don't need the third world included. And it's the NORTH ATLANTIC treaty, not the "surrounding Russia" treaty. Ukraine is really already the easternmost I would consider, anything not in Europe or North America is of no interest to NATO. They can join some Pacific defense pact with Japan and the US as the core.

- - - Updated - - -

The thing is that in the West, tactical nukes are considered nuclear armament while they are considered conventional armament in the "East" (Russian and Chine for instance). So that is definitively what they will say if one would be used.
    Not that anyone gives a shit what Russia calls things these days. Like seriously, if Putin called them rabbit toys it would have the same meaning as anything else he says. Russia is full of shit and we should refuse to play by their rules or accept their definitions. Once you start that, you're one step closer to accepting that Donetsk is now Russian.

Nah, fuck that. If he uses tactical nukes, we should use them, too.

On Moscow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    nooks a nook, doesn't matter if they chuck one at snake island as a show of force. once you cross the Rubicon like that it would demand an answer from Nato.
    That's a sensible notion, Jonny.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Yo, NATO isn't a charity organisation. We don't need the third world included. And it's the NORTH ATLANTIC treaty, not the "surrounding Russia" treaty. Ukraine is really already the easternmost I would consider, anything not in Europe or North America is of no interest to NATO. They can join some Pacific defense pact with Japan and the US as the core.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that anyone gives a shit what Russia calls things these days. Like seriously, if Putin called them rabbit toys it would have the same meaning as anything else he says. Russia is full of shit and we should refuse to play by their rules or accept their definitions. Once you start that, you're one step closer to accepting that Donetsk is now Russian.

On Moscow.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a sensible notion, Jonny.
    As I said, most people don't know the difference. Most tactical nukes are under the 500km range, which put Moscow out of range for most of them. Nuff said.

It is not a simple problem to answer. Who would fire it ? From where ? How should we respond ? Etc... I know we have a lot of armchair generals here, but get serious a little.
    Last edited by Specialka; 2022-10-03 at 04:11 PM.

On Moscow.
    Based fellow moderate.

The fact that we talk about "oh no, they'll use nukes!" tells me that ALL nukes are strategic.
    If they were "tactical" this wouldn't be an issues talked about this way.

There are small nukes and big nukes. All are strategic. None of them practical for warfare.

Using the North Atlantic term to define NATO's geographical limitations is quite inane given I don't know, that most of the members (Germany included) do not really border the North Atlantic. Georgia is actually considered one of the transcontinental countries as the Caucasus is widely considered the transcontinental barrier between Asia and Europe in the region (alongside the Urals, Ural river and the straits of Bosphorus and Dardanelles) and both Georgia and Azerbaijan extent at places on both sides of the range. Armenia is indeed solidly in Asia which is why I only included it provisionally there. NATO has officially recognized Georgia as an aspiring member.

And this entire mess SHOULD have ended back in 2008 when Russia did to Georgia EXACTLY what they would later do to Ukraine in 2014 and we all ignored it. So I don't know, maybe we should not be ignoring Georgia either.

As I said, most people don't know the difference. Most tactical nukes are under the 500km range, which put Moscow out of range for most of them. Nuff said.

It is not a simple problem to answer. Who would fire it ? From where ? How should we respond ? Etc... I know we have a lot of armchair generals here, but get serious a little.
    At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the definition of each is. If Russia uses any kind of weapon that has a nuclear payload the gloves are off and Russia is done. Maybe the rest of the world is done too if it escalates, but Russia certainly is. There is absolutely no excuse, naming convention or otherwise, that justifies the use of these weapons. Even if they fire off a nuke that only has the destructive capability to kill a small mouse. Glass them.

Naming conventions and what Russia considers nuclear armaments are irrelevant, the response will be the same either way.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the definition of each is. If Russia uses any kind of weapon that has a nuclear payload the gloves are off and Russia is done. Maybe the rest of the world is done too if it escalates, but Russia certainly is. There is absolutely no excuse, naming convention or otherwise, that justifies the use of these weapons. Even if they fire off a nuke that only has the destructive capability to kill a small mouse. Glass them.

Naming conventions and what Russia considers nuclear armaments are irrelevant, the response will be the same either way.
    If we glass Russia, we glass the world. Who knows how well maintained that massive arsenal has been since the '90s, but if only 30% are launch ready, there goes the Earth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feltima View Post
    If we glass Russia, we glass the world. Who knows how well maintained that massive arsenal has been since the '90s, but if only 30% are launch ready, there goes the Earth.
    With what we have seen they equip their soldiers, 30% seems waaaaay to generous.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can anyone who can read russian give some confirmation of this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisO_wi...KHuSgvKdrHQ0Tg

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    With what we have seen they equip their soldiers, 30% seems waaaaay to generous.
    Assuming that RU hasn't been saving its real arsenal for conflict with NATO in a similar manner to the US offloading billions worth of outdated(but still clearly formidable) hardware, all the more reason to believe the controllers are in good shape. The reason I say this, is that having a launch-ready nuclear arsenal comparable to the USA is far more valuable than maintaining a conventional military.

- - - Updated - - -

JFC, wild if true.

Yeah, no.

On paper, the amount of money russia spends on their nuclear arsenal is in the same ballpark as the UK and France. That's something like 100-300 deployed warheads. Knowing russia, 10-90% of that money was funneled into crocodil and prostitutes, so the number of nukes they would be able to launch is a fraction of the number that the Doomsayers like to parrot.

7+ Year Old Account
    Assuming that RU hasn't been saving its real arsenal for conflict with NATO in a similar manner to the US offloading billions worth of outdated(but still clearly formidable) hardware, all the more reason to believe the controllers are in good shape. The reason I say this, is that having a launch-ready nuclear arsenal comparable to the USA is far more valuable than maintaining a conventional military.
    How often nukes are being used vs using a conventional army? Nuclear weapons are primarily a deterrence that no one wants to test, therefore you don't need them usable. You need a message that you have nukes that are usable. So I think it is way more possible that all this supposed stockpile has been mostly rotting away, considering the state of Russian economy, corruption in army and general cost of maintaining nukes. Russia kept saying they have a might army, and it was all lies.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-10-03 at 06:32 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

What if like...people don't buy all that shit? Like, eventually conscripts are gonna rebel over being forced into debt their families can't afford to buy supplies for a losing war they don't want to go to and may not return from while their countries economy remains in the tank? I know some lad already shot up a conscription center or something but like, how long until that shit spreads?

7+ Year Old Account
    Oooooooof shits getting personal:

And that is why Putin will never use nukes, because not only will everyone die, but he and his country dies too, there is no winner when you let one of those off the leash, all other justifications and comparisons are irrelevant.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..