Page 1 of 2
LastLast

People seem uninterested in WoW

I know it's not a good form to convey this, but WoW Dragonflight cinematic has 2.7 mil views and it has been 5 months already, comparing to other cinematics, it was between 8mil and 35 mil.

I was off grid for sometime and I wasn't following any news/dramas/updates to Wow, so my question is, what happend?

It's a 18 year old game, there's only so long people can be interested in a game, it's inevitable people lose interest

I'm surprised Blizzard has not started working on WoW 2 yet, a new engine, new take on the world would be interesting to see

Quote Originally Posted by Drakenoteeth View Post
    I know it's not a good form to convey this, but WoW Dragonflight cinematic has 2.7 mil views and it has been 5 months already, comparing to other cinematics, it was between 8mil and 35 mil.

I was off grid for sometime and I wasn't following any news/dramas/updates to Wow, so my question is, what happend?
    The cinematics really help a lot... The SL cinematic got me to sub at the beginning of the expansion ( I'm usually the type to wait to the end for everything to be unlocked and the grinds nerfed).

Honestly i didn't even know Dragonflight had a cinematic or even if they had a reveal at gamescon or anything like that; kind of just popped up out of nowhere.

Edit: Okay i just watched the cinematic... No wonder it hasn't been advertised or hyped... It's very boring and anticlimactic.
    Last edited by cozzri; 2022-10-17 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Views and reactions on a cinematic do not convey the interest of players. I have people on my friend list who are hyped for the next one and haven't even clicked the damn cinematic (that I have repeatedly tried to share with them), and then not to mention said cinematic being reposted elsewhere, or split posted by tons of reacting channels. That said, many do get fueled and hyped for content by seeing the trailer, but in the end, the true numbers is the box release numbers, which is to be enhanced by the pre-purchase numbers.

And let us not forget the numbers, we're most likely not above 5 million players, or even 4, but I do believe we are above 2 million, not bad for a game that is soon 18 years old, running on a game engine that is some 20 years old.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cozzri View Post
    Honestly i didn't even know Dragonflight had a cinematic or even if they had a reveal at gamescon or anything like that; kind of just popped up out of nowhere.
    The biggest loss is that they didn't sneak in content like BFA or even Shadowlands did, we have seen nothing extra except for Blizzard sneakily re-releasing Dragon-themed audiobooks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
    It's a 18 year old game, there's only so long people can be interested in a game, it's inevitable people lose interest

I'm surprised Blizzard has not started working on WoW 2 yet, a new engine, new take on the world would be interesting to see
    I do truly hope they have a crew working on a new engine in the background, and that a WoW2 would take place some decades in the future.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Nothing special happened, the game is nearing 20 years and it’s on its usual rollercoaster.

I’m honestly surprised it lived this far, if I think I started playing in 2005, the year my son was born, and now he’s almost ready for university and I’m still playing here and there… well, it gives me chills.

This will probably get closed for being a ''WoW is dead/dying'' thread'', but this does seem to be the truth considering the low amount of hype for DF. I'd say people are just fed up with Blizzard at this point after the past 2 expansions being dissapointments. It doesn't help that they constantly get themselves into a bad spotlight either. Also the competition is getting a lot more steep as time goes on. Even Classic WotLK has been taking WoW's spotlight for most time.

who cares about cinematics views

They keep doubling down on garbage that nobody asks or wants from the game. The feedback is given, but they think they know better, so every expansion has failed since WoD. They're arrogant and refuse to accept that they don't know better for the game. Hence how we're getting Dragonflight with no real new systems other than Dragonriding which has been pretty negatively portrayed within the community playing beta. What else does Dragonflight offer? Talent trees that don't change anything from how classes already play, a UI overhaul that's 15 years overdue and doesn't add anything that addons already did, and a profession "revamp"(if you can even call it that) it's literally Shadowlands 2.0 with professions and it's going to be worse this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

bear in mind that older cinematics might have more views because they have had several years more time to accumulate them than the most recent one
    No matter how relevant the post, I will stop reading after 'should of'.

This is like saying Twitch views is an indicator of a game's success.

Unsure why that cinematic would be less than others, but that has nothing to do with the game itself.

My recommendation would be to not worry about what "people" think about games you enjoy though.
    Play and have fun, or don't. But don't ever let some one other than you influence your thoughts on what is and isn't fun about a game like this.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Nothing happened. It's a 20 year old game that has gotten an expansion every two years or so since the mid 2000s. So now people are long since used to expansions coming out and it's no longer "OMG WHAT IS THIS!?!" turbo hype, but simply the expected. This cinematic in particular is also a fairly straighforward and non-actiony one. It doesn't have any massive twists, shocks, or callbacks the way some of the others do (see: WoD) so there's less buzz about watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    They keep doubling down on garbage that nobody asks or wants from the game. The feedback is given, but they think they know better, so every expansion has failed since WoD. They're arrogant and refuse to accept that they don't know better for the game. Hence how we're getting Dragonflight with no real new systems other than Dragonriding which has been pretty negatively portrayed within the community playing beta. What else does Dragonflight offer? Talent trees that don't change anything from how classes already play, a UI overhaul that's 15 years overdue and doesn't add anything that addons already did, and a profession "revamp"(if you can even call it that) it's literally Shadowlands 2.0 with professions and it's going to be worse this time around.
    Lmao.

Gen Z makes up the majority of the gaming growth market nowadays and for them WoW is at best nothing special, at worst some old shit they don't care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Enter Name Here View Post
    bear in mind that older cinematics might have more views because they have had several years more time to accumulate them than the most recent one
    I mostly have dragons in mind when I watch this expansion's cinematic.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicAnomaly22 View Post
    This is like saying Twitch views is an indicator of a game's success.
    Working at a game company and having sat through numerous presentations over the years from marketing people that included slides showing the twitch activity of competing games, it certainly is.
    Last edited by ClownPrincess; 2022-10-17 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I mostly have dragons in mind when I watch this expansion's cinematic.
    i had to read it twice to get it. have a cookie. you earned it. that was funny
    No matter how relevant the post, I will stop reading after 'should of'.

People are fatigued and lost interest after the last 4 years of Blizzards bullsh*t, it's not only the cinematic btw. ask this sites admins, wowhead or other youtube content creators.

The good thing however is that Legion has pretty much shown how easy it can be to turn things around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Mate, people asked for fewer systems.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Have to keep things in perspective with view counts. Some of those previous expansion cinematics have been on YT for 12 years. Those are going to have a lot more views than an expansion not released yet that was just posted 5 months ago.

Beyond that, also be skeptical of YT bloggers posting right now about low/declining wow #'s, etc. Of course #'s are low, we're 99% through Shadowlands. Wow has always been cyclical through expansion lives for player counts and popularity. The first 1-2 months after expansion release is a big jump, curving down towards the lowest point right about now late in them. So it's cherry picking to pick the lowest point of that curve right now as a measure of popularity. Those #'s will be completely different in 2-3 months.

As far as the anticipation and pre-release excitement, like any game before it's out except for those with beta access it's just a matter of waiting right now. I'd also say at least anecdotally the servers do not seem quite as barren as 1 month before release in prior expansions. I was on one realm years ago that had less than 30 Alliance players online 1 month before release. Now that's barren.