I just don't get it. Tying the game is a bad thing apparently. If you fail to get the 2pts you can lose without KC even scoring. They can just drain the clock and it is game over. Did the Raiders think by going up by 1 they'd suddenly win the game with that much time left? I don't understand it at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Good job Raiders you deserved to lose that game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a reminder, this could've been a tie without that stupid decision

10+ Year Old Account
    That last play was an absolute clownshow.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    that’s some angels in the outfield type shit.

In other news I can’t believe “intercept cancer” is an actual slogan, let alone on clothes that actual adults wear
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Receivers running into each other on 4th and 1 instead of running it when your running back is average over 7 ypc is something.

The AFCW has some coaches that make some interesting decisions. Glad everyone gets to see these dumpster fires in prime time.
    Last edited by Grube; 2022-10-11 at 03:30 AM.

Just think if some of these coaches were forced to take a test on game management situations and what they'd do in situations that could weed out some of the bafflingly stupid choices that are being made.

It's officially Bills vs. Chiefs week. Thanks Raiders for exposing their defense. Time to dream up some scheme to beat them while we ignore a week's worth of national coverage on :13 seconds in the divisional round last year.

At this point I don't know what defines sacking the QB. I know the Bills benefitted from a weak roughing call vs the ravens, but at least the contact was after Allen threw the ball. Still weak.

Last night's call was a travesty. If the Bills benefitted from a legit sack being ruled as roughing, I'd feel dirty. What are the rule makers doing to the NFL?
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    At this point I don't know what defines sacking the QB. I know the Bills benefitted from a weak roughing call vs the ravens, but at least the contact was after Allen threw the ball. Still weak.

Last night's call was a travesty. If the Bills benefitted from a legit sack being ruled as roughing, I'd feel dirty. What are the rule makers doing to the NFL?
    I don't think the NFL knows what's a legal sack anymore either. They haven't for years (since at least the "body weight" rule change) but it's only been getting worse. Feels like we're really just waiting on some owner to figure out language for a rule change to make tackling a QB in the pocket at all a flag.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I don't think the NFL knows what's a legal sack anymore either. They haven't for years (since at least the "body weight" rule change) but it's only been getting worse. Feels like we're really just waiting on some owner to figure out language for a rule change to make tackling a QB in the pocket at all a flag.
    Rodger Goodell, stepping up to the podium:

"Good evening ladies and gentleman, welcome. We called you here tonight for this press conference on an EXCITING new rule change that is going to take place starting pre-season games this coming season.

As we all know the Quarterback on a team is one of the main moneymakers cornerstones of the team, and we feel we can do a better job as the NFL in protecting them. Now, in the past we often tried to achieve that through ineffective means that hurt the defense in their efforts to stop the offense from scoring.

To adress both these issues we have come up with a radical new innovation with a groovy modern name, "Banner Ball"!

The idea is that every player gets several banners attached to their waist and that the goal of the defense is to remove one of those banners, at which point the referee will blow his whistle and stop play.

We feel that this way we can protect our investment our players while still having the excitement of real NFL football. Early testing indicates it will reduce injuries significantly and that the speed of play will go up a great deal, with players no longer having to encumber themselves with body armor.

So I hope everyone is excited as we are about Banner Ball and will join us in the transition. We will not be taking questions at this time, but you can direct queries at our PR officers who will summarily burn answer them.

Thank you and good night."

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard a rumor the NFL is interested in having football on Thursdays, can't wait til we eventually get some NFL football.
    /s

I didn't know teams were allowed to score touchdowns.

10+ Year Old Account
    The NFL used to always say they had a problem getting enough quality QBs. I think this may have been a lie for most of the time and it's not so much that we don't have enough talented QBs, but that we lack the quality coaching staffs to properly develop them.

Like, if any team other than the Bears had gotten Justin Fields, what would the result have been? Cause I'm seeing what the Ravens did with Lamar Jackson and what the Seahawks have been coaxing out of Geno Smith, and I can;t help but think that Fields could have been a servicable QB for some team.

Not saying Fields would be a superbowl contender, but like top 15 QB, someone you can get to the playoffs with. I think the talent is there and this is not a Dwayne Haskins situation. Right now he is on the fast track to be out of the league in 3 years cause he's being taught all kinds of bad habits and getting beat to snot. And I think that is far more on the shoulders of the coaching staff than on Fields.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Like, if any team other than the Bears had gotten Justin Fields, what would the result have been? Cause I'm seeing what the Ravens did with Lamar Jackson and what the Seahawks have been coaxing out of Geno Smith, and I can;t help but think that Fields could have been a servicable QB for some team.
    Outside of his throwing motion (which is better than it was his 1st year at Ohio State), his other issues would be very hard for a coach to correct once he got to the NFL. The lack of quality QBs (same thing for o-line) is they aren't coached how to play the positions in high school and college. They just rely on their athletic ability and having superior talent around them. They are pretty much doomed if they have no idea how to read a defense and not take sacks like Fields does by this point.

The bigger school QBs usually have wide open receivers every play too. For Fields specifically, he had Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson getting most of their targets (plus had JK Dobbins). Ohio State had been so stacked at WR that Jameson Williams had to transfer to get playing time last year. CJ Stroud will have this issue too. He had Olave/Wilson last year (neither were even their top receiver) and still is throwing to 3 receivers that will likely be 1st round picks, plus has a running back that had 1500 yards and 19 TDs as a freshman.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's been a certain degredation in quality in various positions over the last decade. Finding decent offensive tackles now seems to be like finding a needle in a haystack.

That said the Bears also haven't had a quality QB in forever, that's a front office issue, successive GMs who failed to identify the right coaches to teach and scheme for two very high draft picks.

Mitch is a bust and if they continue to misuse Fields so will he.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's easy to miss on good coaches when you rule out a majority of your applicants just with one look.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    It's easy to miss on good coaches when you rule out a majority of your applicants just with one look.
    Are you talking about the team that had Lovie Smith for like a decade?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Are you talking about the team that had Lovie Smith for like a decade?
    Oh no I'm talking the general crisis of good coaching staffs in the league right now.

When you're hiring a Patriots Special Teams guy, for instance, you probably have this problem.

Man Saints are going into this game without their top 3 receivers, Winston is likely playing as a backup today and our returner went on IR. Might need to be the Taysom Hill show again today.

- - - Updated - - -

Another bad roughing the passer call this year, this one against the Saints.

Going to a bar for the Bills 4:30 game at KC. Haven't been to a bar for a Bills game since peak drought era, will be crazy to be there in a game with expectations.

If we win I might not be back til tomorrow.