Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    My statement remains unchanged unless they are prepared to offer a binding legal agreement to those dates (hint: they aren't).

I've been around this block more than once... don't be upset if that changes dramatically is all I'm telling you. It might happen the way they say it'll happen. It also might not. Don't cry crocodile tears if it doesn't happen and does a 180.

Companies, both big and small, make promises all the time and end up falling flat. Especially gaming companies. Especially Blizzard.

If a company is not willing to legally bind themselves to their plans (no company should) - then it is best to prepare yourself as though those plans will vaporize.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    Kinda weird to report it on a wow site.

That is alright I guess?

I admit I have no idea how to judge popularity in f2p games. What is its competition fortnite and counter strike?

I think it fills a niche I'm sure people enjoy.
    Planetside 2. which is pretty awesome

7+ Year Old Account
    How is the f2p? Is the monetization just skins?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Well, we'll see. They're gonna be pumping out new content way faster than they ever did with OW1.
    Well yeah, because they can now directly charge for them. Conversely, a lot less people will own any new cosmetics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sinaa View Post
    Buy coins to buy skins/banners/taunts/emotes/sprays/titles/souvenirs/new heroes/voice lines/charms/PotG animations from the shop, as well as buying the battle pass that has a lot of the fanciest skins locked behind, as well as new heroes.

Basically, if it's not a core gameplay element, it's now for sale on the store/battle pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremelyCrusty View Post
    Overwatch 1.5**
    This lol. Like the other 24,999,999 players I logged in to check it out and found it was just OW 1 with basically no major differences and a somehow even more irritating monetization scheme.

So, my guess is they won't be bragging about NEXT months MAU numbers for OW "2".

MAYBE I'll keep it installed so I can pick up the Twitch Prime free lootz that they're inevitably going to start showering us with as they desperately try to keep those numbers up.
    Last edited by PixelFox; 2022-10-16 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinaa View Post
    It's mostly cosmetics - not only skins, but also emotes, banners and some other shit. For people with battle pass, the new hero, Kiriko, is available from the start. If you want to go full f2p, you can unlock her by reaching certain reward level (by just playing the game). Basically, if you don't care about cosmetics, you can play it for free. I am plaing it like that since the release, and since I don't give a damn about skins (not sure why would I, I can even see myself in a fpp game), I'm having lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    This lol. Like the other 24,999,999 players I logged in to check it out and found it was just OW 1 with basically no major differences and a somehow even more irritating monetization scheme.

So, my guess is they won't be bragging about NEXT months MAU numbers for OW "2".

MAYBE I'll keep it installed so I can pick up the Twitch Prime free lootz that they're inevitably going to start showering us with as they desperately try to keep those numbers up.
    Honestly I'm starting to feel like people expected overwatch 2 to suddenly be like, an open world shoot and loot game or something.

The format of the game changed. Passives were added. Tanks are far more impactful now but less able to turtle infinitely like before.

Those have shaken up the way the game is played enough.

Imagine complaining about a shooter as polished and responsive as OW/OW2 being completely f2p but charging for cosmetics. You could literally be broke and live in your mom's basement and still play competitively 24/7 at no cost and no disadvantage vs anyone else, but damn, if you want an extra flashy emote you'd have to get lucky with a free lootbox that you get from just playing, or pay for it. Outrageous!

You know what's also free? Whining! Let's do that instead.
    Last edited by Nereidaa; 2022-10-16 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Well yeah, because they can now directly charge for them. Conversely, a lot less people will own any new cosmetics.

- - - Updated - - -

Buy coins to buy skins/banners/taunts/emotes/sprays/titles/souvenirs/new heroes/voice lines/charms/PotG animations from the shop, as well as buying the battle pass that has a lot of the fanciest skins locked behind, as well as new heroes.

Basically, if it's not a core gameplay element, it's now for sale on the store/battle pass.
    You would'nt class "new heroes" a core gameplay element?
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    At no point have I claimed people weren't getting gold from the token or that gold can not be used to acquire power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    p2w is not inherently unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    You would'nt class "new heroes" a core gameplay element?
    They should lower the requirement to like, 20 on the battle pass for free, honestly.

