Poll: Do you like Dragonriding?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    Oh, so basically once you are fully upgraded Whirling Surge is self sustaining. This should alleviate a lot of the anxiety and complaints about dragon riding (mine included)
    once you are fully upgraded all your abilities are pretty much self sustaining.

Your surge forward gives a meh boost, however the slower you are moving the more powerful it is, so you should focus on using it when at your slowest, just before a whirling surge, which is your biggest boost, but has a high cost and cooldown, meaning if you fuck it up you will be recovering. and skyward ascent laucnhes you upwards, giving you a sudden boost into the air, which if you follow will give you a small speed increase.

but yeah at full skill you can easily become self sustaining, and with practive and skill you can easily cross the continent no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Dragonriding is probably the #1 reason I'm not getting DF (though not the only reason by any stretch).

I don't want my movement to be a minigame. I just want it to get me from A to B so I can play the ACTUAL game there.

If I ever give DF a chance, it'll be after regular flying is enabled.
    For me, it's the other Way around. Dragon Riding is one of the most immersive Features they added in a long time. Sure, it's no longer just swimming in the air where you just could stand still, but it adds so much to the immersion and adds a bit of "physical realism" to the game. I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Surge will give you Thrill of the Ride for a while (3 seconds) but once it is done you will lose the buff soon after if you are not moving slightly downward. It will almost always give you 1 vigor back unless you surge straight up. Or at least that's my experience with it. Maybe lag makes it less responsive and I lose the buff faster?
    You shouldnt be using surge to try and get thrill of the ride, surge is what you use to get an initial boost, it works better when you are slower, so you always use it to then lead into a downward fall or a whirl, that way you get as far into thrill as you can.

Think of it like kicking off the edge of the pool at the start of the race, it works cause it gives you an initial boost of speed, but if you are already moving that boost is not gunna be as effective as you are already moving away from the wall.

Oh, so basically once you are fully upgraded Whirling Surge is self sustaining. This should alleviate a lot of the anxiety and complaints about dragon riding (mine included)
    Whirling Surge still has a 30 sec cooldown and a 3 sec duration. You still need to hit them with the surge (so pass through them in that 3 second window) and if you miss you'll have to wait for it to be available again.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    You want to run away from them?
    No, I don't want them to run away from me. I mean as far as I'm concerned I can just press my glider+stealth button anyway.

but yeah at full skill you can easily become self sustaining, and with practive and skill you can easily cross the continent no problem.
    And a lot faster than with a regular flying mount too, which is why the complaints seem really unfounded. In fact I kind of hope that in the end people will not even really want regular flying mounts back. Their only purpose is going afk, and if that's what you really want you may as well dragon ride to the nearest flight path and use that then go afk.
    Last edited by ClownPrincess; 2022-10-03 at 10:42 AM.

You shouldnt be using surge to try and get thrill of the ride, surge is what you use to get an initial boost, it works better when you are slower, so you always use it to then lead into a downward fall or a whirl, that way you get as far into thrill as you can.

Think of it like kicking off the edge of the pool at the start of the race, it works cause it gives you an initial boost of speed, but if you are already moving that boost is not gunna be as effective as you are already moving away from the wall.
    Honestly I don't really use whirl much. I will flap up, surge forward to a slight downward direction to build thrill and then maintain thrill by using ascent, Surging only if I am actually going to be moving downard and have the vigor to spend. So if you are moving within Thaldrazsus were your easy high points are not much higher than the rest of the zone, I'll mostly be ascending. Now if I am going from Valdrakken to Shore then yeah, surge on CD.

No, I don't want them to run away from me. I mean as far as I'm concerned I can just press my glider+stealth button anyway.
    So treat it like you would a fighter plane, you want to get behind your target, and then take them out, although in this case it would be get behind them and then whirling surge through, a good way to do this being find a high up place look for people below then fly down and quickly pull up then whirl through them.

