Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Ogres, WOD Ogres and the question regarding model-updates

So Ogres have been around since vanilla, but got a neat upgrade in WOD.

Now I believe it was said somewhere that old Ogres weren't upgraded because the WOD Ogres were from a different timeline, hence different.. but in the Arathi warfront, we do see the new models.

So ARE the orges THAT different? And if not.. why not upgrade the models across the board?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the same reason why some high elves (such as in the Ghostlands) still use the vanilla model too, Blizzard either forgot or were too lazy and just kept them as is.

They're not different whatsoever compared to MU ogres, so there's no reason to not give them the model update.

At the time I think they were holding back since WoD's ogres had more advanced armor/weapons/etc... and the ogres on Azeroth had all been simple cavemen for the most part. They wanted there to be a clear distinction between the two. The further we get from WoD the less that distinction matters and so Blizz has started using the newer models.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much because Blizzard is a very lazy developer.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

10+ Year Old Account
    I long for the day they upgrade models across the board with their updated versions!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    Pretty much because Blizzard is a very lazy developer.
    The last 8 years of WoW development in a nutshell.

By the way, what do you thing about Ogres using Ku'tiran Human's rig sceleton and most animations? I think that would fit to them. Ofc brand new would be always a better option, but looking realisticly, using current rigs is more probable. And among all Kul'tirans seems to have the closest build. But rather not sooner then releasing them as playable race.

Reason is actually more simple than just being a dick and saying "oh no blizzard lazy". And hell I know Blizzard can be lazy.

Back in WoD, they only revamped the one headed ogre model. The only two headed ogre model they've released was Imperator Mar'gok and it mainly was for lore reason. They since didn't had any reason to revamp them. I also think they might want to do the ogres a better rework as they're a pretty important race in WoW and they might just be fleshed out more just like tuskarr or centaurs were in Dragonflight.

Quote Originally Posted by i3ackero View Post
    By the way, what do you thing about Ogres using Ku'tiran Human's rig sceleton and most animations? I think that would fit to them. Ofc brand new would be always a better option, but looking realisticly, using current rigs is more probable. And among all Kul'tirans seems to have the closest build. But rather not sooner then releasing them as playable race.
    Rexxar's new model is very ogre-esque (Compared to his more orc-y portrayals in the past) and runs off the KT rig fine. Mind my main thing there has been on the 'make ogres playable Blizzard' train

Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    I long for the day they upgrade models across the board with their updated versions!
    Haven't they been doing that for years like the BfA Quillboars updated the Barrens ones etc?

That excuse wouldn't even make any sense anymore. I am pretty sure Exile's Reach uses the WoD models. But then again the idea of ogre "ruins" on Azeroth is just nonsense to begin with.

Personally I like the vanilla models better. They decided to make the WoD ones more muscular rather than chubby for some reason.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2022-10-03 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecheon View Post
    Rexxar's new model is very ogre-esque (Compared to his more orc-y portrayals in the past) and runs off the KT rig fine. Mind my main thing there has been on the 'make ogres playable Blizzard' train
    Cause he is a half orc half ogre, the whole point is he was always supposed to look like this, but back in the day they didnt want to make a unique model+rig for him.

- - - Updated - - -

They have been doing this sine like... mop?
    Yeti, spiders, birds, quillboar, furbolg, kobolds, gnoll, golems, etc, so many mobs have been updated new and old world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChairmanKaga View Post
    Haven't they been doing that for years like the BfA Quillboars updated the Barrens ones etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Cause he is a half orc half ogre, the whole point is he was always supposed to look like this, but back in the day they didnt want to make a unique model+rig for him.

- - - Updated - - -

They have been doing this sine like... mop?
    Yeti, spiders, birds, quillboar, furbolg, kobolds, gnoll, golems, etc, so many mobs have been updated new and old world.
    Yeah but still a lot of models have hd-upgrades and are still untouched.

- Ogres
    - Faction structures
    - trees/shrubs
    - Tigers, etc...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    That excuse wouldn't even make any sense anymore. I am pretty sure Exile's Reach uses the WoD models. But then again the idea of ogre "ruins" on Azeroth is just nonsense to begin with.

Personally I like the vanilla models better. They decided to make the WoD ones more muscular rather than chubby for some reason.
    Exile's Reach isn't the only place on Azeroth to have ogre ruins though.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Main Universe Orcs were also graphically updated in WOD when we encountered all the new orcs, including the ones in Outland. Don't think too hard about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtwili View Post
    Probably the same reason why some high elves (such as in the Ghostlands) still use the vanilla model too, Blizzard either forgot or were too lazy and just kept them as is.

They're not different whatsoever compared to MU ogres, so there's no reason to not give them the model update.
    Probably the same reason why some high elves (such as in the Ghostlands) still use the vanilla model too, Blizzard knows cringey edgelords would complain if they changed them.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post

True; they did it for Exile's Reach.. now let's do it for the rest of the game!

But I agree with you on the models. I preferred the anatomy of the old models... but I do love me some HD updates!

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The last 8 years of WoW development in a nutshell.
    That's the thing: They cannot say that they don't have the manpower to create content as the sheer size of the WoW Team is huge. They've shown they can crank out a lot of content in a short time frame. But there's huge gaps in what is released and who's doing what that cannot be explained.

So Ogres have been around since vanilla, but got a neat upgrade in WOD.

Now I believe it was said somewhere that old Ogres weren't upgraded because the WOD Ogres were from a different timeline, hence different.. but in the Arathi warfront, we do see the new models.

So ARE the orges THAT different? And if not.. why not upgrade the models across the board?
    Because you are maybe 10 ppl only care about this

I'm sure their excuse is "we want to work on creating new content and leave the old stuff in the past", but they definitely do have the resources to pull it off if they wanted to update all old models.