Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    There is popular and only selling a few thousands copies here and there over many decades so you are talking nonsense, the books didnt sell that great at all in reality until the films released, thats considered popular not the small amount sold over several decades.

His writing is long winded and spends far too much time explaining pointless things, he also has many occasions where things just dont make sense so and his writing style is about mythology and history not about actually telling a story so yes his writing is not great at all.
    The fact you would sit here and argue that his work wasn't that popular says that you are not even talking in the realms of reality and in your own opinions. It is the success of the Hobbit, which Tolkien never had initially planned to publish, that caused the publisher asked him for a sequel and led to the creation of Lord of the Rings. Obviously that means the sales of the Hobbit were successful enough to justify that sequel.
    Last edited by InfiniteCharger; 2022-10-05 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    So they killed her? Elves are just as killable as humans, so a volcano would kill her right?

I assume she did that to save the people who were fleeing in some way to protect them from the exploding volcano and died to save the lives of others?

So she's dead? They are moving on to a new protagonist?
    They've released a promo picture of what happens... At least what I assume is this event. Where she is just covered in ash and everything is red.
    So no, that won't happen. She will just take the volcano ash.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Your point seemed to be about fantasy not taking combat seriously, which isn't really true as in the "rules" around combat that have developed in D&D and MMOs as the epitome of fantasy to most people today. Xena had somewhat exaggerated action and of course on a 90s tv budget and was decent for what it was, but that show is not 'representative' of all fantasy. And so the point I was making is that the combat in Tolkien is basically an extension of medieval combat and not really far out and fantastical like World of Warcraft. This series doesn't take combat seriously at all which is why so many have commented on it.
    Aren"t we on the aame regard that RoP isn't Tolkien?

It's an adaptation of his work, but by no means held to any standard set by his writings in terms of how cimvat is portrayed.

The show is literally Xena or Pro wrestling level of fantasy fighting. And I didn't mean all fantasy fighting is Xena level, I was making a point that RoP specifically is overdramatized, and not using any modern HEMA or historic fighting styles really. It's overdramatized action.

The fact you would sit here and argue that his work wasn't that popular says that you are not even talking in the realms of reality and in your own opinions. It is the success of the Hobbit, which Tolkien never had initially planned to publish, that caused the publisher asked him for a sequel and led to the creation of Lord of the Rings. Obviously that means the sales of the Hobbit were successful enough to justify that sequel.
    The books barely sold any copies before the films, at most a few hundred thousand copies sold over several decades, that is not considered popular no matter how hard you try and spin it. Book sales have no impact on what gets put into a movie or not, studios dont want to create whole new stories and universes when they can get the rights to use pre existing ones.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2022-10-05 at 01:26 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    And again, you're doing it not knowing the actual story. So to be precise, you're arguing that the character of Arondir is unnecessary to the story in the context of the small part of the story we actually know, which is obtuse. This whole debacle between you and rhorle is pointless, and serves only to give you a "I told you so" platform to preach from if - and that's a big if - Arondir indeed turns out to be unnecessary for the whole story.
    I've been clear about expressing my opinion based on the context of the 6 eps we have so far.

They could have Arondir become high general of the Elves of the Southland Reclamation Army in season 2, and it wouldn't affect what I'm saying about the here and now. Cuz if thus is just build up to something like that, I would just as well argue that they could have or should have just spent time on the other arcs, and introduce a more prominent Arondir character for S2 with some flashback scenes for context. Literally move the prison scenes into next season to give context to this character instead of fronting it now, where there's already too many plotlines to follow.

But it's clear to me they want this character here and now in S1. For what I believe are obvious reasons that others can feel free to disagree with me on.

- - - Updated - - -

The books barely sold any copies before the films, at most a few hundred thousand copies sold over several decades, that is not considered popular no matter how hard you try and spin it. Book sales have no impact on what gets put into a movie or not, studios dont want to create whole new stories and universes when they can get the rights to use pre existing ones.
    You seriously downplay how many sales the books had prior to the PJ movies.

It's not a few hundred thousand copies, it's closer to 100 million. Over in fact, before the PJ movies came out.

https://atomtickets.com/movie-news/h...oks-to-movies/

J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings had sold 100 million copies in almost half a century before the movie’s release

Can you give a source for where you pull a few hundred thousand copies sold?
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-05 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    You seriously downplay how many sales the books had prior to the PJ movies.

