Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's so collossally fucking stupid that IMO it should be prosecuted as attempted murder in the first degree. There is no earthly reason to stop a patrol car on those tracks, unless the intent is to put a suspect in the car and let the train kill her. There isn't another legitimate reason to have put the car on those tracks; it's at the level of asking a buddy if you can test your new handgun by shooting him in the face, and then shooting him in the face. You can claim you're enough of an idiot that you didn't know what would happen, but no jury on this green Earth should believe your incredibly fucking stupid story.

"It was an accident and we totally didn't know that parking on train tracks was dangerous" is a claim that's so unreasonable that I can't accept it; it falls into the category of things that lie beyond reasonable doubt.
    Yeah it is just mind boggling stupid. There was enough room for the lead car to clear the tracks, but he would of been on the persons bumper, so his spot is probably how they are trained so he should of used the speaker that he had and told the driver to move up 10-15 feet so he could be behind the truck at a safer distance while being clear of the tracks. Just pure incompetence from this department. No chance of getting 1st degree though as it was the male cop who parked there and the female cop who placed the suspect into the guys car. To reach 1st degree you have to have intent to kill that person. You would be able to argue for 2nd degree though.
    Edit: In Colorado this would carry a sentence of 4-12 years followed by 5 years mandatory parole.
    Last edited by Deus Mortis; 2022-09-25 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Edit: In Colorado this would carry a sentence of 4-12 years followed by 5 years mandatory parole.
    In colorado this is, at most, a misdemeanor. The person didn't die. Reckless endangerment is a misdemeanor if no one dies in CO. Regardless of endus' take, that's not reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Earlier this week, a San Antonio cop abruptly confronted a teen eating in a McDonalds parking lot & demanded the teen exit his vehicle.

When the teen asked why, the cop immediately assaulted & then shot him MULTIPLE TIMES. Cop tried to (falsely) claim the teen had struck him 1st

*Warning* Video is in link. Shows cop firing into vehicle. No death or blood.

So for those choosing not to watch vid or open link. Yeah, cop pulled up, said "get out of the car". Driver asked "why". Had both his hands on steering wheel. Cop immediately tried to pull him out of car. Within not even 2 seconds the cop lets go and fires 5 to 6 shots into the car door.

Claims the person struck him but don't see it when he went to grab. Even then, Excessive escalation and violence on the police officer.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Earlier this week, a San Antonio cop abruptly confronted a teen eating in a McDonalds parking lot & demanded the teen exit his vehicle.

When the teen asked why, the cop immediately assaulted & then shot him MULTIPLE TIMES. Cop tried to (falsely) claim the teen had struck him 1st

So for those choosing not to watch vid or open link. Yeah, cop pulled up, said "get out of the car". Driver asked "why". Had both his hands on steering wheel. Cop immediately tried to pull him out of car. Within not even 2 seconds the cop lets go and fires 5 to 6 shots into the car door.

Claims the person struck him but don't see it when he went to grab. Even then, Excessive escalation and violence on the police officer.
    This is being pitched as a "win" because the cop was fired pretty much immediately; https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-lot-rcna51196

Fuck that. This psychopath needs to be charged with, at minimum, attempted murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

Stories like this always make me wonder what the initial thought process of the cop is. There is a car parked on the parking lot of a McDonalds, with a person inside, at a time said McDonalds is open. Why the ever living fuck does the cop even approach the car? What the fuck does he think a person in a McDonalds parking lot is doing in their car?

And after opening the door he sees someone eating, how the fuck does that escalate to shooting him in like 3 seconds? This cop just wanted to shoot somebody, his actions are not explainable with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Stories like this always make me wonder what the initial thought process of the cop is. There is a car parked on the parking lot of a McDonalds, with a person inside, at a time said McDonalds is open. Why the ever living fuck does the cop even approach the car? What the fuck does he think a person in a McDonalds parking lot is doing in their car?
    Because he thought it was the same car that fled him earlier and he couldn't be bothered to confirm the license plate. Just treat them as dangerous suspects until they prove they're innocent, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    And after opening the door he sees someone eating, how the fuck does that escalate to shooting him in like 3 seconds? This cop just wanted to shoot somebody, his actions are not explainable with anything else.
    "Civilians need to stop panicking when a cop points a gun in their face, it makes the cop panic and more likely to shoot them. People need just stay calm and resign themselves to the fact that it's likely they may be shot be a panicky police officer for no reason."

Or something.

5+ Year Old Account
    Jesus fuck!

thought i had seen everything...

..never thought munching on a burger warranted execution...

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-officer...191402281.html
    A Texas police officer who shot and wounded a teenager who had been sitting in his car eating a hamburger has been fired, police said.

San Antonio Officer James Brennand was fired after shooting Erik Cantu, 17, on Oct. 2 in a fast food restaurant parking lot, police training commander Alyssa Campos said in a video statement released Wednesday.

Brennand had responded to an unrelated disturbance at the fast-food restaurant when he saw the Cantu inside the car, which had evaded him a day earlier, Campos said.

A Texas prosecutor said in a statement Friday that he has not seen enough evidence to file charges against the teenager.

“While Sunday’s shooting of an unarmed teenager by a then-San Antonio Police officer remains under investigation, the facts and evidence we have received so far led us to reject the charges against Erik Cantu for further investigation," Bexar County District Attorney Joe Gonzales said.

Brennand, who had been on the force for less than one year, violated his training and police procedures after approaching the car, Campos said.

“The officer abruptly opened the driver’s door and ordered the driver out of the car” before the arrival of backup officers that Brennand had requested, Campos said.

Cantu, in the officer’s body camera video, looks toward Brennand while holding a hamburger, then backs the car away, striking the officer with the open door.

