Poll: Do you like Dragonriding?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    Not as simple though, as having access to regular flying would for example make the harder-to-reach dragonglyphs in Thaldrazsus trivial if you could just hop on your noclip minecraft hover mode and go there.

My bet is that their plan is to roll out regular flying for «old» DF content and keep dragonriding the only option in new ones so they can put more hard-to-reach areas with rewards for those who want them there.
    Require players to be on their Dragon Riding Mount to acquire a Glyph and disable normal mounting in a radius around them. Solved with no way to cheese it.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    I'll ignore the analogy cause that just didn't work well.
    No, I'd rather fly myself to a destination than use a taxi mount because I'll need to mount up and travel the last mile anyway.
    But you don't understand - pressing autorun while flying is a piece of core gameplay that's been in the game since TBC! That means changing it into something more active is blasphemy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    It's informed by my actual, direct experience of playing the actual game, for some amount of time during each expansion pack over the years since classic as well as recently on live and the last few days in the beta. What is informing your "most common scenarios"? The situations that come to your mind because you remember them the most?

Because it sounds a lot like the people who says things like "the alliance always lose BGs" despite their own win/loss ratio in the armory being close or even above 50% victory rate.
    BGs aren't war mode. BGs are cross-realm and select from a much wider pool of candidates. War mode is far more limited. Have you not seen the faction imbalance charts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    I just got in the beta today and I have to say I'm very disappointed with how Dragonriding feels, especially after everyone hyped it up as being "better than normal flying".
    How far did you get? Because Dragon Riding when introduced vs Dragon Riding after finding all the glyphs (aka fully upgraded) are very different experiences.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    There is almost 20 years of built up stuff around how players overwhelmingly want non-interactive travel. From the original vanilla to now the primary goal of travel in WoW has been "how to get from A to B without fighting anything" while also giving a chance for a bathroom break, getting a drink, or changing your music playlist.

Removing that will be disastrous to subscription levels, player engagement, and playtime in general.
    And that's the reality they'll have to deal with. OG flying was implemented as a reward but became a necessity for optimal travel, safety, and convenience. The devs only have themselves to blame for the situation and player division, because of the antagonistic relationship they chose to have with it since WoD.

If they want to reinvent it or change it, they're going to make something appealing to the majority of retained players (current and new)--knowing they'll make everyone else upset. And realistically, I don't think holding off on normal flying on one continent will be that disastrous. If people have survived when there was NO flying until some arbitrary benchmark that the devs determined is "fair" for our qol vs their pride, "clunky gliders" won't murder the appeal if the rest of the game is still decent.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    BGs aren't war mode. BGs are cross-realm and select from a much wider pool of candidates. War mode is far more limited. Have you not seen the faction imbalance charts?
    Having played both factions and having shards with both factions having more players than the other... Sharding makes a difference. It equals out, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    The comparison I made was with the BGs was about the fact that I suspect that like what players do with the BG thing, what you are saying may not be an objective representation of what you are really experiencing. I wasn't saying that warmode and BGs themselves are comparable when it comes to faction balance.

To the subject at hand, I tried the dismounting thing and it does work. Kind of easy to lose track of your target afterwards, especially if it's a bloody drakthyr. Skill issues though, I'll have to practice.
    Last edited by ClownPrincess; 2022-10-03 at 10:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive found dragon riding pretty fun with my short time in beta. took a little to get use to but was easy enough to figure out and when I got the Thrill of the Sky talent I was able to effectively just stay in the sky without touching the ground and it just became more and more easy the more Talents I unlocked.

the most recent build actually gave the Glyphs a Glowing effect to see from a distance and an emote " your drake senses a Dragon Glyph nearby" to alert you when one is close, but Handy notes will have pinpoints on day one
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    Handy notes will have pinpoints on day one
    Heck, it already have it:
    https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addon...-dragon-glyphs

It only displays those you haven't gotten yet, that's pretty neat.

Best part of the expansion for me, hope they expand on it and yes, eventually replace boring regular flying with it )))))

Normal flying is literally the equivalent of "use dev tools to hover above ground" or just minecraft's creative mode.

I'm glad they are putting actual gameplay in the game. It was long overdue.