It's not a few hundred thousand copies, it's closer to 100 million. Over in fact, before the PJ movies came out.

Its already been proven in this thread that global sales in 2003 was 50 million, 2 years after the first films release so dont talk total nonsense. Total global sales hit 150 million in 2007. There is not much other information on sales apart from selling a few thousand copies here and there prior to the films.

Even tolkien himself writing a letter to another author that is helping him improve his writing style stated book sales were not that great.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2022-10-05 at 01:43 PM.

I've been clear about expressing my opinion based on the context of the 6 eps we have so far.
    Now matter how clear you are about it, it's still pointless and obtuse. You use this argument to force @rhorle into defending a position that needs no defending (hopefully he realizes that rather sooner than later) and to make the show look worse than it actually is. But hey, you can always argue later that maybe this Arondir dude was indeed necessary for the story, but not in season 1, because why not flashbacks! Bravo, sir. That's a win-win for you no matter how you look at it. A damn tactical masterclass (for people blind enough to not to see what you're trying to accomplish here).

Yet still completely pointless.
    Last edited by Rageonit; 2022-10-05 at 01:50 PM.

Its already been proven in this thread that global sales in 2003 was 50 million, 2 years after the first films release so dont talk total nonsense. Total global sales hit 150 million in 2007. There is not much other information on sales apart from selling a few thousand copies here and there prior to the films.

Even tolkien himself writing a letter to another author that is helping him improve his writing style stated book sales were not that great.
    Ah, you edited your post..

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen..._the_king.html

"Thanks partly to filmmaker Peter Jackson, the Tolkien brand has never been stronger. Fully one-third of the 150 million copies of The Lord of the Rings sold to date were purchased after the release of the first film in the series."

If we are to believe this article, you really have no idea what you are talking about.
    If you were correct, it would also mean the LOTR books sold like 149.6m copies of the book between 2001-2007.

Ofc book sales has an impact on if a movie is created or not.

You must be trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by frn1 View Post

"Thanks partly to filmmaker Peter Jackson, the Tolkien brand has never been stronger. Fully one-third of the 150 million copies of The Lord of the Rings sold to date were purchased after the release of the first film in the series."

If we are to believe this article, you really have no idea what you are talking about.
    If you were correct, it would also mean the LOTR books sold like 149.6m copies of the book between 2001-2007.

You must be trolling.
    "That's just in the U.S.," Harper says. "Tolkien has been a cultural phenomenon for years. The Lord of the Rings has sold 50 million copies worldwide. But there's been nothing like the audience growth we've experienced coinciding with the new movies. I know of no other publishing experience like it." an article from 2003

as i have already said it has been proven that most of the books were not sold prior to the films, as you can read 50 million sales worldwide in 2003, the article you posted only mentions 50 million books being sold after the first film in the series so obviously the other sales happened after the other films released to bring the total to 150 million sales over 7 years or do you believe no more books sold at all over several years after the successfull films released. Around 7 years is more than reasonable to expect up to 150 million books to sell.

Dont embarrass yourself by posting when you dont know anything in the first place.

Infracted for continued derailing/trolling.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-10-05 at 08:06 PM.

They could have Arondir become high general of the Elves of the Southland Reclamation Army in season 2, and it wouldn't affect what I'm saying about the here and now. Cuz if thus is just build up to something like that, I would just as well argue that they could have or should have just spent time on the other arcs, and introduce a more prominent Arondir character for S2 with some flashback scenes for context. Literally move the prison scenes into next season to give context to this character instead of fronting it now, where there's already too many plotlines to follow.
    Oh, and BTW - you're also wrong. You do not introduce an important character late by the way of flashbacks; that always smells like an afterthought, a deus ex machina. You give an important character enough exposition to let the reader/watcher indentify with the character's choices later on and to create catalysts for said choices. So yeah, your idea would make the show worse.
    Last edited by Rageonit; 2022-10-05 at 04:43 PM.

So they killed her? Elves are just as killable as humans, so a volcano would kill her right?
    All we see if her enveloped by a cloud of ash. She isn't swallowed by lava or anything. Nothing that would stop a gal that swims a few thousand kilometers through the ocean.

I assume she did that to save the people who were fleeing in some way to protect them from the exploding volcano and died to save the lives of others?
    You haven't seen this Galadriel hmm? She isn't the kind that safes people, because all people are always holding her back. Nope, she just stood and watched as the cloud came and swallowed her. No heroics and no change in her face either. By this point I wonder if the actress has more then one expression. It really doesn't look like it.