Brennand then opened fire several times as the door closed and Cantu drove away.

Cantu, who was struck by gunfire, stopped nearby where he and a passenger, who was not injured, were found by police.

“There is nothing I can say in defense of that officer’s actions that night,” Police Chief William McManus told WOAI-TV. “I think what happened, initially, there was some contact made, but that did not justify the shooting.”
    Yet, if a civilian did the same exact thing this cop did, they would have been charged immediately. Is it the Qualified Immunity getting in the way?

EDIT: oops, I miss read parts of the article, my bad. But it still seems weird that, even after it came out that the officer wrongly assumed which vehicle it was, that they are still "on the fence" on whether to bring charges on the victim.
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2022-10-08 at 11:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    https://news.yahoo.com/texas-officer...191402281.html

Yet, if a civilian did the same exact thing this cop did, they would have been charged immediately. Is it the Qualified Immunity getting in the way?
    He's literally on video trying to kill an unarmed teenager with his sidearm.

If that's not enough evidence to charge, then they're saying police literally are above the law and entitled to execute people in the street on a whim.

Is he suggesting he didn't draw his weapon and fire? That using lethal force didn't mean an attempt to kill his target? Defenses that a shooting was justified are positive defenses; the officer would have to establish how that shooting was justified. And "I'm a panicky murderous shitbrain" isn't a justification, it's a confession to criminality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    He's literally on video trying to kill an unarmed teenager with his sidearm.

If that's not enough evidence to charge, then they're saying police literally are above the law and entitled to execute people in the street on a whim.
    No no no. Read that again.

The prosecutor is saying that they don't have enough evidence (pending "further investigation") to charge the KID WHO WAS SHOT (Erik Cantu).

He's not even thinking about charging the pig (James Brennand).
    Last edited by Masark; 2022-10-08 at 10:37 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    No no no. Read that again.

The prosecutor is saying that they don't have enough evidence (pending "further investigation") to charge the KID WHO WAS SHOT (Erik Cantu).

He's not even thinking about charging the pig (James Brennand).
    What the everloving fuck.

This is right up there with the shit going on in Iran.

As the article points out:
    Gonzales, the district attorney, said no decision had been made on whether to pursue charges against Brennand, pending the outcome of a police investigation into the shooting.

“As we do with all officer-involved shootings that result in death or serious injury, we will submit the case to a Grand Jury for their consideration. Until that happens, we can make no further comment on this matter,” Gonzales said.
    It looks like it might be a little longer before we find out if the officer will be charged (which obviously he should). However it is Texas so I will be prepared to be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    As the article points out:

It looks like it might be a little longer before we find out if the officer will be charged (which obviously he should). However it is Texas so I will be prepared to be disappointed.
    It's going to say something similar to this: "we investigated ourselves, and we found no wrongdoing. back the blue".

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    It's going to say something similar to this: "we investigated ourselves, and we found no wrongdoing. back the blue".
    I expect it to be more along the lines of "We investigated...and we found that the department did nothing wrong. It's just this one guy that fucked up and we fired him. The rest of us cops are good though. Trust us."
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I expect it to be more along the lines of "We investigated...and we found that the department did nothing wrong. It's just this one guy that fucked up and we fired him. The rest of us cops are good though. Trust us."
    He absolutely should be charged for attempted murder.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    He absolutely should be charged for attempted murder.
    He should be charged with 2 counts of attempted murder...there was another person in the car.

I'm just saying what the police are going to say about the incident.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Good news and some not so good news about the case about the cop shooting at a teen eating a burger in a McDonald's Parking Lot.

The cop was charged!

Bad news is that it's not Attempted Murder.

https://news.yahoo.com/ex-texas-cop-...003107379.html
    SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A now-former San Antonio police officer was charged Tuesday with two counts of aggravated assault by a peace officer for shooting and gravely wounding a teen eating a hamburger in his car in a McDonald’s parking lot. The teen had begun driving away when the officer opened fire.

James Brennand, 25, was charged in the Oct. 2 shooting of Erik Cantu, 17, according to a police statement. He turned himself in to police Tuesday night and remained in custody, said Police Chief William McManus.

Cantu is still unconscious and on life support, his family said Tuesday.

“There is no improvement in his condition,” the family said in a statement delivered by their lawyer, Brian Powers. “The last two days have been difficult, and we expect more difficulty ahead, but we remain hopeful.”
    I guess something is better than nothing; but still aggravated assault instead of attempted murder?

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess something is better than nothing; but still aggravated assault instead of attempted murder?
    10 shots with lethal force. Apparently not an attempt to kill the kid, who still might die from his wounds. Reduced charges because the attacker's a cop is nothing more than corruption. Literally the definition.

Good news and some not so good news about the case about the cop shooting at a teen eating a burger in a McDonald's Parking Lot.

The cop was charged!

Bad news is that it's not Attempted Murder.

https://news.yahoo.com/ex-texas-cop-...003107379.html

It's a lot harder to prove the police officer had the specific intent to murder, rather than recklessly causing serious bodily injury (for which there is a substantial risk of death). The defending attorney for Brennand has a lot more options at hand to summon a defense for the former, and a jury has a much increased likelihood to let the cop off for the former charge. For the aggravated assault charge, Texas prosecutors get the same level of punishment for a reduced burden on what they must prove.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Yeah, because shooting someone with multiple rounds is definitely not intending to kill! /s

There is no spot on the human body where it is safe to shoot someone. There are arteries all over the place. Bones don't grow back. Stop with this bullshit about how it's hard to determine intent when the cop FIRED MULTIPLE ROUNDS!