To be fair your best bet to be a nuisance is to wait for people in Seat of the Aspects heading to the lower three zones. Wait for an opposing faction member to fly off then follow behind them. Once they are out of sanctuary, knock them off. They will be so far up in the air compared to the ground that gliding to ground could take longer than goblin gliders last.
    I don't know, I just bubble down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly I don't really use whirl much. I will flap up, surge forward to a slight downward direction to build thrill and then maintain thrill by using ascent, Surging only if I am actually going to be moving downard and have the vigor to spend. So if you are moving within Thaldrazsus were your easy high points are not much higher than the rest of the zone, I'll mostly be ascending. Now if I am going from Valdrakken to Shore then yeah, surge on CD.
    and that is why you are having issues, whirl gives you such a large speed boost if you use it while going down you are likely hitting the speed cap, meaning wasted speed, meaning wasted momentum.

think of it like terminal velocity, if you hit terminal velocity, it does not matter if you fall for 10 seconds or 10,000 seconds, you will still go same speed, which when it comes to getting the most out of your distance, is not good.

you should be using whirl more, especially as an abilty you use to go straight forward, as i showed in the video going flat straight forward you can gain 2 of the 3 energy back used for it no problem, with zero downwards falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    They confirmed ages ago that regular flying will be coming to the isles.
    Let me guess, 6 months to a year into the expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Probably a year. With Dragonriding offering extremely fast travel, they'll be in no hurry to implement normal flying in the first patch. I'd expect it with 10.2 at the half point mark of the expac.

And a lot faster than with a regular flying mount too, which is why the complaints seem really unfounded. In fact I kind of hope that in the end people will not even really want regular flying mounts back. Their only purpose is going afk, and if that's what you really want you may as well dragon ride to the nearest flight path and use that then go afk.
    Honestly this kind of sums it up. I would be as happy with highly effective flight paths as I would be with flying. The world isn't what interests me in wow so getting from place A to B for me is best when it's as simplistic as possible.

I don't mind dragon flying but I just want to move in a straight line as effortlessly as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I would hazard a guess at second patch myself it's the usual time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    Honestly this kind of sums it up. I would be as happy with highly effective flight paths as I would be with flying. The world isn't what interests me in wow so getting from place A to B for me is best when it's as simplistic as possible.

I don't mind dragon flying but I just want to move in a straight line as effortlessly as possible.
    A few keystrokes in exchange for a much faster flight speed isn't that bad of a trade off, no?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    It's alive enough for me. I mean there are people running around in war mode, that's all you need.
    This is either incredibly naive, or incredibly misinformed. If all you've got is one side in War Mode, it's not World PVP. If you've got 10 Horde an 1 Alliance, it's not World PVP. These are the most common scenarios (though sometimes it's more Alliance than Horde, of course) you run into in WoW today.

A few keystrokes in exchange for a much faster flight speed isn't that bad of a trade off, no?
    I mean you are just asking me to confirm what I posted...

I have nearly no interest in the world part of world of warcraft. I might grab a transmog or a mount I want but that's it.

I do like the visual customization of dragon flying though.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't feel great. I would have preferred if we got regular flying with the new features added on top. They're taking away a lot of what makes flying fun and I don't think they're making up for it enough.
    Hmmm what is fun in flying ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    This is either incredibly naive, or incredibly misinformed. If all you've got is one side in War Mode, it's not World PVP. If you've got 10 Horde an 1 Alliance, it's not World PVP. These are the most common scenarios (though sometimes it's more Alliance than Horde, of course) you run into in WoW today.
    It's informed by my actual, direct experience of playing the actual game, for some amount of time during each expansion pack over the years since classic as well as recently on live and the last few days in the beta. What is informing your "most common scenarios"? The situations that come to your mind because you remember them the most?

Because it sounds a lot like the people who says things like "the alliance always lose BGs" despite their own win/loss ratio in the armory being close or even above 50% victory rate.
    Last edited by ClownPrincess; 2022-10-03 at 03:15 PM.

I like how there's a non-insignificant number of players voting 'no' or providing feedback on why they'll hate it before they even get a chance to use it.

Never change, MMO-C.

Wait is this actually confirmed? Last thing I recall was Ion saying they have no plans to make regular flying available but they'll see what the response to dragonriding is. The only note on this was they mentioned if it was well received they'd want to extend it to the rest of the world, not the other way around.

I'm biased as I love the idea of bringing the "minigame" to flying, i.e. making more of my time in game actually playing a game instead of afk swimming through the air.

Hmm sort of. It's fun when you drop from somewhere tall but frustrating when you are down and want to get somewhere tall. I have to take a FP to get back up. For now it does not seem too imprecise too me, but Im only level 63 so haven't done much.
    I can understand though that this will be a massive pain to clickers. My guild master, who can only use one hand properly, cried because it was very hard for her. She has mostly accepted that she will use a ground mount everywhere. Not sure what they were thinking when they implemented this, I feel this will upset many people.