But really I am not expecting this one to be heroic at all. One of the most characterizing scenes was where she slowly and deliberatedly told an elf that was tortured and broken that she will hunt down all he cares about and murder them and only after that she will kill the elf himself.

Yes, she is talking about Orcs. But Adar is still a victim of Morgoth. Tortured out of his mind, with his body broken. Where does Galadriel get this insane hatred towards him? It is such a weird scene that makes her look like the villain of it all.

Heck, if we soon learn that Galadriel is actually Sauron and the real Galadriel is still swimming back to Middleearth then I would not be surprised in the least.

So she's dead? They are moving on to a new protagonist?
    The fact that she is alive and kicking a few thousand years later kinda gives that away. No, I fear she will stick around and be insufferable for the rest of the series.
    Last edited by Raisei; 2022-10-05 at 02:03 PM.

Now matter how clear you are about it, it's still pointless and obtuse. You use this argument to force @rhorle into defending a position that needs no defending (hopefully he realizes that rather sooner than later) and to make the show look worse than it actually is. But hey, you can always argue later that maybe this Arondir dude was indeed necessary for the story, but not in season 1, because why not flashbacks! Bravo, sir. That's a win-win for you no matter how you look at it. A damn tactical masterclass (for people blind enough to not to see what you're trying to accomplish here).

Yet still completely pointless.
    How is it pointless to express an opinion about the show as it is right now?

He doesn't have to defend anything, just like you don't have to defend anything, because ultimately we're discussing opinions. I'm not making any claim of empirical fact that the character needs to be removed to the plot, merely sharing my observations that I don't think he's been very necessary to it so far. I don't see how that is pointless when that is the entire point being made. It's an observation.

Just like I would say about Tauriel or Radagast in the Hobbit films. I wouldn't say they could be cut for the purpose of making them look worse, the point is that their scenes are unnecessary for the overall plot for the most part.

How is it pointless to express an opinion about the show as it is right now?
    No, that's not what we're talking about here. There are plenty of opinions about the show in this thread I'm fine with, both good & bad.
    We're talking about calling out Chekhov's guns for a story we don't know yet. THAT'S pointless, and mean-spirited. And you "being clear" that you're doing it in the context of a couple of episodes does not change that. It's clear that your grudges with the character have nothing to do with the actual merits of the story; and your proposed changes to the story would only work for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by frn1 View Post

You must be trolling.
    Don't bother. He will argue that black is white even when he has already posted evidence to the contrary. He's spent years defending Star Citizen, that's all you need to know.

15+ Year Old Account
    He didn't publish those works. Your point about his personal discussions don't matter to this fundamental point. Those things weren't published and they were not part of any rights that he gave to United Artists.
    I have never said they were published. His discussions to matter if he was using those works to support his world to fans and friends. Again he never saw a line between published and unpublished. It isn't clear at what point the "limited match rights" to Tolkien's other if ever brought to film was added to the deal. It doesn't matter if Tolkien did or did not finish something.

It doesn't matter if the Appendices were meant to be a story or not. They are published works. According to your own argument that means he was fine with them being used in adaptations.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

He never has sources. His numbers are always what he pulls out of his ass.

No, that's not what we're talking about here. There are plenty of opinions about the show in this thread I'm fine with, both good & bad.
    We're talking about calling out Chekhov's guns for a story we don't know yet. THAT'S pointless, and mean-spirited. And you "being clear" that you're doing it in the context of a couple of episodes does not change that. It's clear that your grudges with the character have nothing to do with the actual merits of the story; and your proposed changes to the story would only work for the worse.
    Couple episodes?

We're 6 episodes in and nothing about my opinion has changed on this character and how the show rolled out the arcs.

And not sure what you're complaining about since I don't have a grudge against the character at all. Just like I don't have a grudge over Tauriel or Radagast when I point out the same things about them not really being necessary to the plot. Anyone is free to disagree here.

The merits of the story are ultimately subjective, wouldn't you agree? If people don't like a romantic subplot interjected in The Hobbit, then the story doesn't have merit to it to these people.

I would make the same arguments in say cutting Jar Jar from Episode 1 to make the movie more concise, something which fans have done and has worked as a film edit. Not everyone has to agree with the edits, but I can still say that the plot of A Phantom Menace still works without Jar Jar in it. Whether Jar Jar himself and his scenes are worth any merit is up to individuals to decide.