As for the people saying "I can't afk" Then just take 10 seconds to find some place to afk where mobs won't kill you. If it's an emergency then that's more important that mobs killing you anyway, you'll be fine.

I've been playing with it maxed and it's really great. If you start going between various points of interest you start knowing exactly at which place to accelerate, which places to draft up to optimize it.
    A fun exercise is to get from wingrest embassy to valdrakken in one trip. You have to make an approach to the city around the correct side to be able to grab a galewind to climb the final part.
    Heck, apparently you can also unlock the ability to transport passengers so I guess you could have fun doing a taxi service to transport noobs around the place (or "accidentally" press your glider key during the trip)

I would like if it was applied to all mounts and maybe it will be in some form, but i feel its just another single expac gimmick, and Im beyond tired of those, I want new stuff that expands expansions for a change.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Its a great compromise. Standard flying takes all the interesting design out of the content on the ground, so adding a skill and progression based alternative bridges that gap quite well.
    Its going to really play loudly on launch night honestly.
    If you use it well you can significantly cut hours off your leveling practice. And it becomes near mandatory later.

The best thing about it is they are able to make much bigger and grander zones thanks to its addition.

It took a few hours for me to get used to though, so I would heavily recommend at least making an evoker and trying out the racial there during prepatch.
    Or ideally get on the beta and go unlock it and fly around for a bit and see how it works for you.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    I would like if it was applied to all mounts and maybe it will be in some form, but i feel its just another single expac gimmick, and Im beyond tired of those, I want new stuff that expands expansions for a change.
    they will apply it to all mounts and keep it going forward if people like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I tried it and it's ok. I don't like or dislike it, but it's not as good or varied as GW2 mounts.
    If you played GW2 mounts this is heavy discount, cheap mount riding.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I tried it and it's ok. I don't like or dislike it, but it's not as good or varied as GW2 mounts.
    If you played GW2 mounts this is heavy discount, cheap mount riding.
    i played a lot of gw2, last time i played though they didnt have customizable mounts, when did they add those?

For those who keep saying "it is just fancy gliding"
    https://twitter.com/Fishbones06/stat...45457637093376
    come on now.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    i played a lot of gw2, last time i played though they didnt have customizable mounts, when did they add those?

For those who keep saying "it is just fancy gliding"
    https://twitter.com/Fishbones06/stat...45457637093376
    come on now.
    The fanciest of gliding of course. I havent unlocked the other moves yet just the base ones and maxed out the tree. Still had fun with the base moveset
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Barreling in at full speed, crashing loudly and stunning everyone around is also a very stylish and satifsfying way to arrive at an outpost.

disclaimer: the following comes from a spoiled druid who is used to insta-flight-shift whenever

i'm afraid this is a feature that's only fun after a certain point/maxing it out

currently i have unlocked only 3 or 4 nodes in the dragon riding skill tree and to me it's only useful when going from a higher spot to a lower spot. if i need to get from A to B and B is at the same or higher elevation, i spend 1 or 2 of my (currently) 4 vigor to gain altitude and then spend the rest on the forward surge to get some speed. For long-distance flying i always go for a flight master because i can't imagine being able to get there with my dragon. this might be an intentional limitation to encourage getting all the glyphs or i am just that bad.

so far, i can't remember going 2-3 times the speed of normal flying like a lot of people in here are talking about; so i either haven't unlocked that yet, i am doing something very wrong or my perception of speed is flawed and i just didn't notice.

failing to reach a higher up spot feels quite punishing. i'd end up in a spot below with no vigor left and i just stand around waiting for vigor to replenish. currently thats about 25 seconds per point? with 4 vigor max that's 100 seconds of just idling around. even if i might need only 1 or 2 points to reach the spot, most of the times i'd wait for all of them to replenish because i don't want to find myself in the situation where i spent 2 points, barely not reaching it again, having just wasted 50 seconds just idling.
    again, it's a matter of training/knowing the environment

currently it feels like an oversized, scaly leap frog and i'm collecting all the glyphs i encounter waiting for the moment i start to enjoy the experience
    No matter how relevant the post, I will stop reading after 'should of'.