I think that's more than fair but you don't need to make a purchase still technically

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Honestly I'm starting to feel like people expected overwatch 2 to suddenly be like, an open world shoot and loot game or something.

The format of the game changed. Passives were added. Tanks are far more impactful now but less able to turtle infinitely like before.

Those have shaken up the way the game is played enough.
    What ill say, is if this had been marketed as an expansion, like wow or other games, there would be less complaining. But, they have made substantial changes to the base game, with now being 5v5, and have made sweeping and substantial changes to all characters. The graphical changes are not substantial, but are there, and because of the art style, there wont be much of a shift - this is Blizzard we are talking about, there is a reason they almost exclusively use this "cartoony" style - its timeless and not particularly demanding on hardware.

Im really not sure where people are finding all the hate? Im guessing its just people seeking out content creators and forum threads that agree with their POV, and ignoring all the ones loving the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

I think it's funny that the chronically online constantly shit on every new game that comes out, while they continue to set records. It's triple the peak of the original Overwatch, apparently - but you'll still hear forums explode with rage about how terrible it is and how it's 'dead' and whatever. Comical.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    I think it's funny that the chronically online constantly shit on every new game that comes out, while they continue to set records. It's triple the peak of the original Overwatch, apparently - but you'll still hear forums explode with rage about how terrible it is and how it's 'dead' and whatever. Comical.
    You can't measure success of a F2P game based on the amount of players the same way you can the purchase of a game that costs $60. Plus, if you're going to call any person who dislikes the game, regardless of if their reasoning is good or not, "chronically online" to insult them, then your opinion probably doesn't mean much either

How anyone could look at the monetization in this game and think "This is fine because it's F2P" is the only real comical thing about OW2.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    How is 25 million in 10 days bad?
    Because it's much less than what they used to have, and the game is (A) new and (B) free to play...

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticDreamer View Post
    Because it's much less than what they used to have, and the game is (A) new and (B) free to play...
    It took Overwatch 1 three years to hit 50m accounts. OW2 did half of that in 10 days.

For other free to play game comparisons.
    Diablo Immortals took a month to hit 20m downloads.
    Lost Ark hit 20m players a month after releasing their NA servers. Worldwide players though, so that includes the ones that were already around in Korea.

25m in 10 days is great, by literally all standards.

They should lower the requirement to like, 20 on the battle pass for free, honestly.

I think that's more than fair but you don't need to make a purchase still technically
    What are you talking about? I asked the poster to clarify if he considered a new hero was a core gameplay element. Why did that incite the Blizzard defence league?
    At no point have I claimed people weren't getting gold from the token or that gold can not be used to acquire power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    p2w is not inherently unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    What are you talking about? I asked the poster to clarify if he considered a new hero was a core gameplay element. Why did that incite the Blizzard defence league?
    ...what are you talking about?

I pointed out that it still is free but they could reduce the restriction of it. Why is someone adding onto your comment but also disagreeing suddenly worth mocking them instead of actually discussing it?

It took Overwatch 1 three years to hit 50m accounts. OW2 did half of that in 10 days.

For other free to play game comparisons.
    Diablo Immortals took a month to hit 20m downloads.
    Lost Ark hit 20m players a month after releasing their NA servers. Worldwide players though, so that includes the ones that were already around in Korea.

25m in 10 days is great, by literally all standards.
    Except that that includes all the players that had their OW1 account hijacked by Blizzard. None of the people on my friend's list are happy with OW2 at the moment and none of them had any intent of buying OW2 at launch when it was still going to be a paid game. But now they have no choice because they have to play OW2 if they still want to somewhat have access to the game they fucking paid for. This was of course intentional on Blizzard's part to pad their numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei View Post
    Except that that includes all the players that had their OW1 account hijacked by Blizzard. None of the people on my friend's list are happy with OW2 at the moment and none of them had any intent of buying OW2 at launch when it was still going to be a paid game. But now they have no choice because they have to play OW2 if they still want to somewhat have access to the game they fucking paid for. This was of course intentional on Blizzard's part to pad their numbers.
    I've already covered this.

Unless the claim is that Overwatch has 25m or more players when the server shut down, it's irrelevant because it's still growth then. And judging by how quick the queues go now compared to before, it's pretty clear there's more players than before.