10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Good luck topping all the horrendous calls to date.
    Refs will be like "watch this" after reading that.

What would be the worst missed call by the refs in the past ten years? We can't count the replacement ref Fail Mary game because that is too easy. I still think it is the blatant missed pass interference call by the Rams against the Saints in the playoffs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    What would be the worst missed call by the refs in the past ten years? We can't count the replacement ref Fail Mary game because that is too easy. I still think it is the blatant missed pass interference call by the Rams against the Saints in the playoffs.
    Idk if it’s the worst but that was the first thing that came to mind.

Isn’t the fail Mary over 10 years at this point? Yeah sep 24, 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Idk if it’s the worst but that was the first thing that came to mind.

Isn’t the fail Mary over 10 years at this point? Yeah sep 24, 2012.
    I was just guessing on the fail mary but I don't count it even if it was still in that 10 year window just because it was replacement refs. I wonder what other blown calls people can think of that are just as bad as the 'No call in NOLA'. I draw a blank there.

Probably this one.

Fail Mary was the right call, anyway. I mean...yeah they missed Tate's OPI (a call that frequently gets called on Hail Marys, right?), but the TD call was actually correct.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Probably this one.

Fail Mary was the right call, anyway. I mean...yeah they missed Tate's OPI (a call that frequently gets called on Hail Marys, right?), but the TD call was actually correct.
    Tate was the first person with two feet down, and two hands on the ball. The defender had the ball in his hands, but was in mid air, and only had one foot down when Tate grabbed it. It was a freak play that the rule book didn't account for. OPI was for sure there, but they rarely call that on hail marys even today.

I still think Ben Roethlisberger's rushing "TD" in SB40 was the biggest blunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I still think Ben Roethlisberger's rushing "TD" in SB40 was the biggest blunder.
    Ok that was in what the 2005 season? I don’t even remember this one. I used ten years just because those are more likely to still be remembered.

Went and watched that one yeah sorry that wouldn’t even make a top 10 of ref botches.
    Last edited by Kyanion; 2022-10-19 at 07:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok that was in what the 2005 season? I don’t even remember this one. I used ten years just because those are more likely to still be remembered.

Went and watched that one yeah sorry that wouldn’t even make a top 10 of ref botches.
    Curious as to the top 10. I can only think of like 3 that are debatable bigger blunders. One has been mentioned multiple times. The rest muddles together especially in recent memory due to sports betting being big.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Curious as to the top 10. I can only think of like 3 that are debatable bigger blunders. One has been mentioned multiple times. The rest muddles together especially in recent memory due to sports betting being big.
    Yeah it feels that way too, like we know in general refs are lacking due to not being full time, many being too old to handle the speed of the game and the third factor to me is lack of using technology that can solve many problems, such as chips in the ball for out of bounds, crossing the goal line and still relying on 2 guys with a chain to measure the spot of the ball. Like come on.

Was the Calvin Johnson play where he caught a game-winning TD and then basically placed the ball on the turf and it was called incomplete in the last 10 years?

The whole "what is a catch" era at its peak was a fucking travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Was the Calvin Johnson play where he caught a game-winning TD and then basically placed the ball on the turf and it was called incomplete in the last 10 years?

The whole "what is a catch" era at its peak was a fucking travesty.
    To be fair the 'process of the catch' and 'football move' after catching the ball are all pretty bad too. But yes there are a number of 'is it a catch' ones that are pretty bad, think a Dallas playoff game one was like that too.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Zach Miller broken leg TD reversal is still the worst one for me.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    The index card.

And anyone who tries to defend that horseshit is dead to me.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    The index card.

I was strictly speaking on catch/no-catch, if we're talking all ref gaffes, then I have a clear choice.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    The index card.

We paid off the index card industry. Y'all shoulda offered more

10+ Year Old Account
    I was strictly speaking on catch/no-catch, if we're talking all ref gaffes, then I have a clear choice.
    I saw mention of rushing plays and such, so I assumed we're talking all time horror shows.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it feels that way too, like we know in general refs are lacking due to not being full time, many being too old to handle the speed of the game and the third factor to me is lack of using technology that can solve many problems, such as chips in the ball for out of bounds, crossing the goal line and still relying on 2 guys with a chain to measure the spot of the ball. Like come on.
    Thing that kills me is that even without adding sensors, camera tech is so good right now and still we have terrible goal line views. Zooming in is a pixelated mess. No cameras on the sticks. Just insane.

The Zach Miller broken leg TD reversal is still the worst one for me.
    I forgot about that one for good reason. Thats another ridiculous botched call, and it was reviewed due to it being a scoring play.

I still don't know how you can put sensors on the field itself. I'd say put them at the goal line, and in mobile down markers (instead of the chains), and make the technology form a laser between the sidelines? Don't know how feasible that is, but it's not as simple as putting sensors at every yard line.

Also, there's some interesting questions on how you put sensors in the ball itself, which I'd like to see how EPL does it. I'd say two, one in each tip, should be good enough, but there are rare examples (IE when the ball is cradled in the arm) that the side might cross the line when the tip doesn't. In European football, the main concern is if the whole ball is over the line, so if you put enough sensors on the perimeter of the ball, you just check for any time two opposing sensors are over the line for the ref's watch to go off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    If Dallas went 17-0, breezed through the playoffs, then lost the Super Bowl in overtime on the most obvious bullshit ref call ever, 99.9% of NFL fans would call them a bad team that were overrated. Meanwhile, they beat both of last year's Super Bowl teams, gave the Giants their only loss, and held the only undefeated team left to their lowest yards per play by a long shot. All with a backup quarterback.
    I covered the Giants and Eagles in the other post, but I'm not sure if you've noticed that both of last years super bowl teams are pretty mediocre this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I still don't know how you can put sensors on the field itself. I'd say put them at the goal line, and in mobile down markers (instead of the chains), and make the technology form a laser between the sidelines? Don't know how feasible that is, but it's not as simple as putting sensors at every yard line.

Also, there's some interesting questions on how you put sensors in the ball itself, which I'd like to see how EPL does it. I'd say two, one in each tip, should be good enough, but there are rare examples (IE when the ball is cradled in the arm) that the side might cross the line when the tip doesn't. In European football, the main concern is if the whole ball is over the line, so if you put enough sensors on the perimeter of the ball, you just check for any time two opposing sensors are over the line for the ref's watch to go off.
    I don't think we need sensors. Just need cameras + AI. If you have multiple cameras on the ball, you can precisely map exactly where the ball is at an exact moment. E.g. if the player is reaching for the goal line and trying to determine if the knee is down before crossing the plane.

But the NFL doesn't want that. They always want a human element able to change the course of the game. Same with the MLB with reports of the robo zone not being considered for the majors.