What you're deciding on as the merits of the story, and edits that make it worse, are merely your opinion. And I respect your opinion if you're merely expressing it as a means of disagreement. It doesn't mean the story can only be told one way though, and that is my point.

There are plenty fan edits and directors cuts of movies that already exist that work to improve on the way these films/shows present their story. Whether you agree with them or not is merely opinion. I'm merely presenting my observations as if they were a film edit, and I'm not holding anyone to a standard to have to agree.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-05 at 03:18 PM.

The merits of the story are ultimately subjective, wouldn't you agree?
    Some are, others aren't.

Whether something's a Chekhov's gun or not is not a matter of opinion; it either is, or isn't. And if something is or isn't a Chekhov's gun can only be know in the context of the whole story. Enlighten me then, please - what's the point of calling something a Chekhov's gun in the context of a small fragment of the story..? Because you did it atfer what, two episodes? Three? I CBA to look it up, but I'm not wrong. Well, now it's after 6 episodes (of a supposedly 5 season show, but whatever). So you are playing the "I told you so" card after all.

Of course you have a grudge against the character.

- - - Updated - - -

What you're deciding on as the merits of the story, and edits that make it worse, are merely your opinion. And I respect your opinion if you're merely expressing it as a means of disagreement.
    And now you're hiding behind "merely an opinion"? No, bad writing is bad writing, I thought that much was clear, especially in the thread about Rings of Power! Introducing main character by the way of flashbacks is bad writing, period.

And you know what's funny? If they did introduce Arondir in season 2 using flashbacks, how do you think people would react...? Give it a good thought, you're a smart guy.
    Last edited by Rageonit; 2022-10-05 at 03:24 PM.

Some are, others aren't.

Whether something's a Chekhov's gun or not is not a matter of opinion; it either is, or isn't. And if something is or isn't a Chekhov's gun can only be know in the context of the whole story. Enlighten me then, please - what's the point of calling something a Chekhov's gun in the context of a small fragment of the story..? Because you did it atfer what, two episodes? Three? I CBA to look it out, but I'm not wrong. Well, now it's after 6 episodes (of a supposedly 5 season show, but whatever). So you are playing the "I told you so" card after all.
    I'm past the Chekhov's gun analogy, and I'll own up to misappropriating it as such. My argument is more that the watchtower itself is contrived more than a setup for a strong payoff. Having it been the location of the sword being used wasn't really something properly set up for the right payoff. I feel like they should have seeded that statue with the hilt in an earlier episode to better make use of it, but even then it wouldn't really change my thoughts on how this entire arc was handled. Having the watchtower be an important location felt forced to me, more than actually be intended for its use. In the end, the battle didn't even end up happening there.

Of course you have a grudge against the character.
    What grudge do I hold against the character? Please elaborate since you seem to be an expert.

And now you're hiding behind "merely an opinion"? No, bad writing is bad writing, I thought that much was clear, especially in the thread about Rings of Power! Introducing main character by the way of flashbacks is bad writing, period.
    "Bad writing" is heavily contextual, would you agree? I would argue that it's completely subjective.

I think it's Bad writing because it omits key information that I expect to have to understand a proper setup and payoff. Proper foreshadowing, for example. That's just one example of a subjective take on "Bad writing".

Subjectively, people can even call Tolkien's work Bad Writing if they're talking about the pacing and writing style. It wouldn't be wrong in that context.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-05 at 03:30 PM.

Well, was I wrong? No. I told you so then. If that's how you want to frame it then that's how I'll frame it for you.
    There's no other way do defend it, is there.

What grudge do I hold against the character? Please elaborate since you seem to be an expert.
    Thing is, I'd also like to know.

"Bad writing" is heavily contextual, would you agree? I would argue that it's completely subjective.
    No, bad writing is not completely subjective (if it is, it makes literary studies one big hoax).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm past the Chekhov's gun analogy, and I'll own up to misappropriating it as such. My argument is more that the watchtower itself is contrived more than a setup for a strong payoff. Having it been the location of the sword being used wasn't really something properly set up for the right payoff. I feel like they should have seeded that statue with the hilt in an earlier episode to better make use of it, but even then it wouldn't really change my thoughts on how this entire arc was handled. Having the watchtower be an important location felt forced to me, more than actually be intended for its use. In the end, the battle didn't even end up happening there.
    Fair enough.