Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I call Zelenksy that because if you visit Ukrainian hubs and hear his speeches, he regularly says things like "Russia must be stopped for the sake of democracy" or "Ukraine's fate will decide world democracy"

I'm convinced he genuinely thinks he's carrying out justice in some capacity right now.
    So you have your own personal headcanon rather than deal with reality.

The point is by accepting SA's "goodwill" Zelensky is kind of making a devil's deal that carries broader implications after the war is over. This is the regime that orchestrated 9/11 and has a tenous alliance hanging by a thread in regard to the US.

Also, since I didn't in my post, here's one source for the big news today.

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-719718
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

The point is by accepting SA's "goodwill" Zelensky is kind of making a devil's deal that carries broader implications after the war is over.
    Like what? Lay it out for us, specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It really is impressive how you managed to have some of the worst, most uninformed takes on almost every topic in this thread.

He was called a "champion of democracy" by Trudeau, but he's actually just a guy trying to protect his country who will accept just about any help offered.
    If I was in his position and China would donate a billion dollars I'd also say ''Thank you''

- - - Updated - - -

Nuclear war :roonya:

Saudi Arabia is a genocidal, authoritarian regime donating to Ukraine after their recent dealings with Russia. When you take a loan from an entity like that, they will want something out of you when the war is over. What that is? I do not fucking know, and if you follow the headlines, no one knows either what game Saudi Arabia is playing. All we can speculate is it's no good and, of course, it's only for their own gain.

The first and foremost gain though is PR after stirring the pot with the US again over the oil deal with Russia and the massive backlash that came with it.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Saudi Arabia is a genocidal, authoritarian regime donating to Ukraine after their recent dealings with Russia. When you take a loan
    Whoa now, which is it? Donation or loan? If there was a loan I imagine there was some paperwork to sign about things like interest rates. What's the APR on the loan, if it is a loan?

an entity like that, they will want something out of you when the war is over.
    So they'll want something, but you don't know what they want, but you know they'll want it.

And Ukraine is...obligated to give it to them? How do you figure?

So they'll want something, but you don't know what they want, but you know they'll want it.

And Ukraine is...obligated to give it to them? How do you figure?
    I'm no expert on geopolitics, but I'm pretty sure SA is looking to branch out from the US' grip/sphere of influence due to extreme tensions with Joe Biden.

Ukraine seems like an opportunity for that with the world turning against Russia right now for the most part.

And that's why it's a shitty situation. A lot of shitty authoritarian countries could give Ukraine money and aid, and if they just happily take it, it can be a good PR card in the face of Russia being designated the most evil state.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-10-15 at 12:54 AM.

I'm no expert on geopolitics
    The first true thing you've said.

I'm no expert on geopolitics, but I'm pretty sure SA is looking to branch out from the US' grip/sphere of influence due to extreme tensions with Joe Biden.
    So...it's an influence attempt then? That's different than a loan.

And that's why it's a shitty situation. A lot of shitty authoritarian countries could give Ukraine money and aid, and if they just happily take it, it can be a good PR card in the face of Russia being designated the most evil state.
    Is it working? Do you have a higher opinion of Saudi Arabia?

A lot of shitty authoritarian countries could give Ukraine money and aid, and if they just happily take it, it can be a good PR card in the face of Russia being designated the most evil state.
    "Yeah, Russia is trying to actively genocide your country, but you accepted aid offered by bad people to fight them. Clearly, you're the worst kind of scum imaginable."

Is it working? Do you have a higher opinion of Saudi Arabia?
    No. But from what I unfortunately saw, people don’t condemn Zelenksy for his gratitude, and even cited the aid SA gave as “decent” for what it is.

No.
    Well that's great then! So Ukraine gets $400M in humanitarian aide while Saudi Arabia gets no benefit because people see through the stunt.

That sounds like great news for everyone!

Well that's great then! So Ukraine gets $400M in humanitarian aide while Saudi Arabia gets no benefit because people see through the stunt.

That sounds like great news for everyone!
    That's just *me* and my sentiments, though. There are other people and Saudi Arabia has international relations to maintain. Others may likely see it as a likable move.

No. But from what I unfortunately saw, people don’t condemn Zelenksy for his gratitude, and even cited the aid SA gave as “decent” for what it is.
    Welcome to international politics. Morals have no place in it. Only interests.

15+ Year Old Account
    SA wants some poorly veiled public goodwill after OPEC rolling Biden recently. 400M$ is nothing but sounds good.
    Thats all.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    SA wants some poorly veiled public goodwill after OPEC rolling Biden recently. 400M$ is nothing but sounds good.
    Thats all.
    400 million is not "nothing", it's a sizable chunk of money, certainly more than the paltry 1.5 million donated by China. (At the beginning, maybe they've donated more later.)

Russian milibloggers (well, those not arrested) are going into panic again, reporting a major Ukrainian offensive near Kherson. They are reporting 30-60k Ukrainian troops are advancing are heavy artillery barrages.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1...y5KIE3N6pYu-Aw

Bit early to say if it is anything or usual russian hysterics over not much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Russian milibloggers (well, those not arrested) are going into panic again, reporting a major Ukrainian offensive near Kherson. They are reporting 30-60k Ukrainian troops are advancing are heavy artillery barrages.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1...y5KIE3N6pYu-Aw

Bit early to say if it is anything or usual russian hysterics over not much.
    To be fair, combined with the evacuation...sorry, with "the opportunity for people to change their surroundings", I'm not even joking that's how it is called in the russian media, there might be some truth in this.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Ukraine wants this done BEFORE they need to go north to slaughter the Joint army group of Belarus and russia. (If they invade as well, I'm still not completely convinced Luka will be that stupid.)
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-10-15 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Corrected quote.

I'm seeing other, reputable channels also talking about it so there may be something to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I'm seeing other, reputable channels also talking about it so there may be something to it.
    Well news here are that Putin send troops to Belarus (unknown number) to prevent any terorists attacks. If this is true (wich i dont think so, as the news souce is un-trusty), this means they would force Belorus army to attack Ukraine under a gunpoint.
    Don't sweat the details!!!